BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,892
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
While there are so many controversies playing by grade, there is another issue when we push this sport to international. School starts differently for different countries.

Eventually I think we need some kind of age pure (like in soccer) that everyone play based on their year born.

Never happen with current system in place. To much influence by private schools and Clubs on USL. The HQ is in heart of Holdback Country.

Most of top Clubs all along the East Coast are littered with holdbacks. And it is not going away. South and West are now getting into act and bringing teams with hodbacks too.

Take something that I cant even think of to change lacrosse at this time. Hope it is out there. Just isnt right what is going on now.

Right now it seems the advantage goes to the kids born in July& Aug. Let's go to year born & give the advantage to the Jan & Feb kids. It seems that the age Gap would still be the same (anywhere from one to eleven months). I guess it all comes down to what month your kid was born.

You must be thick. No one is complaining about age based ONE year leagues. As many have said, Just pick a date Sept/Jan whatever and stick with it. Everyone is within a year and some are on younger side and some are on older side, but majority are within 3-4 months of each other. And if my son happens to be on the younger side , so be it.

The grade based system is broken. To many taking advantage of holding back or reclassing along with the prefist private school kids. Way to many players over a YEAR or MORE older ( not one month-11 months) than others, and it is easy to get advantage ( hold you kid back) . If it was a few here or there, no one would care. At this time it is an out of control with many clubs having 50-75% of starters holdbacks, Crazy

The Lacrosse Club system is broken and ruined at this time. Giving select kids an advantage in youth sports goes completely against everything we are taught and told as it pertains to the youth.

---------

well said - it's pretty embarrassing. Every parent that says "my kid wants to play with his friends".... right, keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better about CHEATING

What clubs have 50-75% starter holdbacks ??? This is a way over the top exaggeration.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you hold your kid back for lacrosse the authorities should take your kid away from you! Get a grip mom and dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
While there are so many controversies playing by grade, there is another issue when we push this sport to international. School starts differently for different countries.

Eventually I think we need some kind of age pure (like in soccer) that everyone play based on their year born.

Never happen with current system in place. To much influence by private schools and Clubs on USL. The HQ is in heart of Holdback Country.

Most of top Clubs all along the East Coast are littered with holdbacks. And it is not going away. South and West are now getting into act and bringing teams with hodbacks too.

Take something that I cant even think of to change lacrosse at this time. Hope it is out there. Just isnt right what is going on now.

Right now it seems the advantage goes to the kids born in July& Aug. Let's go to year born & give the advantage to the Jan & Feb kids. It seems that the age Gap would still be the same (anywhere from one to eleven months). I guess it all comes down to what month your kid was born.

You must be thick. No one is complaining about age based ONE year leagues. As many have said, Just pick a date Sept/Jan whatever and stick with it. Everyone is within a year and some are on younger side and some are on older side, but majority are within 3-4 months of each other. And if my son happens to be on the younger side , so be it.

The grade based system is broken. To many taking advantage of holding back or reclassing along with the prefist private school kids. Way to many players over a YEAR or MORE older ( not one month-11 months) than others, and it is easy to get advantage ( hold you kid back) . If it was a few here or there, no one would care. At this time it is an out of control with many clubs having 50-75% of starters holdbacks, Crazy

The Lacrosse Club system is broken and ruined at this time. Giving select kids an advantage in youth sports goes completely against everything we are taught and told as it pertains to the youth.

---------

well said - it's pretty embarrassing. Every parent that says "my kid wants to play with his friends".... right, keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better about CHEATING

What clubs have 50-75% starter holdbacks ??? This is a way over the top exaggeration.

MadLax

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone talks about the value of local youth lacrosse programs and how it benefitS the HS team. So either the grade based PAL is good for HS programs or grade based lacrosse is bad for the sport. Which is it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any lacrosse is good for the high school, but it could be better if kids didn't get discouraged at the youth level by cheaters who holdback. Especially in the case where the holdbacks can't compete with puberty in HS become benchies because they arent playing against younger kids. Likewise some kid that changes with puberty but quit lax because he didn't get to play because a cheater took his spot. The HS could have had a great player but lost him early on.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stated perfectly

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You obviously must have you head in the sand , have a son that doesnt play in top level tournaments or anything to do with Under Armour. UA is another story with out of control holdbacks from many regions. Even the supposed guru of recruiting Ty Xanders stated something had to be done with UA teams in the Media ( Two years ago) as it was so many holdbacks on some UA teams and was out of control. Of course like always he was taken to woodshed by Clubs and Private schools and never mentioned it again.

Crabs, Edge, DC Express, Madlax, FL Sweetlax, MD 91, HHH, and MANY MORE Clubs.. Many of these Clubs have multiple teams with over 50% holdback starters, Some have one team with over 50%. But all these Clubs have many holdbacks/prefirsts/reclass or whatever you want to call them on their multiple club grade based teams thru out their program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is interesting to point out, and always ignored in this argument, is that the kids that are marginalized due to holdbacks as youth players, (the other 50%), and are good, find their way onto the field in high school and college. The best players play regardless of age. Life isn't fair. In youth lacrosse, the unfairness of age happens earlier. But the best players play, the kids that love the sport for the sport don't care, and all is fine. Its the parents that get bent out of shape because they have to spend time parenting and raising their children with conversations about life that are unpleasant and difficult. That is life. The real world. Yes, even for a second grader. Try this: "Son you don't have to play if you don't want to, I still love you. If you enjoy playing, their is always a team to play on. I will help you."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You obviously must have you head in the sand , have a son that doesnt play in top level tournaments or anything to do with Under Armour. UA is another story with out of control holdbacks from many regions. Even the supposed guru of recruiting Ty Xanders stated something had to be done with UA teams in the Media ( Two years ago) as it was so many holdbacks on some UA teams and was out of control. Of course like always he was taken to woodshed by Clubs and Private schools and never mentioned it again.

Crabs, Edge, DC Express, Madlax, FL Sweetlax, MD 91, HHH, and MANY MORE Clubs.. Many of these Clubs have multiple teams with over 50% holdback starters, Some have one team with over 50%. But all these Clubs have many holdbacks/prefirsts/reclass or whatever you want to call them on their multiple club grade based teams thru out their program.

If you like competition, these are the teams to play, since they are the best clubs on grade level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you like competition, these are the teams to play, since they are the best clubs on grade level.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

---------

Crabs, Sweetlax, Laxachusetts, Big 4 HHH, Madlax West Coast Stars, Mad Dog National, Leading Edge, Team Carolina, 91, LI Express, Denver Elite, Thunder LB3, Eclipse, Texas Mustangs....should I keep going?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great teams on grade level agreed. Great teams on age level, we will never know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great teams on grade level agreed. Great teams on age level, we will never know.

50/75% of these teams have already proven that they can excel at the grade or age level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is interesting to point out, and always ignored in this argument, is that the kids that are marginalized due to holdbacks as youth players, (the other 50%), and are good, find their way onto the field in high school and college. The best players play regardless of age. Life isn't fair. In youth lacrosse, the unfairness of age happens earlier. But the best players play, the kids that love the sport for the sport don't care, and all is fine. Its the parents that get bent out of shape because they have to spend time parenting and raising their children with conversations about life that are unpleasant and difficult. That is life. The real world. Yes, even for a second grader. Try this: "Son you don't have to play if you don't want to, I still love you. If you enjoy playing, their is always a team to play on. I will help you."

You got to be kidding me. Teaching life lessons in second grade ? That seven/eight year should just man up. I have heard a lot of silly things, but that has to be one of the silliest arguments and excuse for dealing with select kids taking advantage of a broken youth lacrosse system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holdback parents lack confidence in their kid. Practice, training, hard work makes a kid get better. All holding a kid back does is weaken the competition around him. Johnny is a good 7 year old player. Mom and dad aren’t happy with a good player, they want to tell their friends at work their son Johnny is a great player. Let’s see, what can we do to make that happen? I got the answer, let Johnny play with the 6 year olds. Pathetic. Facts are the facts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You got to be kidding me. Teaching life lessons in second grade ? That seven/eight year should just man up. I have heard a lot of silly things, but that has to be one of the silliest arguments and excuse for dealing with select kids taking advantage of a broken youth lacrosse system.

Wait. You guys get your kids involved in the craziness in 2nd grade?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The cheating typically begins in 2nd grade continues until 12th grade or really 13th grade or 14th grade in HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"well said - it's pretty embarrassing. Every parent that says "my kid wants to play with his friends".... right, keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better about CHEATING"

Outside of WSYL and a few straggling USL tournaments, it's not against the rules. You've got a big hill to climb.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This conversation will not change. The current pause in the sport will only increase the hold back issue. I know for a fact that many 2024 and some 2023 and 2022 players are repeating due to the lost season. They can always find a school to play in later if they use up eligibility and since some did not complete a season some conferences do not consider a lost season unless it was a completed HS Varsity season. Don't believe me? Fine, but ask yourself this: Will IMG or the Hill academy or Culver or any number of schools decline a student willing to pay who will help the team? NO Will other schools refuse to play these teams because they might have a 5th year senior? - NO. As far as youth lacrosse, consider the talent, age or not, of the teams that play in the USL "sanctioned" events. They are simply not at the same level. An NLF 2024 team would destroy some of the other clubs 2023 teams. I am simply stating the facts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are aware that grade base segmentation of lacrosse started in NY, correct?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"well said - it's pretty embarrassing. Every parent that says "my kid wants to play with his friends".... right, keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better about CHEATING"

Outside of WSYL and a few straggling USL tournaments, it's not against the rules. You've got a big hill to climb.

If you are playing by the rules/guidelines/regulations then no matter what you say or how you feel it is not CHEATING. If you don't like the rules either change them , start your own league or find another sport because these rants are embarrassing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am totally against the holdback thing, but have to agree it is NOT cheating. US lacrosse allows it. US Lacrosse, WAKE UP and make the change to birth year or school year start if you must, but stop the insanity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This conversation will not change. The current pause in the sport will only increase the hold back issue. I know for a fact that many 2024 and some 2023 and 2022 players are repeating due to the lost season. They can always find a school to play in later if they use up eligibility and since some did not complete a season some conferences do not consider a lost season unless it was a completed HS Varsity season. Don't believe me? Fine, but ask yourself this: Will IMG or the Hill academy or Culver or any number of schools decline a student willing to pay who will help the team? NO Will other schools refuse to play these teams because they might have a 5th year senior? - NO. As far as youth lacrosse, consider the talent, age or not, of the teams that play in the USL "sanctioned" events. They are simply not at the same level. An NLF 2024 team would destroy some of the other clubs 2023 teams. I am simply stating the facts.

Agree, Holdbacks and reclass were already getting out of hand in last few years,,,,Now with this virus and the NCAA mandate of letting all four college classes get another year. WATCH OUT ! Here come the next barrage of holdbacks in 2020/2021/2022/2023/2024. Many have already been heldback, so its a Double Holdback, It is a Domino effect.
Pretty sad, but it is what it is.
And just like the poster said, the double holdback will find a home if he needs to.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree, Holdbacks and reclass were already getting out of hand in last few years,,,,Now with this virus and the NCAA mandate of letting all four college classes get another year. WATCH OUT ! Here come the next barrage of holdbacks in 2020/2021/2022/2023/2024. Many have already been heldback, so its a Double Holdback, It is a Domino effect.
Pretty sad, but it is what it is.
And just like the poster said, the double holdback will find a home if he needs to.

2024's better decide quickly. 2023-2020 will have to sit out a year, or post-grad after 12 grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will be insanity. HS lax players in many cases will be older than college students who don’t play lax. Imagine a senior in HS with crazy lax parents graduating HS at 21. Lots of kids graduate college at 21.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will be insanity. HS lax players in many cases will be older than college students who don’t play lax. Imagine a senior in HS with crazy lax parents graduating HS at 21. Lots of kids graduate college at 21.

Lacrosse is insane with many holdbacks. Holdback in High School, Red Shirt in first year. And Boom,,Freshman in College at Junior Age college player.

Many sports have some unseemly characteristics. Holdbacks is one of Lacrosse's. No one really cares as College Coaches like older players and Private schools love them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid is a June birthday... so I guess he is young (?) for his "lacrosse age". Would i love him to continue to play though HS and college - sure. But would I hold him back in school for a year to do so... that's beyond demented. I swear I had no idea this even occurred until my kid started playing travel and I saw the birthdates on TeamSnap. I just thought the one or 2 kids on town team that were real big (or "held back") just had some learning issues. I would never imagine they were held back for parenting issues.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So true. It’s a complete joke. Red shirting in college, makes sense in many cases. I get it. I never understood how a youth parent can allow a kid to play down. There is no valid statement that can dispute this, none. Think about it. Who can argue 9 year olds, playing 7 and 8 year olds. Or 10 year olds playing 8 and 9 year olds. Who in their right mind can defend such a ridiculous thing. These insecure parents hang their hat on this statement. “We aren’t cheating.” This is true. Technically it’s not cheating. Its like someone being guilty of something, but winning the court case on a technicality. Ok we get it, cheating is an inaccurate term. The term is bush league. Unethical, manipulating a broken system. Pathetic. These are the terms I’d use to describe parents who allow YOUTH kids playing down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am surprised parents put the birthdates out there. Usually you find out when your kid starts going to 10 year old birthday parties when he turns 8. Or his older brother starts talking to one on his teamates cause they play soccer together. Parents cheat. Not the kids fault but not my kids fault either. Why should your kid get screwed? There are only do many spots you only need 13 to play. Its happened to my kid. Should be starting at attack but Johnny gets the nod because he is a better athlete with lesser skills. Sure he is a better athlete he is a year older shouldn't be there, got annihilated when 5th grade scrimmages 6th grade on age. Example of can't compete repeat. A year is huge. When I was a kid on JV in 10th I started over a 9th grader who was my friend because I was older and a little stronger faster but just ok player. A year later no one could touch him on Varsity and he went on to play college. If a year older still counts up until you are 16 , do you think the year counts or two counts when you are 8?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The root cause for the holdback is because US lacrosse allows it.

US Lacrosse should take action to correct this quickly with something like birth year restriction, before it spreads out

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The root cause for the holdback is because US lacrosse allows it.

US Lacrosse should take action to correct this quickly with something like birth year restriction, before it spreads out

US Lacrosse has almost zero authority or ability to restrict independent tournament organizers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i am curious - i would love to hear a response from a parent that has a holdback kid or 2 holdbacks. Does their playing down outweigh all the classmates in school looking at the kid like he has a learning problem?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i am curious - i would love to hear a response from a parent that has a holdback kid or 2 holdbacks. Does their playing down outweigh all the classmates in school looking at the kid like he has a learning problem?

I don’t have a holdback. Son played with one, no one cared, he was a great kid, AA player. Now at a D1 program. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your warped perception of kids. By the way his parents were wonderful people too. The other parents didn’t care either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conversation is about little kids, if he is at a D1 program now, that means he wasn’t an 8,9 year old kid for about 10,11 years. Was it grade based back then? Probably not. Even though your post is probably not true, that’s not the point. The point is those parents chose to let their older kid play against kids a year or 2 younger. Normal people would be embarrassed doing this for Youth sports. Any sport. If my 10 year old son ran for 300 yards, scored 4 touchdowns against 8 and 9 year olds I’d be embarrassed. If my 10 year old threw a no hitter against 8 and 9 year olds I’d be embarrassed. If my 10 year old had 40 points and 20 rebounds, against 8 and 9 year olds I’d be embarrassed. So you say how wonderful those parents were, not in my book. Wonderful is doing things the right way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don’t have a holdback. Son played with one, no one cared, he was a great kid, AA player. Now at a D1 program. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your warped perception of kids. By the way his parents were wonderful people too. The other parents didn’t care either.

You obviously don't read very well. The poster was asking to hear from parents who had a child who was held back, not from any random person who knew of one. Geeez

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The kid was held back , more than likely , because he had or does have a learning disability & he should not be embarrassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone talks about the value of local youth lacrosse programs and how it benefitS the HS team. So either the grade based PAL is good for HS programs or grade based lacrosse is bad for the sport. Which is it?

Youth lacrosse is already flawed with the lack of an answer to stop little Shannon and her dad the coach from scoring 20 a game. Now add in that Shannon is a hold back. Give me a break!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let’s for the 27th time say the kid has a learning disability or he isn’t socially ready. By all means nobody should be embarrassed for holding their kid back. The embarrassing part is playing with younger kids in a youth sport. Play age with the sport. Be held back for school for those reasons. That’s what kids in the 6 other sports do. Why is this so hard for you to grasp. I can’t even understand that such a clear thing is a debated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Youth lacrosse is already flawed with the lack of an answer to stop little Shannon and her dad the coach from scoring 20 a game. Now add in that Shannon is a hold back. Give me a break!

Another hypothetical & exaggerated post. Shannon is probably 2 or 3 months over the age limit & would be a dominate athlete in any grade or age level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thats easy, the needs of my little Johnny or usually gigantic overage Johnny out weigh the needs of everyone else 's children. My child comes first, I couldn't care less about anyone else's child or fairness as long as it not my kid getting the shaft. Johnny's classmates don't look at him like he has a learning problem the look up to him because he turned 12 before anyone else has turned 11. He's advanced because he already 12 in the same grade!

Like Reply Quote
Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard