Senior Spotlight: Q&A With Liam Daly from Shoreham Wading River High School

Senior goalie & captain, Liam Daly from Shoreham Wading River High School took time out of his busy week to catch up with Back Of The CAGE for our Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior every week.

Liam Daly was a highly touted recruit before committing to play division 1 lacrosse at Stony Brook University just a few miles away from his home. The BOTC #2 ranked goalie on Long Island had several other opportunities but Daly wants to be an immediate contributor and help the Seawolves compete for national championships.

Coming from a winning culture at Shoreham, Daly is accustomed to that mindest and has proven he can be the backbone of a defense from an early time frame and in the biggest moments. The returning All-Division, Honorable Mention All-County Goalie has played on varsity since he was a freshman and last year as a junior, he helped the Wildcats to win the Suffolk Championship, Long Island Championship and the New York State Championship.

The humble senior puts Shoreham in a great position to repeat with the pieces around him while he is anchoring the defense and in doing so, Daly will likely amass over 500 career saves.

Back Of The CAGE: Has it dawned on you yet that this is your senior year?
Liam Daly: I would say it has definitely dawned on me that this is my senior year. It’s a weird feeling, but with it, comes a lot of excitement for the upcoming season.

BOTC: Last year, you were the backbone of the defense helping your team win its 4th NY State title in program history. How would you describe the feeling of garnering a state title and was it difficult stepping up into a leadership role, specifically being an underclassman?
LD: The feeling of winning that state title is second to none. Not many people get to say they have a state title under their name. Being a captain my junior year was definitely something I was humbled by, and I always strive to be the best leader I can be.

BOTC: The team has a significant number of key players returning. What are your expectations for the team this season and what are your individual goals?
LD: Bringing back a bulk of our starting team is a blessing. Having players on both sides of the ball returning who will be playing at a high-level next year, and having great depth with the younger guys is always a positive. We expect to be the best we can be every year, and this coming season, my goal is to get better every day and be the best goalie and leader that I can be.

BOTC: Is there a favorite quote you have from Head Coach Mike Taylor?
LD: Everyday I can expect to hear something inspirational from Coach Taylor. My personal favorite is “You gotta win the small battles.” It really helps me focus on the small details it takes to succeed.

BOTC: Why did you choose Stony Brook University?
LD: Stony Brook is a great academic institution that allows me to be a part of an amazing lacrosse program led by Coach Gilardi. I feel I am able to have the “away” college experience here on Long Island. The academics, facilities, coaching staff, and the lacrosse program are among the best in the country in my opinion. I am excited to elevate the program and compete for a National Championship in the coming years.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pregame rituals?
LD: I am a creature of habit so it only makes sense I am very superstitious. Game days are all the same for me as I have a lot of small things I do throughout the day to help me get in the right mindset for game time. A few examples are chewing the same type of gum throughout the day up until warmups, listening to the same songs, and getting the same warm-up from the same guy, Xavier Arline, every game.

BOTC: What’s on your playlist before games?
LD: My pregame playlist has a wide variety of genres mixed in, from rap to a little bit of metal to help me get the blood flowing. Anything upbeat with heavy base usually works for me. It varies from Migos, Meek Mill, and A$AP Rocky to Rage Against the Machine, Guns and Roses and Disturbed.

Check back with BackOfTheCAGE.com on Sunday to meet Northport High School Senior Attacker, Danielle Pavinelli.