BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,735
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 48 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 47 48
Re: Boys 2025 - 5th Grade Fall 2017/Summer 2018
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am changing my opinion on things. Again my opinion, as I would prefer to look at this another way. I am actually starting to think grade based is going to end. Because they'll be more and more people adopting the US Lacrosse and WSYL age guidlines into grade based. It's the can'take beat join then mentality. Not saying it's right or agreeing. But just maybe this is a needed shakeup. Because this topic isn't going away.

I agree, great post. This is a great sport. Most of the people I have met are good parents all wanting the same thing for there kids.We have the best coaches are on LI. These kids are getting the best training in the country. But as the sport has grown so has the competition and the importance of winning. There is so much money to be made in the race for winning,that the ethics of youth sports gets forgotten. Youth Lacrosse NEEDS to go age based!!or at least have some sort of age regulation. It is getting worse out there every season!!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am changing my opinion on things. Again my opinion, as I would prefer to look at this another way. I am actually starting to think grade based is going to end. Because they'll be more and more people adopting the US Lacrosse and WSYL age guidlines into grade based. It's the can'take beat join then mentality. Not saying it's right or agreeing. But just maybe this is a needed shakeup. Because this topic isn't going away.

I agree, great post. This is a great sport. Most of the people I have met are good parents all wanting the same thing for there kids.We have the best coaches are on LI. These kids are getting the best training in the country. But as the sport has grown so has the competition and the importance of winning. There is so much money to be made in the race for winning,that the ethics of youth sports gets forgotten. Youth Lacrosse NEEDS to go age based!!or at least have some sort of age regulation. It is getting worse out there every season!!

Unfortunately an age based system will do nothing to end the winning mentality that is prevalent in travel for profit lacrosse, It will not prevent cheating either. USLacrosse has no power or budget to properly maintain a real age based system of check and balance like you see in Soccer and Ice Hockey - and it has no means of penalizing anybody that does cheat. IMHO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LI problem is your cutoff for starting school. You might be the only place that has a Jan 1. Sep 1 is more the norm, with most summer boys being held in Pre-K. Nothing to do with sports.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LI problem is your cutoff for starting school. You might be the only place that has a Jan 1. Sep 1 is more the norm, with most summer boys being held in Pre-K. Nothing to do with sports.

This is true and not going to be changed any time soon. However, WSYL gives a reason for teams to be somewhat age based. As lacrosse is spreading out and less concentrated solely in NY and Maryland it will have a greater impact. NY teams are mostly on age. MD teams aren't, which is why they don't participate in WSYL. As the sport grows, Fairyland with their highly "skilled" double holdbacks will continue to move down in prestige and importance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LI does not have its own cutoff - it is the same for all of NYS. And it's not Jan 1 - it's Dec 1. And an age-based system would make the different cutoff dates irrelevant.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is true and not going to be changed any time soon. However, WSYL gives a reason for teams to be somewhat age based. As lacrosse is spreading out and less concentrated solely in NY and Maryland it will have a greater impact. NY teams are mostly on age. MD teams aren't, which is why they don't participate in WSYL. As the sport grows, Fairyland with their highly "skilled" double holdbacks will continue to move down in prestige and importance.

WSYL is 7th grade for a reason and will die if a team from outside LI doesn't win.

Read "Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!" Thread.. Every sport is driven by the next level. Youth lacrosse is driven by D1.. According to a post, only1 of the 15 incoming freshmen class was not a holdback. Football major 8th-grade holdbacks & AAU is a total joke. Lacrosse is just late to the game but the game has changed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WSYL is 7th grade for a reason and will die if a team from outside LI doesn't win.

Read "Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!" Thread.. Every sport is driven by the next level. Youth lacrosse is driven by D1.. According to a post, only1 of the 15 incoming freshmen class was not a holdback. Football major 8th-grade holdbacks & AAU is a total joke. Lacrosse is just late to the game but the game has changed.

That statement is false. If a team from LI does not win the WSYL, it will not die. Please elaborate.
well then make it easy just make it birth year. or Sept 1st. I really don't care what they make it.. But they need to make a rule and enforce it. !!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Football major 8th-grade holdbacks & AAU is a total joke" What does this even mean?? "Lacrosse is just late to the game but the game has changed." And, for that matter, what does this mean also??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a third rate sport in NCAA, more people at a bad D3 football game than a D1 Lacrosse game. Realistically, no one cares, nor will they ever care. Sport is funded by football and basketball, even baseball throws a few bucks Lacrosse way, that is the truth. No one cares but you. But I still love it

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a third rate sport in NCAA, more people at a bad D3 football game than a D1 Lacrosse game. Realistically, no one cares, nor will they ever care. Sport is funded by football and basketball, even baseball throws a few bucks Lacrosse way, that is the truth. No one cares but you. But I still love it

SPOT ON! Love the sport but the facts are the facts. These loons are also entertaining.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

SPOT ON! Love the sport but the facts are the facts. These loons are also entertaining.

Your missing the point!! My kids will all be going to college .I don't care if my kids plays lax in college. I want age based for a variety reasons ( fun, developing, safety, fair estimation of the work they put in.,.But scholarships are not one of them. Youth sports all need to have enforced age requirements.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe, but for varsity lax SAs, ~12+% will go on to play in college. For LI players, that number is probably higher. It is the only significant sport other than ice hockey that is in double digits %s.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your missing the point!! My kids will all be going to college .I don't care if my kids plays lax in college. I want age based for a variety reasons ( fun, developing, safety, fair estimation of the work they put in.,.But scholarships are not one of them. Youth sports all need to have enforced age requirements.

I disagree. I think grade-based makes the most sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All this age based vs. grade based talk has ruined this thread. It is like listening to the teacher from Charlie Brown. Waaahhh, waaahh, waaahh......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's some poor thinking

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can't wait to hear the basis for this position...!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All this age based vs. grade based talk has ruined this thread. It is like listening to the teacher from Charlie Brown. Waaahhh, waaahh, waaahh......

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that it should've grade based plus some kids from the grade above so we can win and because Chan said so!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Whiner

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I really want to hear the logic..why would you choose age based for a youth sport?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that it should've grade based plus some kids from the grade above so we can win and because Chan said so!!!!!

Question when you go to a tryout do any of the clubs ask for confirmation of what grade your son is in? Do you even get asked to supply your birth certificate? So they are only going based off of the integrity of the parents...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my kid is going D1
Spoke with Hopkins admissions already.. hes getting all 4s on his NYS common Core exams and reort cards
Only deviation will be if he prefers to go North
He will then Attend Yale.
He is that good and that smart.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I really want to hear the logic..why would you choose age based for a youth sport?

Simply put, because very soon my son will be playing middle school lacrosse, and after that, JV and Varsity. He will not be playing against kids his age... many/most will be older. This will better prepare him for that. Additionally, he is developing an impressive work ethic because he needs to work on his own time to take playing time away from the holdbacks on his team. And lastly, because I’m raising him not to make excuses when things don’t go the way he wants. I’m not concerned with T-shirts. I want him to develop into a hard working, independent adult. Not a whiny little snowflake who protests when he doesn’t have a “safe place” for writings in his journal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So you’re saying you want your son to play PAL, but not in a town with A team and B team. Great. Stick with that and leave the big boys alone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So you’re saying you want your son to play PAL, but not in a town with A team and B team. Great. Stick with that and leave the big boys alone.

It will never happen in travel. Kids are recruited by the year they will be entering college. With the new enforcement of the rules you might be better off. Big difference between 14 and 13 years old.. A little less with 16 to 15. Some people will do anything to try and give their kids an advantage. Just get used to it.

As far as fair estimation of the work they put in, STOP. Some kids are just natural athletes and are better. If they are putting in that much work in 5th grade the natural ones will pass them by in 10th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It will never happen in travel. Kids are recruited by the year they will be entering college. With the new enforcement of the rules you might be better off. Big difference between 14 and 13 years old.. A little less with 16 to 15. Some people will do anything to try and give their kids an advantage. Just get used to it.

As far as fair estimation of the work they put in, STOP. Some kids are just natural athletes and are better. If they are putting in that much work in 5th grade the natural ones will pass them by in 10th grade.

This is a 2025 board - if you read the older age boards, which I do, because I also have a 2021, the support for age-based play is advocated largely for all pre-HS aged players, and there are actually a larger number of boys playing travel lacrosse below the HS ages than within the HS ages. While there is less concern about age-based play for HS-ages, the whole recruiting by grade argument is so hollow considering that every other major sport is age-based, and somehow all of those sports' college coaches are more than able to recruit accordingly, and they do so across a pool of student athletes that dwarf the number of lacrosse players. Considering that all of the other major sports are age-based, you realize that your grade-based argument essentially boils down to all of those sports "got it wrong"?!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The studies and support for age-based play in youth athletics iare considerable (Google is your friend!) and the very reason why EVERY.OTHER.SPORT has gone age-based. That, plus there is no fact-based argument for grade-based play for pre-HS ages!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's such a ridiculous conversation. If one 6th grader is 12 .another 6th grader is a real smart kid and he was pushed ahead and is 10. You don't see how those 2 kids playing youth sports against each other is unfair. Most normal people would see that. I wouldn't want my 12 year old dominating 10 year olds and I wouldn't want my 10 year old getting beat up by 12 year olds. There really isn't much else to say. Kids being the same age is the way to go, it's called fair competition.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree 100% with your explanation on aged based vs grade base. I also have a 2021 and have a few boys in HS and college. By the time they are in HS, it does not matter. The athletes will be recognized and those hold-backs who were the stars as younger kids do get passed by very quickly. Using the aged base vs grade base argument is a ridiculous arguement for people looking for excuses.

At this age, just enjoy the ride and watching them play. It will be over before you know it. The attention or interest of the players do change as they get older and move up in the school system. They may not want to play in HS. It is not about the parents.

Finally, my College son did play for one of the excellent HS teams. Did not want to play in college. Goes to a major Div 1 school. The lax coach knew him and asked him to walk on. Said NO because he wants to enjoy his college career and not worry about going to practice and working out six days a week at 6 am. I give him a lot of credit and maturity.

Again, sit back and enjoy the ride and watching them play, grow and mature. Great experience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chan has figured it out and has it best! No rules at all, mix age limits and grade based so we can win!!!!!!

So much for his Navy honor code. What a [ChillLaxin]! And don't get me started on the [ChillLaxin] parents. And my son is on this team and plays. It's a disgrace.

Worst part is the "magic" happened after they took our $ and after all of the other tryouts so the [ChillLaxin] trapped us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chan has figured it out and has it best! No rules at all, mix age limits and grade based so we can win!!!!!!

So much for his Navy honor code. What a [ChillLaxin]! And don't get me started on the [ChillLaxin] parents. And my son is on this team and plays. It's a disgrace.

Worst part is the "magic" happened after they took our $ and after all of the other tryouts so the [ChillLaxin] trapped us.

The town hall is this week. Walk up to the directors and voice your concerns. Wouldn't that be better since your the client. We all forget we are the clients and treated as such. No where else would pay to be so upset.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I’ve never read such weak [ChillLaxin] in my life. You are raising your kid to be a wimp. Let him play against older kids just like LI kids have been doing since club lax started. It’s worked pretty well so far. If you can’t accept that there are kids better than your son, then you are in for a lot a god darn disappointment. Tell your kid to work harder and stop making excuses. Stop being such a vagina.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He has figured it out. Winning equals $$$. Large rosters equal more $$$. It amazes me people pay money for this. Okay, the practices may be amazing but to spend a weekend watching your child stand on the sidelines is really freaking crazy. Just crazy. All so Chan can play 2024s and fly in kids from Texas. Seriously, you people are out of your minds unless you've got one of the 13-15 kids that play. To the parents of the other 15, smack yourself. There are 27 other teams on LI that your kid would actually get to play lacrosse on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

blaaaaaaaaaa! you did not just say big boys?? This is a 2025 thread. I played a sport in college. And again, do not care if my kids do. But presently these kids are playing a YOUTH sport that requires enforced age requirements. As far as my kid playing just PAL. not quite.... right now I have him playing club with 2024's.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

blaaaaaaaaaa! you did not just say big boys?? This is a 2025 thread. I played a sport in college. And again, do not care if my kids do. But presently these kids are playing a YOUTH sport that requires enforced age requirements. As far as my kid playing just PAL. not quite.... right now I have him playing club with 2024's.

The team he plays on must stink. And you played in college? Going to practice at NJIT doesn't cut it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Simply put, because very soon my son will be playing middle school lacrosse, and after that, JV and Varsity. He will not be playing against kids his age... many/most will be older. This will better prepare him for that. Additionally, he is developing an impressive work ethic because he needs to work on his own time to take playing time away from the holdbacks on his team. And lastly, because I’m raising him not to make excuses when things don’t go the way he wants. I’m not concerned with T-shirts. I want him to develop into a hard working, independent adult. Not a whiny little snowflake who protests when he doesn’t have a “safe place” for writings in his journal.

That’s a rational and credible retort. It makes solid sense to most of us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your missing the point!! My kids will all be going to college .I don't care if my kids plays lax in college. I want age based for a variety reasons ( But scholarships are not one of them. Youth sports all need to have enforced age requirements.

You’re a clown. Let me ask you something. When Junior get his skirt dirty, do you wash it or just buy him a new one? “fun, developing, safety, fair estimation of the work they put in”??? Sounds like your ego is getting in the way. Don’t worry if he’s a short little Italian kid, I’m sure he’ll get to 5’5” just like his sorry [ChillLaxin] dad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is such a dumb post. Every single other youth sport that uses an aged-based system has procedures in place for kids to play up if that is what the family wants and what the coaches want. Depending on the sport/league/level of play there may be a formal application process, but nonetheless, kids who are capable of playing against older kids, and have parents and coaches who agree that it is appropriate, can play up. Thus, your exceptional 10 year old (this is the 2025 board, so I am assuming your child is 10, especially since you say he will be younger in HS and is competing now against holdbacks) will still be able to challenge and push himself agains older kids if that is what everyone wants. But the large majority of parents want their children playing against kids of similar age and skill level.

The work ethic thing is comical. Are you implying that if he played against kids his same age he would not need to work because he is so good. Again, if this is true, than in an age based system, have him play up. What you are proposing is selfishness taken to an extreme. Essentially you are saying that because your 10 year old can play well against older boys, all other 10 year olds must also play against older boys. Anyone with a brain in their head and the ability to observe youths playing sports knows that the large majority of kids this age will see their performances deteriorate very quickly when thrown in with older kids. Once this happens, they lose interest in the sport, and move on to something else. There is a reason the best lax players in the world can't earn a living without getting a real job - its lack of interest in the sport. Age based youth play opens up the sport to more levels of athletes, who will more likely grow up to be paying consumers of lacrosse than if they didn't play lacrosse.

Also, its beyond stupid to say that 10 year olds need to play against 11 and 12 year olds because when they are 16 they will be playing against 17 and 18 year olds. Every rational human being knows that after the full onset of puberty, there is very little advantage left for the 17 and 18 year old over the 16 year old. Do you let your 10 year old drive your car because he will need to get ready for driving when he is 16?

Lacrosse should do what hockey does. All strictly age based until 16. At 16, the best players (those on a D1 track) can be selected for a junior team, which comprises of players age 16-20. The remainder who still wish to play can stay at age based. Very exceptional 15 year olds can apply for entry to juniors like John Tavares did.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is such a dumb post. Every single other youth sport that uses an aged-based system has procedures in place for kids to play up if that is what the family wants and what the coaches want. Depending on the sport/league/level of play there may be a formal application process, but nonetheless, kids who are capable of playing against older kids, and have parents and coaches who agree that it is appropriate, can play up. Thus, your exceptional 10 year old (this is the 2025 board, so I am assuming your child is 10, especially since you say he will be younger in HS and is competing now against holdbacks) will still be able to challenge and push himself agains older kids if that is what everyone wants. But the large majority of parents want their children playing against kids of similar age and skill level.

The work ethic thing is comical. Are you implying that if he played against kids his same age he would not need to work because he is so good. Again, if this is true, than in an age based system, have him play up. What you are proposing is selfishness taken to an extreme. Essentially you are saying that because your 10 year old can play well against older boys, all other 10 year olds must also play against older boys. Anyone with a brain in their head and the ability to observe youths playing sports knows that the large majority of kids this age will see their performances deteriorate very quickly when thrown in with older kids. Once this happens, they lose interest in the sport, and move on to something else. There is a reason the best lax players in the world can't earn a living without getting a real job - its lack of interest in the sport. Age based youth play opens up the sport to more levels of athletes, who will more likely grow up to be paying consumers of lacrosse than if they didn't play lacrosse.

Also, its beyond stupid to say that 10 year olds need to play against 11 and 12 year olds because when they are 16 they will be playing against 17 and 18 year olds. Every rational human being knows that after the full onset of puberty, there is very little advantage left for the 17 and 18 year old over the 16 year old. Do you let your 10 year old drive your car because he will need to get ready for driving when he is 16?

Lacrosse should do what hockey does. All strictly age based until 16. At 16, the best players (those on a D1 track) can be selected for a junior team, which comprises of players age 16-20. The remainder who still wish to play can stay at age based. Very exceptional 15 year olds can apply for entry to juniors like John Tavares did.

Thank you!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you!

The gentleman did not say his kid was great, he said he is finding the advantage for his kid playing against older kids, everything he said is exactly what I went through with my son who was on age and graduated HS at 17. he was always playing against bigger, stronger and older kids and it made him well prepared when he started school ball.

As for Hockey you are comparing apples to oranges since the top level players stay within USA Hockey and the best players on LI do not even play school hockey so they never wind up playing against older kids. In lacrosse you have 8th graders playing varsity in some towns so you can have 14 year old playing 18 year old... and for you 2025 parents, that is not that far away.

Page 29 of 48 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard