Anonymous #280582 02/25/19 02:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
BBL world series tryout was packed on Saturday- lots of talent. I think this team has a real chance of going far in Denver

It's not the talent as much as chemistry. It is difficult to compete as a team that is put together in March when the top competition has been practicing and playing together for years. Of course, a team like BBL can have a good run at the WSYL, but it is an uphill battle. Also, you cannot equate the success of the BBL 2024 with the BBL WSYL team because it will not be the same players due to age restrictions. Yes, if the regular BBL 2024 team was the WSYL team, then it makes sense, but since they are having tryouts, obviously some of the regular 2024 kids do not make the cutoff. The regional qualifier is a good way to get a feel for the team, until then, I would back off on the assessment. Success at the qualifier also makes a huge difference in Denver as the teams are seeded based upon the qualifier. BBL's 2023 is a perfect example, they had a very tough schedule last year because of their qualifier finish.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boy's 2023 - 8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
Anonymous #280587 02/25/19 03:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think they lose too many players to age , should work out well, how many kids did they take from the tryout?

I heard 8 to 12

Anonymous #280593 02/25/19 05:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think they lose too many players to age , should work out well, how many kids did they take from the tryout?

I heard 8 to 12

That seems pretty high, but I understand that teams typically carry a larger than usual amount of kids as insurance against injury due to the fact that the roster is set at the qualifier. The downside is that you are asking a lot of families to pay up for an expensive trip, and their kid may see limited playing time. Also, if you are not a regular BBL player, there could be some concern that the loyalty of the BBL coaches will be with their own players.

Anonymous #281609 03/20/19 11:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BBL world series tryout was packed on Saturday- lots of talent. I think this team has a real chance of going far in Denver

It's not the talent as much as chemistry. It is difficult to compete as a team that is put together in March when the top competition has been practicing and playing together for years. Of course, a team like BBL can have a good run at the WSYL, but it is an uphill battle. Also, you cannot equate the success of the BBL 2024 with the BBL WSYL team because it will not be the same players due to age restrictions. Yes, if the regular BBL 2024 team was the WSYL team, then it makes sense, but since they are having tryouts, obviously some of the regular 2024 kids do not make the cutoff. The regional qualifier is a good way to get a feel for the team, until then, I would back off on the assessment. Success at the qualifier also makes a huge difference in Denver as the teams are seeded based upon the qualifier. BBL's 2023 is a perfect example, they had a very tough schedule last year because of their qualifier finish.

This is so true. You want to be top 2 coming out of the east. Although, not sure how strong the West teams are this year. Last year, that True Illinois team was no joke so BBL had to contend with them and the #2 team from the North which ended up being the other finalist in Denver....

I think BBL is top 2 this year. Brotherly Love (PA) is the other.

Anonymous #281620 03/20/19 01:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is so true. You want to be top 2 coming out of the east. Although, not sure how strong the West teams are this year. Last year, that True Illinois team was no joke so BBL had to contend with them and the #2 team from the North which ended up being the other finalist in Denver....

Who cares, your going to get beat down by East teams if you can't bring your summer birthdays

Sponsored Links
TM@BOTC #281678 03/21/19 09:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who cares, your going to get beat down by East teams if you can't bring your summer birthdays

This is probably true, plus, but don't discount the teams form the West either...Mad Dog West and Team Colorado have very good teams, and the MDW team has been playing together for a while with a lot of success

Anonymous #281681 03/21/19 09:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is probably true, plus, but don't discount the teams form the West either...Mad Dog West and Team Colorado have very good teams, and the MDW team has been playing together for a while with a lot of success

correction..Denver Elite

Anonymous #281682 03/21/19 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Assume you mean the North teams? BBL and BL are in the east. NY teams are in the North. Last year 2 east teams made the Quarter's and didn't get beat down by teams from the North. Lost, but not beat down.

Anonymous #282535 04/03/19 02:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately, the WSYL event is not a very competitive event any longer. It was a great idea when it started but they can't get enough high caliber teams to commit to the event. It's fun, but it's not really a great measure for the best teams. If you are going, enjoy it. Don't worry about winning it all.

Anonymous #282536 04/03/19 02:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares? The WSYL event has basically become a B level tourney. I doubt it will even be around in a few years.

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #282542 04/03/19 03:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares? The WSYL event has basically become a B level tourney. I doubt it will even be around in a few years.

The WSYL is an age based tournament, nothing more, nothing less. It is a great experience, so long as you put it into perspective. With the growth of the sport, I think that the event will be around for a while, especially if common sense prevails and lacrosse goes age based (I know, wishful thinking). Yes, there are lesser quality teams at the event, but their is also a lot of talent on the teams in the upper half of the pool. While I agree that you will not see the same level teams as you might at NLF, Crab Feast, Naptown and the like, chalking it up to a B level tournament is simply not true. Half the kids at the WSYL last year were at Naptown, 2023 National Championship and the NLF National Championship in July last year, certainly not B level players

Anonymous #282779 04/07/19 05:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, so it’s A- then. Whatever you want to call it. But it’s not a real championship like it claims to be.

Anonymous #282802 04/08/19 08:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, so it’s A- then. Whatever you want to call it. But it’s not a real championship like it claims to be.

Its an aged-based championship, and that's what it claims to be. Sure there are plenty of other championships like the Rising 8th grade event in Maryland and the NLF Championship, both of which probably meet your standards for and A level tournament, and they are very good tournaments, but they are so full of controversy with holdbacks, reclasses, guest players, etc. that they become somewhat of a joke. Just go and listen to the audio from last years 2023 NLF championship, it was laughable.

TM@BOTC #282804 04/08/19 08:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is going on with Mad Dog 2023 team, word on the street is that the team imploded

Anonymous #282864 04/08/19 03:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is going on with Mad Dog 2023 team, word on the street is that the team imploded

Very sad, was a great group of kids. Letting the Manasquan coach leave didn't help, considering they are somewhat of a feeder program. Mad Dog struggles to keep their top players when they move into High School.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard