A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I do agree that the reason for box lacrosse in the winter seasons is to become better in the field. It forces all of the players to be better in smaller spaces. No child has dreams on going to play professional box that is also true. What is not true is that our tri state area box teams can not compete with the Canadian or Reservation teams. According to Tourney Machine, Just last week at O2 Box Tournament, O2 Lacrosse beat Akwesasne Aces from the reservation during division play and Road Warriors beat them in the finals. So, clearly O2 and Road Warriors are doing something correct in order to compete and beat a team as such. That seems like pretty legit box lacrosse to me!

Where do you think that Road Warriors are from?

They are from just outside of Philadelphia.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boy's 2023 - 8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
Anonymous #279180 01/15/19 02:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do agree that the reason for box lacrosse in the winter seasons is to become better in the field. It forces all of the players to be better in smaller spaces. No child has dreams on going to play professional box that is also true. What is not true is that our tri state area box teams can not compete with the Canadian or Reservation teams. According to Tourney Machine, Just last week at O2 Box Tournament, O2 Lacrosse beat Akwesasne Aces from the reservation during division play and Road Warriors beat them in the finals. So, clearly O2 and Road Warriors are doing something correct in order to compete and beat a team as such. That seems like pretty legit box lacrosse to me!

Interesting considering that the Road Warriors teams that play summer lax are mostly made up of kids from the Iroquois Nation

TM@BOTC #279182 01/15/19 03:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Canadian box lacrosse is significantly more physical than the box being played in places like philly. crosschecking with and without the ball is something most American boys have not seen. its borderline insane- I liken it very much to junior hockey in Canada where bench clearing brawls was very much a part of growing up. its not to say American boys cant compete, just that it may take some time to adjust

TM@BOTC #279183 01/15/19 03:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Interesting considering that the Road Warriors teams that play summer lax are mostly made up of kids from the Iroquois Nation

Road Warrior (Iroquois), Rising Sons (PA) and MSI (PA) have an affiliation...but my guess is that the Road Warriors team has a lot of First Nations kids, that's why they are good.

Anonymous #279358 01/19/19 09:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Understand its only Fall but LeadingEdge Elite is the top '23 team in NJ now. CRoy worked to build this team and it will only get better. The only director you see at spring tournaments checking out the talent.

BBL has some small attack that will have problems all season. Do love the old school helmet, he is a player.. leaves it all out on the field.

How did BBL look with their new additions.
good to see 2024 LI team win the 2023 division at the eagles box tourney.

Sponsored Links
TM@BOTC #279365 01/20/19 05:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Except O2 actually imports players from the Iroquois (and Canada from what other O2 players have said) to supplement the DB kids as they can't compete with just NJ kids on the team.

Anonymous #279485 01/24/19 08:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After talking with another parent at the Best in Box, who was from Albany, O2 has actually gone out of their way to combine the best of talent from all over and integrate them with their own DB players which will elevate the entire program and translate to the field. Its actually a win win..everyone gets an opportunity to play and get better with their skills. Seems like a sound plan and given their success this winter, seems to be working. Also, I wasn't aware that this is only their second season as a program...they are leapfrogging other box and field programs in NJ. I may have my son tryout for field this upcoming summer.
Regarding tryouts-why have the tryout timelines gone from September timeline to early July. Some field programs are not even finished with their current summer schedule and having the following seasons tryouts already. How do you cut a kid for next year when he is still playing in his current season for their team. Anyone agree that tryouts should go back to the old model and happen after labor day? Fall lacrosse is bogus anyway, whats the rebels with all of these programs? I think its a money grab for all of these club teams in NJ.

TM@BOTC #279491 01/24/19 10:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After talking with another parent at the Best in Box, who was from Albany, O2 has actually gone out of their way to combine the best of talent from all over and integrate them with their own DB players which will elevate the entire program and translate to the field. Its actually a win win..everyone gets an opportunity to play and get better with their skills. Seems like a sound plan and given their success this winter, seems to be working. Also, I wasn't aware that this is only their second season as a program...they are leapfrogging other box and field programs in NJ. I may have my son tryout for field this upcoming summer.
Regarding tryouts-why have the tryout timelines gone from September timeline to early July. Some field programs are not even finished with their current summer schedule and having the following seasons tryouts already. How do you cut a kid for next year when he is still playing in his current season for their team. Anyone agree that tryouts should go back to the old model and happen after labor day? Fall lacrosse is bogus anyway, whats the rebels with all of these programs? I think its a money grab for all of these club teams in NJ.

I guess the issue is whether this is a sustainable model when you are bringing kids in to play with the team. As with other clubs that have gone down this road, you run the risk of bringing in "guest" players at the expense of full time kids. Not suggesting that this is the case with O2, but I have seen the damage done in programs like Dukes, Freedom, etc. As for leapfrogging other field programs in NJ, that remains to be seen, I realize that it is a young program, but there is no track record at any top national tournaments, not that it won't happen, but it has not happened yet. The other question I have, and not trying to stir the pot, but is there any sense in the O2 world that a kid is somewhat beholden to the club because the boys want a playing advantage at DB. Truthfully, if my son was at DB, I would definitely take this into consideration.

TM@BOTC #279493 01/24/19 10:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know nothing about "bringing kids in" or how they go about pulling a team together and not sure why that would be of concern to any parent. I would just want my son, in the offseason, to be around the best to raise his skills. It doesn't make any difference about the model, its about getting kids better in the offseason and thats what is paramount. Worrying about a "model" sounds like its coming from business perspective-which is foreign to me. Get my kids around the best in the field and in the box so he becomes better and elevates his own game-simple.

As a parent, I want my son playing for the program that will provide him the best platform regardless of what high school he is attending. Best training, deep college relationships, best platform for tournaments where college recruiters will be attending..etc.. I would think, that as a club team, you would put on the field the best players that give you the best chance to win regardless of high school affiliation.

Anyone on tryouts after labor day instead of 4th of July?

Anonymous #279502 01/24/19 02:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know nothing about "bringing kids in" or how they go about pulling a team together and not sure why that would be of concern to any parent. I would just want my son, in the offseason, to be around the best to raise his skills. It doesn't make any difference about the model, its about getting kids better in the offseason and thats what is paramount. Worrying about a "model" sounds like its coming from business perspective-which is foreign to me. Get my kids around the best in the field and in the box so he becomes better and elevates his own game-simple.

As a parent, I want my son playing for the program that will provide him the best platform regardless of what high school he is attending. Best training, deep college relationships, best platform for tournaments where college recruiters will be attending..etc.. I would think, that as a club team, you would put on the field the best players that give you the best chance to win regardless of high school affiliation.

Anyone on tryouts after labor day instead of 4th of July?

The concern with bringing kids in to play, regardless of talent level, is that you end up with different line-ups every tournament. As a result, the team is unable to build any chemistry on the field. If kids are unfamiliar with their teammates, that directly affects their decision making on the field, which is a disadvantage in their development. I agree that it is preferable to play with the best kids that you can, and clubs certainly want to put the best product on the field, but having kids that show up and don't know the offense, defense, rides, clears, etc. is not any type of advantage. Not saying that this is an issue with O2, just offering my two cents based upon experience. And for what it's worth, looking at club lacrosse as a "model" makes all of the sense in the world, club lacrosse is a business, period. You may have great coach, team, etc., but the fact remains that they are in it to make a profit.

As for the high school affiliation, it is not a club issue, the question is whether a kid feels pressured to commit to a certain club to help his status on the high school team. For example, if your kid will only play third line middie for O2, but could start for BBL, would you keep him on O2 for fear that he would lose playing time at DB because he doesn't play for the DB coach's club. Again, not suggesting that anything like this would occur with O2 or DB, but it is certainly an issue with other clubs that have a connection to a high school program. Take Rumson-Fair Haven for example, I imagine that some might think that there is an advantage to playing for Leading Edge Elite because of their coach's affiliation with the club.

Sponsored Links
TM@BOTC #280230 02/15/19 05:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any travel teams running a spring program or all town program?

Anonymous #280334 02/18/19 11:34 AM
N
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
N
Any travel teams running a spring program or all town program?

Most NJ Club Teams do the NXT Spring League. I do not believe any teams run their own and not sure about the town programs.

TM@BOTC #280571 02/25/19 01:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BBL world series tryout was packed on Saturday- lots of talent. I think this team has a real chance of going far in Denver

Anonymous #280574 02/25/19 01:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Definitely right up there with the best teams at this age group

TM@BOTC #280580 02/25/19 02:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think they lose too many players to age , should work out well, how many kids did they take from the tryout?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard