BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,863
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 88 of 327 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do any of you put this much thought and effort into your daughter's school work? It's hysterical. "I checked the rosters, I checked the coaches credentials.", etc. Have you checked your school district's teacher evaluation plans? Can you even name your daughter's English, math, science and social studies teachers.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do any of you put this much thought and effort into your daughter's school work? It's hysterical. "I checked the rosters, I checked the coaches credentials.", etc. Have you checked your school district's teacher evaluation plans? Can you even name your daughter's English, math, science and social studies teachers.

Sure we do. I think you'll find many of these girls overachieve in most aspects of their lives, not just lacrosse. And yes, the parents have a lot to do with it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hysterical, really? And you just stumbled upon this website today?
Like an earlier post mentioned, why does Elevate play winter league in their age group, when the other travel teams always play winter legue up a year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hysterical, really? And you just stumbled upon this website today?
Like an earlier post mentioned, why does Elevate play winter league in their age group, when the other travel teams always play winter legue up a year?

Actually you are completely wrong on this one, TG also play against town teams in winter league in their age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your credibility gets completely destroyed when you mention team elevate.Yes TG top teams in the younger ages are about equal to YJ top teams but team elevate ,give me a break. Do they even play in tournaments? I also believe the YJ second level teams are far better than the TG second level teams .yes there were no top guns but express and liberty were more competitive back in the day .

Look at the post again, what I'm saying is that if you took the top 24 girls from YJ, TG and yes even a couple from Elevate A teams that would have been what constituted YJ A & B teams five years ago, if you follow that logic to its end it would indicate that the YJ B teams are comparable to yesterdays YJ C teams or worse, so lets not say that there's very little or no difference between YJ A & B teams, because that is simply no longer the case. Which goes back to the original conversation that every YJ team is elite and the B & C teams are comparable to A teams and the're all going to be heavily sought after D1 players, blah, blah, blah. [/quote]

Again you can't talk about Elevate in the same breath as YJ or TG. I've looked at the rosters and coaches for younger teams. Parent coaches and local (CSH) players is what you're getting. Not the competitive draw that YJ and TG has. They just can't compete. [/quote]

How many parent coaches does YJ have this year?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The truth is YJ's have parents coaching at many of their age levels.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you implying that if a kids skill level is at the B, C or D level and her father is a coach of the A team, she gets to play with the true elite regardless? I didn't think that the YJ recruiting process worked that way. I'm sure the parents of the girls that are on the A team and truly belong there aren't too thrilled about that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who cares?? My daughter was on 2017 Top Guns last year and the coaches sucked! They did NOTHING about friends just passing to friends, and having beaten them a few weeks ago I can see that NOTHING had changed! So glad we made the switch, if you're not getting quality training look elsewhere, there are so many other prgrams!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter's on YJ A team and her coach is not a parent coach. For me I want a coach that can teach my daughter more than I can. I'm not saying no parent coach is capable of this, I would have to take that case by case. I'm thrilled with my daughters coach and that is very important to me in choosing a travel team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you implying that if a kids skill level is at the B, C or D level and her father is a coach of the A team, she gets to play with the true elite regardless? I didn't think that the YJ recruiting process worked that way. I'm sure the parents of the girls that are on the A team and truly belong there aren't too thrilled about that.

That is mostly the case.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Here is the YJ business model. Be the first girl's travel program on LI - good job. Then plug as many of your coaches as possible into the local HS programs as coaches. Then pressure the kids in those school districts to play for YJ's causing an extreme conflict of interest. Kids and parents feel they have to join out of fear of repercussions from their HS coaches. Families on lower level teams fear leaving because of those same repercussions. Then coach your kids year round which is against NYS high school rules. Then have 800 kids to tryouts and give 780 of them a spot on a team. That's elite right?
Elite should be the term reserved for the top team - or perhaps top two teams in a club such as the Yellow Jackets.

Lower level teams benefit by being part of an elite club structure and potentially gaining entrance into some showcase and tournament events from which they might be rejected. While those lower level teams themselves might not be in an elite category, they can benefit through their club association.

Whether 780 from 800 are offered team spots or 280 from 800 are offered spots, the elite teams are still the top ones within any age group. The concept of being an "elite team" does not vary with the number of spots assigned. An "elite club" is one which can consistently field "elite teams".

It is a family's call as to whether the services provided to those lower teams are worth the cost. That value judgement is done based on the family's budget, expectations, and potentially, offers from other programs.

So in the case of YJ, the top 2 teams in each group are considered elite? Can you list the top 2 teams by age group?

Five years ago the YJ probably had elite teams for both Blue & Gold, but the reality is there was no Top Guns or Elevate for girls to play for - YJ was the only game in town unless you lived in Manhasset. I would contend that the A-teams for YJ, TG and Elevate are what would have made up the YJ A & B teams five years ago, there's no question that YJ B,C,D etc are a significant drop-off from the A team and can't be considered elite by any standard. You can say what you will, but 2018 and younger YJ teams are not the same caliber as there predecessors and never will be - nothing lasts forever.

Reasonable theory, but this ignores the fact that there are almost twice the number of girls playing as there were even 4 or 5 years ago. Talent pool is much deeper. Room for lots of programs. I don't think that the drop-off has changed much if at all. Especially wen you consider Express used to be every bit as big and good as TG is now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You’re going to see that in all leagues, whether it’s the coach's daughter or a friend or whatever, you kind of have to deal with it. You have to feel bad for the kid that shouldn't be there, because all the other parents and kids know who belongs and who doesn’t.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You’re going to see that in all leagues, whether it’s the coach's daughter or a friend or whatever, you kind of have to deal with it. You have to feel bad for the kid that shouldn't be there, because all the other parents and kids know who belongs and who doesn’t.
I agree. That type of situation only hurts the kid in the long run. Since they haven’t learned the value of hard work, they will be lost when they get older and have to fend for themselves. It’s a bad example for a parent to set for a child.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually if the coach is good the parents do not care if his or her child who may not be up to the other kids level is on the team.This is the case on my YJ kids team, the coach is great , his kid is a nice kid who is usually not in the game during more competitive games and I would not trade either the coach or kid for any other coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree and whos to say that it takes more then great players to make a great team,but u probably wouldnt know anything about that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is that coming from a parent whos kid isn't all that good and you keep telling yourself that to feel better. Just an assumption.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is that coming from a parent whos kid isn't all that good and you keep telling yourself that to feel better. Just an assumption.
WE know all about that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually if the coach is good the parents do not care if his or her child who may not be up to the other kids level is on the team.This is the case on my YJ kids team, the coach is great , his kid is a nice kid who is usually not in the game during more competitive games and I would not trade either the coach or kid for any other coach.

There are few like this - which team?

Than there are others where the kid does not come off the field. In some cases the kid is one of the best players on the field and in others she is clearly not but she is still on the field way too much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Than there are others where the kid does not come off the field. In some cases the kid is one of the best players on the field and in others she is clearly not but she is still on the field way too much.

Where in the YJ literature does it say anything about equal playing time? In any close game half the team doesn't see the field at all!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where in the YJ literature does it say anything about equal playing time? In any close game half the team doesn't see the field at all!

Parent coaches, no thanks. For every one good situation there are five bad ones.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Parent coaches, no thanks. For every one good situation there are five bad ones.

AMEN

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Equal play? Some tournaments are invite only. So make a team but you can't go to the good tournaments, unless you pay the recruiting fee!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Equal play? Some tournaments are invite only. So make a team but you can't go to the good tournaments, unless you pay the recruiting fee!

Do you get your info from inside a Cracker Jack box that couldn't be further then the truth. The only tournament that not everyone goes to is the National Tournament in Florida. It's not invite only it's an additional tryout. As far as the recruiting fee that's a joke because I don't think they even do the service anymore

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You could not be further from the truth, I wish the YJ teams actually played to win but have rarely seen that , yes sometimes playing time is not equal but have yet to see a game in which a kid does not get in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You could not be further from the truth, I wish the YJ teams actually played to win but have rarely seen that , yes sometimes playing time is not equal but have yet to see a game in which a kid does not get in.
I do not know of any travel team Girls or Boys that has equal playing time

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
u know what they say about assumptions, and all i was saying is that as a yj we r there to win but also to teach our girls
to be there for there team members that may b a step behind. And no my child very rarely comes off the field,but I want whats best for all the kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SAGE, THAT WOULD BE A GREAT DISCUSSION!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ask the parents of girls on cr's 2018 team how it was watching the semi=finals and finals at national draw last year - there were a lot of sad faces

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you get your info from inside a Cracker Jack box that couldn't be further then the truth. The only tournament that not everyone goes to is the National Tournament in Florida. It's not invite only it's an additional tryout. As far as the recruiting fee that's a joke because I don't think they even do the service anymore

Take your head out of your cracker jack box and look at the website. There are classes that clearly state invitation only. There was also one this past fall. As far as tryout for U15 Nationals, you have to be invited to the tryout, not everyone is. Now swallow your cracker jacks and get your info correct.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ask the parents of girls on cr's 2018 team how it was watching the semi=finals and finals at national draw last year - there were a lot of sad faces

2018 have not gone to the u15 nationals yet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the reference is to National Draw in nj, not the u-15 nationals in fla

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've always lived with the theory if my child isn't good enough to be on the field for a game like that then my child should be on a level below. It's those kids whose parents want their kids there because if the title of the team. If your kid is a B player (and she is if she's on the sideline) then your kid would be smiling on the B team bc she will play. It's about developing the player and child at that age...if they are out of their league and on the bench they will start hating the sport. Most parents on here will blame CR and take their kid elsewhere...and it will be the same thing. Be honest with yourself and let your kid play where THEY belong not where YOU want them!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know when the rosters will be reposted???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parents don't place their kids where they want. They are placed by CR and company.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter's friend just joined the YJ's and we were thinking about it too. The girl is already miserable. In her indoor games she barely plays. Less than 5 mins per game and this is indoor. Glad we stayed where we are. The grass is not always greener.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The reason my daughter chose to play for yellow jackets was she was tired of traveling all over with her team and on game day there were always the girls who were to busy to make it to practice or to work on their own running on to the field for equal playing time.It's a double edged sword but my daughters experience was exactly what she was looking for.another thing to keep in mind is that the player rotation is somewhat different if there is a championship with playoffs if you need to qualify by winning minutes can be tougher to come by.I have always explained it this way to my daughter' it's your job to make it impossible for the coach to ever consider taking you off the field it seems to work for her.Nothing wrong with earning your minutes which was explained to us at tryouts everything was up front.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the issue that is the root of the back and forth.

YJ supporters feel the youth club experience has mostly to do with winning. Especially the Championship format tournaments previously posted even if it means players don't get a chance to play at those games.
YJ detractors feel the youth club experience should be about allowing every player to experience the field during these same tournaments and allow them to become seasoned so as to improve their game.

Any Thoughts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ supporters feel the youth club experience has mostly to do with winning. Especially the Championship format tournaments previously posted even if it means players don't get a chance to play at those games.
YJ detractors feel the youth club experience should be about allowing every player to experience the field during these same tournaments and allow them to become seasoned so as to improve their game.

Any Thoughts?

If that is the YJ culture (and from what I understand it is - best kids play in most games), parents and players are aware of it and have bought into it. People do things for different reasons. Some people are happy that their kids are Yellow Jackets and deal with the lack of playing time in order to be a part of the program. Other kids play plenty so its a non issue. Personally, I'd rather see my daughter play than sit on someone's bench, but that's me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your child is a good player they will get noticed by colleges no matter what team they play for. The YJ's are great at getting schools to look at your kid, no argument there. But playing time does matter, because if they are not on the field very long they might not be noticed.

You have to look at the college Lacrosse teams websites and decide what school and teams fit your child academically and athletically. There is no profeesional womens lacosse.

My daughter plays on the worst club team there is in her age bracket and the club gave no help in recruiting. Over the past summer, 90% of the colleges she emailed came to see her play. She stood out and has committed to a great D1 school who gave her a nice package. So if you want to complain about the Club you play for go somewhere you won't complain. It will all work out if your child is a hard worker and good player. Oh by the way Grades over 90's help as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any Thoughts?

My thought is you have no idea what you are talking about. I have yet to meet any parent of a child who plays travel lacrosse that does not want their child's team to win. Within each organization different teams take different approaches to achieve this.I have seen TG , Suffolk All-Stars ,MD, etc play games where certain kids never come off the field ,and when one of those teams have success the other teams all say the same nonsense. "If we had only played our best players we would have won but that is ridiculous at that age" or something like it.Some YJ teams play kids equal time some do not just like every other organization out there.

Like Reply Quote
Page 88 of 327 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard