BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,877
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 85 of 327 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How does that work out during the recruiting years? Do schools look at all teams or just the 'A' team?
University coaches do not recruit teams, they recruit players. In particular, college coaches want to invest their time in recruiting players who have already expressed an interest in attending their institution.

From the player's perspective, the student-athlete needs to be appearing at showcases at which their target coaches will be in attendance. Typically, top teams (those referred to as "A" teams) will have top players where the target college's attendance and the student-athlete's showcase attendance are aligned. (In other words, both are in the same place at the same time!) For a "B" or "C" player, this can be more challenging however provided that the "B" or "C" team is showcasing at some level, the player will still manage to be seen by their target coach.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Is there a big difference betwen the talent on the teams? For example how much better is 'A' than 'B' or 'C' than 'D'
This question appears often in a variety of threads here on BOTC and the answer depends on the prism through which you look at the problem.

Let's say that there are 20 players per team and the players are ranked so that Team A has players #1 to #20, Team B has players #21 to #40, and so forth.

Now, if you compare Team A with Team B by looking at Player #20 versus Player #21, the teams are identical. In fact, it is likely that Team B's Player #21 could take some minutes on Team A is place of Player #20.

However, on average, Team A averages players with a ranking of 10 while Team B averages players with a ranking of 30. So while the best of Team B can play competitively with Team A, the numbers tell you that Team A on the whole will be composed of higher talent players than Team B.

To your question, there tends to be a few truly outstanding players in the Team A rankings which further skews the differences between Teams A and B.

As the move further down the curve, the differences become less noticable although they are still present.

This is generally true in an ideal world, but is based on several assumptions:

1. That the coaches are able to accurately evaluate and rank 125 or so girls during a 2 hour tryout - only 1 hour for 2021 and at an indoor facility for 2019, '20 and '21.

2. That all girls who try out are treated equally. (The fact that returning girls are told to wear their blue or yellow pinnies makes you wonder.)

3. That there is no favoritism or politics involved. I have no experience with YJ so I'm not implying anything, but that is discussed all over BOTC - boys/girls, old/young, etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Starting off on a bad foot no bad teams just where coaches thought they fit best

What does this mean?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well for the younger kids get ready to be frustrated beyond belief. some can't run and cradle let alone catch the ball. but the best part is when they run all the way up the field, not once looking to pass because mommy or daddy tells them it's probably the best way to get noticed. so sad. if this is a repeat of last year were gone. let me answer your response now. yes we will be happy somewhere else.

What age are you referring to?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter made YJ for the first time and is in the 2019 group. The roster didn't have any team colors, just the coach’s name. What team is the best and what team is the worst.

The roster who's kids have the lowest jersey numbers would be the "A" team and the trend typically continues from there, teams with no jersey numbers would be newer (weaker) teams c, d & e

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a big difference betwen the talent on the teams? For example how much better is 'A' than 'B' or 'C' than 'D'
This question appears often in a variety of threads here on BOTC and the answer depends on the prism through which you look at the problem.

Let's say that there are 20 players per team and the players are ranked so that Team A has players #1 to #20, Team B has players #21 to #40, and so forth.

Now, if you compare Team A with Team B by looking at Player #20 versus Player #21, the teams are identical. In fact, it is likely that Team B's Player #21 could take some minutes on Team A is place of Player #20.

However, on average, Team A averages players with a ranking of 10 while Team B averages players with a ranking of 30. So while the best of Team B can play competitively with Team A, the numbers tell you that Team A on the whole will be composed of higher talent players than Team B.

To your question, there tends to be a few truly outstanding players in the Team A rankings which further skews the differences between Teams A and B.

As the move further down the curve, the differences become less noticable although they are still present.

How does that work out during the recruiting years? Do schools look at all teams or just the 'A' team?

It's clearly obvious how it works for the YJ organization. Look for example at there 2013 recruiting class kids from 4 different teams like 70 kids done. So all this talk about A B C D looks like it's worth it to be part of these teams they are finding a place to go to school with YJ name regardless of team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
University coaches do not recruit teams, they recruit players. In particular, college coaches want to invest their time in recruiting players who have already expressed an interest in attending their institution.

From the player's perspective, the student-athlete needs to be appearing at showcases at which their target coaches will be in attendance. Typically, top teams (those referred to as "A" teams) will have top players where the target college's attendance and the student-athlete's showcase attendance are aligned. (In other words, both are in the same place at the same time!) For a "B" or "C" player, this can be more challenging however provided that the "B" or "C" team is showcasing at some level, the player will still manage to be seen by their target coach.

The YJ organization does a great job how casing these kids especially in the fall where many other LI clubs are no where to be found. Once the kids get to the fall they are all mixed up too which is good. The fact that they offer many opportunities to be scene is the most important part

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The YJ website says "800+" girls tried out for their teams. Not including the alternates, I counted about 770 girls who were given roster spots (to the poster above, I'm good at math so it didn't take too long). This is not a knock on any of the girls, but how can any program in any sport call itself "Elite" when 90-95% of the athletes who try out make a team? Can you say money grab?

Out of the $600 fee, how much does CR keep? Your talking $462,000 total. That's alot of dough.

Tip of the iceberg, add in clinincs, camps, yj gear, tournaments (typical tournament is about $1,200/team, probably makes $3,000-4,000 per team - 30 teams 4-6 tournaments, do the math) and letters of reccommendation (they don't come cheap either) and you can more than double that number!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter made YJ for the first time and is in the 2019 group. The roster didn't have any team colors, just the coach’s name. What team is the best and what team is the worst.

Caro, bert, costa, cook in that order - good luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bert costa same - scrimmaged and they seem pretty close - could go either way

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understand ur disappointment but sometimes parents have a hard time evaluating there own child. I know I do so maybe she is exactly where she belongs and enjoy it

You’re absolutely right. Although I was angry when she was dropped, I felt that the move was justified. It was the politics involved in the selection process that bothered me. She's happy with the team she's with now and that's all that matters.

I’m glad you’re happy, but it's still not right. My daughter is on the 'A' team, but I'm sick of having kid's like the coaches daughter and her friends/relative or whatever giving us a weak spot because of politics. The kids don’t belong on this team. Not only are they hurting our team, but they are hurting themselves. Let them develop on a 'B' or 'C' team and work their way up to 'A'. The kid's that belong here have worked hard to make this team so why shouldn't the others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What year are you referring to?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understand ur disappointment but sometimes parents have a hard time evaluating there own child. I know I do so maybe she is exactly where she belongs and enjoy it

You’re absolutely right. Although I was angry when she was dropped, I felt that the move was justified. It was the politics involved in the selection process that bothered me. She's happy with the team she's with now and that's all that matters.

I’m glad you’re happy, but it's still not right. My daughter is on the 'A' team, but I'm sick of having kid's like the coaches daughter and her friends/relative or whatever giving us a weak spot because of politics. The kids don’t belong on this team. Not only are they hurting our team, but they are hurting themselves. Let them develop on a 'B' or 'C' team and work their way up to 'A'. The kid's that belong here have worked hard to make this team so why shouldn't the others.

True yellow jacket parenr

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True yellow jacket parenr

What is a parenr?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
parent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok and what a team would this be

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well for the younger kids get ready to be frustrated beyond belief. some can't run and cradle let alone catch the ball. but the best part is when they run all the way up the field, not once looking to pass because mommy or daddy tells them it's probably the best way to get noticed. so sad. if this is a repeat of last year were gone. let me answer your response now. yes we will be happy somewhere else.

Is there cash any less green then yours?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who ever wrote thi is caught up with A B C u who r u to say where any child belongs my child is on b and proud of it .You obviosly have nothing else better to do then sit artound talking about children

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
great your kid is on b team, but i am not sitting around. i am multitasking as we speak. and since u r so mad, i guess your kid is one of the ones who cant multitask,ie run and cradle

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you also know the order for 2018s? In general, is there a lot of movement between teams each year? Thank you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
u truly have way more issues then i care to deal with have a happy holiday

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you also know the order for 2018s? In general, is there a lot of movement between teams each year? Thank you.

Typically the older they get the less movement there is - 2018 rose (thats all that really matters), incar, sum, mills

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Typically the older they get the less movement there is - 2018 rose (thats all that really matters), incar, sum, mills

Rose 2018- that's all that matters? Real nice. If that's true then all teams except the real blue should walk.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rose 2018- that's all that matters? Real nice. If that's true then all teams except the real blue should walk.

Walk to where? Most C,D & E players would have a lot of trouble making a team somewhere else and YJ is the last tryout of the year (very smart business model on all fronts)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Walk to where? Most C,D & E players would have a lot of trouble making a team somewhere else and YJ is the last tryout of the year (very smart business model on all fronts)

It was more a call out of the loser comment and attitude than a real suggestion that the girls should leave. The club would be better if this poster with the ill will left and never came back, and who cares where he goes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again look at class of 2013 those B C D E players are finding schools with YJ. That's why they play for them!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]My daughter made YJ for the first time and is in the 2019 group. The roster didn't have any team colors, just the coach’s name. What team is the best and what team is the worst.

Walk to where? Most C,D & E players would have a lot of trouble making a team somewhere else and YJ is the last tryout of the year (very smart business model on all

My daughter made liberty but didn't take it. Liberty 2nd team is like YJ 3rd.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]My daughter made YJ for the first time and is in the 2019 group. The roster didn't have any team colors, just the coach’s name. What team is the best and what team is the worst.

Walk to where? Most C,D & E players would have a lot of trouble making a team somewhere else and YJ is the last tryout of the year (very smart business model on all

I see some girls on what poster listed as B tean for YJ that didn't make a team for TG. I am not saying anything about YJ accepting lesser talent, it may be they have a better eye for talent. Could also be TG politics that didn't make room for the talent at try outs. A lot of this stuff just make you scratch your head.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again look at class of 2013 those B C D E players are finding schools with YJ. That's why they play for them!!

B team, of course.

C,d,e team, please list the schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too many too list like 70 kids!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

New to YJ, just wondering what the policy is for playing kids up. Can my daughter tryout for the 2018 team if she is 2019 and do they make any exceptions?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You should stay with 2019 . P M is taking over the team for Carro, he is a great coach. Even better if you are from Mt Sinai, or related.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You should stay with 2019 . P M is taking over the team for Carro, he is a great coach. Even better if you are from Mt Sinai, or related.

I'm neither, so I guess I'm screwed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Newbie...what is P M?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please don't spread unreliable rumors regarding coaching changes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter made liberty but didn't take it. Liberty 2nd team is like YJ 3rd. [/quote]

How do the 2018 top guns teams measure up to yellow jackets in 2018? There are 3 teams this year. I think there were 2 last year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
great your kid is on b team, but i am not sitting around. i am multitasking as we speak. and since u r so mad, i guess your kid is one of the ones who cant multitask,ie run and cradle

That is the most immature statement I have read on here. My kid was on the 3rd team and had accepted a commitment to play D1 ball in college. You need to learn to multitask my friend...maybe you should take lessons on how to parent and be an adult! It's parents like you that create annamosity in any program. Because you worship the ground your child walks on doesn't mean that same dirt isn't suitable for others. When your child doesn't succeed in life because she doesn't know what it's like to do things on her own...my third team child will flourish and appreciate all she has because she worked hard and EARNED it!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm neither, so I guess I'm screwed.

Yes u r.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How do the 2018 top guns teams measure up to yellow jackets in 2018? There are 3 teams this year. I think there were 2 last year. [/quote]

It is hard to compare because the two clubs seem to avoid each other at the summer tournaments. The A teams did play each other once last summer to a tie that got called due to weather in the 2nd half. I would think the YJs have an advantage on the lower teams since TG tryouts are first, kids who don't make the A team TG turn down lower teams only to make the lower team on YJ and have a choice, accept it or not play the next summer. I see the early tryout of TGs a advantage to the A team TG and the late tryout an advantage to YJ B, C. teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How do the 2018 top guns teams measure up to yellow jackets in 2018? There are 3 teams this year. I think there were 2 last year.

It is hard to compare because the two clubs seem to avoid each other at the summer tournaments. The A teams did play each other once last summer to a tie that got called due to weather in the 2nd half. I would think the YJs have an advantage on the lower teams since TG tryouts are first, kids who don't make the A team TG turn down lower teams only to make the lower team on YJ and have a choice, accept it or not play the next summer. I see the early tryout of TGs a advantage to the A team TG and the late tryout an advantage to YJ B, C. teams.

The biggest advantage YJ have over TG is they give the girls an opportunity to play at a younger age (Hornets). The girls play in 2nd and 3rd grade make their friends there and go on to play for the YJ. TG does not have a program like that in place. YJ having the last tryout is also a great strategy.

Like Reply Quote
Page 85 of 327 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard