BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,830
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 60 of 91 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 90 91
Re: Boys 2024 5th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going through this with my third son...

If we are still talking 2024 kids, what you guys see as their game being "compromised" is actually great for their game. Having "to do more" is very beneficial this young. Adversity is GREAT to help them develop.

Listen I bet every person here that is serious enough to complain about the level of play during PAL can list their sons weaknesses right now. Ask them to work on that stuff during PAL practices and games

PAL is cheap and so long as you can fit it in with your travel schedule is extra practice. Playing with their school friends I'm sure they enjoy.

From a dad who has done it, be careful bailing on PAL. I regretted it later

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So don't play PAL if it's so painful, what a bunch of empty headed belly aching. Simple solution dads/moms, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR PAL, see how simple that is. What a crock. PAL isn't going anywhere because there are more kids who want to start playing and learn than so called "studs".

WOW - what is it about people on this board that they cannot read??! If the travel kids leave our PAL, THERE WILL NOT BE ENOUGH kids for the program to field a team at those age groups. Where are these new 'replacement' kids going to come from genius??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great PAL posts. I saw it yesterday as well. My sons game is compromised because of not enough help around him. He tries to do too much on his own to make up for this and either gets double or tripled teamed because no one helps or worse starts to question his own ability in these cases. In the end, community or not the concern is keeping my kid interested in the game he loves. If at one point he hangs up the stick on his own that's fine, but not because he thinks he doesn't have what it takes to carry a team of disinterested boys. Time to focus on Travel, it is the future of where this sport is going on the youth level. If you don't think so, read the new rules. The recruitment rules just blew up the whole scenario. Cant do it to early, but no rule about talking to Travel programs and coaches about their boys they coach. Adapt or become extinct

The grades where this is the biggest problem problem are 5th and 6th (and maybe even 4th) - once they get to 7th, they have MS ball to really focus on besides travel. If they play PAL in 7th and 8th (my older son does), it's a distant third, and just more touches for he and the boys that do decide to play I guess if your school's lax program is really poor, then this may not play out that way for these older boys, but I can't speak to that since ours is solid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So don't play PAL if it's so painful, what a bunch of empty headed belly aching. Simple solution dads/moms, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR PAL, see how simple that is. What a crock. PAL isn't going anywhere because there are more kids who want to start playing and learn than so called "studs".

You should open up your ears more often. No one is bashing PAL. They want it to work, but the way its set up it is dwindling whether you like it or not. Been coaching for 13 years in PAL. I have never seen more towns scrambling for kids than the last 3 years. When you cant get a squad of 15-20 kids to make a team there is a big issue. We are not talking about 1 or 2 towns, we are talking many towns and its only getting worse. And when you say there are kids who still want to learn and aren't "Studs", check the registrations over the last 3 years...up or down??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going through this with my third son...

If we are still talking 2024 kids, what you guys see as their game being "compromised" is actually great for their game. Having "to do more" is very beneficial this young. Adversity is GREAT to help them develop.

Listen I bet every person here that is serious enough to complain about the level of play during PAL can list their sons weaknesses right now. Ask them to work on that stuff during PAL practices and games

PAL is cheap and so long as you can fit it in with your travel schedule is extra practice. Playing with their school friends I'm sure they enjoy.

From a dad who has done it, be careful bailing on PAL. I regretted it later

What I meant by doing "too much" was that on defense, they are sliding to pick up where the player that should have didn't and now not only is the original player who should have slid in no mans land, the compensating player has left his guy, and this snowballs when you have half of the defense that just doesn't "play". You can't have more than one player covering for another. On O, instead of moving the ball since other players neither pop out or want/can catch a pass, they boys are stuck trying to dodge through double and triple teams = lost possession and zero shots. Middle to better teams see the lack of other threats and pounce on the few that can play - they can go for doubles and triples with very little risk.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great PAL posts. I saw it yesterday as well. My sons game is compromised because of not enough help around him. He tries to do too much on his own to make up for this and either gets double or tripled teamed because no one helps or worse starts to question his own ability in these cases. In the end, community or not the concern is keeping my kid interested in the game he loves. If at one point he hangs up the stick on his own that's fine, but not because he thinks he doesn't have what it takes to carry a team of disinterested boys. Time to focus on Travel, it is the future of where this sport is going on the youth level. If you don't think so, read the new rules. The recruitment rules just blew up the whole scenario. Cant do it to early, but no rule about talking to Travel programs and coaches about their boys they coach. Adapt or become extinct

The grades where this is the biggest problem problem are 5th and 6th (and maybe even 4th) - once they get to 7th, they have MS ball to really focus on besides travel. If they play PAL in 7th and 8th (my older son does), it's a distant third, and just more touches for he and the boys that do decide to play I guess if your school's lax program is really poor, then this may not play out that way for these older boys, but I can't speak to that since ours is solid.

I see this too. Was wondering if any town teams out there require their players to meet simple requirements such as running 20 yards cradling the ball with out dropping it, simple accuracy passes, catching a thrown ball 5/8 times, whatever. If so, what tests do you use?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WOW - what is it about people on this board that they cannot read??! If the travel kids leave our PAL, THERE WILL NOT BE ENOUGH kids for the program to field a team at those age groups. Where are these new 'replacement' kids going to come from genius??

Bye-bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I see this too. Was wondering if any town teams out there require their players to meet simple requirements such as running 20 yards cradling the ball with out dropping it, simple accuracy passes, catching a thrown ball 5/8 times, whatever. If so, what tests do you use?

PAL is a learning environment designed to keep kids off the street, not foster a parents need to win through his child.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh please STFU all of you...Just pull your kid from PAL pls...I know your kid is the next Rabil. You are ALL DBs with NO life..If you dont like PAL i suggest a tutor for your kids on Sundays because if they act like you they are going to need a really good education...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#StillMissingThePoint !

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have boys that all play travel. I've just been honest with the PAL coaches that travel comes first and they aren't going to be doing back to back practices. All midfielders so they run a bunch as it is. Even with the frustration at times playing with kids just learning to play,they always want to join!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh please STFU all of you...Just pull your kid from PAL pls...I know your kid is the next Rabil. You are ALL DBs with NO life..If you dont like PAL i suggest a tutor for your kids on Sundays because if they act like you they are going to need a really good education...

Thx angry Bethpage coach.......where have you been.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thx angry Bethpage coach.......where have you been.

You still don't get it - if our kids leave, there won't be enough kids left for a team, and then those other kids are SOOL. The mere fact that we as parents care about that fact, and don't just pull our kids out and would like to figure out how to make this work for EVERYONE means we are trying to find a solution. You must be a dream to have as an employee - no solutions coming from you! The only DB here is apparently YOU!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The purpose of pal is to provide an opportunity for all kids from different social and economic backgrounds to get introduced and participate in the sport, it wasn't intended to develop ur kid into a d1 lax player, not to say there aren't some really good town teams out there in which kids can thrive. Obviously theres lots of frustration with with the way pal is run/operated and if ur a parent who feels that way and ur kid has the talent and interest in the sport beyond what pal can offer, look elsewhere, there are plenty of club teams salivating to take ur money.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#no one

#StillMissingThePoint !

#turnoutthelightsonyourwayout

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only way to make pal work is to make it more attractive than joining a club team. There's no doubt that if pal brought in paid coaches who truly have the desire to teach the fundamentals and principles of the game and teams were balanced according to skill level, more kids would stay. As a parent I would have no problem paying an extra few bucks for better training. It would still be a bargain compared to club fees.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You could not be more wrong

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#no one

#StillMissingThePoint !

#turnoutthelightsonyourwayout

#wantstolooksnarkybutjustlooksdumb

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PAL is dying. Plain and Simple. Yes you get a town here or there that can put something together and make it work, but the majority does not. Complaining parents, uncommitted kids that show up randomly to practices etc. If your kid wants to play this sport and I mean really wants to play, your best bet is the travel circuit. PAL puts kids on the field that don't belong playing together and that creates a major problem. I understand the $ it costs and that its not doable by some, but the sport as a whole needs to recognize what can happen at this level. You get a defenseman who plays on a tier 1 travel team go up against a kid who only picks up his stick 1 or 2 times a week on PAL, he's either going to get trampled or hurt. What's the sense of it. Than the coaches get the backlash because "my kid should be coached on how to deal with that defenseman" on the flip side I have to watch my sons face as he leaves a field upset from the lack of effort from some his teammates who really don't want to be there. Listen mom and dad if your kid picks up a stick to go to practice and then puts it down until next practice, he's not into the sport. Period. Take some responsibility for this. For those who have a kid that wants to get better, and wants to be on the field, the coaches and players are a much better fit at the Travel level. As much as I want PAL to work the sport has grown so fast that Travel has made itself the place where kids who want it can go out and get it without having to deal with a kid who is just out there because his dad played back in the day and rarely picks up a stick. Didn't make the rules here but its obvious what s going on. Writing those checks is sometimes painful, but the difference in my sons Travel team to his PAL team is light years and I think its worth it. Skill wise. coaching wise, teammate wise and overall IQ wise.

Before the weekend, I would have argued against this post. After yesterday's game, I have come around more so to this POV - my son is one of a half-dozen plus travel players on his PAL team, and they have almost no one after them that can even begin to play with them. The game goes south very fast when these better players start trying to do too much to make up for the other players - the aspects of team O and D disappear and a loss turns into a beat down. My son is now not enjoying playing PAL, and I need to decide if playing in the community program is worth risking him losing his enthusiasm for the sport altogether. If the travel kids bail, then the PAL team will not have enough players in general, and would only be a hot mess if they could scrape enough boys together. The only way I can see this working, and that might only be a band aid, is to combine with another age and have an A and B team of each - so, in my son's case, combine the 5th and 6th better players and the the same thing with the sames ages' lesser players - both would play in the 6th grade PAL division, but one would play top tier while the other would play lowest tier. That would work out for the A team - not sure how that would for the B team. Either way, this would be sticky for the parents of players that are on the B team for both ages - too many parents don't want to acknowledge that their little Johnny is both not very talented (which is OK, and could be for numerous reasons - years playing, etc) and/or not nearly as committed as others. Tough spot for the local organization, but they will have to look longer term to see if their action or inaction is going to kill the program.

Here is a solution. Instead of towns, have districts of 4-5 neighboring towns. would be able to get 2-3 teams in each district. An A team, a b team and a developmental team. That's way each group would be happy and it would create an environment where kids could learn the game without incident or injury.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The purpose of pal is to provide an opportunity for all kids from different social and economic backgrounds to get introduced and participate in the sport, it wasn't intended to develop ur kid into a d1 lax player, not to say there aren't some really good town teams out there in which kids can thrive. Obviously theres lots of frustration with with the way pal is run/operated and if ur a parent who feels that way and ur kid has the talent and interest in the sport beyond what pal can offer, look elsewhere, there are plenty of club teams salivating to take ur money.

I believe most of the people that are frustrated on here have their kids playing in travel. We all want our kids to play for their town with their friends. I will only speak on my son, although I'm probably not alone. He is very competitive and wants his team to win. But when 1/2 the kids can't throw or catch he gets very frustrated. When your team gets the crap beaten out of them on a weekly basis, how is that fun?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Travel team cost 4 to 5 thousand, PAL 200 bucks. It should be light years ahead. So 10 or 11 year old kids , who want to attempt to try a new sport, shouldn't be allowed

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i love the fact that when you mention your kid plays travel the first response is "you think your kid is going D1". No, how about the fact he loves the game and wants to play with a group of kids on his level. Is that so wrong? Than of course people follow with how much we pay. Oh I guess when little johnny plays travel baseball, soccer, hockey, or basketball they are free? Stop criticizing 10 year old kids because they play more than one sport and your offended he is not dedicated only to you. Your the head case, not the kids!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Travel team cost 4 to 5 thousand, PAL 200 bucks. It should be light years ahead. So 10 or 11 year old kids , who want to attempt to try a new sport, shouldn't be allowed

Not all clubs cost that much. And no one is saying they shouldn't. But the current PAL format in broken. Registration is down. Smaller town programs with not get enough kids to have a team. Then what?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When the pal director has 3 high schools in the district and a travel team yet still gets to put his own teams in the lower brackets, you can't expect him to care about your teams. Last season in PAL. Rather have scrimmage games with equally matched towns on times and dates that work for us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The solution has already been presented offer what club teams do at the pal level, build it and they will come....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So in a nutshell, what the parents want out of their PAL tuition is:

Run by certified trainers
Paid coaches
Broken down into an A & B team
3 practices a week
Districts merged and the best of the best put on A, second tier is B and third team is developmental.
Head Coaches of the school districts to run the program.

All for the bargain basement price of about $200!

Does this look logical, reasonable or even sane to anyone?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PAL is dying. Plain and Simple. Yes you get a town here or there that can put something together and make it work, but the majority does not. Complaining parents, uncommitted kids that show up randomly to practices etc. If your kid wants to play this sport and I mean really wants to play, your best bet is the travel circuit. PAL puts kids on the field that don't belong playing together and that creates a major problem. I understand the $ it costs and that its not doable by some, but the sport as a whole needs to recognize what can happen at this level. You get a defenseman who plays on a tier 1 travel team go up against a kid who only picks up his stick 1 or 2 times a week on PAL, he's either going to get trampled or hurt. What's the sense of it. Than the coaches get the backlash because "my kid should be coached on how to deal with that defenseman" on the flip side I have to watch my sons face as he leaves a field upset from the lack of effort from some his teammates who really don't want to be there. Listen mom and dad if your kid picks up a stick to go to practice and then puts it down until next practice, he's not into the sport. Period. Take some responsibility for this. For those who have a kid that wants to get better, and wants to be on the field, the coaches and players are a much better fit at the Travel level. As much as I want PAL to work the sport has grown so fast that Travel has made itself the place where kids who want it can go out and get it without having to deal with a kid who is just out there because his dad played back in the day and rarely picks up a stick. Didn't make the rules here but its obvious what s going on. Writing those checks is sometimes painful, but the difference in my sons Travel team to his PAL team is light years and I think its worth it. Skill wise. coaching wise, teammate wise and overall IQ wise.

Before the weekend, I would have argued against this post. After yesterday's game, I have come around more so to this POV - my son is one of a half-dozen plus travel players on his PAL team, and they have almost no one after them that can even begin to play with them. The game goes south very fast when these better players start trying to do too much to make up for the other players - the aspects of team O and D disappear and a loss turns into a beat down. My son is now not enjoying playing PAL, and I need to decide if playing in the community program is worth risking him losing his enthusiasm for the sport altogether. If the travel kids bail, then the PAL team will not have enough players in general, and would only be a hot mess if they could scrape enough boys together. The only way I can see this working, and that might only be a band aid, is to combine with another age and have an A and B team of each - so, in my son's case, combine the 5th and 6th better players and the the same thing with the sames ages' lesser players - both would play in the 6th grade PAL division, but one would play top tier while the other would play lowest tier. That would work out for the A team - not sure how that would for the B team. Either way, this would be sticky for the parents of players that are on the B team for both ages - too many parents don't want to acknowledge that their little Johnny is both not very talented (which is OK, and could be for numerous reasons - years playing, etc) and/or not nearly as committed as others. Tough spot for the local organization, but they will have to look longer term to see if their action or inaction is going to kill the program.

Here is a solution. Instead of towns, have districts of 4-5 neighboring towns. would be able to get 2-3 teams in each district. An A team, a b team and a developmental team. That's way each group would be happy and it would create an environment where kids could learn the game without incident or injury.

Sounds good. But have 2 teams per district. A tournament team and a developmental team. You can bring kids up to tourney team if appropriate. Then as kids develope you can have more teams. If kids want to move up, it will promote them keeping the stick in their hand and getting better. If not, then they still get to play lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Schedule for Koehler tournament just came out, sad to see age brackets with 4 or 5 teams in it total, competition for town teams is becoming sparse, really getting to point of not being worth investing a day at the field..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Travel Clubs build a spring league with the best clubs competing every week like they do in Maryland. The travel kids would be challenged and happy and the PAL league would continue to develop players new to the sport.

Win Win.---- Do it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So in a nutshell, what the parents want out of their PAL tuition is:

Run by certified trainers
Paid coaches
Broken down into an A & B team
3 practices a week
Districts merged and the best of the best put on A, second tier is B and third team is developmental.
Head Coaches of the school districts to run the program.

All for the bargain basement price of about $200!

Does this look logical, reasonable or even sane to anyone?

All coaches should be certified
Do not need paid coaches.
A & B would be good
2 a week
Districts make sense
HS coaches involved in offseason training would be good.
Double the price

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Travel Clubs build a spring league with the best clubs competing every week like they do in Maryland. The travel kids would be challenged and happy and the PAL league would continue to develop players new to the sport.

Win Win.---- Do it!

That's gonna happen. But when it does, most PAL programs will cease to exist. Will not have enough kids to form teams outside of the large school districts. This convo is an attempt to tell PAL that they need to change.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Win Win.---- Do it!

That's gonna happen. But when it does, most PAL programs will cease to exist. Will not have enough kids to form teams outside of the large school districts. This convo is an attempt to tell PAL that they need to change.

Yup - that's the point that the other genius can't get through his thick head.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need to change with the times. This is the wave of the future like it or not. Pal MUST adjust or die out. Either they work around travel teams or step it up. Now all you here is PAL directors and coaches complaining about travel. Or just make Pal for developing players, but be careful what you wish for. Coaching a bunch of 5th 6th graders who still can't catch or throw can be frustrating.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sachem Shootout posted. Who is YMYL? they have teams in almost all grades.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Schedule for Koehler tournament just came out, sad to see age brackets with 4 or 5 teams in it total, competition for town teams is becoming sparse, really getting to point of not being worth investing a day at the field..

It's also mothers day/communion weekend, with a blatant town tourney same weekend. Still enough teams. Just spread out or unavailable.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sachem Shootout posted. Who is YMYL? they have teams in almost all grades.

It's LYML- Larchmont

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's also mothers day/communion weekend, with a blatant town tourney same weekend. Still enough teams. Just spread out or unavailable.

Blatant was last weekend

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can wish upon a star but PAL isn't changing, they won't raise the price because that would put certain people out of the market. It's going to stay the same, and the directors are going to say thanks, and if it dies it dies. So might as well leave now and sign up for the travel team you think your kid belongs on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is an A and B bracket for each age. About 8-12 teams per age. That's a nice turnout, except when you think about how many town teams are on LI and not competing in a single tourney.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Blatant was last weekend

Since when did they change mother's day to Saturday?? And yes blatant was last week and also had small age group divisions, just seems only big tournaments are those that combine town and club or just exclusively club, just saying...

Page 60 of 91 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 90 91

Link Copied to Clipboard