BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,788
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 45 of 58 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Waiting for all the liberals to blame trump for this injustice. Let's start protesting

What are they going to occupy?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Kids can email coaches but coaches are not allowed to read the emails.

That's why I just told my daughter to put down, "Camp payment mailing address" as the subject in her e-mails to the coaches.

Coaches can read the emails-they just can not respond with anything recruiting specific which is no different than before.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many coaches ask their committed players to attend. My daughters college coach does.

LOL. If your kid currently has a verbal and no NLI - you should be making plans to attend that prospect camp and plan on dominating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The tipping point with this passing was probably when clubs, parents and college coaches showed they did not have the good sense to stop early recruitment at 9th grade. No matter how talented a player is, there is no reason he/she needs to be deciding on college as a middle schooler, except that the club directors and parents are in a race for bragging rights. The insane actions of some have now resulted in restrictions for a larger group. Freshman year and even sophomore year is plenty early to begin the recruiting process. To the person who is about to comment that I'm just jealous my kid was not good enough to be recruited early - I have a 2020 who verbally committed a few months ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous
Don't lose sight of the facts people- less than 2% of HS athletes get athletic scholarship money. Less than 50% play all 4 years. 37% of kids transfer once in college and of those 37%, 42% transfer a 2nd time. If you slow down the process you have a much better chance of getting it right on all counts[/quote]

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2020s that are already committed are not affected by the rule change. They can still communicate with their coach by phone since the recruiting conversation has already taken place. They just can't visit until Jr year. This is what my committed sons coach told him. They also can talk at prospect camps held at the school.

This is completely wrong. Your 2020 verbal committment means nothing to the NCAA . Same rules apply to all 2020 kids .

THIS is true - rule means no further contact, comitted or not...you are still a PSA (prospective student athlete) in the eyes on the NCAA

If OP was correct, everyone would say "we've had a conversation (wink wink) so we can keep talking"...nope...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question????? What about all the college coaches that are now coaching with club teams. Are they recruiting??? College Coaches whose kids that play on club teams. Conversations with parents/kids on sidelines OK???

This was a dumb, un-American rule that is supposed to be enforced by a corrupt NCAA. Lets see which teams get hurt by some NCAA sanction??? My guess....not any of the biggest early recruiting schools whose coaches talked out of both sides of their mouth.

Un-American? Really? It's lacrosse, not the degradation of the free world. Put it in perspective please. You knew this was coming, did you do anything? Consult a lawyer? File a class action lawsuit with all the others? Any attempt to use the American system to block what you call un-American, or just world class whining on BOTC?

Degradation of the free world ??? Your a jack-a$$. Class action suit....your a bigger Jack-a$$. This takes away the free market and is a non-enforceable rule. No whining, just my opinion. A parent/kid should be able to talk to a coach and decide whenever they want and decide on a college when they want to not when the NCAA decides they can. I don't get all the complaining about early recruiting. Some parents/kids commit early....some don't, So what. The NCAA, which is corrupt, is now deciding when your kid can talk/correspond with a coach etc. Tell me how they are going to enforce this rule??? Consequences are
now we will have more backdoor deals. Sorry Dumb rule.

Wow awfully hostile, didn't realize I called you names. Why don't you and your son go cry this out together! Freaking [lacrosse]

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous
Don't lose sight of the facts people- less than 2% of HS athletes get athletic scholarship money. Less than 50% play all 4 years. 37% of kids transfer once in college and of those 37%, 42% transfer a 2nd time. If you slow down the process you have a much better chance of getting it right on all counts

[/quote]
While that sounds like common sense I would not be so sure . You are using statistics to try and make a point but you have no idea if the early recruits fair any better or not with those numbers. Obviously the 2% number is completely off with early recruits as most likely are the rest of the numbers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many coaches ask their committed players to attend. My daughters college coach does.

LOL. If your kid currently has a verbal and no NLI - you should be making plans to attend that prospect camp and plan on dominating.

The jealousy of committed kids never ceases to amaze me. Coaches don't renege on verbal commitments unless a kid doesn't meet their end of the bargain with grades/test scores or does something really stupid where they get in trouble. Even in most situations where coaches leave the school or the committed kid gets injured, the verbal commitment has a very strong history of staying in tact. To say otherwise is B.S. otherwise show proof of several examples.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So does this new rule now lessen the importance of overpriced clubs that hype college contacts and early "looks" before high school?

No official direct recruiting contact September 1 or Junior year.

This rule promotes players (and parents) to mature prior to making a decision where they are going to spend the next 4 years. I guess it also stops overbearing parents from focusing on early "verbal" commitments rather then the correct commitment. Now they have to wait a little while to buy the sweatshirt.

Since this rule is applied to everyone why is it a bad thing?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question????? What about all the college coaches that are now coaching with club teams. Are they recruiting??? College Coaches whose kids that play on club teams. Conversations with parents/kids on sidelines OK???

This was a dumb, un-American rule that is supposed to be enforced by a corrupt NCAA. Lets see which teams get hurt by some NCAA sanction??? My guess....not any of the biggest early recruiting schools whose coaches talked out of both sides of their mouth.

Un-American? Really? It's lacrosse, not the degradation of the free world. Put it in perspective please. You knew this was coming, did you do anything? Consult a lawyer? File a class action lawsuit with all the others? Any attempt to use the American system to block what you call un-American, or just world class whining on BOTC?

Degradation of the free world ??? Your a jack-a$$. Class action suit....your a bigger Jack-a$$. This takes away the free market and is a non-enforceable rule. No whining, just my opinion. A parent/kid should be able to talk to a coach and decide whenever they want and decide on a college when they want to not when the NCAA decides they can. I don't get all the complaining about early recruiting. Some parents/kids commit early....some don't, So what. The NCAA, which is corrupt, is now deciding when your kid can talk/correspond with a coach etc. Tell me how they are going to enforce this rule??? Consequences are
now we will have more backdoor deals. Sorry Dumb rule.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So by your thinking it also would be alright to sign with an agent (other sports), receive $ while on scholarship, ect...because who is the NCAA to tell you what you can do. Your logic is moronic. Accept the rule and move on. It's not the end of the world. And it makes sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The tipping point with this passing was probably when clubs, parents and college coaches showed they did not have the good sense to stop early recruitment at 9th grade. No matter how talented a player is, there is no reason he/she needs to be deciding on college as a middle schooler, except that the club directors and parents are in a race for bragging rights. The insane actions of some have now resulted in restrictions for a larger group. Freshman year and even sophomore year is plenty early to begin the recruiting process. To the person who is about to comment that I'm just jealous my kid was not good enough to be recruited early - I have a 2020 who verbally committed a few months ago.

Sorry disagree. Don't understand why its anybodys business when a parent/student commits. Some commit early and some don't. The vast majority commit 10th-11th grade. But because some jealous/uninformed people extolled the negatives of early commits we have the NCAA determining when parents/kids can talk to coaches. So why the need for a rule that is virtually un-enforceable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So by your thinking it also would be alright to sign with an agent (other sports), receive $ while on scholarship, ect...because who is the NCAA to tell you what you can do. Your logic is moronic. Accept the rule and move on. It's not the end of the world. And it makes sense.

That's the best analogy you can make. Jeez.....now I know why a lefty lemming like you would support the NCAA taking your rights away as a parent and/or student.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So does this new rule now lessen the importance of overpriced clubs that hype college contacts and early "looks" before high school?

No official direct recruiting contact September 1 or Junior year.

This rule promotes players (and parents) to mature prior to making a decision where they are going to spend the next 4 years. I guess it also stops overbearing parents from focusing on early "verbal" commitments rather then the correct commitment. Now they have to wait a little while to buy the sweatshirt.

Since this rule is applied to everyone why is it a bad thing?

The rule is not bad, the way they told everyone you will have to August to get your ducks in a row, then sucker punched everyone including all the college coaches is what is very wrong here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

but... we need to charge parents excess club fees to "say" that we are in talks with colleges on their behalf.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IMLCA just issued a statement confirmed by the NCAA that any third party used to circumvent the new rules on contacting PSAs before the new date is a violation. That includes to make a verbal commitment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry disagree. Don't understand why its anybodys business when a parent/student commits. Some commit early and some don't. The vast majority commit 10th-11th grade. But because some jealous/uninformed people extolled the negatives of early commits we have the NCAA determining when parents/kids can talk to coaches. So why the need for a rule that is virtually un-enforceable.

It is needed because extreme ER is not in the best interest of most kids or the culture of youth sports. What is the disadvantage of a super star 7th or 8th grader waiting until high school to begin recruiting? Are you afraid other kids will catch up to your early bloomer or reclassified kid and he will no longer stand out as much? Personally, I would have preferred that clubs, parents and college coaches showed some common sense so the NCAA didn't feel the need to step in to pass special rules for lacrosse - let parents and their high schoolers decide when they are ready to begin the recruiting process - but it was needed given the direction things were continuing to go.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Beside the 200 players this effects. This will be good for the players that play youth lacrosse and HS lacrosse.

Maybe some sanity will come to all these rising 8th, 9th and 10th grade prospect camps..elite camps..The epedemic of holding your child back ( not sure if that will stop)..Elite youth leagues starting at 4th grade.. And some sanity to some of the clubs and their influence on the youth under 9th grade. High School should become as important as your club now..maybe more for some players.

That will never happen in the real world. High school teams will never be as important now that there are clubs. With the exception of the private schools who gear themselves to lax and the high schools lucky enough to draw from areas not in the private school backyards with a concentration of good players, this thought is unrealistic. The majority of high school programs are community kids playing together with a teacher as the coach. The elite players play on their high school teams for various reasons but know their club is where they will be seen and will make them better players.

This is exactly how our girls high school team is. We have a few club players, one commit and then girls who only play lax during this season and a coach that never played in college. You can't compare this to our club team expereince, no way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Beside the 200 players this effects. This will be good for the players that play youth lacrosse and HS lacrosse.

Maybe some sanity will come to all these rising 8th, 9th and 10th grade prospect camps..elite camps..The epedemic of holding your child back ( not sure if that will stop)..Elite youth leagues starting at 4th grade.. And some sanity to some of the clubs and their influence on the youth under 9th grade. High School should become as important as your club now..maybe more for some players.

How is this good for youth and high school players? The players on our high school lacrosse team that aren't tying to play in college could care less when you commit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kids can email coaches but coaches are not allowed to read the emails.

That's why I just told my daughter to put down, "Camp payment mailing address" as the subject in her e-mails to the coaches.

HAHAHAH!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the best analogy you can make. Jeez.....now I know why a lefty lemming like you would support the NCAA taking your rights away as a parent and/or student.

No rights were taken away - a limit has been placed on the 'age' when that right can be executed, and it is a restriction on both parties. If you want to criticize the NCAA, there are plenty of other examples where their rules truly do take away SA rights, but this is not one of them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The coaches wanted it. Stop making it a small percentage of parents, that's not the case. Coaches were tired of dealing with children and overbearing parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Put that money towards SAT and ACT prep classes now....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh No. Cancel Classes. Offer Quiet rooms. Maybe bring in dogs for the kids to pet and help cope with this ruling. Dopes. Nothing wrong with the new rule. Now maybe all you parents that held your kid back a grade so he can look like a stud at ages 11/12 playing against 8/9/10yr olds will now petition the school to let your son back in to his correct grade so he can have contact with a college sooner. Morons!!!!HaHaHa

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is needed because extreme ER is not in the best interest of most kids or the culture of youth sports. What is the disadvantage of a super star 7th or 8th grader waiting until high school to begin recruiting? Are you afraid other kids will catch up to your early bloomer or reclassified kid and he will no longer stand out as much? Personally, I would have preferred that clubs, parents and college coaches showed some common sense so the NCAA didn't feel the need to step in to pass special rules for lacrosse - let parents and their high schoolers decide when they are ready to begin the recruiting process - but it was needed given the direction things were continuing to go.

Again...sorry disagree. You are Hoping that the NCAA takes care of the concerns YOU have. Why do you feel a parent/student of an 8th/9th grader cant decide where they want to go to school. Its Their decision. They can say no. If they say yes and if they make a bad decision ....so be it. Student athletes transfer etc all the time. Most D1 starting quarterbacks play at different schools than they originally committed to. I don't get how you think an agency (NCAA) or govt should regulate when the decision a parent/student/athlete can decide where to go to college. As far as reclass....again who cares. They will either prove to be a good player or not. Too many people looking over their shoulder at others and making judgements about other parents/students/athletes decisions. Finally it is un-enforceable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The IWLCA has removed a statement from their twitter account and website where they stated (and I paraphrase) "we kept the immediate implementation plan quiet so that there would not be a stampede of commitments." Did anyone else see it before it was scrubbed or is this all just an insane dream?

I do not care for the way they handled the implementation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are 2020 showcases even relevant any more this year? Should I save my money and not enroll my son until next year? Any help is appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh No. Cancel Classes. Offer Quiet rooms. Maybe bring in dogs for the kids to pet and help cope with this ruling. Dopes. Nothing wrong with the new rule. Now maybe all you parents that held your kid back a grade so he can look like a stud at ages 11/12 playing against 8/9/10yr olds will now petition the school to let your son back in to his correct grade so he can have contact with a college sooner. Morons!!!!HaHaHa

Yeah, I was pissed about the agent rule. wth Who are you to say I cant!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All 2020's and younger families--go on a relaxing vacation this summer as a family for a change and forget about early commitments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again...sorry disagree. You are Hoping that the NCAA takes care of the concerns YOU have. Why do you feel a parent/student of an 8th/9th grader cant decide where they want to go to school. Its Their decision. They can say no. If they say yes and if they make a bad decision ....so be it. Student athletes transfer etc all the time. Most D1 starting quarterbacks play at different schools than they originally committed to. I don't get how you think an agency (NCAA) or govt should regulate when the decision a parent/student/athlete can decide where to go to college. As far as reclass....again who cares. They will either prove to be a good player or not. Too many people looking over their shoulder at others and making judgements about other parents/students/athletes decisions. Finally it is un-enforceable.

On the flip side your son or daughter is not entitled to early commitment to college just because he/she is a good lacrosse player any more the some 9th grader who gets straight As with AP classes buts sucks at sports. ER poisons the whole sport down to youth. Colleges have the right to regulate when and how student athletes are admitted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
VULTURES!!!!!!!

fl$ Parent,

This month, the NCAA Division I Council passed a legislation that prohibits college coaches from communicating with prospective student-athletes until September 1st of their Junior year in High School. While the exact date is still unclear, the NCAA Council plans on making this legislation effective immediately. 

Now, how does this legislation impact your recruiting process? While Division I college coaches can't communicate with you about recruiting until September 1st of your Junior year, they can still coach you up at a camp.

*****In fact, camps, prospect days, showcases, and clinics will become great resources for players going through the recruiting process to get in front of college coaches. On the flip side, these camps will be great for college coaches to recruit, learn about specific players, and develop athletes who could potentially be contacted after September 1st of their junior years.

So, if you're a rising freshmen, sophomore, or junior, continue playing for your High School team, club team, attend prospect days, and check-out some of the great showcases that are out there. This will be your opportunity to build a relationship, learn from, and be seen by Division I college coaches this Spring & Summer! 

To learn more about the showcase camps that fl$ Lacrosse runs, be sure to click the Video Thumbnails below

Sincerely,

The fl$ Lacrosse Team who have absolutely no agenda or financial gain in writing this to you. We are just looking out for your kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Save the money on the show cases. Next year as a rising 11th grader, go to the prospect camps of your child's choice. Best bang for the buck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
save your money. Go to the prospect camps . Bigger bang for the buck, if your kid is a stud it will show.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How is this good for youth and high school players? The players on our high school lacrosse team that aren't tying to play in college could care less when you commit.

Really?? Someone needs to explain this to you??! This rule has nothing to do with NON-PSAs, nor should it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All 2020's and younger families--go on a relaxing vacation this summer as a family for a change and forget about early commitments.

Still need to do the same thing that they are doing now. Coaches will still be evaluating 2020's at the best events this Summer and into next year, so that the players are lined up going into Sept. 1 Junior year. It's not like the coaching staffs are going to start looking at players that year for the first time. Going to be a bunch of winks all throughout the year, then a flurry of calls to lock in players as soon as the bell rings. Same thing for remaining 2019's this Summer, without the school year in between. If anything, kids are going to work even harder now. Kids that love the game will just do what they are supposed to do and leave all the bs to the obsessive parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Still need to do the same thing that they are doing now. Coaches will still be evaluating 2020's at the best events this Summer and into next year, so that the players are lined up going into Sept. 1 Junior year. It's not like the coaching staffs are going to start looking at players that year for the first time. Going to be a bunch of winks all throughout the year, then a flurry of calls to lock in players as soon as the bell rings. Same thing for remaining 2019's this Summer, without the school year in between. If anything, kids are going to work even harder now. Kids that love the game will just do what they are supposed to do and leave all the bs to the obsessive parents.

1. This rule was implemented in a very unsavory and underhanded way that directly impacted the 2020/2021 classes most. That is a fact not an opinion.
2. This rule only applies to lacrosse. Other sports can continue with early recruiting, which really makes lacrosse look ridiculous IMO (just ask my non-lacrosse friends).
3. This will make club lacrosse extremely important for rising freshman and sophomores Club coaches can still give "evaluative" feedback to college coaches. In other words, "players X, Y, and Z are very strong players," i.e. I know these kids are interested in your program and they are my best players. No matter how much you police, certain words, phrases, and actions are going to indicate levels of interest on both sides. A recruiting shorthand/subtext will develop that is within the letter of the law, but outside its intent.
4. Prospect camps rising junior year will be where decisions are made for the next fall. Again, the letter of the law will be followed, but actions/feedback from coaches, either direct or through club coaches will develop a whole new vocabulary.
5. Calls will go out first day of junior year. The player has already visited the school and knows the personality of the coach. An unofficial visit will be made and a commitment secured and announcements made.

Will it go like that? I don't know but it's a very possible scenario that has really fixed nothing but early social media postings. Maybe I'm just cynical. . .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are 2020 showcases even relevant any more this year? Should I save my money and not enroll my son until next year? Any help is appreciated.

100 % college coaches will be evaluating 2020 ' s this summer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The IWLCA has removed a statement from their twitter account and website where they stated (and I paraphrase) "we kept the immediate implementation plan quiet so that there would not be a stampede of commitments." Did anyone else see it before it was scrubbed or is this all just an insane dream?

I do not care for the way they handled the implementation.

YES i saw that!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"New legislation means that a great way to have face-to-face contact with our coaches is by coming to Duke lax camp. dukelacrossecampforboys.com."

Leave it to entrepreneurial college coaches to immediately turn this change into something to drive more revenue in their direction.

Like Reply Quote
Page 45 of 58 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard