BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,863
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 91 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 90 91
Re: Boys 2024 5th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My kids have been playing travel lacrosse for years. My little guy is 10-yrs old. I am aware of certain towns that find it ok and part of the norm to hold back there kids for sports.But with this 2024 age group, I have noticed and inquired so (not making assumptions) on all of the top teams and in most cases up to and over 80% of the team is made up of kids that should be in 6th grade. So go ahead start the banter about if your kid is good enough he would make the team. Well...He did make the team! but I still find it ridiculous that we as parents and more important, the club owners find this ok.

While I can't vouch for the %, I have to say, when I look at my now 13 yo, who has always played on age-appropriate 2021 travel teams, if he had been playing on a 2022 team, he would have been very dominant due to his athleticism alone. Speed and strengthwise, it would have been a joke - he wouldn't even have needed to be more than adequately skilled to achieve that dominance. I just don't see the logic in pretending that a boy is better than he is by playing down!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The people that don't think there are Big games at this level are the ones who have sons that either play on a low level teams or just sit the bench on a mediocre team. Or at no point were competitive in their own life. Being excited for a Big game is what puts the boys on top teams playing at a top level. This is not just about Lax but any sport they play or even the bigger picture which is Life. At what point does any game get big or competitive? I saw this with my older son " oh they're only 10,11,12,13 all of a sudden they are 16-17 and being left behind by the rest of the boys who took the road of getting excited for big games and treating them as such. I am by no means saying your kid should be miserable playing the sport or not take time off to be a kid, but if he is going to stick with it and has aspirations to play on the top tier teams than the road starts with his drive towards each and every game and what he can bring to the field for his team. Not much different than life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they are called games for a reason. A "big" game is one the mets lost last night, cost their organization millions in lost revenue just from one or two possibly three series. Now thats a big game. Our 5th graders playing for the Hershey Squirt cup not so big. I dont care what team you are on there are no big games in 5th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pack Taz games ? You mean the games where the idiot parents go crazy on the sidelines ? Oh yea those games ... Yes I have seen one. And you parents should check yourselves. LOSERS !!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, it's only a big game to you, in your own mind. Kids at this age don't care nearly as much as you do. You really need to get over yourselves and enjoy your kids being 10 years old. The kids forget "big game" losses 15 minutes after the game, while you lay awake wondering what might have been, thinking about how you're gonna spin the loss on BOTC

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year my son , who is a top player at another age group asked me sadly just to drop him off at the game and let him play without me on sidelines. Yes sidelines , not on the field like a lot of us nuts wind up. He said he and some of his friends get nervous and embarrassed by us. Truth. I gave him his request and he torn it up as he does most of the time. Now I sit a few yards away , by myself. People , the kids hate us before , during and after these "big games" as you call them. Trust me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see no harm in treating every game like its a big game, every test like its the sat's . regardless of level- if the competitive juices are not flowing for any game, than why bother playing, yes, I think the parents take this very seriously as 1000's of dollars are spent and countless hours at the field, so what . I see nothing wrong with having a child get a good night sleep before a tournament, a test, a recital, whatever. if you don't take travel seriously, than why play . of course the big game does not matter in the grand scheme of life, but. why do anything in life half assed

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pack Taz games ? You mean the games where the idiot parents go crazy on the sidelines ? Oh yea those games ... Yes I have seen one. And you parents should check yourselves. LOSERS !!

Right from a 3rd stringers Dads mouth. Beat it. Weak little man

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kids have been playing travel lacrosse for years. My little guy is 10-yrs old. I am aware of certain towns that find it ok and part of the norm to hold back there kids for sports.But with this 2024 age group, I have noticed and inquired so (not making assumptions) on all of the top teams and in most cases up to and over 80% of the team is made up of kids that should be in 6th grade. So go ahead start the banter about if your kid is good enough he would make the team. Well...He did make the team! but I still find it ridiculous that we as parents and more important, the club owners find this ok.

While I can't vouch for the %, I have to say, when I look at my now 13 yo, who has always played on age-appropriate 2021 travel teams, if he had been playing on a 2022 team, he would have been very dominant due to his athleticism alone. Speed and strengthwise, it would have been a joke - he wouldn't even have needed to be more than adequately skilled to achieve that dominance. I just don't see the logic in pretending that a boy is better than he is by playing down!

Let me preface this by saying that my kid is NOT a holdback. But, what's the big deal? When you signed up for the team, didn't they ask what "grade" he was in? Or, his graduating year? Remember, very few of these kids are held back for athletic reasons. Most are held back because they were not developmentally ready to begin elementary school. Also, most have October, November, or December birthdays so we're realistically talking about the difference of a few months. There are a few that are a full year older,, of course, but so be it. They're all going to be playing against each other in two years in middle school and beyond. I feel like the people who [lacrosse] about hold backs are the people who's little superstar just doesn't look as good as some of the other kids. That's parent ego and it has no place in youth sports. And please spare me the whole "it's a danger to the other kids" act. If you're afraid of your boy getting hurt, then maybe the sport isn't for you. My kid is one of the smallest on his team. He beats them with speed. He still takes his shots, but he learned a long time ago to get back up. It's part of the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let me preface this by saying that my kid is NOT a holdback. But, what's the big deal? When you signed up for the team, didn't they ask what "grade" he was in? Or, his graduating year? Remember, very few of these kids are held back for athletic reasons. Most are held back because they were not developmentally ready to begin elementary school. Also, most have October, November, or December birthdays so we're realistically talking about the difference of a few months. There are a few that are a full year older,, of course, but so be it. They're all going to be playing against each other in two years in middle school and beyond. I feel like the people who [lacrosse] about hold backs are the people who's little superstar just doesn't look as good as some of the other kids. That's parent ego and it has no place in youth sports. And please spare me the whole "it's a danger to the other kids" act. If you're afraid of your boy getting hurt, then maybe the sport isn't for you. My kid is one of the smallest on his team. He beats them with speed. He still takes his shots, but he learned a long time ago to get back up. It's part of the game.

Up until about 12, one year or even less equates to 'miles' of difference between kids and their abilities and athleticism, so the whole "what difference does it make" comments are very uniformed. Arguing about holdbacks from 13 yo and up is pretty much where that argument falls apart. That said, the sport should be age based, NOT grade based for obvious reasons, and USAL seems to be trying to move that way.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wait a second. You are stating that 80% of all the 2024 kids are hold backs? Thats nuts. My kid is on a town and travel team and none of the kids on his teams should be in 6th grade. His travel team does have 2 december birthdays, so I can give you those kids as "holdbacks" but that's it. 2 of 45 is not 80%

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Up until about 12, one year or even less equates to 'miles' of difference between kids and their abilities and athleticism, so the whole "what difference does it make" comments are very uniformed. Arguing about holdbacks from 13 yo and up is pretty much where that argument falls apart. That said, the sport should be age based, NOT grade based for obvious reasons, and USAL seems to be trying to move that way.

I agree with you 100%... difference between most 10 year olds & 9 year olds is very noticeable. Even within 10 year olds is a huge difference. A january birthday vs a september birthday is huge. Tougher to see differences between a 15 & 14 year old.

And USAL very much may want to move to an age based system vs grade based, but they don't have the muscle to pull it off. Until the clubs make the change, you'll continue to see teams build by grad year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]My kids have been playing travel lacrosse for years. My little guy is 10-yrs old. I am aware of certain towns that find it ok and part of the norm to hold back there kids for sports.But with this 2024 age group, I have noticed and inquired so (not making assumptions) on all of the top teams and in most cases up to and over 80% of the team is made up of kids that should be in 6th grade. So go ahead start the banter about if your kid is good enough he would make the team. Well...He did make the team! but I still find it ridiculous that we as parents and more important, the club owners find this ok

But we're not talking about a full year. We''re talking about 3 months, and in many cases, less. Also, since when does USAL have a day in anything??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with you 100%... difference between most 10 year olds & 9 year olds is very noticeable. Even within 10 year olds is a huge difference. A january birthday vs a september birthday is huge. Tougher to see differences between a 15 & 14 year old.

And USAL very much may want to move to an age based system vs grade based, but they don't have the muscle to pull it off. Until the clubs make the change, you'll continue to see teams build by grad year.

USAL has the muscle if they want to ue it - they can make it so the insurance coverage offered through membership is only valid if a league/tournament/etc plays in age based formats. USAL has already carved out exceptions to the age based ideal that cover areas where participation rates are lower, but LI and MD are not that!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If a holdback beats up on an age appropriate player so be it, but it will always be just that. An older kid playing a younger kid.
Life is unfair and so are youth sports. Get used to it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

USAL has the muscle if they want to ue it - they can make it so the insurance coverage offered through membership is only valid if a league/tournament/etc plays in age based formats. USAL has already carved out exceptions to the age based ideal that cover areas where participation rates are lower, but LI and MD are not that!

I'm so freaking tired of people coming on and complaining about holdbacks. Guess what?? There are kids that are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, have a higher lax IQ, etc... than your son. It will always be this way. Do you know why US Lax doesn't do anything about it??? Because it's youth lacrosse and it doesn't matter to anyone but you. That's the real reason. They have much more pressing concerns than your kid playing against someone that is, on average, 6 months older. This is all meaningless. The sooner you accept it, the easier your life will be! Just let it go.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Real mature. My point exactly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If USAL didn't care about it, and others didn't care about it, USAL wouldn't be expending the time and money to try and change to an age-based system. Perhaps you should refer to other more mature sports organizations that have evolved to this for the same reasons - first and foremost, it is about safety of the players; level competition is a secondary consideration. It is apathetic attitudes such as yours that prevent any organization from improving. Personally, one of my sons is a December b'day who could been in the grade below, then playing 'down' and dominating, but he plays on age with all his on age friends, and he is also big enough to play with the holdbacks that play down at his grade year - I've seen my son play down on a couple occaisions, and he looked like Rabil out there against that age group, but a middle of the road player in his on age team. That doesn't make it right, and I was under no illusions that he should be playing down just to achieve that false accomplishment. Before 8th grade, it matters a lot, and that is supported by most studies on athletes and maturity - you're entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts. There is enough diversity in size, strength, ability, etc, etc within a 12-month age band, yet you want to suggest that expanding that band as much as 24 months has no bearing, despite the studies that suggest otherwise? Seriously??!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spoken Like a parent who has held his kid back just for lax....All other youth sports have age requirements..so should Youth Lax! And when they do your bigger stronger faster hold back will have to sit the bench when playing a game fairly with boys his age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my son is 23 and was held back to play for Recon 2024

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with this post 100%. Nicely put! Thank you!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Same coversation over and over. This is the way it is. Is it fair no. Have your son play another sport. If he chooses to play this sport, deal with it. I don't mean to sound rude, but there isn't anything left to say on this. Its pretty simple deal with it or leave.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Recon unfortunatley has no 2024 team and never has ,but good try. Swing and a miss [lacrosse]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If USAL didn't care about it, and others didn't care about it, USAL wouldn't be expending the time and money to try and change to an age-based system. Perhaps you should refer to other more mature sports organizations that have evolved to this for the same reasons - first and foremost, it is about safety of the players; level competition is a secondary consideration. It is apathetic attitudes such as yours that prevent any organization from improving. Personally, one of my sons is a December b'day who could been in the grade below, then playing 'down' and dominating, but he plays on age with all his on age friends, and he is also big enough to play with the holdbacks that play down at his grade year - I've seen my son play down on a couple occaisions, and he looked like Rabil out there against that age group, but a middle of the road player in his on age team. That doesn't make it right, and I was under no illusions that he should be playing down just to achieve that false accomplishment. Before 8th grade, it matters a lot, and that is supported by most studies on athletes and maturity - you're entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts. There is enough diversity in size, strength, ability, etc, etc within a 12-month age band, yet you want to suggest that expanding that band as much as 24 months has no bearing, despite the studies that suggest otherwise? Seriously??!

Obviously you're concerned about your sons safety. I would suggest picking up your skirts from the dry cleaner and leaving one out for him. Pathetic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Real mature. My point exactly.

Go have a catch with your son and use your time wisely. Jealous little man

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You Are mistaken. It should and does matter. If there is no one governing the youth tournaments then they will and are becoming more dangerous and violent. I see it all the time. The coaches are recruiting older and older kids to participate.This IS done.so that they have more wins more wins equal more $. So as the hold backs are much more common then so does the playing down concept come into play.When does it stop.You Need to have a set rule for AGE not grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Recon unfortunatley has no 2024 team and never has ,but good try. Swing and a miss [lacrosse]

Your kid is a 23 and you had him play with the 2024s for team 24. We all saw it at JDRF last year, it was sad!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your kid is a 23 and you had him play with the 2024s for team 24. We all saw it at JDRF last year, it was sad!

Team 24 is playing tomorrow. Are they mostly hold backs like that?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn't worry about Team 24 this year. Their travel kids are committed to real travel teams this season and now they are basically Levittown PAL.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn't worry about Team 24 this year. Their travel kids are committed to real travel teams this season and now they are basically Levittown PAL.

Except for TAZ no 2024 team matters in this tournament. If the WP is not there to play them, its a cake walk for the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Except for TAZ no 2024 team matters in this tournament. If the WP is not there to play them, its a cake walk for the team.

Express mom this is your time to prove you have improved and can beat Taz.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously you're concerned about your sons safety. I would suggest picking up your skirts from the dry cleaner and leaving one out for him. Pathetic.

Nice try DB - my sons are both solid kids who also play football, so absolutely no worry there! But, as a youth coach, player safety is at the top of the list - therein lies the difference between actually running a league/sport/team versus the self-centered, ignorant, and uninformed parent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so much for express A being dominant- lost their first game of the year to BBL

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You got the wrong guy. I am defending Recon against this guy from 24 slandering Recons name claiming they cheat when Recon has never had a 2024 team.
We all know 24 used holdbacks at Viper , JDRF and SFS.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And only beat a first year club by 6 not a good showing so far. I am sure they will say BBL brought older kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
only by 6 goals? are you serious? that is the silliest thing i have ever heard. If your team could beat a team by 20 would you want that? or would you want your coach to show some class and move the ball and not rub it in anyone's face? just curious what type of jack [lacrosse] you are.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And only beat a first year club by 6 not a good showing so far. I am sure they will say BBL brought older kids.

Express beats taz

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who is BBL?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

& you're on here 15 minutes after the game ends talking [lacrosse] about 5th grade lacrosse. Get a life! Seriously wth is wrong with you?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Taz 10 Express 1
Taz 13 Express 0
Between the two Express Team they managed .5 of a goal.

Build Blocks Lax from NJ were very good. Taz won 8-2 in finals.

Page 9 of 91 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 90 91

Link Copied to Clipboard