BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,968
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 31 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is the first year that we didn't attend the LI I Showcase. Did it 3 years with my older son and only one year with my younger one. I believe that it is kind of set before it starts.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Wow, sounds like a bunch of jealous parents to me. I say congratulations to the kid and his family.

The rest of you need to get a grip and focus on your own kid and his/her deal...

Couldn't agree more. The problem is that many parents refuse to honestly evaluate their children. Many become bitter and jealous and spew venom and hate at other children. They do it on this site, they do it on the sideline and they do it around town. When another child is having more success than their child they look to tear that child down anyway they can. Its ugly.

If the kid scores a lot of goals the jealous parents will call the player a "Ball Hog".

If the kid makes an "All Star / Elite / Top Club" team the bitter parents will say its only because his/her Dad knows the coaches.

If the kid commits to a Top 5 or 10 college the jealous parent will say the player will never get on the field.

If the kid commits to Harvard the bitter jealous parent will say my son/daughter doesn't want to go to an Ivy League School.

If the kid commits to a Big D-I School the jealous parents will say we are focusing on academics and looking at D-III schools.

If a kid is being actively recruited by a number of top programs the bitter jealous parents will say we are looking at ABC and XYZ and we visited XXX even though their kid is not being recruited by those schools.

It's never ending, on our sideline this past spring we had parents counting out loud the number of turnovers a player had. We have parents chirping loudly "Pass The Ball" however I never heard those words when the Jealous bitter parents child had the ball. If it were not so sad it would be funny.

Couple all of the hate and venom spewed with all of the [lacrosse] Kissing many of these parents do and you have a cesspool of a sideline. Does not matter if it is school or club, the [lacrosse] kissers are there. They will kiss the [lacrosse] of the coach, Club Director, AD, Assistant Coach, Spouse of the coach, Sibling of the coach, friend of the coach, anyone who they think can help. Have you ever noticed how certain parents always have a reason to talk to or email the coach? Even the ones who are bitter on the sideline, they make sure they put on the happy face just before their nose hits the coaches [lacrosse]. Love it when I see a kid who does not get the hype from the club or school get recruited (by top college programs) over the favored ones. All the [lacrosse] kissing from parents and the misguided efforts of a bad coach will not stop the college coaches from identifying the top athletes.

It's a mess. Hope your club and or down is different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
best post ever

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think anyone really cares what other kids get as an offer from a school but to come on this site and brag about your son is getting 50%, and how disappointed you are it wasn't 75% than you open yourself up to ridicule. Any parent or player knows that with only 12.6 full scholarships per year, and a squad of 35 to40 kids, I would be surprised if any kid playing lacrosse in college gets anymore than 50% athletic. So don't come on this site and give young kids or parents an unrealistic outlook to what is the norm. If your kid DID actually get an offer that good in the 8th grade have some class don't brag about it, if your friends ask and you want to divulge that info than go ahead, but don't put it out on your own and then be offended with the comments that follow

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been reading this and there are 2 schools of thought.

If it truly is an 8th grader who got a look or a verbal he/she must be one of the top players in the country not just East Coast. You are not getting verbal to the "just Good" players in 8th grade.

If you got a verbal @ 50% and are in 8th grade, you are seriously bitching on here. Some may think I am crazy for saying this but yes college coaches know about this site. Why would you write that? You are in a small pool and can be figured out. Many of the better players who get those higher % get them with a combo and you said you still have that opportunity. unless you've gone through this with your older child and have established yourself (and your mannerisms) as a college parent in the stands; don't bite your nose to spite your face.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your all crazy, every sport that offers money has early recruiting...The only difference is that other sports continue to recruit kids that have already verballed, thus making the verbal meaningless. That is exactly what will happen in lax over time.

If you don't like the club scene, don't try out and play PAL. Stop telling us the world of pain clubs have caused and don't tell me what a mistake I made by having my 9th grader commit verbally.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is the wrong choice for me. open your mind and think--different strokes for different folks--not exactly the black plague.

My kid plays 2 different sport, because he loves to play, and yes, he also gets great grades. Football in football season, lax is pretty much all year round.

Having a great time with club teamates--if I am willing to spend the time and $, why do you care?

Sounds like a guilty conscience to me. Worrying did your child make an informed decision in 9th grade. Congrats you get to brag around the water cooler and on the summer circuit. Time will tell if you made the right choice. And speaking of "why do you care", why do you? Last I checked this board was anonymous.

For you specifically, I will say, no to the guilt part but yes, I have a little angst that my kid only got 50% scholarship for lax, we were praying for 75%. But on the bright side, if his grades stay where they are and he scores 1800 on sat, he will get 25% more for merit...

If your kid got 50% scholarship to go to any D1 school you should happy as a pig in sh*t. You kid must also be one of the best players on the east coast because 50 to 75% scholarships in lax don't really come around much considering each team only gets 13 full's per year. To give 50% to a 9th grader is unheard of unless he is they next Miles Thompson. Your kid is either a stud or your post is BS. Carry on.

I vote for BS

Another vote for BS ... 1800 at "top school" for academic merit HAHAHAHA ... So we have established that the scholarship amount is bogus and the "top school" is bogus and this poster is a fraud. No real problem with it, where's the harm EXCEPT ... Well-meaning parents who read this garbage end up with unrealistic expectations for their kids and the way scholarships/recruiting actually happens. So unless Mr/Mrs bragger wants to put a name to the school and more details to substantiate what sounds like a fairly tale, he/she should refrain from spewing such nonsense for the sake of the other kids and families ...

First off they can only talk about how much they will be offering you kid but he will not get a real offer "written" until his junior year. So the 50% lax scholarship is only as good as the paper it is written on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ditto that...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think anyone really cares what other kids get as an offer from a school but to come on this site and brag about your son is getting 50%, and how disappointed you are it wasn't 75% than you open yourself up to ridicule. Any parent or player knows that with only 12.6 full scholarships per year, and a squad of 35 to40 kids, I would be surprised if any kid playing lacrosse in college gets anymore than 50% athletic. So don't come on this site and give young kids or parents an unrealistic outlook to what is the norm. If your kid DID actually get an offer that good in the 8th grade have some class don't brag about it, if your friends ask and you want to divulge that info than go ahead, but don't put it out on your own and then be offended with the comments that follow

Please, you really have no clue how this works. I know several that got 50%-yes they are studs.

Also know several that are getting nothing but a spot.

Again, best of luck to that kid and his family. If they were lying, they would have said full ride as has been said on this site many times. The person sounded pretty truthful to me and if it was fluff, I really don't care. It is an anonymous site and I suspect the people that are screaming, like the one above, didn't get a good deal and therefore can't fathom how anyone else did...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been reading this and there are 2 schools of thought.

If it truly is an 8th grader who got a look or a verbal he/she must be one of the top players in the country not just East Coast. You are not getting verbal to the "just Good" players in 8th grade.

If you got a verbal @ 50% and are in 8th grade, you are seriously bitching on here. Some may think I am crazy for saying this but yes college coaches know about this site. Why would you write that? You are in a small pool and can be figured out. Many of the better players who get those higher % get them with a combo and you said you still have that opportunity. unless you've gone through this with your older child and have established yourself (and your mannerisms) as a college parent in the stands; don't bite your nose to spite your face.

You really need to learn how to read...take the time to get your facts straight...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please, you really have no clue how this works. I know several that got 50%-yes they are studs.

Also know several that are getting nothing but a spot.

Again, best of luck to that kid and his family. If they were lying, they would have said full ride as has been said on this site many times. The person sounded pretty truthful to me and if it was fluff, I really don't care. It is an anonymous site and I suspect the people that are screaming, like the one above, didn't get a good deal and therefore can't fathom how anyone else did...

My kid just got offered full rides to several D1 schools. He did not even play till till 9th grade when the lax coach saw him working out with the track and field team as a pole vaulter. He asked him to come down and play and is revolutionizing the game, he plays a brand new position LSA. Yup. Long Stick Attackmen. He runs from X, poll vaults up and over cage, catches the ball as he go over and slams it it in before landing outside the crease. They even included a free meal plan. Dont be a hater

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does the Long Stick Attackman go to St Anthonys? If so, it's probably not too late for Chanenchuk to put him on the Long Island Under Armour team. LOL!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There's an idiot so wasted a post with his son being a long stick attackman. his son is probably king of Nintendo

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh no! Not a wasted post! Call the lacrosse police. A serious crime has been committed. Oh and by the way, most of the nonsense posted here is a total waste.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
Oh no! Not a wasted post! Call the lacrosse police. A serious crime has been committed. Oh and by the way, most of the nonsense posted here is a total waste.

Your post is a great example. Thanks for illustrating.

Also thanks for the total waste you post on other threads like the Outlaws thread. Your a waste master!

Last edited by The Hop; .

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By the way Hop, it's you're not your.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I posted something positive about coach Lough and the outlaws and wished them luck because I like their program. I didn't think I said anything wrong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what about when HS coaches use their school fields for their travel for profit programs? This isn't college where part of the coaches compensation is through the use of school facilities to run camps and clinics. This is HS coaches using tax payer funded fields for a private business

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what about when HS coaches use their school fields for their travel for profit programs? This isn't college where part of the coaches compensation is through the use of school facilities to run camps and clinics. This is HS coaches using tax payer funded fields for a private business

What about when a school district doesn't let a group of kids from the district use the fields. How bad is that one. id rather have someone use them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mentioned Sachem north once before does that..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thats actually against the law in NYS. Thats why many of these clubs incorporate as non-for profit

Like Reply Quote
User
User
I posted something positive about coach Lough and the outlaws and wished them luck because I like their program. I didn't think I said anything wrong.

Wasn't referring to you. Just the jack off that trolls the Outlaws thread.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
By the way Hop, it's you're not your.

By the way B woody. Good luck posting.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh ok sorry Hop. Tough to see who's talking to who on here sometimes. Lol

Like Reply Quote
User
User
Oh ok sorry Hop. Tough to see who's talking to who on here sometimes. Lol

No problem. When I refer to a specific post it will be in a box above like yours is.
You can do the same by clicking "quote" and scrolling to the bottom past the [quote]. Then begin your response.

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by The Hop
[quote=Anonymous]Oh ok sorry Hop. Tough to see who's talking to who on here sometimes. Lol

No problem. When I refer to a specific post it will be in a box above like yours is.
You can do the same by clicking "quote" and scrolling to the bottom past the
. Then begin your response.
like this? lol.

Like Reply Quote
User
User
Originally Posted by The Hop
[quote=Anonymous]Oh ok sorry Hop. Tough to see who's talking to who on here sometimes. Lol

You can do the same by clicking "quote" and scrolling to the bottom past the
. Then begin your response.
like this? lol.

Yep

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, sounds like a bunch of jealous parents to me. I say congratulations to the kid and his family.

The rest of you need to get a grip and focus on your own kid and his/her deal...

Couldn't agree more. The problem is that many parents refuse to honestly evaluate their children. Many become bitter and jealous and spew venom and hate at other children. They do it on this site, they do it on the sideline and they do it around town. When another child is having more success than their child they look to tear that child down anyway they can. Its ugly.

If the kid scores a lot of goals the jealous parents will call the player a "Ball Hog".

If the kid makes an "All Star / Elite / Top Club" team the bitter parents will say its only because his/her Dad knows the coaches.

If the kid commits to a Top 5 or 10 college the jealous parent will say the player will never get on the field.

If the kid commits to Harvard the bitter jealous parent will say my son/daughter doesn't want to go to an Ivy League School.

If the kid commits to a Big D-I School the jealous parents will say we are focusing on academics and looking at D-III schools.

If a kid is being actively recruited by a number of top programs the bitter jealous parents will say we are looking at ABC and XYZ and we visited XXX even though their kid is not being recruited by those schools.

It's never ending, on our sideline this past spring we had parents counting out loud the number of turnovers a player had. We have parents chirping loudly "Pass The Ball" however I never heard those words when the Jealous bitter parents child had the ball. If it were not so sad it would be funny.

Couple all of the hate and venom spewed with all of the [lacrosse] Kissing many of these parents do and you have a cesspool of a sideline. Does not matter if it is school or club, the [lacrosse] kissers are there. They will kiss the [lacrosse] of the coach, Club Director, AD, Assistant Coach, Spouse of the coach, Sibling of the coach, friend of the coach, anyone who they think can help. Have you ever noticed how certain parents always have a reason to talk to or email the coach? Even the ones who are bitter on the sideline, they make sure they put on the happy face just before their nose hits the coaches [lacrosse]. Love it when I see a kid who does not get the hype from the club or school get recruited (by top college programs) over the favored ones. All the [lacrosse] kissing from parents and the misguided efforts of a bad coach will not stop the college coaches from identifying the top athletes.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this site. All so true. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Guess what it continues once your kid goes to the next level....:)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow thank you so much for posting that. As a lacrosse and football coach I've recently within the last three years stepped back into the coaching ranks after a long hiatus and I am shocked to see how much it's changed. the parents these days are the absolute worst. I'm not going to repeat everything you said but the jealousy is huge in lacrosse amongst parents. it's horrible. and your ball hog remark is on point one hundred percent. where I came from the parents stuck together. they rooted for the team good bad or indifferent. they encouraged the players and allowed the coach to coach their boys without interfering. they rooted for the boy who scored a lot because he helped the team succeed. they'd turn to his parents in the stands and say "man, your son is some player." now you don't get that anymore. it's not about the team it's about my son or my daughter and the coach is terrible. and these club lacrosse teams are creating this poison because the amount of money involved. Sir, again I want to thank you for posting that. I don't even want to read the rebuttal I guarantee some parent is going to post.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this site. All so true. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Guess what it continues once your kid goes to the next level....:)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Forgot back stabbing malicious untrue rumor spreading to coach by vindictive manipulative kissing jealous parent.

Shame on any coach who does not see through all the kissing BS.

Last edited by The Hop; . Reason: Language
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good post, you want to see drama? Have a kid show up with their summer travel gear AND NOT BE A STARTER for the HS while the coach starts some non travel but great lax athlete. Those parents are uncontrollable!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have read here several times that HS coaches are prohibited from coaching a team with more than 4-5 players from their HS during the offseason (or something similar). Also reference was made just recently to the prohibition against HS coaches using HS/public fields for their club teams. I am in a situation where the coach has informed the HS players that they won't play on varsity unless they play in the HS Coach's club team or at least attend certain tournaments with the HS Coach's club team. Can anyone point to the specific regulations/laws or point me in the right direction? I have looked but have not been able to find anything. Thanks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have read here several times that HS coaches are prohibited from coaching a team with more than 4-5 players from their HS during the offseason (or something similar). Also reference was made just recently to the prohibition against HS coaches using HS/public fields for their club teams. I am in a situation where the coach has informed the HS players that they won't play on varsity unless they play in the HS Coach's club team or at least attend certain tournaments with the HS Coach's club team. Can anyone point to the specific regulations/laws or point me in the right direction? I have looked but have not been able to find anything. Thanks

Many years ago a coach could not be with his kids during the off-season. A dad used to coach my summer and winter lax teams. That however, is not the case anymore. Also, with the use of fields, a coach simply has to fill out a form to use the fields of the high school or other district fields Anyone can fill out the form and then the AD approves it. Here are the section XI rules on off-season practices. Basically, you can't put it in writing that off-season is mandatory. You can just "highly suggest".

VII. Out of Season Practice Policy
On May 24, 2000, the Section XI Athletic Council eliminated the Section XI Out of Season Practice Policy (sometimes referred to as the 49% rule) entirely!

Understand, however, that this action does not necessarily make practicing out of season OK. Schools are still bound by the NYSPHSAA regulations. They are:

NYSPHSAA REGULATION - PRACTICE SESSIONS:
a. An organized practice in grades 7-12 is a session for the purpose of providing instruction and practice in physical conditioning activities, skills, team play, and game strategy designed expressly for that sport under the supervision of a qualified coach appointed by the Board of Education of the local school district. Such instruction and practice shall be held only during the season designated for that sport.
c. School sponsored activities conducted out of the sport season such as general conditioning, weight training, weight lifting, intramurals, recreation, open gyms, club activities and camps are permitted: 1. If such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel; 2. If such programs are available to all students.
d. Non-school sponsored activities are permitted if such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel. It is recommended that no school equipment be used for these programs as per State Comptroller Opinion 85-37.

Rev 5/11

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you! Seems pretty clear.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info (not quoting because it's so big). Did you delete item b. or was that a typo on their part?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info (not quoting because it's so big). Did you delete item b. or was that a typo on their part?

Typo

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All coaches hide behind "C". recreational, intramural etc etc...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which suffolk county school does this!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why is the AD and super allowing this.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many years ago a coach could not be with his kids during the off-season. A dad used to coach my summer and winter lax teams. That however, is not the case anymore. Also, with the use of fields, a coach simply has to fill out a form to use the fields of the high school or other district fields Anyone can fill out the form and then the AD approves it. Here are the section XI rules on off-season practices. Basically, you can't put it in writing that off-season is mandatory. You can just "highly suggest".

VII. Out of Season Practice Policy
On May 24, 2000, the Section XI Athletic Council eliminated the Section XI Out of Season Practice Policy (sometimes referred to as the 49% rule) entirely!

Understand, however, that this action does not necessarily make practicing out of season OK. Schools are still bound by the NYSPHSAA regulations. They are:

NYSPHSAA REGULATION - PRACTICE SESSIONS:
a. An organized practice in grades 7-12 is a session for the purpose of providing instruction and practice in physical conditioning activities, skills, team play, and game strategy designed expressly for that sport under the supervision of a qualified coach appointed by the Board of Education of the local school district. Such instruction and practice shall be held only during the season designated for that sport.
c. School sponsored activities conducted out of the sport season such as general conditioning, weight training, weight lifting, intramurals, recreation, open gyms, club activities and camps are permitted: 1. If such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel; 2. If such programs are available to all students.
d. Non-school sponsored activities are permitted if such programs are not mandated by coaches or school personnel. It is recommended that no school equipment be used for these programs as per State Comptroller Opinion 85-37.

Rev 5/11

This is very helpful and enlightening. What, then, is the difference between a math teacher not being able to tutor/give extra help to one of their students for money and a coach running a summer sports program (which is now all year) in which their players pay money for? I don't think their is a difference yet the coach is allowed to take money from their players and the math teacher can't do the same with his/her student. He conflicts are the same.

Like Reply Quote
Page 23 of 31 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard