Originally Posted by 429lax
Originally Posted by CageSage
Two newly announced sophomore signings follow.

Sean Cerrone (Chaminade High School)
Position: Midfielder
College choice: Villanova University
Club affiliation: Long Island Express
Lacrosse Camps attended: Jake Reed’s Blue Chip, Top 205, U-15 Nationals.

Jordan Walter (Cold Spring Harbor)
Position: Midfield
College Choice: Notre Dame
Club Affiliation: For the Love of the Game
Major lacrosse Honors: Philly Showcase Gait All-Star team. Invited to Nike Blue Chip and Maverik showcase. Member of the Brine National Lacrosse Classic Long Island team.

I don't understand why sophomore commitments are being posted. I also don't understand how a sophomore is mature enough to make such a commitment. Seems the NCAA feels the same way, hence the recruiting rules.

I do understand the excitement and pride these players feel and deservedly so. I just think this adds unnecessary pressure to an already intense decision. I think the College Coaches have the responsibility to come up with a better way of acknowledging their interest in a player. Instead of "VERBAL COMMITMENT" maybe they should say "mutual interest". I bet George Carlin could have written a great bit on this.

I pretty much agree. I can't say I'd be comfortable with my 10th grader commiting to much of anything. Yes, it's nice to be wanted and certainly nice to get rid of the stress of deciding, but still. It's a big decision with two years before fulfillment, lots of things change in a teen's life in two years.

Not to take the huzzahs away from the kids who do commit early, congrat to them and their parents.