Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Basically, they make no promises.

& why should they

They shouldn't (or needn't, I guess; what they should do depends on your perspective). Which is why my advice (multiple kids on different teams plus what I've seen and heard over 10+ yrs) is "buyer beware" for any parents that jump ship when the top teams come to poach your kid. Yes they want to bolster their rosters. But they also want to decimate the competition's rosters.

Situation A: Your kid is a star, gets major minutes on a rising team and allows rising team to compete at a fall tournament against Top 3 team (maybe not beat them but comes close). Rising team proceeds to do well in Fall and summer, and Top 3 feels the footsteps. So they try and poach. You say no, rising team stays together for 5 years and your kid and the team do great in A brackets at good tournaments. College recruiters get to see them shine, kid has a great time.

Situation B: Your kid is a star, gets major minutes on a rising team and allows rising team to compete at a fall tournament against Top 3 (maybe not beat them but comes close). Rising team proceeds to do well in Fall and summer, and Top 3 feels the footsteps. So they try and poach. You say yes, rising team takes a step back...but on Top 3 team your kid is one of 15 with similar skills, the other girls gel together better, and your kid gets only a few minutes a game. Some college looks but maybe not as much PT and not as much fun.

Top 3 teams always win in Situation B. Worst case scenario they stole a major chip from a competitor, and get more depth. Player not always--with big downside risk.