BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,818
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 59 of 81 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 80 81
Re: Welcome Philadelphia & Vicinity
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
De
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Was at the Duke's '29 tryout. Kids wore their own pinnies. I don't understand the issue with kids bringing their own pinnies. NXT charged $50 and you get a nice pinny. Duke's charged $20 and I don't get another piece of laundry that my kid doesn't need (I don't know about anyone else, but I could start my own pinny supply store). Not judging, just my take on it.

With regards to the talent, a little dip in talent from the first tryout at Duke's, but still some real quality players there. Probably 6 or 7 kids with NXT pinnies, a few from Brotherly Love, Fusion, Mesa, True Philly and others I didn't recognize to identify, but largely Duke's pinnies on hand.

Was at both NXT and both Duke's tryouts. So a little comparison that no one asked for here. Assuming both teams get their top 16-22 kids (big assumption here), the teams would be very comparable/competitive. After that though, the 2nd tier level of talent definitely falls in NXTs favor. Just based off of 2 nights of practice at each place, I'd see it this way: Goalie is a push, Duke's with the better d-pole talent as well as LSM, Faceoff goes to NXT, NXT has a better attack, but not by much, midfield is a push (maybe a slight, razor thin, edge to NXT). I can't say anything about any other clubs in the region, but I like parity, so it should be an interesting year for Philly Lacrosse if the talent level looks like this at other club tryouts.

Def interesting, thanks for the insight. Has anyone here been on an NXT team? How are they with playing time allocation?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This predication did not age well. Lots of Mesa kids (including key players) at the Team TEN 2027 tryouts last night. What is going on at Mesa?

Stinks for Team Ten players to have their tryouts so late that it hinders their ability to tryout with other teams if they are cut from last years roster. It is a business and the teams only care about putting the best team they can so it is always best to tryout at multiple places.[/quote]

facts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mesa is a poorly run organization that tries to sell itself based on past glory during the years when Nostrant coached at Haverford and all his players had to play for Mesa. It is unnecessarily expensive based on what a player gets for his roster fees. There is no thoughtful development path once a kid gets to high school. Great coaches who have no independence to do what they think is best for their players re: practice schedule, tournaments, etc. Mesa may be able to play in the NLF but that is about the only good perk the organization has.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mesa is a poorly run organization that tries to sell itself based on past glory during the years when Nostrant coached at Haverford and all his players had to play for Mesa. It is unnecessarily expensive based on what a player gets for his roster fees. There is no thoughtful development path once a kid gets to high school. Great coaches who have no independence to do what they think is best for their players re: practice schedule, tournaments, etc. Mesa may be able to play in the NLF but that is about the only good perk the organization has.

says the person who ran two good high school programs into the ground and trying to steal mesa players, got it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

says the person who ran two good high school programs into the ground and trying to steal mesa players, got it

How do you steal Mesa players if they are happy at Mesa? That would seem tough to do.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Players aren’t commodities and can’t be stolen. Players and family, using free will, evaluate their options and choose what makes most sense for them and which organization will best support their long term goals. Perhaps Mesa needs to take a hard look at it’s organization and try to understand why players are leaving or choosing not to come instead of crying about “stolen” players. That is just common sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So who will have the biggest change at the 2027 level now? Brotherly love or Mesa?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How do you steal Mesa players if they are happy at Mesa? That would seem tough to do.

You could replace "Mesa" with ANY club team name. All lacrosse clubs are expensive. Please tell me a club that actually "develops" players in the true sense of the word. There is a reason why club coaches are club coaches and not club directors. They don't want to deal with the hassle of managing every aspect of the team (else they'd just start their own club and do it and rack in tons of cash).
I do not have any association whatsoever with Mesa. Their teams just continually kill my teams and they are clearly very talented. I'll attribute that talent to the kids that gathered there rather than some Bill Belichick wizard pulling the strings from the sidelines. Club Lacrosse is a different game than High School Lacrosse. Checkers vs Chess. Whoever has the biggest horses is going to win 95% of the games. End of Rant. Please tip your waiters. Good Night.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So who will have the biggest change at the 2027 level now? Brotherly love or Mesa?

Watch out for Team Deez Nuts making moves

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You could replace "Mesa" with ANY club team name. All lacrosse clubs are expensive. Please tell me a club that actually "develops" players in the true sense of the word. There is a reason why club coaches are club coaches and not club directors. They don't want to deal with the hassle of managing every aspect of the team (else they'd just start their own club and do it and rack in tons of cash).
I do not have any association whatsoever with Mesa. Their teams just continually kill my teams and they are clearly very talented. I'll attribute that talent to the kids that gathered there rather than some Bill Belichick wizard pulling the strings from the sidelines. Club Lacrosse is a different game than High School Lacrosse. Checkers vs Chess. Whoever has the biggest horses is going to win 95% of the games. End of Rant. Please tip your waiters. Good Night.

Just to understand your analogy...are you saying that club lacrosse is simply a compilation of good players that create an all star team (that is why they win) vs. high school lacrosse is more about coaching and developing players to play a "team" game?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Watch out for Team Deez Nuts making moves

The only coach in the area qualified to coach a team of Deez Nuts caliber would have to be GT-C…he loves nuts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With tryouts pretty much completed this week what are predictions for the top teams at the 27 28 and 29 ages?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2027 - Team Ten, Brotherly Love… large gap then NXT/Freedom, mesa (If anyone is left)
2028 -Freedom (reclass central!), dukes
2029 - Dukes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With tryouts pretty much completed this week what are predictions for the top teams at the 27 28 and 29 ages?

Poll's aren't closed yet. We have HHH and Black Bear with tryouts coming up for these age brackets. I'm hearing good numbers expected for one of them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2027 - Team Ten, Brotherly Love… large gap then NXT/Freedom, mesa (If anyone is left)
2029 - Dukes

Not sure what to make of Fusion Futures 2029. Supposedly some of NXTs top kids jumped there because of some agreement with Nationals Lacrosse club joining them or something. All very confusing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2029 - Dukes

Not sure what to make of Fusion Futures 2029. Supposedly some of NXTs top kids jumped there because of some agreement with Nationals Lacrosse club joining them or something. All very confusing.

oh interesting. Anybody got some more deets on that?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2029 - Dukes

oh interesting. Anybody got some more deets on that?

From what I'm hearing from kids on NXT 2029 only a couple kids left and they gained a kid or 2 from Dukes. Fusion 2029 and 2030 teams aren't that good and lost alot of their top players. I wouldn't put too much stock into Fusion Futures 2029 and Nationals partnership as this is the first year they're doing something like this. I can see it being difficult splitting teams or picking kids. Seems like it could be a messgo.Good chance the kids will get frustrated and jump ship. But who knows

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Poll's aren't closed yet. We have HHH and Black Bear with tryouts coming up for these age brackets. I'm hearing good numbers expected for one of them.

Watch out for Roughrider 2034 going to be cooking teams

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roughriders play in terrible tournaments or B bracket of others and still lose consistently. They will cook nothing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True bought BucksSelect

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True bought BucksSelect

I’m sorry for those parents

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True bought BucksSelect
Read the article. Are they just going to have a true Philly A/B structure or is this going to be True Bucks?

Hope it works out well for those families.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roughriders play in terrible tournaments or B bracket of others and still lose consistently. They will cook nothing.

^^cook deez lost^^^^

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Article makes it sound like combining and A/B structure vs True Philly and True Bucks, but doesn’t say directly either way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^^cook deez lost^^^^

Are you ok?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reads to me like it's going under the True Philly banner.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

daddy makes up baloney and tells parents a fake story that is one way

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does any of this really matter? Mesa is irrelevant. Freedom, HHH, Duke’s, Team Ten control the state

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So much wrong with the last post I have decided to not even address any of it.

Maryland forum is really hot True. Hopefully the Philly affiliate is run better than what apparently is happening down in MD. Would love to hear what the True Philly families heard regarding the addition of Bucks Select to the brand. Anybody willing to share?

Any thoughts on who the biggest winners this year at tryouts were? Any big losers?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True Philly has some excellent coaching, as did Bucks. The problem is people’s perception of clubs and the constant club hopping which makes it difficult to really build a team. There is a fixation on and belief that certain clubs are great such as HHH or Dukes, when in reality, the coaching is minimal, there is clear favoritism towards certain private schools. Kids and parents continue to flock to these programs without ever objectively looking at what they are getting for their money and as teams get older these clubs have their pick of the best players from a 2-3 hr radius. The positive bias towards players from certain schools and clubs, which typically correlates directly with wealth, is absurd. There are so many fantastic athletes and players who are overlooked and not coached because they don’t have the right “name”. If you actually want your kid to learn good fundamental lacrosse and get a legitimate product for your money, True Philly is a great option.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don’t bring money/income into the discussion, it’s tacky. Duke’s and HHH are successful because they’ve been around; while far from perfect, they have had success through tournaments and w recruits going to top schools.
The challenge for True is/always will be reputation. They have to prove they can compete successfully and do so for long enough to gain that reputation. It won’t happen overnight

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True Philly has some excellent coaching, as did Bucks. The problem is people’s perception of clubs and the constant club hopping which makes it difficult to really build a team. There is a fixation on and belief that certain clubs are great such as HHH or Dukes, when in reality, the coaching is minimal, there is clear favoritism towards certain private schools. Kids and parents continue to flock to these programs without ever objectively looking at what they are getting for their money and as teams get older these clubs have their pick of the best players from a 2-3 hr radius. The positive bias towards players from certain schools and clubs, which typically correlates directly with wealth, is absurd. There are so many fantastic athletes and players who are overlooked and not coached because they don’t have the right “name”. If you actually want your kid to learn good fundamental lacrosse and get a legitimate product for your money, True Philly is a great option.

What is correct here is that club lacrosse is not about coaching players up (at least in PA). One practice a week during fall and summer doesn’t leave a lot of time for that sort of dynamic. It’s about collecting the big guns and going to tourneys to get film. Nobody gets coached. That is for Rec and school teams where practice is daily.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What is correct here is that club lacrosse is not about coaching players up (at least in PA). One practice a week during fall and summer doesn’t leave a lot of time for that sort of dynamic. It’s about collecting the big guns and going to tourneys to get film. Nobody gets coached. That is for Rec and school teams where practice is daily.

While I think club helps develop the skills needed at the college level, it does create a poor lacrosse IQ compared to lacrosse played at the HS level. No penalties, hero ball, and almost no coaching create a "Lord of the Flies" scenario on the field.

Who thought they were going to get a Lord of the Flies reference on this forum?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Under Armour All America Game is fantastic.....Philly really showed how much talent it has regionally as all the teams were very successful My only gripe is almost every kid on the team is a "hold back". So glad this is all going to end.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure I understand what’s tacky about stating the facts about the influence of wealth in this sport. The growing wealth inequity in this country is doing so much damage and when you see an awesome sport that could benefit so many kids and has so much to offer being governed by wealth it is disheartening. Somehow I believed that sports could still be a bastion of meritocracy and the hardest workers would be rewarded. I now realize how naive that was. It would be refreshing though if people would just acknowledge and speak openly of the advantages of wealth. The other sad fact is that it doesn’t have to be this way, yet the people currently benefitting will do everything they can to keep out others and minimize competition.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are clubs, programs and training for kids of every socioeconomic background, if you’re willing to search for it.
The Duke’s is not only one of the most cost-effective programs, it’s also one of the most diverse.
Work hard, achieve success in the classroom and good things will follow.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are clubs, programs and training for kids of every socioeconomic background, if you’re willing to search for it.
The Duke’s is not only one of the most cost-effective programs, it’s also one of the most diverse.

This is for real and if you ask club directors they can also direct you to some generous people that offer scholarships.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoa, are you saying 3rd parties pay club scholarships at Duke’s? That is totally amazing! I just assumed the organization just didn’t charge the player’s family.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is for real and if you ask club directors they can also direct you to some generous people that offer scholarships.

Are any of these travel clubs "non-profits"? Why would anyone donate to a for profit business?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are you that obtuse? Do you only buy clothes from non-profits? Just because a company/business tries to generate profits, doesn’t make it inherently bad…smh
Just stay on the left and let the sport continue to grow, please?! TY

Like Reply Quote
Page 59 of 81 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 80 81
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard