Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree with your assessment. However, my kid is an exceptional student (also is a John's Hopkins Center for Talented Youth) kid. And we are not worried about getting a scholarship. We are blessed and college is fully funded.

We simply don't have any private schools near where we live. Our public school is excellent academically and is a sports powerhouse for sports outside of lacrosse.

Academics come first but I don't want to hold my kid back. We could send him to boarding school but I detest the idea of losing time with him for these last few years.

The "National Teams" product was made for you honestly. Honestly the national club directors prefer to have non-I-95 corridor players and families because those families scrutinize the national team product. Families with great players from TX, CO, CA tend to be much more grateful about the opportunity and platform, because what else are they gonna do, honestly?

In terms of academics/finances/options, I would advise you to focus on the "broken leg test." Where does your son really want to be, lax or no lax? He should work on his list of schools asap. D1, D2 and beyond.

As to your club team:
1) It sounds like the 1st and 2nd line players on your club team are getting D1 offers. Is your son 1st line or 2nd line? If 3rd line, there's a big clue about where this is headed.
2) 17 D1 per year is very good, the club probably has some notariety and I hope your son has a good relationship with his coaches - this is probably the most important thing for him in terms of getting good advice and recommendations. Unless he's a starter, he won't be the first one mentioned by the coach if a college coach asks them "who's your best Lefty middie?" However if your son tells his club coach, "Hey if Holy Cross or Richmond calls or you know anybody there, please tell them I would love to play for them, those are my top 2 academic schools and i love their lax program too."