Originally Posted by Anonymous
Op here. Thanks for the excellent analysis. I am skeptical that my son would make varsity his freshman year. He’s athletic and skilled but my understanding is that the varsity rarely takes more than 1 or 2 freshmen. I think he’ll have a real shot making the team as a Sophomore (I know a bunch of the current varsity families and he compares favorably). My concern is that if this summer is his last club summer- do the kids playing club pass him by when he’s a sophomore. On the other hand, it seems a waste to make the investment in club and give up opportunities for him to go to camps or even (godwilling) get a job if we’re not all in for college lax. Again t truely appreciate the responses

Great question and topic. I've had a few kids go thru the club and HS circuit in MIAA and IAAM. I assume that your son will attending one the MIAA A teams. If not it would change the equation. My oldest lines up close to what you've described. He was a contributor but not star on the JV his freshman year. He made varsity as a soph but rarely played. Junior year he played more but time was inconsistent. Solid contributor as a senior. He was lucky to be on be a club team with great coaches, kids and parents. He couldn't wait for the summer season because he was a first line player and on the field when game was close etc. It was a good club team but not "elite". they played mostly June events. Most of the boys will be getting these summer reps and definitely helped helped him make teams and earn PT So unless he's going to be working on his game independently it will be hard to keep up with boys that are "all-in" . If you're ok with financial and time investment on your part, club lacrosse is your best bet. He had jobs and went to beach in summers too. Ultimately he played MCLA club and had a blast. Good luck and enjoy the ride