Originally Posted by Anonymous
I can't imagine what kind of HS experience a kid would have, senior girls would not date a freshman, freshman dads won't let their daughters date an 18 year old. By senior year a kid held back that much will be able to by booze, etc., and he will be more emotionally developed than his classmates.

Does this happen in the sports where there is an actual pro-sport outcome with multi-million contracts after college?

I know hockey players wait a few years after HS, play junior league then go to college, that system makes more sense academically and socially, finish HS in the correct year and take some classes at the CC so you can have a lighter course load when you start college.

I wonder if it would occur to top coaches to suggest a different path to kids who are reclassifying or being encouraged to. When you reclassify in 8th or 9th grade it almost always means a transfer into a private HS. That's an extra tuition bill year or many. Why wouldn't NCAA coaches say I will give you a four year scholarship, but I want you on campus to do a red shirt year at your parent's expense. The kid would get a lot more out of it socially, lacrosse and get ahead a bit on academics to make the load less over five years. The really good lacrosse players aren't really being pushed as well to spend that last year in HS as a 19 year old or older.