Originally Posted by Anonymous
It’s ironic that the best club teams have the most holdbacks
Well that’s not fair that team is a “National Team “ well your team has 8 holdbacks , kids that should be playing a year sometimes 2 years up ..that’s fair Just so confused , this should be a simple conversation, soccer even got it right !
Let’s look ..top 5 2026 teams..no order so relax

Laxacusetts
Team 91
Express
Team 10
Sweetlax

There are a minimum of 5 kids on each some have 10 that are playing Down .you don’t think the D1 coaches know this ..embarrassing .

Coaches absolutely know it and prefer it. I can’t believe we’re still talking about holdbacks for 10th graders. And no my kid is not a holdback but he is on varsity playing against and with older kids.

Coaches would also like your kid on steroids. You going to give it to your kid? Be the adult. Holdbacks are terrible for sports. It’s a selfish decision and it is cheating.

-It isn't cheating if it is allowed.
-The average hockey D1 freshman is over 20 years old.
-College coaches don't care and almost prefer an older, more developed player..
-For the record Express has 2 holdbacks and 91 3.
-Most of the holdbacks go to private/prep schools. They are competing with yours and my kids for college spots. It's reality.
-It makes your kid better and more prepared for varsity/college at this age/level.
-I assume your kid isn't on one of these top teams. If he was, you wouldn't care about reclasses because the coaches are there to watch them, hence also watching my son.
-They are now using age verification at lower ages, which is meant to make it safer for developing kids. As a 2026, if your kid is already playing varsity (which all public school kids on the teams above are) playing against a kid a year older isn't a thing.