BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,830
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 40 of 83 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 82 83
Re: Girls Spring 2014 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The kids that wear their travel team logo wear everywhere and parents who suck up usually get the first invitations to take the test. Its the mini FAF at the school level. Don't sound surprised that the coach sought you out. I am sure that you dropped your hints

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do tell what school, im sure its not farmingdale, garden city, wantagh, manhassett, bayshore or any other top program

District is irrelevant. However, it is not one of the bigger schools. I am sure it happens more with the smaller and probably does not happen at the bigger schools where there is less need for players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The kids that wear their travel team logo wear everywhere and parents who suck up usually get the first invitations to take the test. Its the mini FAF at the school level. Don't sound surprised that the coach sought you out. I am sure that you dropped your hints

Prior to him introducing himself to us and asking us about the test, I have never spoken to the guy. So, no there was no "sucking" up happening.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what a f'n whiner. The big schools do it. Guess your just not in the know. A few of those schools mentions did it. If you don't know which, I am sorry, guess your not as knowledgeable as you think.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what a f'n whiner. The big schools do it. Guess your just not in the know. A few of those schools mentions did it. If you don't know which, I am sorry, guess your not as knowledgeable as you think.

Thanks YJ mom who spends way too much time "knowing" what other kids are doing in other districts than worrying about her own kid.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks YJ mom who spends way too much time "knowing" what other kids are doing in other districts than worrying about her own kid.

Not sure if it a YJ mom, but the person called you out directly dispelling what you claimed. And that's your comeback? WEAK.....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not a few, 1 Wantaugh, thats it out of the mentioned schools

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

West Islip has in the past but not always taken one 8th grader up from each MS to JV. 7th grade is not even an option nor should it be.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There was 1 for wantaugh another for bayshore which makes a couple.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your reply doesn't make sense. If they are not letting the kid take the test then why would they have been sucking up? Suck up, get invited to take the test and then say no, that doesn't seem like the best plan.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There was 1 for wantaugh another for bayshore which makes a couple.
Bayshore no longer amongst the best teams, Graduated all there best players, no goalie,and bad coaching, taking m.s. kids because they have to not because any one kid is that good, Wantaugh will soon be in the same place. G.C. , 'Set, W.M., F-dale, N-port, the true traditional powerhouses almost never do

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wantagh did not have any middle school kids on varsity

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
goalie came up in 8th grade

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would make the argument that the bigger, better schools are a more ideal situation for pulling up a kid. If they are pulling a kid up, it is likely that the player is very strong even compared to the current roster of what you would call a powerhouSe program. If a weak program pulls a kid up because they are better than a few of the weak players that she can outplay, that is not an indication the kid is ready to play at that level. It should be a rare occurrence in any case, not a yearly thing much less multiple kids on a yearly basis. I think this thread started out talking about several kids that the parents were complaining should be moved up, doesn't sound like a good idea.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two reasons for call ups, the really deserving kid and then the programs that need to fill JV because they need head count. The 2nd is an issue because in many instances the kids cant hold their own but they can hold a stick. Its really just about varsity

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What year did this happen at Wantagh??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
goalie came up in 8th grade

What Wantagh Goalie came up in 8th Grade? Not the past 4 years that I know of.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
School a few towns away from wantagh pulled up a handful of 8th graders to varsity. Move was questioned by some.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
School a few towns away from wantagh pulled up a handful of 8th graders to varsity. Move was questioned by some.

8th graders are not the issue here. This was started by a couple of parents from Riverhead and ESM complaining that their 7th grade daughters couldn't play varsity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No 8th goalie ever came up to varsity in the history of wantagh girls lacrosse

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No 8th goalie ever came up to varsity in the history of wantagh girls lacrosse

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Put it out there, it was Massapequa. Moves questioned by many, not some. But we all know how politically motivated those moves were, just not going to get around it. So my advice if you live here, move on because it isn't going away for 4 more years!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know of a couple towns that will be a young team aswell.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe Massapequa has a rule that middle school kids can only move up and play on the varsity....not JV.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

8th graders are not the issue here. This was started by a couple of parents from Riverhead and ESM complaining that their 7th grade daughters couldn't play varsity.

I honestly do not get why all you people feel you know what is best for other peoples kids. Selection classification is supposed to be about what is best for the individual child and has nothing to do with what is best for any of the teams , JV Varsity , or the program in general.If you do not feel kids should be moved up then if they ask you about your kid don't have them selectively classified, but stop bitching about other kids and parents who feel their child will benefit from it in some way. Seems like obvious jealousy or fear that some younger kid is going to take your daughters spot. Yes I have a daughter who was moved up and was great experience, was asked to be moved up in another sport but elected not to be as she wanted to play in middle school with her friends and is not a sport she is as committed to.Stop worrying about what other parents feel is the best choice for their kids it comes across as petty jealousy.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I honestly do not get why all you people feel you know what is best for other peoples kids. Selection classification is supposed to be about what is best for the individual child and has nothing to do with what is best for any of the teams , JV Varsity , or the program in general.If you do not feel kids should be moved up then if they ask you about your kid don't have them selectively classified, but stop bitching about other kids and parents who feel their child will benefit from it in some way. Seems like obvious jealousy or fear that some younger kid is going to take your daughters spot. Yes I have a daughter who was moved up and was great experience, was asked to be moved up in another sport but elected not to be as she wanted to play in middle school with her friends and is not a sport she is as committed to.Stop worrying about what other parents feel is the best choice for their kids it comes across as petty jealousy.

Do you really think the kids are being brought up because it's what's best for the KID, and not what's best for the TEAM she's being brought up to? Most situations are the opposite. Why would it be bad for a strong player to spend a year on the middle school team with her classmates? It really depends on each individual situation, quality & quantity of players available, strength of the teams, who the coach is, etc.

I'm sure most of this is coming from parents who don't want their kids to lose a spot to a younger kid. That's what parents do - look out for their kids' best interests. Mine was brought up too but I definitely see the point of the people on the other side. Especially if it's a case where the player is brought up and doesn't dominate or make any more of an impact as the older kid would have.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe Massapequa has a rule that middle school kids can only move up and play on the varsity....not JV.
Most schools are the opposite. Kids can only go up to JV

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WI does it and the kids they bring up almost always contribute and almost immediately for that matter. I dont consider them a powerhouse but the underclassmen assisted in their run to the state final last year. Lets be honest most of us do not agree with bring girls up, but most of the time you can say to yourself that the girl deserved it. There is a lot of talented girls on Long Island.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you really think the kids are being brought up because it's what's best for the KID, and not what's best for the TEAM she's being brought up to? Most situations are the opposite. Why would it be bad for a strong player to spend a year on the middle school team with her classmates? It really depends on each individual situation, quality & quantity of players available, strength of the teams, who the coach is, etc.

I'm sure most of this is coming from parents who don't want their kids to lose a spot to a younger kid. That's what parents do - look out for their kids' best interests. Mine was brought up too but I definitely see the point of the people on the other side. Especially if it's a case where the player is brought up and doesn't dominate or make any more of an impact as the older kid would have.

Again that's just seems so silly, your kid was brought up and was dominant ? Then she was not brought up in the past 4 years because no 7-8th grader has dominated. If its better for the kids development as a player to play JV or Varsity , regardless of age , then that is where the kid should be as long as the coach ,AD, and parent are all in agreement. As far as making more of an impact than the older kid , that's up to the coach to decide and a young player developing is rarely about them being dominant its really about them playing at a level that they can compete at but that is also challenging for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Again that's just seems so silly, your kid was brought up and was dominant ? Then she was not brought up in the past 4 years because no 7-8th grader has dominated. If its better for the kids development as a player to play JV or Varsity , regardless of age , then that is where the kid should be as long as the coach ,AD, and parent are all in agreement. As far as making more of an impact than the older kid , that's up to the coach to decide and a young player developing is rarely about them being dominant its really about them playing at a level that they can compete at but that is also challenging for them.

However, it is a big problem when you have an incompetent athletic director, coach who has no involvement or touch with reality on what is going on in that district. On top of that a coach who bypasses players that would have a better impact physically then younger player, maybe not as much skill but sometimes you just need those bigger bodies in there to play. Nothing wrong with playing JV a year or even middle school. Last time I checked girls are still getting recruited out of travel and how they are performing over the summer and fall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Almost no kid gets recruited off of H.S. team, it all happens during the summer with very few exceptions f(Manhasset, McDonough). It has nothing to do with a players development because that happens during club season. It,s a load of crap when parents say it's to teach them how to play against older competition because the oldest she will play against in college is a red shirt, and that is only 1 year, so basically if she starts on varsity as a freshman in H.S. she is playing against the same age range as she would in college. with all that being said, their is only 2 reasons for a kid to be brought up to Var. in 7th grade

1. so the parents can brag about how good their kid is
2. so the school can win.

If you think the school cares about you daughters development your a fool. in the N.Y. state standards it never says that the school psychologist gets to determine if the child is ready, only the principal (an administrator) the coach and A.D (both want to win at any cost) and the parent (who needs to brag on the sideline) a recipe for disaster.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really you think your child develops better during the club season participating in one practice a week being coached by a college kid? The recruiting part yes, child developing as a player is done during high school, where the player is practicing 5-6 times a week, defensive strategy is developed and the coaches focusing on team play and winning. Watch any club team all the emphasis is put on the offense and scoring too much individual effort, watch a high school game & you will notice the difference. Maybe you can explain to me how the child develops during the club season I am open to opinions. Parents bragging on the sidelines that their child was brought up on varisty what school and believe it or not some kids earned their right.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Really you think your child develops better during the club season participating in one practice a week being coached by a college kid? The recruiting part yes, child developing as a player is done during high school, where the player is practicing 5-6 times a week, defensive strategy is developed and the coaches focusing on team play and winning. Watch any club team all the emphasis is put on the offense and scoring too much individual effort, watch a high school game & you will notice the difference. Maybe you can explain to me how the child develops during the club season I am open to opinions. Parents bragging on the sidelines that their child was brought up on varisty what school and believe it or not some kids earned their right.

We had the opposite experience. Take a gander at the years of posts about poor HS coaching. What you say ma be true for some but it certanly depends on the coaches of both HS and club.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This all depends on what HS and what club team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Earned their right ? What ever happened to Middle school, then High School, then college ? What a mess we have created.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
explain to me haw a 7th grader earned the right to be on varsity? Did they play better than every other P.A.L. kid? Have you witnessed many H.S. practices? Same drill run by coach over and over, good for fundamentals, but I thought we were talking about advanced players that could already pass and catch? A 2 hour practice with a good coach that teaches plays, strategy , and advances your lax I.Q. is far better than running line drills, and shooting drills 2hours a day 5 days a week. Lets face it, if your kid is going to be pulled up it's because your in a weak lacrosse school, and line and shooting drills will be order of the day every day.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
explain to me haw a 7th grader earned the right to be on varsity? Did they play better than every other P.A.L. kid? Have you witnessed many H.S. practices? Same drill run by coach over and over, good for fundamentals, but I thought we were talking about advanced players that could already pass and catch? A 2 hour practice with a good coach that teaches plays, strategy , and advances your lax I.Q. is far better than running line drills, and shooting drills 2hours a day 5 days a week. Lets face it, if your kid is going to be pulled up it's because your in a weak lacrosse school, and line and shooting drills will be order of the day every day.

Agreed 100%!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

We had the opposite experience. Take a gander at the years of posts about poor HS coaching. What you say ma be true for some but it certanly depends on the coaches of both HS and club.

Exactly!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You really think a two hour practice once a week teaches strategy and advances your lacrosse IQ? Then I feel sorry for the high school your daughter plays for. I do watch a lot of high level high school games and the coaches know what they are doing. You practice what you preach. Lets be honest here, the officiating at the club level leaves a lot to the imagination,defense at the club level is a joke compared to how defense is played at the high school level. You do not need a coach to run line drills and shooting drills all you need is a wall and a net. You need a coach to develop your offense, defense, clears and rides as well as your sportsmanship and overall team play. If you can do that in 2 hours once a week than you chose the right club.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You really think a two hour practice once a week teaches strategy and advances your lacrosse IQ? Then I feel sorry for the high school your daughter plays for. I do watch a lot of high level high school games and the coaches know what they are doing. You practice what you preach. Lets be honest here, the officiating at the club level leaves a lot to the imagination,defense at the club level is a joke compared to how defense is played at the high school level. You do not need a coach to run line drills and shooting drills all you need is a wall and a net. You need a coach to develop your offense, defense, clears and rides as well as your sportsmanship and overall team play. If you can do that in 2 hours once a week than you chose the right club.
If your lucky enough to play for one of the to 7 or 8 high schools then good for you, but as a whole H.S.teams are not that good at defense and have no Offensive strategy,. Club practices are much better because, presumably, every girl all ready plays at a high level, therefore, the 1 hour of line and shooting drills are kept to a 5 min. warm up. You obversely don't watch many H.S. games on L.I. because the officiating becomes various from game to game, the same refs aren't even consistent game to game. Just for giggles, as a poll, where is it worse Nassau of Suffolk? my daughter is finished with both club and H.S. and I can tell you that without question she got more out of club practice than H.S. If your daughter is opposite than your at one of these schools
E.I.
Nport
'set
G.C.
E.S.M.
Mt. S
Oside
Fdale
sachem E
stown E&W
W.I.
csh
Haup
Hunt.
sayville
swr
wantaugh
good for her but at most schools thats not the case. because that list is less than 20 schools in 3 div. when there are 98 public schools competing on L.I.

Page 40 of 83 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 82 83

Link Copied to Clipboard