BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts389,905
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 166 of 327 1 2 164 165 166 167 168 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
Yes, it's a very good school (#37 ranked university by US News, just behind Case Western and ahead of BU and Lehigh). Also, has a very good undergraduate business program. I hope that answers your question.

Wow. That is very, very good. Had no idea that penn state was rated that high academically. Read your post, looked it up, and was surprised. This might be a first on this board, My apologies, I was wrong and spoke out of turn.

Be careful of how to rate a large school like Penn St. If you check a bit deeper into the US News report its admissions is rated as "Selective" as opposed to "More Selective" and "Most Selective". So you don't need great grades to get in. That is supported by its 54% acceptance rate which also is not great. 65% graduate which isn't bad but not great.

So why does US News rank it as high as 37? When you have 40,000 enrollment you can treat 10% of your student body very well--those folks who don't care about football, drinking, etc. Do they have a good business school? Sure. But not all 40,000 have access.

Someone mentioned Bucknell, which is #32. They have 3,500 students, more selective, 27% acceptance and 85% graduation. I'll throw a completely different look with Amherst College, #2 national Liberal Arts, 1,800 enrolled, most selective, 13% acceptance, 86% graduation. For fun, I'll pick another PA school that is private, Villanova. #1 Regional University, 7,100 enrolled, more selective, 45% acceptance, 85% graduation.

Also remember US News segments its list to National University, Regional University and National Liberal Arts. Forbes throws them all in one basket, where Penn St is #166. According to Forbes it's Williams, Stanford, Swarthmore 1-2-3. They base their poll on cost of education vs earning potential of graduates.

In the end, as I tell all folks I counsel, you have to pick the right school that fits your child.

"school that fits your child" might be the most intelligent quote ever posted on this site bar none. Thank you.
Many of these internet trolls throwing out all these rankings and about this school and that school, its nauseating. Don't they realize it's mostly BS used to sell magazines and direct internet traffic to certain websites? All these people all wrapped up in this nonsense. Recently read an article in the WSJ, written by an Ivy educated former Ivy professor. He has written a book debunking all these myths about the alleged perceived value of these "highly ranked" schools. In the end, the actual value is far less than one would think. Here's some anecdotal evidence for you. Know a girl that went Notre Dame, non-athlete, nearly $62k a year now. Very highly rated school. Surely for some on here not high enough, but high nonetheless. Parents made just enough money not to receive a nickel in aid. When all said and done, well over a $250,000 investment in their daughter. Those people had to earn nearly $500,000 after their tax burden to come up with the net $250k. Two and half years into college she decides she wants to be a teacher. She graduates and gets a teaching position at a beautiful catholic school. Maybe making $40k. A girl that got hired along with her, graduated from Cortland and went to SUNY Farmingdale for two years prior to attending Cortland. Her parents total investment all in, was nearly $50k. Please, I have got to hear the justification for dropping the other $200,000 for the superior ranking. Let's hope the folks who had to earn an additional $400,000 in pre tax money, to achieve the same result as the SUNY kid, found the value in having that Notre Dame sticker on the back of their ten year old mini van...

But my kid played lacrosse there in a life changing experience now its over and she makes $4,000 coaching middle school LOL. Some of the debt that we all take on at these 40, 50, 60 thousand dollar schools with only a 10 or 20 thousand athletic package is nuts CR doesn't want us turning down D1 to play affordable D3. D3 is for the Wave and Liberty I was told

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, it's a very good school (#37 ranked university by US News, just behind Case Western and ahead of BU and Lehigh). Also, has a very good undergraduate business program. I hope that answers your question.

Wow. That is very, very good. Had no idea that penn state was rated that high academically. Read your post, looked it up, and was surprised. This might be a first on this board, My apologies, I was wrong and spoke out of turn.

Be careful of how to rate a large school like Penn St. If you check a bit deeper into the US News report its admissions is rated as "Selective" as opposed to "More Selective" and "Most Selective". So you don't need great grades to get in. That is supported by its 54% acceptance rate which also is not great. 65% graduate which isn't bad but not great.

So why does US News rank it as high as 37? When you have 40,000 enrollment you can treat 10% of your student body very well--those folks who don't care about football, drinking, etc. Do they have a good business school? Sure. But not all 40,000 have access.

Someone mentioned Bucknell, which is #32. They have 3,500 students, more selective, 27% acceptance and 85% graduation. I'll throw a completely different look with Amherst College, #2 national Liberal Arts, 1,800 enrolled, most selective, 13% acceptance, 86% graduation. For fun, I'll pick another PA school that is private, Villanova. #1 Regional University, 7,100 enrolled, more selective, 45% acceptance, 85% graduation.

Also remember US News segments its list to National University, Regional University and National Liberal Arts. Forbes throws them all in one basket, where Penn St is #166. According to Forbes it's Williams, Stanford, Swarthmore 1-2-3. They base their poll on cost of education vs earning potential of graduates.

In the end, as I tell all folks I counsel, you have to pick the right school that fits your child.

"school that fits your child" might be the most intelligent quote ever posted on this site bar none. Thank you.
Many of these internet trolls throwing out all these rankings and about this school and that school, its nauseating. Don't they realize it's mostly BS used to sell magazines and direct internet traffic to certain websites? All these people all wrapped up in this nonsense. Recently read an article in the WSJ, written by an Ivy educated former Ivy professor. He has written a book debunking all these myths about the alleged perceived value of these "highly ranked" schools. In the end, the actual value is far less than one would think. Here's some anecdotal evidence for you. Know a girl that went Notre Dame, non-athlete, nearly $62k a year now. Very highly rated school. Surely for some on here not high enough, but high nonetheless. Parents made just enough money not to receive a nickel in aid. When all said and done, well over a $250,000 investment in their daughter. Those people had to earn nearly $500,000 after their tax burden to come up with the net $250k. Two and half years into college she decides she wants to be a teacher. She graduates and gets a teaching position at a beautiful catholic school. Maybe making $40k. A girl that got hired along with her, graduated from Cortland and went to SUNY Farmingdale for two years prior to attending Cortland. Her parents total investment all in, was nearly $50k. Please, I have got to hear the justification for dropping the other $200,000 for the superior ranking. Let's hope the folks who had to earn an additional $400,000 in pre tax money, to achieve the same result as the SUNY kid, found the value in having that Notre Dame sticker on the back of their ten year old mini van...

But my kid played lacrosse there in a life changing experience now its over and she makes $4,000 coaching middle school LOL. Some of the debt that we all take on at these 40, 50, 60 thousand dollar schools with only a 10 or 20 thousand athletic package is nuts CR doesn't want us turning down D1 to play affordable D3. D3 is for the Wave and Liberty I was told

We didn't consult CR when we chose school for our daughter. CR told us when college coaches reached out to her about our daughter and then we called them. When my daughter picked her school we let the college coach know first and then texted CR-she was very happy and had no input on what school my daughter picked. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We didn't consult CR when we chose school for our daughter. CR told us when college coaches reached out to her about our daughter and then we called them. When my daughter picked her school we let the college coach know first and then texted CR-she was very happy and had no input on what school my daughter picked. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Tightly wound YJ parents are in lock step with CR, no one wants to be the kid on the committed page that says they are playing for a SUNY D3 school. Crazy parents bring their kids to YJ and TG in 3rd and 4th grade those kids don't choose to go at that age. Later kids might voice their opinion to stay but the parents are making the first decision.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you daughter is a sought after player cr is very involved, if not she could care less - that's the reallity, she trys to force her blue chip players into certain programs regardless of what they might want

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many of these internet trolls throwing out all these rankings and about this school and that school, its nauseating. Don't they realize it's mostly BS used to sell magazines and direct internet traffic to certain websites? All these people all wrapped up in this nonsense. Recently read an article in the WSJ, written by an Ivy educated former Ivy professor. He has written a book debunking all these myths about the alleged perceived value of these "highly ranked" schools. In the end, the actual value is far less than one would think. Here's some anecdotal evidence for you. Know a girl that went Notre Dame, non-athlete, nearly $62k a year now. Very highly rated school. Surely for some on here not high enough, but high nonetheless. Parents made just enough money not to receive a nickel in aid. When all said and done, well over a $250,000 investment in their daughter. Those people had to earn nearly $500,000 after their tax burden to come up with the net $250k. Two and half years into college she decides she wants to be a teacher. She graduates and gets a teaching position at a beautiful catholic school. Maybe making $40k. A girl that got hired along with her, graduated from Cortland and went to SUNY Farmingdale for two years prior to attending Cortland. Her parents total investment all in, was nearly $50k. Please, I have got to hear the justification for dropping the other $200,000 for the superior ranking. Let's hope the folks who had to earn an additional $400,000 in pre tax money, to achieve the same result as the SUNY kid, found the value in having that Notre Dame sticker on the back of their ten year old mini van...[/quote]

But my kid played lacrosse there in a life changing experience now its over and she makes $4,000 coaching middle school LOL. Some of the debt that we all take on at these 40, 50, 60 thousand dollar schools with only a 10 or 20 thousand athletic package is nuts CR doesn't want us turning down D1 to play affordable D3. D3 is for the Wave and Liberty I was told [/quote]

We didn't consult CR when we chose school for our daughter. CR told us when college coaches reached out to her about our daughter and then we called them. When my daughter picked her school we let the college coach know first and then texted CR-she was very happy and had no input on what school my daughter picked. Sorry to burst your bubble. [/quote]

If you daughter is a sought after player cr is very involved, if not she could care less - that's the reallity, she trys to force her blue chip players into certain programs regardless of what they might want[/quote]

This person doesn't know what he's talking about . She has the players' best interest at heart. Been through it twice and speak from experience.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Know numerous Cornel grads that print money as well as a few Yale grads & yes they played lacrosse. Know numerous CW Post & Adelphi grads that are civil servants & teachers so take your WSJ article and read it again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard today that a back room deal has been made for two top players from 2020 Black and one from 2019 black that has been playing up are guaranteed spots on Curcio along with one of the dads taking a roll as assistant coach. How can spots be handed out five weeks before tryouts even occur?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Know numerous Cornel grads that print money as well as a few Yale grads & yes they played lacrosse. Know numerous CW Post & Adelphi grads that are civil servants & teachers so take your WSJ article and read it again.

A LI Cop and LI teacher is about a $275,000 household and the cop can retire at about 40-45 years old. NOt bad and way better than most

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard today that a back room deal has been made for two top players from 2020 Black and one from 2019 black that has been playing up are guaranteed spots on Curcio along with one of the dads taking a roll as assistant coach. How can spots be handed out five weeks before tryouts even occur?

They're not and nice try.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They are not what? Already practicing with the team? Or not guaranteed spots? Or dad not assistant coach?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You heard correctly!!! Bye bye to 3 Curcio players who will bumped for these three! Have to love it, on the team & no tryout! The YJ way!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's 3 from TG 20 and the 20 who plays up on 19s. It's a done deal with the dad being brought in to coach. So 3 will drop from curio because they lost one who moved away. The parents will be notified soon and the bitching will soon follow. Plus deal in place for 2 girls coming over jones team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top players ,that's funny!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's for 3 black 19 and 2 black 20s

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's for 3 black 19 and 2 black 20s

Could be TG 17 black moving as a result of inadequate playing time and being passed over at U15 for half of 18 team...important year coming up and the players, not parents, want to be with an organization that will effectively communicate w colleges on their behalf.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I heard today that a back room deal has been made for two top players from 2020 Black and one from 2019 black that has been playing up are guaranteed spots on Curcio along with one of the dads taking a roll as assistant coach. How can spots be handed out five weeks before tryouts even occur?

The truth hurts all those private lessons for nothing welcome to Jones team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is the dad a coach somewhere? I know that's a big thing with the YJ that all of their coaches are 'real' coaches who coach elsewhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You heard correctly!!! Bye bye to 3 Curcio players who will bumped for these three! Have to love it, on the team & no tryout! The YJ way!

Try outs are a joke anyway, money maker. Deals will always be made for known quantity players and try outs may yield a unknown stand out once in a while. If your banking on all roster moves and changes hinged on try outs, you have no idea how it does and should work. But fret not, CR knows how it works and has it all figured out. Sucks if its your daughter getting bumped to make room, but this is how CR puts the strongest teams together.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I heard today that a back room deal has been made for two top players from 2020 Black and one from 2019 black that has been playing up are guaranteed spots on Curcio along with one of the dads taking a roll as assistant coach. How can spots be handed out five weeks before tryouts even occur?

That's only if they move the F&F. There are plenty of girls that don't train with Curcio who may be sacrificed instead. Need to keep that gravy train rolling in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You TG are pathetic. You act as if every little rumor you hear is a fact. Have I heard and read SS may be leaving for a better opportunity , yes, do I believe it, not really.Stop believing every thing you hear from some gossiping little girl. Are some TG kids coming over and going to try-outs, yes, will some make the top team, yes, do some deserve to make the top team, yes.So what, that's the way its supposed to work.Did a kid leave YJ 2nd team a few years ago and go to TG with promise of being on top team, yes. Was she one of their best players and most recruited kids and sign with a good school , yes.Happy for the kid , was a nice kid when playing YJ and is still a nice kid playing TG same as these kids will be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You TG are pathetic. You act as if every little rumor you hear is a fact. Have I heard and read SS may be leaving for a better opportunity , yes, do I believe it, not really.Stop believing every thing you hear from some gossiping little girl. Are some TG kids coming over and going to try-outs, yes, will some make the top team, yes, do some deserve to make the top team, yes.So what, that's the way its supposed to work.Did a kid leave YJ 2nd team a few years ago and go to TG with promise of being on top team, yes. Was she one of their best players and most recruited kids and sign with a good school , yes.Happy for the kid , was a nice kid when playing YJ and is still a nice kid playing TG same as these kids will be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He coaches a town team and local tournament team (lady Rebels).
Same team that beat YJ carro 2019 with 12 players and 6 were 2020
including Goalie all TG players. Awesome game by both teams.

Good guy very good coach and also very competitive. bringing 2 daughters(one at each age group) along with a couple of other players.

The move will not effect TG 2020 all top players still intact.
2019 TG maybe different story.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's only if they move the F&F. There are plenty of girls that don't train with Curcio who may be sacrificed instead. Need to keep that gravy train rolling in.

Curcio's privates and Jones' 212 Lacrosse camps and clinics. It is definitely pay to STAY!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good guy very good coach and also very competitive. bringing 2 daughters(one at each age group) along with a couple of other players.

I don't get the issue with new girls coming on to YJ. You all act like this is something strange. Are you under the impression that if you are on YJ blue in 4th grade you are guaranteed to stay there through high school? Of course not. That's why there are tryouts every year. And of course they recruit players off other teams. And of course, if they recruit someone off another team, there is an understanding that they are making the team. To think anything other is going to occur is stupid and you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree with most of what was said but not a TG only team that beat Carro, I believe over half of those kids that were on that rebels team that beat Carro will be YJ this year. Your 2020 seems to be losing at least 5 starters if not more , I know that team is mainly based on the 1 kid but losing 5 starters will have an impact, also losing that coach will have an impact.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't lump us all in as pathetic. Quote a few pathetic YJ out there too ya know. They're everywhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't have an issue... Did you read the post you responded to.

No issue,read it again. However there will certainly be parents and players on the 2020 team with issues when the coaches daughter gets more playing time.Just sayin.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This was definitely a back room deal, Power move by CR to offer a coaching position to TG dad who coached at the town level some of the top players on TG 2020.

A coordinated attempt to weaken the 2020 and the 2019 TG Black team.In my opinion especially the 2020 Black. Take the dad and about 6 of the best kids on the team.

Great business play not sure if it worked as planned.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So he is going to coach, but which team? Blue, with Curcio?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know quite a few TG black girls tried out for Legacy (with their former coach), so all that are leaving may not be coming to YJ

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bag full of money on a smokey sideline with a slimey handshake and another poaching deal is completed. Very icky if your kid is part of collateral damage.

As the lacrosse ball turns...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes coaching with Curcio.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bag full of money on a smokey sideline with a slimey handshake and another poaching deal is completed. Very icky if your kid is part of collateral damage.

As the lacrosse ball turns...

Very dramatic Sally

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This was definitely a back room deal, Power move by CR to offer a coaching position to TG dad who coached at the town level some of the top players on TG 2020.

A coordinated attempt to weaken the 2020 and the 2019 TG Black team.In my opinion especially the 2020 Black. Take the dad and about 6 of the best kids on the team.

At the end of the day it looks like CR succeeded in luring and securing some of the very top players from 2019, 2020, 2021. TG is weakened in all those age groups and YJ got stronger. All the age groups YJ was already stronger going into the off season, except 2020. Don't think TG is going to stay on top in that age group either with all the massive losses there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Glad to hear it he does a nice job with the kids , hopefully all the others coaches will stay on Curcio team along w him. All the haters can say what they want but having Curcio ( a former stand out player who has assisted some of the best on high school and college level and is now head coach at Sachem) as head coach with assistants who are, one of the best college offensive players in the country, a former defensive all- American, a head coach of a successful high school team at your disposal is awesome. Add in from what I have seen an energetic youth coach and I am good with it.Coaching on just that team alone is better than many clubs have in their whole organization.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Glad to hear it he does a nice job with the kids , hopefully all the others coaches will stay on Curcio team along w him. All the haters can say what they want but having Curcio ( a former stand out player who has assisted some of the best on high school and college level and is now head coach at Sachem) as head coach with assistants who are, one of the best college offensive players in the country, a former defensive all- American, a head coach of a successful high school team at your disposal is awesome. Add in from what I have seen an energetic youth coach and I am good with it.Coaching on just that team alone is better than many clubs have in their whole organization.
As long as your kid isn't moved down

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At the end of the day it looks like CR succeeded in luring and securing some of the very top players from 2019, 2020, 2021. TG is weakened in all those age groups and YJ got stronger. All the age groups YJ was already stronger going into the off season, except 2020. Don't think TG is going to stay on top in that age group either with all the massive losses there.

It will be closer but 2020 TG still has the kid that the whole team depended on, the kids that left will not make much of a difference nor will the other kids that stayed. 2 years from now its game over in my opinion because 1 kid very rarely dominates a game once the defenses get better and the sizes of the girls evens out a little as they go thru puberty.Even with less kids on that TG 2020 team there is only 1 ball and the kids that do not like to share it are still on TG.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As long as your kid doesn't get moved to Jones you are ok with it !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

212 degree camp is in July for those Curcio girls that get moved down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It will be closer but 2020 TG still has the kid that the whole team depended on, the kids that left will not make much of a difference nor will the other kids that stayed. 2 years from now its game over in my opinion because 1 kid very rarely dominates a game once the defenses get better and the sizes of the girls evens out a little as they go thru puberty.Even with less kids on that TG 2020 team there is only 1 ball and the kids that do not like to share it are still on TG.

Are you implying that the YJ's share the ball???? Give Me A Break!!!Close some down and they back out reset, reset, reset, reset, shoot!

Like Reply Quote
Page 166 of 327 1 2 164 165 166 167 168 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard