Anonymous #353058 10/15/21 01:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would say somewhere between 40-60% of the best players in the MIAA the last decade were holdbacks. Almost all the stars in the 2020 class were.

Well that means 40-60% of the best players are on age then right?

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: holdbacks
Anonymous #353065 10/15/21 02:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would say somewhere between 40-60% of the best players in the MIAA the last decade were holdbacks. Almost all the stars in the 2020 class were.

Outstanding reply!

Like Reply Quote
TM@BOTC #353075 10/15/21 03:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are holding back just to play lacrosse, you are a fool. Academics is another story. If going from a public school to a private school, you will need the extra year to catch up unless you are a very high achiever in the classroom. Look at all the rockstars from the class of 2018 and 2019, most of them are no longer. The holdback arbitrage is complete. Stopped growing, stopped caring, girlfriends, realizing that there is very little lacrosse life after college, etc. I say play up, if you can compete you will probably play in college. I know about the getting hurt issue, size matters, and if you are within the middle of the bell curve, I would let my son play. He also played football and which is more dangerous playing up in lacrosse or on grade in football?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353110 10/16/21 10:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Outstanding reply!

Outstanding Reply?? Years ago the best players ,,,MIAA had less holdbacks ( 40-60%) , now there are more over (75%) ??

Now, the MIAA best players are either holdbacks or born in the Sept-Dec on age Range...after that is a wasteland unless you are a holdback.

Duke had birthdays on their roster a few years ago...One kid was on age for his college class born after Jan...ONE ..

Like Reply Quote
TM@BOTC #353226 10/17/21 09:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree with those frustrated with the amount of “older” kids playing “down” at these younger ages/grades… but I guess that’s the new normal. Regarding college rosters, a lot of PGs in that group, repeating senior year at a prep school is a lot different than repeating 8th grade, IMO.

And a word of caution for all those thinking the birth year model is the way to go.
Last I checked a kid born in January is a year older than a kid born in December of the same year. And I sure as heck don’t want to see college lax turn into what college hockey looks like (youth hockey is birth year)!

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #353239 10/17/21 10:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree with those frustrated with the amount of “older” kids playing “down” at these younger ages/grades… but I guess that’s the new normal. Regarding college rosters, a lot of PGs in that group, repeating senior year at a prep school is a lot different than repeating 8th grade, IMO.

And a word of caution for all those thinking the birth year model is the way to go.
Last I checked a kid born in January is a year older than a kid born in December of the same year. And I sure as heck don’t want to see college lax turn into what college hockey looks like (youth hockey is birth year)!
Pretty dense post here. No one cares about January vs. December or an 11 month difference in general. The issue is with the 18-24 month difference that we now see at the youth level.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353245 10/17/21 10:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You don’t fool us, holdback parent/apologist.

Birth year is 10x better than grade. Grade can be whatever you want. Birth year is one year different. Max.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353304 10/18/21 10:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are holding back just to play lacrosse, you are a fool. Academics is another story. If going from a public school to a private school, you will need the extra year to catch up unless you are a very high achiever in the classroom. Look at all the rockstars from the class of 2018 and 2019, most of them are no longer. The holdback arbitrage is complete. Stopped growing, stopped caring, girlfriends, realizing that there is very little lacrosse life after college, etc. I say play up, if you can compete you will probably play in college. I know about the getting hurt issue, size matters, and if you are within the middle of the bell curve, I would let my son play. He also played football and which is more dangerous playing up in lacrosse or on grade in football?

My kids both attend MIAA schools and........you can blame it on covid if you want but..........the kids coming in from (AACO and BCoPS) public school this year are a disaster, behavior wise and academically. 2019 did not seem as bad and Fall 2020 was impossible to track. They will get better as they understand what the expectations are (at least the expectations for the non-standouts, let's be realistic that there are 2+ sets of rules). We have seen one girl and one boy already leave school, both going back to public school. Both were athletes with "expectations."

I don't want to go on record defending holdbacks, but the average lax kid cannot seamlessly bounce from Annapolis MS to St. Mary's, from MoCo PS to Georgetown Prep, or from Balt City / County schools to Gilman, LB etc. Those kids need (and deserve) a fair amount of support to make the transition. That could mean picking a school with a lot of academic support for athletes (BL, McD), providing your kid a ton of extra resources in 9th grade, or............sigh............holding them back.

There's a reason why the prep school alumni generally say that college was easier than HS........it's because HS is made as difficult as possible.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353334 10/18/21 02:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pretty dense post here. No one cares about January vs. December or an 11 month difference in general. The issue is with the 18-24 month difference that we now see at the youth level.

Ha! Says the parent of the kid with a January birth date, hence young for his grade but would be just perfect for a birth year based system! Yup, no one cares about 11 or 12 months except for the December birth day kids in a birth year system. Just like no one cares about holdbacks except for the over competitive mom or dad who's little johnny is getting his butt kicked and they think he would be the next Brennan O'Neill but all these darn hold backs are making him look bad. And most likely the kids you think are 18-24 months older, are probably only 12 months older. FYI, my kids are not holdbacks and are age appropriate for their grade. They play against teams with holdbacks, sometimes lose against them and will hopefully be better lacrosse players because of it. "We" have aspirations of them playing college lacrosse and may even hold them back in the future (i.e. later high school years, PG year) if it makes sense (they're actually good enough to play in college and holding them back gives them the opportunity to play at their school of choice and is financially achievable, etc.). But for now, I see them playing against holdbacks as a positive.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353386 10/18/21 07:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My kids both attend MIAA schools and........you can blame it on covid if you want but..........the kids coming in from (AACO and BCoPS) public school this year are a disaster, behavior wise and academically. 2019 did not seem as bad and Fall 2020 was impossible to track. They will get better as they understand what the expectations are (at least the expectations for the non-standouts, let's be realistic that there are 2+ sets of rules). We have seen one girl and one boy already leave school, both going back to public school. Both were athletes with "expectations."

I don't want to go on record defending holdbacks, but the average lax kid cannot seamlessly bounce from Annapolis MS to St. Mary's, from MoCo PS to Georgetown Prep, or from Balt City / County schools to Gilman, LB etc. Those kids need (and deserve) a fair amount of support to make the transition. That could mean picking a school with a lot of academic support for athletes (BL, McD), providing your kid a ton of extra resources in 9th grade, or............sigh............holding them back.

There's a reason why the prep school alumni generally say that college was easier than HS........it's because HS is made as difficult as possible.

No one cares (as much) about the high school holdbacks. Or even ones that do it for real academic concerns. But doing it because "private school is hard" is a cop out. It's the parents that hold their kids back in middle school and earlier that are the pathetic losers.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #353388 10/18/21 08:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like your kid takes after you. A fat slow crybaby. Boohooo boohoo!!!!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353389 10/18/21 08:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dense just like your head lost. I’m sure your kid isn’t much brighter with a lacrosse IQ to match his shoe size.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353551 10/19/21 11:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ha! Says the parent of the kid with a January birth date, hence young for his grade but would be just perfect for a birth year based system! Yup, no one cares about 11 or 12 months except for the December birth day kids in a birth year system. Just like no one cares about holdbacks except for the over competitive mom or dad who's little johnny is getting his butt kicked and they think he would be the next Brennan O'Neill but all these darn hold backs are making him look bad. And most likely the kids you think are 18-24 months older, are probably only 12 months older. FYI, my kids are not holdbacks and are age appropriate for their grade. They play against teams with holdbacks, sometimes lose against them and will hopefully be better lacrosse players because of it. "We" have aspirations of them playing college lacrosse and may even hold them back in the future (i.e. later high school years, PG year) if it makes sense (they're actually good enough to play in college and holding them back gives them the opportunity to play at their school of choice and is financially achievable, etc.). But for now, I see them playing against holdbacks as a positive.

If you want them to play college lacrosse, start saving gif the extra school year now! You will be holding them back !

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #353552 10/19/21 11:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like your kid takes after you. A fat slow crybaby. Boohooo boohoo!!!!

How old are you? Does mommy/daddy know you are on here?

Like Reply Quote
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard