SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 37 of 37 1 2 35 36 37
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #301106
04/08/20 04:08 PM
04/08/20 04:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by cltlax
Several years ago, soccer made the switch to a January 1st cutoff. There was some initial moaning, but that quickly died down and everyone just adapted. It's refreshing to watch kids play against others their own age.

Just not true. Soccer participation is down 4 years in a row and by about 700,000 over the last 4 years as reported by US Soccer Foundation and Aspen Institute.

I agree the soccer change was great and also eye opening. My kid got to play with kids in his grade/birthyear that he went to school with that he didn't before. His birthday was in June so he was use to playing with kids in the grade older before the cutoff change. My big takeaway from it was the kids that played UP had a much easier time while the kids that played down before found it harder playing against kids in their own birthyear/grade. Parents of the kids who were use to playing kids in the younger grade were constantly complaining about everything because their little superstar doesn't score 3 goals a game anymore. Its the coaches fault, other kids on the team don't pass, they are not playing the right position blah blah blah. The difference between the kids in the same birthyear isn't always 12 months. Its not like half the team was born on Jan 1 and the rest on Dec 1. Its usually a couple months. You can't tell me that holding back kids in youth sports isn't an unfair advantage because I saw what happened when kids got taken out of that in soccer and had to play against kids their own birth year. My takeaway was most of the kids who played up were much better off then the kids that played down when everything got evened out. Its funny how if you ask most kids around 9th grade if they would rather play up with Varsity vs stay down on JV most of them want to play up. I'm guessing most of the holdback's were put there by their crazy parents.

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #301113
04/08/20 09:23 PM
04/08/20 09:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is no argument at all. Holdback parents try so hard explaining there reasoning. It sounds comical.

My kid wants to play with classmates.
Answer. no, he will make new friends. Parents of kids in other sports have no choice. It’s age based.

My kid was academically/socially not ready at time kindergarten started, so we held him back.
Answer, I hope your son does well in life. No problem. However in youth sports, he still plays his age.

My family moved around a lot, needed to change schools. Had to redo 2nd grade.
Answer. Ok academically it’s more important, I hope he does well. I hope your new home is nice. However youth sports he plays his age.

My son has a birthday in July or August.
Answer. Sept 1st. That’s the cutoff date for this sport. That’s the way it goes. There has to be a date. Tell your son in 20 years to get his wife pregnant 8 months before cutoff date. This is the most ridiculous argument of them all.

My oldest sons birthday is in 2 weeks. APRIL. So he isn’t near cut off date. He plays with kids 8 months older. If I held him back according to cutoff date he would be 4 to 16 months older than everyone else. I’d be embarrassed being a dad on sideline watching my son do well against younger, smaller kids. They are little kids. It’s Youth sports If other dads had this way of thinking, this sport would be great. High school is different.

-------

This seems to be the most common thinking - except, when you actually go to the team's Teamsnap or whatever... the players all turn out to be 12-18 months older! It's really kind of embarrassing. That some parents hold multiple sons back... then try to rationalize why it was "better for the kid"

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: Anonymous] #301114
04/08/20 09:57 PM
04/08/20 09:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by cltlax
Several years ago, soccer made the switch to a January 1st cutoff. There was some initial moaning, but that quickly died down and everyone just adapted. It's refreshing to watch kids play against others their own age.

Just not true. Soccer participation is down 4 years in a row and by about 700,000 over the last 4 years as reported by US Soccer Foundation and Aspen Institute.

Nope, it is nice watching true competition of all top soccer players within a year of each other. Instead of the constant who is playing down in lacrosse. With lacrosse players within a two year range all the while acting like they are within a year. LOL..

Go to any top soccer tournament. No mention of holdbacks playing down, NONE. Go to any Top lacrosse tournament, The holdback parents are closed mouth while many look on in disgust.

Lacrosse will take soccer numbers any day. More than 3-4 times play soccer than lacrosse in youth and as they get to adult, it isnt even close. Soccer shot itself in foot a few years ago with many areas going to Club only ( higher cost). Resulting in many players not participating due to costs and travel. Sound familiar.

Reply Quote
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly! [Re: lax516] #301145
Yesterday at 07:41 PM
Yesterday at 07:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For the life of me, I have never understood why people care so much about age in youth sports. Just play whoever shows up... my kids played on older teams or in older divisions most of their youth lives- it never mattered. sometimes they didn't win a game but had fun. when they played on-age and there were older kids, they usually were just bigger and stronger but never very good. never did I feel anything other than sadness for the older kids having to play with younger ones and feeling what I presume to be inadequate

Reply Quote
Page 37 of 37 1 2 35 36 37
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification