@BackOfTheCAGE
Posted By: TM@BOTC Steps Lacrosse -
Thread to discuss Steps Lacrosse
Posted By: MomOf6 Re: Steps Lacrosse -
Steps is the best program in NJ on the Girl's side hands down and from what I know of the boy's program, they are also one of the top programs, if not the top program in NJ
One hundred percent. Steps has a partnership with the Yellow Jackets so that has to tell you something and the guys program has the most college commits out of every club
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Steps Lacrosse -
You people are obviously Steps parents. What about Tri-State, Patriots, SJ Shamrocks, etc? These are top teams in New Jersey - just look at the tournaments they go to and who they beat. Enough said
how's BBL girls?
not the TOP program in NJ but they are competitive every year
BBL should keep 'Building Blocks' bc they are nowhere near Steps
haven't heard that they have any 2019 commits....
Originally Posted by Anonymous
haven't heard that they have any 2019 commits....

They have 5 according to the Commitment Center on BOTC. That seems like a pretty good # to me.
girls?
Girls have 19
How do you know that?
That number of commits is verified - we will be posting the girls 2019 & 2020 commits from the Tri-state area + MD, VA & PA soon
STEPS at the HS is the most competitive team in NJ on the girls side. At the youth level other teams are comparable. Once HS rolls around, many kids leave their clubs to go to Steps. Typical tryout for steps will have 80-100 kids trying out for two teams, most clubs get half of that. BBL would compete for 2nd, 3rd place along with SJS.

Steps on the boys side does not have the same reputation as a Patriot lax or Leading Edge.
Leading Edge and Patriot are definitely the top dogs for the boys side but what about SJ Shamrocks for the girls?
Do you mean South Jersey Select (SJS) ? T3 has a large program
SJS is competitive, they are at the southern tip of NJ and pull kids from Moorestown. T3 has programs through out the state, I would put their south team in top 5 below BBL.
What about SJ Shamrocks, not select? They have both a boys and girls program. Where would you rank them for each of their programs?
What about SJ Shamrocks, not select? They have both a boys and girls program. Where would you rank them for each of their programs?

SJ Shamrocks were just added to the Lax Fed so there boys teams def. deserve to be in the conversation of a top tier club.
they stink
Originally Posted by NJ_Laxer

SJ Shamrocks were just added to the Lax Fed so there boys teams def. deserve to be in the conversation of a top tier club.

Lax Fed? Have you seen the clubs in Lax Fed? I think the opposite is true

Trying to make a generalized statement about NJ boys/girls clubs is ridiculous. STEPS definitely has the reputation on the girls side, but in no way does STEPS, Shamrocks, Patriot, etc. carry much weight on the boys side. When you look at who is playing in the upper tier boys national tournaments with success, you are mostly down to BBL, Leading Edge and Tri-State and perhaps Blue Star. Yes, there are other very good programs like Tribal, Patriot, Riot, NJLC etc., but they do not have the same level of prominence.

Trying to make a generalized statement about NJ boys/girls clubs is ridiculous. STEPS definitely has the reputation on the girls side, but in no way does STEPS, Shamrocks, Patriot, etc. carry much weight on the boys side. When you look at who is playing in the upper tier boys national tournaments with success, you are mostly down to BBL, Leading Edge and Tri-State and perhaps Blue Star. Yes, there are other very good programs like Tribal, Patriot, Riot, NJLC etc., but they do not have the same level of prominence.

I agree that BBL is at the top of the food chain for the boys side followed by Patriot. Riot, NJLC, BlueStar, SJ Shamrocks and Tri-State all have solid programs but I just think BBL and Patriot are the perennial power boys programs.

I agree that BBL is at the top of the food chain for the boys side followed by Patriot. Riot, NJLC, BlueStar, SJ Shamrocks and Tri-State all have solid programs but I just think BBL and Patriot are the perennial power boys programs.

Patriot boys are not good? Their '23 went 0-3 at Trilogy Veterans Day Classic and none of their other teams where in the finals and that was a bad event. The top programs do not even waste their time at that event.

Leading Edge Elite is running the best boys program for 8th - High School today. Hands down, they would beat BBL at every level.

Patriot boys are not good? Their '23 went 0-3 at Trilogy Veterans Day Classic and none of their other teams where in the finals and that was a bad event. The top programs do not even waste their time at that event.

Leading Edge Elite is running the best boys program for 8th - High School today. Hands down, they would beat BBL at every level.

Agreed, traditionally LE has been the most consistent top to bottom with their high school teams (8th grade is always a toss-up because that team will change come high school), BBL and Tri-State will put together some good teams, but will have gaps...the Patriot thing makes absolutely no sense, just compare the schedules, LE is playing NLF, and you will always see BBL and Tri-State at the national tournaments like Naptown and Adrenaline, they may not win, but they have skin in the game.

SJ Shamrocks is not a top tier club. That doesn't mean they are terrible, but they are not top caliber. Also, they are not in the NLF (National Lacrosse Federation).

2021s - I think BBL as good as or better than LE

SJ Shamrocks is not a top tier club. That doesn't mean they are terrible, but they are not top caliber. Also, they are not in the NLF (National Lacrosse Federation).

Lax Fed is an actual organization, not to be confused with NLF. Can't really comment on Lax Fed because I haven't really heard of the majority of the teams

Lax Fed is an actual organization, not to be confused with NLF. Can't really comment on Lax Fed because I haven't really heard of the majority of the teams

All B&C teams. Smart to have another group like this but the talent is what it is. If you have a son who is more D2 and D3 it is a smart way to go. They will get better recruiting and better over all travel lacrosse experience at a Laxfed event on a comparable team. A better option for kids that play on the bench of an NLF club.
You apparently didn't watch LE lose 9-1 to Annapolis Hawks last week and then watch that Hawks team trail BBL most of the came before winning at the last minute 8-7.
You apparently didn't watch LE lose 9-1 to Annapolis Hawks last week and then watch that Hawks team trail BBL most of the came before winning at the last minute 8-7.

2022 is who I was referring to.

To anyone that thinks Bluestar is universally a great club, they lost to STEPS 2022 yesterday pretty badly...

2022 is who I was referring to.

To anyone that thinks Bluestar is universally a great club, they lost to STEPS 2022 yesterday pretty badly...

No NJ club is universally great club, they all have good, bad and average teams, every class is different.

What age group?

What age group?

It's fall and it was on a Saturday. Seton Hall Prep, Manasquan & Wall had football games. LE had 2023 filling in for 2022 that were playing other sports.

What age group?

It's fall and it was on a Saturday. Seton Hall Prep, Manasquan & Wall had football games. LE had 2023 filling in for 2022 that were playing other sports.

This is why making blanket statements about the strength or weakness of a particular program based upon fall results is completely ridiculous. Forget what day the games were played, a lot of very good impact players simply do not play fall ball. The constant demands of high school sports leaves little room for rest, most kids use Sundays for recovery.
What are costs involved for a girls team like STEPS or BBL?
What are costs involved for a girls team like STEPS or BBL?

From what I was told, Steps charges north of 3k and BBL is $2750. This is not verified though..
Steps Girls question. My daughter is a 2028. She was just placed on a team. I was told by parents that the Blue and White teams are not A and B at the younger ages. Is this correct? What's the story?
to my knowledge, that is correct. STEPS will create "A" and "B" teams going into 8th grade (maybe 7th?), I forget which.
We are on the 2027 BBL team and I want to say it was $2,800.
Why is STEPS not participating in NGLL Nationals?
is there a link for steps tryout results?
Invites were sent out to individual players.
Pros and cons - Steps White vs. BBL Black vs. CLC Pride for 2026 girl?
CLC 2026 ranked above steps and bbl. the 2022 team is as well. Nice girls on 2026, great coaches. Heads of CLC have great college connections. Women run! Amazing communication.

Steps solid club too, long running
Bbl people like too. Owned by a guy. I think more of a boys club but that’s just me.

All good in one way or another. Where does she have friends.
I would never allow my daughter near BBL. Steps is excellent - both white and blue and CLC has a great program with legit coaches. Good luck.
I would never allow my daughter near BBL. Steps is excellent - both white and blue and CLC has a great program with legit coaches. Good luck.

Why?
BBL girls does not have good coaching. Just picks up good players from Chatham.
The Steps Navy 2027 coach is an absolute [Censored]. Yelling and screaming his head off all weekend. Steps better replace that dude STAT. Not a good look at all for the program.
agreed. that was a disgrace.
Especially surprising to me since the owners daughter plays on that team.
103 girls in 2029 tryouts…no idea how they can decide on a two hour tryout. Then they don’t contact you if you don’t make it, only if you do. Sounds like a money maker for them
103 girls in 2029 tryouts…no idea how they can decide on a two hour tryout. Then they don’t contact you if you don’t make it, only if you do. Sounds like a money maker for them
I'm sorry that your daughter didn't make the team, but all tryouts are money makers. My daughter plays for Steps and they run an amazing program. Worth every penny. Getting on either team is not easy. If she really wants to play for Steps, she should keep trying.
Does steps follow USA lacrosse registration for age? Asking for a friend on the younger years
Does steps follow USA lacrosse registration for age? Asking for a friend on the younger years
I believe so. My daughter plays for Steps. They are now going age based for certain grades. Just email them and they will let you know. As far as I know all of the girls on my daughter's team are on age age according to USA Lacrosse. It's a great club. Worth every penny.
© US Lacrosse Community Forum