@BackOfTheCAGE
Looking for info on Team Long Island, anyone have any experiences with them?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Team Long Island -
what do you want to know? my kid plays there. we are very happy. great training and coaching for a reasonable price.
Team Long Island is a great program! The prices are very reasonable!!And the coaches are great and committed! The organization isnt as big as some of the others, which i see as a better experience!
Originally Posted by bothkidsinlax
Looking for info on Team Long Island, anyone have any experiences with them?

Great program with some top notch teams and coaches! All volunteer.
Thanks for the comments, this will help us make decision in the spring.

Do they post the tournaments on the web?

Do families stay together inthe same hotels when out of town?

Thanks again.....
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thanks for the comments, this will help us make decision in the spring.

Do they post the tournaments on the web?

Do families stay together inthe same hotels when out of town?

Thanks again.....

How old are your kids? Tryouts are over, but there are some age groups that might need kids. I don't think they post the tourneys. The teams all stay together when they are out of town.
yes for all of your questions
Thanks...we are involved with the Yellowjackets also and have become accustomed to how things are done over the years...We missed tryouts due to the heavy rain back in Aug/Sept and were away for the next date....We are looking at the third grade group.

Originally Posted by bothkidsinlax
Thanks...we are involved with the Yellowjackets also and have become accustomed to how things are done over the years...We missed tryouts due to the heavy rain back in Aug/Sept and were away for the next date....We are looking at the third grade group.
TLI does a lot over the winter. I would call and see if there is room now.
Anyone hear that Team Long island is combining with 91?????
That would be the beginning of the end with team long island.. Why would they risk there program name to merge with 91? Doubtful gongas would charge the big $ that 91 does!

No chance!!! Where do you people get this stuff?
Heard from some Comsewogue people that Gongas is looking to merge the program. Also heard that longtime Gongas/ Team Long Island partner Dave Koharts son is coaching at 91.

I heard something very similar two days ago.....dont know what to beleive.....huge differance in cost...
Heard from some Comsewogue people that Gongas is looking to merge the program. Also heard that longtime Gongas/ Team Long Island partner Dave Koharts son is coaching at 91.
Thought that Adam Kohart was involved with the Millon Force now based on e-mail addresses?
from the team 91 web site Al Kohart coaching 6th grade navy - 2018
I do know Gongas is a good friend of Joe Spallina not sure
I do know Gongas is a good friend of Joe Spallina not sure

That is not happening!! TLI is nont for profit ,91 is all about profit! They are friends, but Joe Spallina doesn'rt own 91! Brian does.
I guess it's time for Team LI to start making a profit on the backs of the lacrosse community. 91 has done nothing but "swindle" people of their money. 2nd/3rd grade teams with parents paying $1300. Crazy. Buy a lax wall for $200 and have your kid practice.
What does Team LI charge $ for a tournament season?

We paid about $500 for the summer tournaments and winter indoor sessions last year.
What grade is that? What does that include?
What grade is that? What does that include?
It is pretty much the same for all age groups. That was 6 tournaments,indoor time with training and a uniform.

We paid about $500 for the summer tournaments and winter indoor sessions last year.

How many and what tourneys?

The average tourney fees these days is about $1,500 per team with most teams doing 5 tourneys a year. Even with 22 kids on a team that's still roughly $70/player not including coaching fees. $70 x 5 = $350. An indoor league will be another $100-$150/player depending on the league and number of kids on a team (agian, no coaching fees). That alone is $450-$500! Add in coaches fees and expenses, uniforms, insurance, etc.

How many and what tourneys?

The average tourney fees these days is about $1,500 per team with most teams doing 5 tourneys a year. Even with 22 kids on a team that's still roughly $70/player not including coaching fees. $70 x 5 = $350. An indoor league will be another $100-$150/player depending on the league and number of kids on a team (agian, no coaching fees). That alone is $450-$500! Add in coaches fees and expenses, uniforms, insurance, etc.

There are no coaches fees! They are volunteers! TLI also does fundraising to subsidize the costs. Some teams end up paying less than that.
I have always known TLI to be a competitive team. It seems damn near impossible that they can maintain an organization at $500.00 per player. Like I said - If they can do it, God bless them - they deserve it.
Originally Posted by 429lax
I have always known TLI to be a competitive team. It seems damn near impossible that they can maintain an organization at $500.00 per player. Like I said - If they can do it, God bless them - they deserve it.

You can't think of it like the other organizations! No one is in it for the money! Whatever the costs are are divided up equally between the members of the team. The teams do fund raisers and that comes directly off the bottomline. The teams are competitive with the top teams! my son's team did way more practices than 10, probably 3 times that!
Congrats to the 6th grade TLI boys They scrimmaged 6th grade orange express Sunday
and won 6 to 3 .
It was a tie game. Final score 5-5.
What game were you watching ????? Team LI BEAT Express 6 to 3.
It was a scrimmage!!!! No refs, coaches on the field instructing(sometimes taking time out to explain) no penalties called, lots of rotations of lines. Both teams looked good. I had it 5-5 but who cares. These two teams can compete and they will just get better.
Not accurate at all. Great game by both teams but it ended in a 5-5 tie.
Sunday morning game.

Tie score, 5-5
Sunday morning game.

Tie score, 5-5

It was actually 6-5, but who cares? TLI is a very good team. It will be a great summer with these 2 teams and 91! Should all be very competitive. It was actually great to see both coaches working together to help all the kids! Hope we see more of that,all the kids will benefit.
with all the negativity surrounding these club teams, here you have two competitive teams whose coaches see the value in a great scrimmage which was a teaching/learning experience for both teams and you're going to start the "my team is better than your team" nonsense? Shame on you ...GROW UP!
with all the negativity surrounding these club teams, here you have two competitive teams whose coaches see the value in a great scrimmage which was a teaching/learning experience for both teams and you're going to start the "my team is better than your team" nonsense? Shame on you ...GROW UP!

Please don't react to the nonsense on here. I guarantee the original comments about the score were not from a TLI parent. There are people (probably from another team) who just like to stir the pot. Do yourself a favor and don't get sucked into the BS! It was a positive experience for all who WERE THERE! leave it at that!
Agreed!
Agree but it was a 5-5 tie cool

Are you seriously that much of a baby? and apparwntly bad at math!
As a general rule of sportsmanship, scrimmages do NOT have scores. Scrimmages are organized practices where set plays and pieces are replayed during the match in order to allow the players to master (or learn) the technique. You might have been counting the numbers of times the ball found the Back the THE CAGE, but that does not mean you were keeping score of a game.
This was the 6th grade LI Express Orange team?
This was the 6th grade LI Express Orange team?
Yes
Special thanks to Team LI 2018 for hosting a dual practice with 91 Orange team. Two groups of great kids enjoying a practice/short scrimmage.
For all you curious Express people, nobody kept score or even cared about the outcome. I don't think either team called an emergency practice the next day like some other team.
Look forward to doing it more often.
Please pay your bill for Hershey so they can make up the schedule for this weekend.
Sched, at least for Saturday has been posted since this morning....
Have a question for team LI folks. Heard a rumor that team LI was folding into 91. Is there any truth to this?

My son was interested in trying out for Team LI, and he doesn't want to be part of 91.
Yes it's true.
Yes it's true.

Why ask when you knew the answer to your own question? That's right, anything to take a cheap shot at 91. LOL
Why isn't Team LI's 5th grade A team not playing in A at the Stony Brook Lax Clash? They are pretty good from what I am hearing.
Have a question for team LI folks. Heard a rumor that team LI was folding into 91. Is there any truth to this?

My son was interested in trying out for Team LI, and he doesn't want to be part of 91.

why is this happening? The coach moving to 91?

why is this happening? The coach moving to 91?

Is this actually happening or just rumors? Is it the whole Team Long Island Organization?
How do you know, there is no schedule.
The schedule is out.
Anyone know when team LI tryouts are for 2018's? Thanks.
Anyone know when team LI tryouts are for 2018's? Thanks.

August 18th.
The schedule is out.

Where is the schedule? Not on the team LI site. Is that true about Team LI merging with 91??

Its true Stampede merged into 91 , if team long island goes that route rest assure they will be losing my son and 3/4 of his team , there no way we would want to be involved with this monopoly of a scam !

The schedule is out.

Where is the schedule? Not on the team LI site. Is that true about Team LI merging with 91??

Its true Stampede merged into 91 , if team long island goes that route rest assure they will be losing my son and 3/4 of his team , there no way we would want to be involved with this monopoly of a scam !

Doesn't 91 already have C teams in most ages?

The schedule is out.

Anyone know anything about their 2018 A team? How's the coaching? Do any of the coaches have son on the team? How's the program? Don't know anyone in the club, just trying to find some info before my son trys out. Thanks.
Anyone know anything about their 2018 A team? How's the coaching? Do any of the coaches have son on the team? How's the program? Don't know anyone in the club, just trying to find some info before my son trys out. Thanks.

The 2018 team is very good and very well coached. They can play with any team in their age group.

this is totally false!
Can someone share the website address for this team? The site listed on the left had side of this page does not seem to be correct.
Does anyone know when Team LI try outs are? I heard this weekend but cant find ANYTHING on their website. my boys will be trying out for 3rd and 5th grade. Thanks!!!!
Each year I fire one salvo across the bow of this web site. After thoughtful consideration, here it is : KING GONG !!
OMG, It's Alive! first post in almost 6 months
Each year I fire one salvo across the bow of this web site. After thoughtful consideration, here it is : KING GONG !!

Mr. Blutarski...0.0!!!!
OMG, It's Alive! first post in almost 6 months

Less post's = Less Drama! let's keep it that way!
Question the Team LI U13 is a mix of 7th and 8th graders. I heard they played at the Hub this weekend. How many 8th graders vs 7th graders are on the roster?
Question the Team LI U13 is a mix of 7th and 8th graders. I heard they played at the Hub this weekend. How many 8th graders vs 7th graders are on the roster?

It's mostly 7th, Probably 4 or 5 young 8th graders.

Should that say 6th 7th and 8th

Should that say 6th 7th and 8th

No they are referring to 1 particular team that has a few young 8th graders on it. Most 2018 teams have a few 7th graders that are the same age as the young 8th graders. The age mix is the same.
When are the tryouts for Team Long Island usually? Is it an invite only type thing? I would like my son to tryout for the U13 team next year, he is a very good defenseman with a good travel program, hes just looking to make a change.

Any help would be appreciated.

When are the tryouts for Team Long Island usually? Is it an invite only type thing? I would like my son to tryout for the U13 team next year, he is a very good defenseman with a good travel program, hes just looking to make a change.

If you go to the Tryouts Forum, you will find the August 2012 thread for the Team Long Island Tryouts.

Team Long Island Tryouts on BOTC Tryouts Forum

On that thread, you will find contact details for the Team Long Island program. Good luck!
Originally Posted by CageSage

If you go to the Tryouts Forum, you will find the August 2012 thread for the Team Long Island Tryouts.

Team Long Island Tryouts on BOTC Tryouts Forum

On that thread, you will find contact details for the Team Long Island program. Good luck!

Thanks Cage! Would you happen to know which U13 team would be considered their top team? They have 4 U-13 teams. Blue, Red, Gold and White? Im assuming the Red team?
Thanks Cage! Would you happen to know which U13 team would be considered their top team? They have 4 U-13 teams. Blue, Red, Gold and White? Im assuming the Red team?
We would assume the same, but best to be sure and contact the program for confirmation.

Individual team contacts for Team Long Island can be found at the following link :

Team Long Island - Individual Team Coaches and Contacts
For U13 it is White, Red, Gold, Blue
So the white team is the top team at the U-13 level?
Yes, where did your son play?
Yes
Is white the top team at all levels?
When and where are the tryouts for Team Long Island?

usually august at Mt sinai

Do they post it somewhere or is there contact info?

Based on their 2012 information, contact Mike Gongas at mgongas@optonline.net and you can check their web site on the right side content island.

Based on their 2012 information, contact Mike Gongas at mgongas@optonline.net and you can check their web site on the right side content island.

Thank you Cage!
He's a disgruntled 91 parent who feels his son is better than everyone on the team.
Yes, where did your son play?
Hello I was interested in finding out how the U12 Team Long Island teams are? Do they play in A or B divisions? There web site doesnt say much. Is Team Long Island on the same ability level as Team 91 or Express?
Hello I was interested in finding out how the U12 Team Long Island teams are? Do they play in A or B divisions? There web site doesnt say much. Is Team Long Island on the same ability level as Team 91 or Express?

At some age groups Team LI is better than team 91 and the express.

What about the 2020 group? I have seen the 2021 A team and they were really competitive, but never saw the 2020 A team play.

What about the 2020 group? I have seen the 2021 A team and they were really competitive, but never saw the 2020 A team play.

They were not a strong team.

I would say they are a developing team. They have a faceoff kid that rarely loses, great defense, could use a stronger attack. They have the potential to be great if they could pick up a couple good shooters.
what would those be?

what would those be?

Based on the most recent performance team LI is better than 91 at the u9 and u10 age group and the cost to participate is roughly half. u11 should be better next year with a couple changes. Solid overall team with a couple weak links. As the kids go through the Team LI program they will play in all the best recruiting tournaments you just won't have an extra 100$ plus fee tacked on to each one that goes to the direcztphdtors wallet. Many the kids on u17 are committed to D1 schools.
what would those be?

Based on the most recent performance team LI is better than 91 at the u9 and u10 age group and the cost to participate is roughly half. u11 should be better next year with a couple changes. Solid overall team with a couple weak links. As the kids go through the Team LI program they will play in all the best recruiting tournaments you just won't have an extra 100$ plus fee tacked on to each one that goes to the direcztphdtors wallet. Many the kids on u17 are committed to D1 schools.

It is true team li is a strong B team that can beat 91's b teams in u-9 and u-10. Good organization.
what would those be?

It is true team li is a strong B team that can beat 91's b teams in u-9 and u-10. Good organization.

I have a feeling this is coming from a 91 parent who thinks winning a 4th grade tournament matters. TLI has been around for years and has won national championships and sent many players to D1 and beyond. 91 is still building a program. Look at this years Champ Camp, how many 91 teams there and how did they fair?

91 is building a program and a few teams the directors coach are competitive, but don't knock a program that has been around for years and has achieve significant success.

Express is clearly an established program with results to show.
Slow down killer. Team LI's U9 team can't touch the 91 2022 Smash team.

Have they played each other? If not then you're the one that needs to slow down with your baseless comments!
what would those be?

I have a feeling this is coming from a 91 parent who thinks winning a 4th grade tournament matters. TLI has been around for years and has won national championships and sent many players to D1 and beyond. 91 is still building a program. Look at this years Champ Camp, how many 91 teams there and how did they fair?

91 is building a program and a few teams the directors coach are competitive, but don't knock a program that has been around for years and has achieve significant success.

Express is clearly an established program with results to show.

Team LI u17 also were the champions of Philly NXT invitational, Dicks Tourney of Champions, and Stowe this year, What Tournaments did Express and 91 u17 win? Keep in mind that the u17 age group is the one that really matters in term of kids looking to play Lax in college.
No they haven't played each other but recall that you were the one who started the conversation by saying that Team LI was better at the U9 level. I guess they COULD have played at Lax Clash but Smash was too busy playing up in the 4B division.

Have they played each other? If not then you're the one that needs to slow down with your baseless comments!

The conversation was opened up when a Team LI parent said that Team LI was better than 91 at U-9 and U-10. Then you tell someone else their comments are baseless because they have never played each other, that's funny.

Smash is THE best U-9 team on Long Island end of story. I'm not a 91 parent but I have seen Smash play a few times this summer no team their age comes close. Team LI handled the 2022 B team not A, so lets not get ahead of ourselves with the we are the best. Smash has the record to back up their statement, do you?

The conversation was opened up when a Team LI parent said that Team LI was better than 91 at U-9 and U-10. Then you tell someone else their comments are baseless because they have never played each other, that's funny.

Smash is THE best U-9 team on Long Island end of story. I'm not a 91 parent but I have seen Smash play a few times this summer no team their age comes close. Team LI handled the 2022 B team not A, so lets not get ahead of ourselves with the we are the best. Smash has the record to back up their statement, do you?

I heard they have an awesome U-6 team.
No they haven't played each other but recall that you were the one who started the conversation by saying that Team LI was better at the U9 level. I guess they COULD have played at Lax Clash but Smash was too busy playing up in the 4B division.

Why play up in a B division? Not familiar with the team or age group but seems odd...

with a name like "Smash" they must be better! Comical!
what would those be?

U-17
U-13
U-10
u-9
All these Team LI teams are in the conversation for being the top LI team in their age group. Crowning a paper champion is just silly, but on any given day these teams can beat anyone at their age and are at a AA level.
U-15
U-14
U-13 (Team 2)
U-12
These teams are all solid A teams but won't beat the top (! or Express teams
U-11
More of a B plus team. Needs a few more players to consistently compete at an A level. Has a core of some very good players.
This is a very good long standing organization that is always competitive and has a history of producing some of the best players of all time! i.e. Rob Pannell and Matt Donowski. It is also a fraction of the cost of the other top clubs. You get a lot for your money!

Seriously, 2022 should be having fun, the parents need to stop. These kids can barely tie their own shoes, let them be kids and enjoy, it gets worse as they get into MS. Stop while you can or your son will not want to play any more.

with a name like "Smash" they must be better! Comical!

Do you? I never said I did, if you know how to read, you would see that I said that you can't say who is a better team when they have not played each other. You are so silly. Get a life!

Do you? I never said I did, if you know how to read, you would see that I said that you can't say who is a better team when they have not played each other. You are so silly. Get a life!

Duke (16-5) did not play VMI (1-12) this year but I think we can all agree that Duke would win, except if you look at common opponents

VMI beat Manhattan
Manhattan beat Mercer
Mercer beat St Joe's
St Joe's beat UMASS
UMASS beat UNC
UNC beat Duke

Q: who is the best team in the country
A: Who is VMI?

Alex Trebek is looking at the judges for a ruling....

Duke (16-5) did not play VMI (1-12) this year but I think we can all agree that Duke would win, except if you look at common opponents

VMI beat Manhattan

And Loyola came out of no where to win the NCAA championship last year. You never know with Lax . Can't always go on past performance. Another example is Maryland this year starting as untouchable and then finishing #10. What exactly are you saying? Clearly you know nothing about teamwork and momentum. Sad!
Manhattan beat Mercer
Mercer beat St Joe's
St Joe's beat UMASS
UMASS beat UNC
UNC beat Duke

VMI beat Manhattan

And Loyola came out of no where to win the NCAA championship last year. You never know with Lax . Can't always go on past performance. Another example is Maryland this year starting as untouchable and then finishing #10. What exactly are you saying? Clearly you know nothing about teamwork and momentum. Sad!

Manhattan beat Mercer
Mercer beat St Joe's
St Joe's beat UMASS
UMASS beat UNC
UNC beat Duke

VMI beat Manhattan

Manhattan beat Mercer
Mercer beat St Joe's
St Joe's beat UMASS
UMASS beat UNC
UNC beat Duke

You are an idiot for investing that much time and thought into 9 year old lacrosse. Team LI should pay Smash, get smoked and stop posturing...they can then work their way down by getting beat by igloo, then 91 white etc. no offense to team LI, they are a fine. B team
Actually you are. So confident... know it all don't you? Just ask the Turtles what happens to the "chosen ones" ! Point is Team LI shows that you don't have donate large amounts of money to be part of a respectable team. We are not looking to win every tourney. just winning about 50% of games helps kids grow the most., A,B,C doesn't matter that much right now. trust me THINGS CHANGE! If They learn how to appreciate victory as well as being humble, the best will rise to the top. If you think you know who the best kids in their age group will be 5 years from now, I promise you , you will be wrong 4/5 times. In the end the good kids are the good kids. They can not ride on the backs of 4-5 great players that are responsible for winning championships. If they learn and have fun, with a taste of both winning and losing, they will be better for it. Once they hit 9th grade, nobody cares that they played on Smash or Crush or even Team LI. They need to show how good they are individually. Good luck!

VMI beat Manhattan

Manhattan beat Mercer
Mercer beat St Joe's
St Joe's beat UMASS
UMASS beat UNC
UNC beat Duke

The point was people can have an opinion about who is better then whom without those teams having played each other - which was the issue raised and addressed, the next lesson will be on how to quote and post on BOTC so people can follow what you are trying to say and the order in which the posts are being made and not replying in the middle of someone else post.

VMI beat Manhattan
Manhattan beat Mercer
Mercer beat St Joe's
St Joe's beat UMASS
UMASS beat UNC
UNC beat Duke

You are an idiot for investing that much time and thought into 9 year old lacrosse. Team LI should pay Smash, get smoked and stop posturing...they can then work their way down by getting beat by igloo, then 91 white etc. no offense to team LI, they are a fine. B team

Actually, we took a vote and you are the idiot - this guy was making a joke and while you ridicule him for wasting time on 9 year old lacrosse you then you suggest a 9 year old team "pay" to get smoked.....silly man
... the next lesson will be on how to quote and post on BOTC so people can follow what you are trying to say and the order in which the posts are being made and not replying in the middle of someone else post.
Thanks for raising this issue. (Our moderators spend more time trying to clean up the corrupted quotes than you realize!)

To All : When you quote a previous article, it is critically important that you do NOT change the tags inside the square brackets. Do not change the word "quote" and do not remove an opening or closing bracket. (For those with a technical background, these tags are exactly like opening and closing HTML commands.)

Most importantly, do not post your thoughts in the middle of someone else's post since most readers will not be able to identify the new content that you have posted.

Following those simple rules will make the flow easier to follow.
... the next lesson will be on how to quote and post on BOTC so people can follow what you are trying to say and the order in which the posts are being made and not replying in the middle of someone else post.
Thanks for raising this issue. (Our moderators spend more time trying to clean up the corrupted quotes than you realize!)

To All : When you quote a previous article, it is critically important that you do NOT change the tags inside the square brackets. Do not change the word "quote" and do not remove an opening or closing bracket. (For those with a technical background, these tags are exactly like opening and closing HTML commands.)

Most importantly, do not post your thoughts in the middle of someone else's post since most readers will not be able to identify the new content that you have posted.

Following those simple rules will make the flow easier to follow.

Sorry Cage, Was a mistake! Thought I was at the bottom of the quote
Sorry Cage, Was a mistake! Thought I was at the bottom of the quote
No problems - sometimes knowing how these deeply nested comments work creates a problem when posting! Thanks for contributing!
Any info on tryouts for Team LI? Their website indicated that they are next weekend yet no info is posted.
Any info on tryouts for Team LI? Their website indicated that they are next weekend yet no info is posted.

<<Post Removed>>
Anyone hear from Team LI about practices? I went to Gongas's Wed night clinic the other night and didn't see any Team LI players there. Haven't heard from the coach. I guess there are no fall tournaments or winter league?
Anyone hear from Team LI about practices? I went to Gongas's Wed night clinic the other night and didn't see any Team LI players there. Haven't heard from the coach. I guess there are no fall tournaments or winter league?

So you come anonymously to an online forum to make a statement like that? to what end? There were no Team LI players there? Was your son there? is he not a Team LI player....I assume you do know your coaches phone number and/or email address? Or, if you received an email from Coach G, you can email him back..... Troll elsewhere....

So you come anonymously to an online forum to make a statement like that? to what end? There were no Team LI players there? Was your son there? is he not a Team LI player....I assume you do know your coaches phone number and/or email address? Or, if you received an email from Coach G, you can email him back..... Troll elsewhere....

So why don't you answer the questions unless you are also trolling?

The danger of locking in early with an August tryout. Heard communication isn't one of this clubs strong suits.

The danger of locking in early with an August tryout. Heard communication isn't one of this clubs strong suits.

What do you want for $600 bucks? They run a pretty strong program at a very low cost. Got to give em that!
Not a representative of TLI but speaking of general travel teams.

The team your son tried out for is a 2014 summer team. Practices and tournament are next year. There are some teams within some programs that will hold fall practices and enter fall tournaments. This is normally additional.

Most programs will run winter clinics that cost extra from the summer fees.

I recommend you contact your coach and ask of the team will be doing any fall or winter activities.
Every team is different, contact your Coach or Coach G - there is no blanket answer - some do more, some do less
Every team is different, contact your Coach or Coach G - there is no blanket answer - some do more, some do less

find a team that does year round activities.52
© US Lacrosse Community Forum