@BackOfTheCAGE
Use this thread to discuss lacrosse pertaining to 11th Grade Boys (2024 Grads) for the Fall 2022/Summer 2023 Season.
Reposting last post from previous SY:

Apex 60 completely unorganized.
NY Regional Games did not have 70’ scouts. Saw at most 4 guys with chairs sitting on the field. Maybe another 4 in the stands. For them to post 75 + is outlandish and I watched most of the 23/24 games.
Originally Posted by Anonymous
NY Regional Games did not have 70’ scouts. Saw at most 4 guys with chairs sitting on the field. Maybe another 4 in the stands. For them to post 75 + is outlandish and I watched most of the 23/24 games.

Yep….that’s why so few of the top players go to this. It’s a lot of money to pay so your kid can have fun.
When do the colleges start posting their fall prospect dates?
Originally Posted by Team BOTC
Reposting last post from previous SY:

Apex 60 completely unorganized.
Most unorganized showcase ever! They should worry more about being organized than their million social media posts. Do not waste your money on this showcase for the fall. All star teams were completely political and college coaches representation was very small
When do the colleges start posting their fall prospect dates?
Good question. The showcases are coming out but when do the individual prospect camps?
You can look at the specific colleges you are interested in on the athletics site for the prospect camps.

They base it off of sign-up sheets the coaches put their names on. So maybe, just maybe YOU didn't see everything.
When does the NLI signing period begin and end for the 2024 class? Never been thru the process and don’t know much about how it works. TIA
Any teams still looking for quality players?
When does the NLI signing period begin and end for the 2024 class? Never been thru the process and don’t know much about how it works. TIA

Verbal commitments on 9/1 except for the Military Academies they can verbal commit now. The actual signing of the NLI can not happen until November of their senior year. They can sign anytime after that up until they go to college.there really is not ending date. Just a start date
Thank you
One more thing regarding NLI. They are only for D1 and D2 student athletes who are awarded athletic scholarships. If you are merit (Academic) only there is no NLI. Ivies and the Academy’s do not offer athletic scholarships so no NLI. Patriot league offers very little athletic money but has a good amount of merit. Most Patriot Leagues students do not sign NLI.
From
My Experience with my 2002 and my sisters boys. Most scholarships are in the merit form.
Are there any supplemental tryouts coming up?
Are any teams in Long Island looking for a 2024 goalie?
or an offensive player?
or an offensive player?

Contact Express or Legacy.
[quote=Anonymous]Are any teams in Long Island looking for a 2024 goalie?
or an offensive player?

Contact Express or Legacy.

People asked. As many are looking for roster spots. Let people decide. They can call get the details and make a decision.
I am a 2026 parent. Asking you all a question regarding recruiting. What should a quality travel team be doing for you son as far as recruiting goes? Can travel coaches talk to college coaches on your behalf? Should there be discussions between club coaches and parents about the process, both in a group setting and 1 on 1? I have a neighbor who has a 2024 son, and he is quite upset about his well known teams complete lack of help and advice.

I want to make sure we are pointed in the right direction, thanks for any thoughts. Murky world.
I am a 2026 parent. Asking you all a question regarding recruiting. What should a quality travel team be doing for you son as far as recruiting goes? Can travel coaches talk to college coaches on your behalf? Should there be discussions between club coaches and parents about the process, both in a group setting and 1 on 1? I have a neighbor who has a 2024 son, and he is quite upset about his well known teams complete lack of help and advice.

I want to make sure we are pointed in the right direction, thanks for any thoughts. Murky world.

This is all from my experiences with my 2022 and his friends families experiences
If your Kid is a top player, meaning that he is getting invited to the elite showcases, things will be fine and the club will assist you without asking. These are the kids who usually pay no tuition or have a discounted one. These kids are also the kids that make the club money by commiting to top tier schools which the club post on line.
If your kid is the next level D1 or D2 or D3 talent but not the best, expect little to no help. However if you reach out to the director they will absolutely assist you and give some guidance. This was my experience. My sons fall of junior year we were still clueless and not sure. I asked the Coach, who happened to be the director for some time to discuss recruiting. He gave us a ton of great advice. If we didn't ask for the conversation, we would have been left in the dark. They will and should help guide you through the process. You and mostly your son need to do the leg work. They will make phone calls for the player but EVERY college coach wants to see the player play and play a lot. No amount of phone calls from a director will sway a college coach, they want to see them play in person. Individual Showcases and Prospect days were our best money spent. Our son got more phone calls and emails from a singular showcase than he did from all the playing the playing he did in tournaments
I agree with what has been posted already and I will come at it in a different angle. I’m making up numbers but trying to give some reference and I also understand there are outliers but There are two factors that are most important:

1) You have to be very honest with your child’s ability as many parents think their child is much better than they actually are. Try to come up with a score from 60-100

2) you have to be very honest with your target list of schools. Break D1 D2 and D3 schools into three tiers (top mid low) and figure out where you think your child can realistically play. A top d3 school may be better than playing for a low D1. Also does your kid actually want to play or just make the team and sit on the bench? Are academics important at all and does the college have their major.

Take #1 and #2 and find out where those circles intersect because it makes your expectations much more manageable

If your child is one of the best at their position (score from 93-100) all of this is moot and colleges will be knocking on their door regardless

If you child is good but not at the top (86-92) some programs will go to bat for them IF #2 expectations are realistic. This tier isn’t going to the Ivies and dukes of the world and clubs won’t help you try to get to those schools. But if you want to go to low-mid tier colleges, they may help.

If your child is <85, I would target a program that actually has a connection at the school they want to go to because they may go to bat especially if your expectations are not high to begin with.

I totally agree that unless you are at the top of your class, you will have to do almost all of the ground work with videos and emailing. You might want to consider not joining any club after your sophomore year and just going to prospect days and showcases and relying on your high school coaches recommendations. But be mindful that your best chance at a prospect day or showcase are the ones you get invited too.

In the end find out what’s best about you but full honesty will be needed, not only about your kids skill but also what colleges he wants to go to. That will drive what club and the importance of that club in your decision making. Sorry this was long.
A couple of Great post above and some great advice for parents who have yet to go through recruiting years. Exactly what this site should be about. Thanks to the parents for your time and efforts in posting. Hopefully, the parents out there will follow some of that very sound advice!

Thank you to parents who take the time to share their experiences with the rest of us. Very helpful and appreciated.
Agree with above and most important advice is make sure you are on a club team that is tops only if you are a best player. MIAA and some Island can get away with a second tier group. Hope this helps and is for boys and girls.
Just wondering if any parents of 2024 can give honest opinions about what showcases were money well spent and which ones were money grabs. I’m not talking about the ones that only elite players are invited to. I’m talking about the ones that are open to everyone. My son is a goalie so the spots usually fill up fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just wondering if any parents of 2024 can give honest opinions about what showcases were money well spent and which ones were money grabs. I’m not talking about the ones that only elite players are invited to. I’m talking about the ones that are open to everyone. My son is a goalie so the spots usually fill up fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Generally any showcase that has a coach from one of your target schools is a good showcase. Do not just show up to showcases hoping a school contacts your son. Make a list of schools that your son thinks he may want to attend Fill out the recruiting form on the website. Follow up with emails and film. Email the coach that you are attend the showcase
Be careful about showcases that have all Asst. Coaches. Most showcases pay the coaches to be there. Sometimes. Not all, but sometimes that is a red flag that it’s not a good showcase. The asst. coaches are there for the cash. Some asst. Coaches have a lot of say in recruiting some do not. Especially the low level (grad student) coaches. Head coaches want to see the recruit play in person. Best to be at a showcase with a HC.
With that said. Every showcase is a different experience for each player. I’ve been to showcases where some thought they were a money grab but I thought it was fantastic because my son got follow up phone calls from coaches. Every path is different sometimes thing s move quickly sometimes they drag out. Stay positive and good luck.

Invites are by far the best and hopefully your club helps you get to some of them. Otherwise I really believe so many of them are money grabs. That being said, I agree with the above that I would go to the ones where it’s either the head coach or the head assistant who is the recruiting coach.

If you are looking for a list, It really depends what level of lacrosse you are looking to play at. For high level, lacrosse masters is expensive but the best schools and usually the head coach. The Players Series usually has high level schools. Prep School Showcase is a good one and I don’t think have to be in a prep school. NXT is also decent. ML8 events are good but some invite only. Spotlight has some good coaches.

If your kid isn’t looking at the the top schools you can look at ones like the STX 3D Rising (D1/D3), Adrenaline Black Card, D3 Fall / Summer Showcase, Q4, Elite 100, Elite 180, EPOCH, New England Small School Showcase, Nee England Top 150, academic aces.

Some of the smaller ones that were just OK as I wasn’t a big fan but may be good if you have targeted schools attending include Showcase at the Shore, Piatelli, Battle by the Bay, Go Fight Win

I don’t know anything about The Victory Showcases, MadLax, Millon ECD

I would try to avoid the ones with “all star teams” as I have found them to be money grabs was anything Apex. Also meh were the Maryland Showcase, any of the Prime Tome (not PrimeTime the club) pre event showcases, and anything from myLacrosseTournaments and CB Laxers was very meh and only cares about Long Island Players and sparsely populated with coaches.

This is just my opinion and I’m trying not to knock showcases as I’m sure many have other experiences. Personally I preferred prospect days but only the ones you were invited to or recommend to go to as they are definitely money grabs.

Invites are by far the best and hopefully your club helps you get to some of them. Otherwise I really believe so many of them are money grabs. That being said, I agree with the above that I would go to the ones where it’s either the head coach or the head assistant who is the recruiting coach.

If you are looking for a list, It really depends what level of lacrosse you are looking to play at. For high level, lacrosse masters is expensive but the best schools and usually the head coach. The Players Series usually has high level schools. Prep School Showcase is a good one and I don’t think have to be in a prep school. NXT is also decent. ML8 events are good but some invite only. Spotlight has some good coaches.

If your kid isn’t looking at the the top schools you can look at ones like the STX 3D Rising (D1/D3), Adrenaline Black Card, D3 Fall / Summer Showcase, Q4, Elite 100, Elite 180, EPOCH, New England Small School Showcase, Nee England Top 150, academic aces.

Some of the smaller ones that were just OK as I wasn’t a big fan but may be good if you have targeted schools attending include Showcase at the Shore, Piatelli, Battle by the Bay, Go Fight Win

I would try to avoid the ones with “all star teams” as I have found them to be money grabs was anything Apex. Also meh were the Maryland Showcase, any of the Prime Tome (not PrimeTime the club) pre event showcases, and anything from myLacrosseTournaments and CB Laxers was very meh and only cares about Long Island Players and sparsely populated with coaches.

This is just my opinion and I’m trying not to knock showcases as I’m sure many have other experiences. Personally I preferred prospect days but only the ones you were invited to or recommend to go to as they are definitely money grabs.
If your kid is a goalie trying to find his way get off this board and contact goaliesmith asap. Look at opportunities vs showcases. Each and everyone serves a purpose, what are your desires, appetite, location and need.
And if a goalie you have to register for all showcases and prospect days first as they are the first position to sell out.

If your kid is a goalie trying to find his way get off this board and contact goaliesmith asap. Look at opportunities vs showcases. Each and everyone serves a purpose, what are your desires, appetite, location and need.

I agree. We have done several goalismith events. They are great. Unfortunately they do weekly training but it’s in Maryland.
Anyone know of pickup games for kids not playing fall sports?
Anyone have any thought on the Long Island elite 80 showcase in November ? It’s pretty expensive
Anyone have any thought on the Long Island elite 80 showcase in November ? It’s pretty expensive
Absolutely insane to charge about $500 for a one-day recruiting event.

You are better off going to the 2 CB Laxer's events in Sept & October as it would be cheaper and you will also get seen by 20 different and more (I see some cross over with the same colleges attending both events such as Stony Brook & Hofstra) division 1 level colleges primarily and a few NESCAC and local Division II programs.

It depends on a ton of different factors. Most of the top schools in the country will be at Elite 80. Have you gotten any feedback from his HS or club coaches that your son is on their radar? Can he compete at the elite level? The competition level at elite 80 and at the CB laxers event is night and day. If you son stands out at the elite 80 event, he’ll be in a great spot moving forward even if he wasn’t previously on any of the coaches recruiting wishlist.

It depends on a ton of different factors. Most of the top schools in the country will be at Elite 80. Have you gotten any feedback from his HS or club coaches that your son is on their radar? Can he compete at the elite level? The competition level at elite 80 and at the CB laxers event is night and day. If you son stands out at the elite 80 event, he’ll be in a great spot moving forward even if he wasn’t previously on any of the coaches recruiting wishlist.

As a gauge, I would say if your son played varsity last year and played meaningful minutes, and plays on an high A level club where he is a starter, it’s probably worth considering
Originally Posted by LaxDad19
Absolutely insane to charge about $500 for a one-day recruiting event.

You are better off going to the 2 CB Laxer's events in Sept & October as it would be cheaper and you will also get seen by 20 different and more (I see some cross over with the same colleges attending both events such as Stony Brook & Hofstra) division 1 level colleges primarily and a few NESCAC and local Division II programs.

Thanks. But most people know the owner of back of the cage is the guy who runs the CB Laxer events

MY older son did Elite 80. Great line up of coaches, some very elite talent, also some kids did not belong. The talent level was mixed. CB Laxer events used to be good. They have not had élite talent at them. Undisputed is still pretty good for the mid tier D1 but the other events are a waste.
My Take on Elite 80 is if your son is a top player on a top club the event is good. But lets be real, Its November of Junior year. These top schools have already made offers to their 1st tier players. By November, they know where the top talent is going, they have moved on to their 2nd and and 3rd tier players ( who happen to be elite also). Also if you have the money and don't mind spending it, you can get some great film from it. They year to be at Elite 80 was in 10th grade.

Yep….that’s why so few of the top players go to this. It’s a lot of money to pay so your kid can have fun.

God forbid they have fun…😂
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/il-evoshield-class-of-2024-top-50-rankings/60210

One Long Island 5 star. The growth of the game is real.
No doubt the game is growing outside of Long Island, but you must take everything Ty Xanders says with a grain of salt since he is a prep school guy most focused on the reclasses from the Baltimore/DC area, and the prep schools. He really does not have a pulse of Long Island, and never has. Plenty of " 5 stars" on the island.
No doubt the game is growing outside of Long Island, but you must take everything Ty Xanders says with a grain of salt since he is a prep school guy most focused on the reclasses from the Baltimore/DC area, and the prep schools. He really does not have a pulse of Long Island, and never has. Plenty of " 5 stars" on the island.

So everyone says that, but his list is a national list. Only four kids from the top from Md/DC.

So everyone says that, but his list is a national list. Only four kids from the top from Md/DC.
Chandick is all LI and even he doesnt have LI 5 stars. A few 4 stars. CT leading the way these days.
Almost every kid is a prep school reclass. One thing that is for sure, it is very hard for on age public school kids to stand out.

Chandick is all LI and even he doesnt have LI 5 stars. A few 4 stars. CT leading the way these days.
How many have an ‘05 or even an ‘04
Birth year very few ‘06
https://[Censored].com/2022/08/26/presenting-the-lilj-boys-class-of-2024-watch-list/

Is this guy kidding with this list? There are kids on it from our HS that don't even play, and we are by no means a powerhouse. How would a player like that land on this list?
Birth year very few ‘06
all the CT kids are on age.
https://[Censored].com/2022/08/26/presenting-the-lilj-boys-class-of-2024-watch-list/

Is this guy kidding with this list? There are kids on it from our HS that don't even play, and we are by no means a powerhouse. How would a player like that land on this list?

It looks like this list is all the kids on their Varsity teams last year.
Birth year very few ‘06

Definitely not. Being from CT I would say the majority of the good Prep School kids are NOT on age. Public probably, Prep no. Reclass central. Or maybe the post was being sarcastic?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/arti...gnating99AdditionalFourStarPlayers/60215

Best of the rest. Very spread out around the country. Hope you all enjoy this recruiting season. All the players should have a good gauge now what level they should be looking at based on the rankings and what interest your son has received already.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/arti...gnating99AdditionalFourStarPlayers/60215

Best of the rest. Very spread out around the country. Hope you all enjoy this recruiting season. All the players should have a good gauge now what level they should be looking at based on the rankings and what interest your son has received already.

If my son is recruited by 4 top ten teams and didn't make this list we should stop talks?
Almost every kid is a prep school reclass. One thing that is for sure, it is very hard for on age public school kids to stand out.

Found deeper packets.
My son is on one of the 3 top teams on LI. I have to say the complete lack of recruiting advice is shocking. Buyer beware. If I had a younger son in this organization I would switch immediately. No point naming it. If I could do it all over again, we started in 5th grade, I would have asked the recruitable parents back then if the coaches and directors were any help.
Birth year very few ‘06

Definitely not. Being from CT I would say the majority of the good Prep School kids are NOT on age. Public probably, Prep no. Reclass central. Or maybe the post was being sarcastic?
Ok, Im not being sarcastic, Im talking about the 5 stars from CT from both IL and NLF player rankings being on age. Glad you're from CT but do you play against any of the ranked kids. They are all very good and very on age. Yes across the rest of the list CT has a large population of Prep school hold backs but the facts are facts and the 5 stars in question are on age. 2 of them go to public school and 2 go to Prep school but are on age.
My son is on one of the 3 top teams on LI. I have to say the complete lack of recruiting advice is shocking. Buyer beware. If I had a younger son in this organization I would switch immediately. No point naming it. If I could do it all over again, we started in 5th grade, I would have asked the recruitable parents back then if the coaches and directors were any help.

Let me guess - the one with 35 kids on the roster
Birth year very few ‘06

My son is on the list. October 2005 birthday. Are you trying to tell me he isn't on age?
Depends what state you are from and what state the people who are saying he is not on age are from. The year cut offs are different.

Yup. This seems to be more the norm. Totally agree. Our club gave a talk last year on how many connections they had at the beginning of the season and then it crickets from there on out. The coach actually told the kids to stop spamming him with their emails.
Birth year very few ‘06

Ok, Im not being sarcastic, Im talking about the 5 stars from CT from both IL and NLF player rankings being on age. Glad you're from CT but do you play against any of the ranked kids. They are all very good and very on age. Yes across the rest of the list CT has a large population of Prep school hold backs but the facts are facts and the 5 stars in question are on age. 2 of them go to public school and 2 go to Prep school but are on age.

The majority of prep kids are reclassed. Brunswick Taft Hotchkiss. The Massachusetts prep kids are also reclassed. Probably the same for NY prep. Even LI is jumping on the reclass bandwagon. That is a fact. Kudos to the #1 Cheshire public kid for being on age though. Half of my kids team are all reclass and they are all prep school. The other half are public and are on age.

It looks like this list is all the kids on their Varsity teams last year.

Shouldn't that be a requirement?

Adding kids in a year when you need your kids seen is a joke. We all know the team...its been the same complaint for years. 35 kids? Is that for real?
You know it is not Legacy as no one is more active in the recruiting process than TZ. He has helped more non legacy kids get recruited than some of their own programs.
Agree ..L
You know it is not Legacy as no one is more active in the recruiting process than TZ. He has helped more non legacy kids get recruited than some of their own programs.

The result ms are impressive. And look at how many kids in the top 150 are from his club.
91 has 8 kids but includes a 23 & kid from PA
Express has 5 kids
Taz has 4 kids with one holdback & a kid who has played on all 3 clubs

How can you say they did the best job?

The Parents should demand they make two teams. Will not get seen sitting on the bench.
[quote=Anonymous]91 has 8 kids but includes a 23 & kid from PA
Express has 5 kids

All 3 teams have beat Eclipse and they have 8 players..
91 has 8 kids but includes a 23 & kid from PA
Express has 5 kids

How can you say they did the best job?

The game is played in so many states by 1000s of kids. Being on the list is a great accomplishment. But it seems the best way to get on it is to be a club that plays and succeeds at a major events. Can a top 100 player be on another LI club not mentioned above, absolutely. But those clubs need to work harder at getting into the correct events and getting the correct exposure. For example, look at the NLF summer championship or Naptown. Why isn’t every LI team trying to play in those events?
Come on let’s be clear only the top nlf players get top calls. If you don’t play there or nal chances are tight and you got up hill battle. Go top brand name. Nobody looking elsewhere. Pay up for a reason. 2 options on island but really one. Don’t play dice to hard.

The Parents should demand they make two teams. Will not get seen sitting on the bench.

express parents been complaining for years about this. And they added to the roster - in the final year - AGAIN! Its comical.
How is the Elite Lacrosse Invitational in November? Are there many D1 coaches there?
Over 100 committed D1 recruits already, wow!.

express parents been complaining for years about this. And they added to the roster - in the final year - AGAIN! Its comical.

LOL they can make 3 teams with that roster! $$$$$$

MS has 7 out of 35 kids recruited he should be fired..

It’s 1 month into the process and this is how it goes. Yes, there is a lot of kids recruited already, my guess 150ish or more based on IL. But landing a commitment is way more competitive. Please look at the amount of states represented on the current commit list.

35???
That's 150k in fees for one year, for just the A team. How many on the B team?
Maybe 5 fall practices? 2-3 fall one day tournaments. This team doesn't play in the winter. 3-4 summer tournaments with maybe 5 more practices? It's actually comical that people sign up for this. The other 2 LI teams at this age group have well over 1/2 of their teams committed. They provide advice. I know these parents, and they are NOT happy with anything that has happened. ZERO ADVICE

35???
Maybe 5 fall practices? 2-3 fall one day tournaments. This team doesn't play in the winter. 3-4 summer tournaments with maybe 5 more practices? It's actually comical that people sign up for this. The other 2 LI teams at this age group have well over 1/2 of their teams committed. They provide advice. I know these parents, and they are NOT happy with anything that has happened. ZERO ADVICE

It’s also a case of reality. Kids can be excepting calls schools they will never be committed to. Or attending prospect days that are reaches.

35???

buyer beware....
What are the Colleges really giving for Scholarships ?
200 juniors recruited in September. Wow!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/arti...ts-to-brown-unc-princeton-syracuse/60286

Depends on the school and the player. Not every school is fully funded with the max amount of scholarships. My 2022 got 25 % athletic stacked with 40 percent merit (academic). That’s to a mid tier school. My 2023 Nephew got 33% (all academic) from a patriot league school. He had offers up to 75 percent stacked to other schools Some of my sons teammates got out 70-75% stacked. The better the school usually means less money on the academic side but not always. Depends on the player / student. I also know kids that my son played with that got very little.
Majority are coming from prep school or will be attending one after graduation.

They are all different and it’s mostly combo packages for D1 and D2. But depends on the school, but it is enough to make a difference. These coaches have offer packages to lane recruits. Having a successful program is everything. Think about it, it’s how they put food on the table.

Depends on the school and the player. Not every school is fully funded with the max amount of scholarships. My 2022 got 25 % athletic stacked with 40 percent merit (academic). That’s to a mid tier school. My 2023 Nephew got 33% (all academic) from a patriot league school. He had offers up to 75 percent stacked to other schools Some of my sons teammates got out 70-75% stacked. The better the school usually means less money on the academic side but not always. Depends on the player / student. I also know kids that my son played with that got very little.

My son got everything paid by an athletic scholarship, except room and board, and an NIL deal and academic incentive money, at a major D1 program. In the end, prob won’t cost us a dime.

My son got everything paid by an athletic scholarship, except room and board, and an NIL deal and academic incentive money, at a major D1 program. In the end, prob won’t cost us a dime.

Kind of obnoxious reply. Yay! Good for your son and you! Is he “on age” ?

That is more the exception than the norm. I think poster was asking what is the general consensus of what schools give in scholarship $s. Not necessarily the top 1 percent of players who are also getting NIL deals. Those players are probably 2 to 3 years older?.

Also, Did they pay a prep school for 2 to 3 years? How much did that cost? Also “ big johnnys “ training over the years? How much? College may not cost a dime for some, but it certainly already probably cost a pretty penny over the years.

And the earlier your son is recruited I assume the better.

That is more the exception than the norm. I think poster was asking what is the general consensus of what schools give in scholarship $s. Not necessarily the top 1 percent of players who are also getting NIL deals. Those players are probably 2 to 3 years older?.

Also, Did they pay a prep school for 2 to 3 years? How much did that cost? Also “ big johnnys “ training over the years? How much? College may not cost a dime for some, but it certainly already probably cost a pretty penny over the years.

Obnoxious? The question was, what are colleges giving for scholarships? I simply answered the persons question. The fact is, there is a misconception about lacrosse scholarships. People such as yourself spread the rumor that there aren’t any or if there is, they are minuscule. That’s not my experience. And I know of several other kids that got similar deals. So contrary to popular opinion, there are good scholarships being had out there. And they aren’t all reserved for 5 stars. For the record, my kid is not a holdback and not a prep school kid. Just a typical 100% on age LI Public school kid, Good luck to the original poster. If your kids very good, and you do the top showcases, the coaches will find them. College coaches love finding kids that are slightly under the radar of most coaches. Less competition for getting the kid. Don’t get discouraged. There’s more than a year left to the recruiting process.

Obnoxious? The question was, what are colleges giving for scholarships? I simply answered the persons question. The fact is, there is a misconception about lacrosse scholarships. People such as yourself spread the rumor that there aren’t any or if there is, they are minuscule. That’s not my experience. And I know of several other kids that got similar deals. So contrary to popular opinion, there are good scholarships being had out there. And they aren’t all reserved for 5 stars. For the record, my kid is not a holdback and not a prep school kid. Just a typical 100% on age LI Public school kid, Good luck to the original poster. If your kids very good, and you do the top showcases, the coaches will find them. College coaches love finding kids that are slightly under the radar of most coaches. Less competition for getting the kid. Don’t get discouraged. There’s more than a year left to the recruiting process.

That’s great, and congratulations to your son. He must be in the top 1% of recruits? (To get that kind of deal) . Just don’t want the other 99% to think that’s the typical recruiting situation. What’s the average scholarship $s one can hope to get for a good player, Not the 1% situation. More people are in that boat and will not have your experience.

From my experience’s, the average is between 30 and 65%. That’s combo athletic and merit. There are players like the above poster who do very well and on the flip side there are players who get very little. All said there is a wide spectrum. It Depends on how well your kid markets himself to the coaches Every school is different in terms of what they have to offer. It comes down to how much the coach wants him. Even then like a poster above said. His Nephew turned down more money for a school he wanted. There is absolutely a good amount of money out there in all Divisions.
WHAT ARE THE TOP SHOWCASES?

And the earlier your son is recruited I assume the better.

Yes but not necessarily. Depends on the individual needs of each team. Example: After 6 months, a top team has their prize recruit decommit and go somewhere else. That coach had planned to give that kid a bundle. But now no kid and the $’s are available. But now a lot of the top recruits are committed already. That coach has a roster spot to fill and cash to go along with it. That’s just one scenario. There are others.
Where there college coaches watching the games yesterday at the One Percent Challenge?
WHAT ARE THE TOP SHOWCASES?

Showtime
Mainstage
Juniors Open
UnD1sputed Showcase
Nlf futures at IMG? Is it worth it?
Does anyone use CaptainU as a recruiting hammerhead? The amount of messages about coaches messaging us is insane - almost feel like paying to see what is actually going on? Appreciate any insight.
Does anyone use CaptainU as a recruiting hammerhead? The amount of messages about coaches messaging us is insane - almost feel like paying to see what is actually going on? Appreciate any insight.

Most Coaches do not use recruiting websites to recruit. With my older kids, I was told to stay away from them, MONEY GRAB!!!! if you are on Facebook, there is a great page by Rene Lopez. its called " Educating parents of HS Athlete's on the college recruiting process" She also has a great book about recruiting. although the Facebook page has all the info that is in the book.

It depends on the talent level of your kid. If you are aiming for a mid-high level D1 or high D3 do not bother. The coaches do not use them. If your kid is a low-mid D2, low d1, or low-mid D3 talent level, it may actually help. I think this holds for all recruiting sites. CaptainU seems to be used less than sports recruits:ConnectLax or ncsa.

Most Coaches do not use recruiting websites to recruit. With my older kids, I was told to stay away from them, MONEY GRAB!!!! if you are on Facebook, there is a great page by Rene Lopez. its called " Educating parents of HS Athlete's on the college recruiting process" She also has a great book about recruiting. although the Facebook page has all the info that is in the book.

We just finished our process a couple of weeks ago. We used Connectlax and IMLCA and they definitely helped and were used by most of the coaches. I’d agree that some don’t use them, but from my experience, most did use them. Some even asked for a link to those websites, as part of their questionnaires. I would definitely recommend that people use these services.
Since the 2024’s are now upperclassmen, many will be playing a big part in the success (or failure) of their HS varsity teams. Which HS teams will have the strongest crop of 2024’s?
My big takeaways from the recruiting process for my son who is a high school senior and will be playing D2 next year are:

- Start with making a list of schools that your son/daughter wants to attend and then start doing events they will be at. Make sure you are checking their sites for prospect days and go to those. Even better if you can get to events hosted by a college with a few other in attendance. School based events have a lot less kids and increases your chances for exposure assuming your kid plays well. The events listed by others seemed to be money grabs to me and I was amazed by how many parents run all over the country to these events.

- Reach out to coaches before any event. Going in there among 200 - 400 players unknown to any coaches will really limit your chances of getting any recognition or call backs.

- You will start getting emails from college coaches that you never heard of. Write back to them instead of never responding. Your kid is probably not the next Paul Rabil like they think they are. You will start seeing these schools/coaches at tournaments and showcases. As a matter of fact you will see more of these schools you never considered than you will see schools like duke. Its not a bad idea to have a relationship with as many coaches as possible as it will give you leverage when it comes down to trying to get cheapest possible tuition. My son visited a couple campuses and would have been happy going and playing at several of them even though they were not on his original list of target schools.

- Recruiting sites do get used by coaches. Get video up there. We used Sports Recruits/IMCLA and our phones were constantly pinging with coaches looking at video on that site and reaching out. CaptainU was a waste of money in my humble opinion.

- To save yourself money video tape everything yourself. Video is important.

- Even though my son didn't start playing lacrosse until later, the first and constant thing they would ask is "How are your grades". This is lacrosse and not a money making sport so they want to give you "Merit" money instead of Athletic money which is more limited. If your grades are good then you have a little better edge than a kid with the same skill level but crappy grades. My son got half off sticker price in Merit aid and then I negotiated some athletic money on top of that. If your not the top 10% player then you need good grades.

- The most important thing is YOU need to do the legwork. Unless you are the top 10%, your club coaches and these mass showcase events are all just money grabs. Unfortunately that's the lacrosse market so it is what it is. This sport is setup to take parents money unlike any I have seen. Club coach's will probably make calls for you if you ask them and will certainly take a call from a college coach but they don't spend all their free time out there looking for schools for their players. They have a life so once again, YOU need to do the leg work, get in front of your target schools coach and then hope your kid plays well in front of him.
Thanks. When did he start getting verbal offers?
For my son it was during the spring/summer season before this year(senior). One thing that is funny is there is nothing formal. Coaches reach out to kids and mostly done through text messages. You will have coaches just call them and say you can play on my team if you want. Then I guess the coaches just wait and see who actually applies to their school.
For my son it was during the spring/summer season before this year(senior). One thing that is funny is there is nothing formal. Coaches reach out to kids and mostly done through text messages. You will have coaches just call them and say you can play on my team if you want. Then I guess the coaches just wait and see who actually applies to their school.

The recruiting services will get your kid a lot of looks from some of D1 and D3 schools that are not highly ranked (acc, b10, etc) or high academic (NESCAC). But with 425+ lacrosse there are plenty of schools that may reach you through those services.

Timing will depend on the talent level as well as the connections of your kid. High d1 is mostly Sep-Dec before junior year. D2 seems to be constant and at all times. D3 started reaching out late winter/early spring but commitments happening not until late June/ July. Then it slows down drastically after July but still a smattering of D1 d2 d3 all making reach outs even through now.
Are there any good academic D2 schools which give a lot of money for lax or academic?
Are there any good academic D2 schools which give a lot of money for lax or academic?

All D2 schools give good money. the problem with D2 is, most of the schools are small with an average ranking. Not many, if any, are considered high academic. D2 is good fo the average student with good lacrosse skills. They stack athletic and merit. My sons friend (2023) got 75% from a Westchester school. Our Neighbor got 80% from a Rockland County school. D2 is a favorite of Canadian kids because of the amount of money that is giving. Not saying Canadian's don't play on every level, just saying a lot play at the D2 schools.
If your kid can get into an elite school go for it, if your son is an average student who wants a college educaton, look at Pace, Adelphi or down south Tampa etc.... not bad schools, just not elite. They all give big money.
D2 is a great opportunity in many ways. D1 rosters are so much harder to make these days. Lost the list they just released the final rankings for the 2022 class and only 9 long islanders are on it. This initial push of commits is at the tail end for this group heading into November. Keep all options open, I would avoid the D1 or bust mentality.

All D2 schools give good money. the problem with D2 is, most of the schools are small with an average ranking. Not many, if any, are considered high academic. D2 is good fo the average student with good lacrosse skills. They stack athletic and merit. My sons friend (2023) got 75% from a Westchester school. Our Neighbor got 80% from a Rockland County school. D2 is a favorite of Canadian kids because of the amount of money that is giving. Not saying Canadian's don't play on every level, just saying a lot play at the D2 schools.
If your kid can get into an elite school go for it, if your son is an average student who wants a college educaton, look at Pace, Adelphi or down south Tampa etc.... not bad schools, just not elite. They all give big money.
Thank you

I agree with the D2 comments. Bentley seems to be the best S2 academic option out there but they are typically ranked for lax.

Does anyone have a true count of what clubs have the most Verbal commitments?
At this point in the game who cares what club has how many commitments, Are you looking to switch clubs now? That would be foolish if so. Also, if your kid can play they’ll be a spot for him somewhere. If you’re just starting out in elementary school that is possibly something to consider but not now IMO.

Does anyone have a true count of what clubs have the most Verbal commitments?

It’s all on the Inside Lacrosse website.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/club/2024/2022

Legacy - 17
Wolfpack - 14
Express - 7
D2 is a great opportunity in many ways. D1 rosters are so much harder to make these days. Lost the list they just released the final rankings for the 2022 class and only 9 long islanders are on it. This initial push of commits is at the tail end for this group heading into November. Keep all options open, I would avoid the D1 or bust mentality.

Pease ignore the IL rankings. As already stated on here, they are done by a guy from MD who spends 90% of his time watching MD prep school games. Doesn’t step foot on Long Island unless it’s for a championship game. His rankings are a total joke and an insult to every lacrosse player in the country, outside of his beloved MD rich kid prep schools.
At this point in the game who cares what club has how many commitments, Are you looking to switch clubs now? That would be foolish if so. Also, if your kid can play they’ll be a spot for him somewhere. If you’re just starting out in elementary school that is possibly something to consider but not now IMO.

Bro, calm down. Dude is just curious. I know that basically all of the starters for Legacy and 91 are committed. Many committed to top D1 programs, but many committed to lower level D1’s too. Probably better off with a high level D3 team and high academic, than low level D1 program and low level academic. Chasing that D1 dream.

Bro, calm down. Dude is just curious. I know that basically all of the starters for Legacy and 91 are committed. Many committed to top D1 programs, but many committed to lower level D1’s too. Probably better off with a high level D3 team and high academic, than low level D1 program and low level academic. Chasing that D1 dream.

TAZ 17, 91 7, LIE 7.

TAZ 17, 91 7, LIE 7.

IL reports 14 D1 players committed for 91. You saying that’s not correct or just stirring the pot?

TAZ 17, 91 7, LIE 7.

IL reports 14 D1 players committed for 91. You saying that’s not correct or just stirring the pot?

91 website says 7..

Very true. The top D1 schools never have their starting line off the field and everyone else rides the pine for 4 years. The rest of the D1 schools do not compare to the top D3 in academics. Top D3 attracts highly talented D1 level education driven students.

TAZ 17, 91 7, LIE 7.

91 website says 7..

91 website not updated in several weeks. IL information is up to date.

Very true. The top D1 schools never have their starting line off the field and everyone else rides the pine for 4 years. The rest of the D1 schools do not compare to the top D3 in academics. Top D3 attracts highly talented D1 level education driven students.

While what you say makes sense, the reality is, it’s not true. Top D3 programs do NOT attract top level D1 talent. Absolutely does not happen. Top D1 talent goes to top D1 programs that are usually top level academic institutions. Top D3 programs, like Tufts, pickup D1 players as transfers, after the players figure out that they aren’t going to get any playing time, on the D1 team that they are playing for.

People always say this, but it just isn't true generally -- academically, there are more "good" D1 schools than D3 schools, especially when you're talking about schools with varsity lacrosse teams.

D1 has seven Ivies, UNC, Duke, ND, UVA, UNC, Michigan, Hopkins, Georgetown, Patriot League schools, etc. D3 you've got MIT, Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, and a few other pretty good small schools. D1 wins this one handily.

People always say this, but it just isn't true generally -- academically, there are more "good" D1 schools than D3 schools, especially when you're talking about schools with varsity lacrosse teams.

D1 has seven Ivies, UNC, Duke, ND, UVA, UNC, Michigan, Hopkins, Georgetown, Patriot League schools, etc. D3 you've got MIT, Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, and a few other pretty good small schools. D1 wins this one handily.

It is more so that most start out with D1 expectations and realize that it very difficult and choose a high academic/highly competitive D3 school after D1 is not happening. Go watch some high D3 and D2 lacrosse in person. Those teams are really good and they all three levels play for a championship on Memorial Day weekend.

While I agree with most of your point, there are far more than a few good D3 schools. There are a lot. Bowdoin, Middlebury, Bates, W&L… the list is long.

It is more so that most start out with D1 expectations and realize that it very difficult and choose a high academic/highly competitive D3 school after D1 is not happening. Go watch some high D3 and D2 lacrosse in person. Those teams are really good and they all three levels play for a championship on Memorial Day weekend.

100% accurate. Top level recruits are playing on top D1 programs without a single exception. Not one. However, if your son hasn’t been recruited by a D1 program yet, but likely will be in the next phase of recruits, considering one of the top D3 schools is a great option. He will be able to get to a tier 1 school with an extremely good D3 team. In my opinion, that’s a great place to be. If he stays on the D1 path, more than likely he will end up with a substandard academic school and lax team with a high probability that he will be collecting splinters for 4 years. And at the end of all this, is your kid going to be put on a better path with either Amherst or Williams… or Marist??

100% accurate. Top level recruits are playing on top D1 programs without a single exception. Not one. However, if your son hasn’t been recruited by a D1 program yet, but likely will be in the next phase of recruits, considering one of the top D3 schools is a great option. He will be able to get to a tier 1 school with an extremely good D3 team. In my opinion, that’s a great place to be. If he stays on the D1 path, more than likely he will end up with a substandard academic school and lax team with a high probability that he will be collecting splinters for 4 years. And at the end of all this, is your kid going to be put on a better path with either Amherst or Williams… or Marist??

Totally agree with this. Too many times have people chosen the lacrosse route over the academic route and I never understood why. As the old saying goes, don’t make short term decisions with long term consequences and choosing schools purely on the basis of lacrosse is sometimes a short term decision especially if you end up riding the pine.
© US Lacrosse Community Forum