@BackOfTheCAGE
Hilarious how serious some people take this girls LAX recruiting landscape. The coaches must giggle about the LAX parents when they get together.
Admittedly, I was there once and have since had an epiphany.

Anyone who looks at girls LAX as anything more than a hook to get into a school you might not have otherwise been accepted to is kidding themselves. There is no sustainable future at this point in girls LAX after college unless you plan to go in to professional coaching, club ownership, or event operation. Contrary to some popular belief and generally speaking, there is no significant scholarship money for non revenue generating college athletics unless you are at the tippy top of the pyramid (maybe top 10%). If Title IX did not exist there would not even be a discussion about this. There is way more scholarship money for students than there is for athletes. If one of your primary goals with your student athlete is getting athletic scholarship funds, I would strongly suggest you dump $10K a year into tutors instead of girls LAX. I guarantee the ROI will be much better. I have not completed this process and frankly don't care if we do or don't. Club LAX or No LAX and a great college experience for my mine would be just fine. For all the opinions on this forum, I sure don't see a lot of discussion on ROI and what the actual PWO and athletic scholarship contracts look like. In fact, many people start clamming up if you are bold enough to ask them about it after a player commits and announces on social media. I see many commitments and only a very few with PWO mentioned when in fact it is probably the majority that are PWOs. I have spoken to enough people to understand that very few girls get any significant athletic money. Seems like the top few in each recruiting class and a couple goalies on each team consume the majority of the 12 scholarships available in a fully funded program. When I put pen to paper and break this down, the results always look the same no mater how I try to slice it up. 12 scholarships for 30-40 girls means there is close to nothing available for probably 60%-70% of the D1 commits. In theory, if a coach is doing it right, her 15-18 primary players that see the field are probably receiving the vast majority of scholarship funds. I would love to hear from some folks who have had 1st hand experience with one or more of their daughters.

All that being said, once you get past the top 10% of players, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 kids per year its all a crapshoot. The stars need to align and there is a PWO spot ready for just about every player depending on how badly they want to "continue their education and athletic careers". Once a family realizes their player is not in the 10% club and her life dream is not necessarily to play college lacrosse ...... getting the player into a school she wants to go to whether that path includes LAX or not should be the goal.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Put it in perspective!!! -
Originally Posted by SAT1234
Hilarious how serious some people take this girls LAX recruiting landscape. The coaches must giggle about the LAX parents when they get together.

Anyone who looks at girls LAX as anything more than a hook to get into a school you might not have otherwise been accepted to is kidding themselves. There is no sustainable future at this point in girls LAX after college unless you plan to go in to professional coaching, club ownership, or event operation. Contrary to some popular belief and generally speaking, there is no significant scholarship money for non revenue generating college athletics unless you are at the tippy top of the pyramid (maybe top 10%). If Title IX did not exist there would not even be a discussion about this. There is way more scholarship money for students than there is for athletes. If one of your primary goals with your student athlete is getting athletic scholarship funds, I would strongly suggest you dump $10K a year into tutors instead of girls LAX. I guarantee the ROI will be much better. I have not completed this process and frankly don't care if we do or don't. Club LAX or No LAX and a great college experience for my mine would be just fine. For all the opinions on this forum, I sure don't see a lot of discussion on ROI and what the actual PWO and athletic scholarship contracts look like. In fact, many people start clamming up if you are bold enough to ask them about it after a player commits and announces on social media. I see many commitments and only a very few with PWO mentioned when in fact it is probably the majority that are PWOs. I have spoken to enough people to understand that very few girls get any significant athletic money. Seems like the top few in each recruiting class and a couple goalies on each team consume the majority of the 12 scholarships available in a fully funded program. When I put pen to paper and break this down, the results always look the same no mater how I try to slice it up. 12 scholarships for 30-40 girls means there is close to nothing available for probably 60%-70% of the D1 commits. In theory, if a coach is doing it right, her 15-18 primary players that see the field are probably receiving the vast majority of scholarship funds. I would love to hear from some folks who have had 1st hand experience with one or more of their daughters.

All that being said, once you get past the top 10% of players, which is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 kids per year its all a crapshoot. The stars need to align and there is a PWO spot ready for just about every player depending on how badly they want to "continue their education and athletic careers". Once a family realizes their player is not in the 10% club and her life dream is not necessarily to play college lacrosse ...... getting the player into a school she wants to go to whether that path includes LAX or not should be the goal.

Is this breaking news? You wasted a lot of timr restating the obvious that was known
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Is this breaking news? You wasted a lot of timr restating the obvious that was known

"...getting the player into a school she wants to go to whether that path includes LAX or not should be the goal." Could have saved all the time and energy coming up with the manifesto and just typed your last sentence.
I can tell you from someone who just went through this. I’m thrilled my daughter is committed to her first choice and was able to visit several amazing schools before deciding. I am also very glad we don’t have to go through all the political BS we had to endure especially the past year. What a racket youth lacrosse is. My daughters mental health suffered last year do to all the issue that goes on. My advice is to keep fighting through any setbacks and know that only you have your daughters best interests in mind. Good luck!

Sounds like you went into this whole lacrosse thing without a true understanding of what it's all about.

Very few parents and players that I know made the commitment to purse this avenue with the goal of being awarded a big scholarship. Lacrosse has always been a means to an end, while all along the way the players get all of the benefits of playing a team sport, many life lessons, develop life long friendships and learn to live an active healthy lifestyle.

Athletes are not excluded from academic money... it is possible to be an excellent student as well as a great athlete.

You seem to be caught up on this PWO stuff, and I am not sure that you have an understanding of the term. Players who are recruited by coaches and "commit" are not "PWO's" they are recruited athletes. A PWO would be a player who is not recruited by the coach but applies to and is accepted by the University and asks for a tryout or to be on the team. There are few if any PWO's at competitive programs. By your definition, All DIII players would be considered POW's, I guess you would consider all Ivy players POW's as well, there are also teams that are not fully funded so I guess you would consider the majority of those players POW's.

Here is an example of how the 12 scholarships could be broken up:

Coaches do not giggle. College coaches are extremely serious about their job and recruiting just might be the most important part of their job (especially at the more competitive programs).

3 scholarships total for the recruiting class.

8 recruits.

#1 recruit gets 75%
#2 recruit gets 50%
#3 recruit gets 40%
#4 recruit gets 35%
#5 recruit gets 25%
#6 recruit gets 25%
#7 recruit gets 25%
#8 recruit gets 25%

or any other combination .

Once a player is on the team, the coach could care less who has the $$, the best kids play. Most college coaches will not decrease a scholarship but they will increase if earned.

Of course the goal should be to help your daughter to get into a school that she wants to go to, if any of my kids could get into Harvard without playing lacrosse I think they would jump at the opportunity.

Sounds like you went into this whole lacrosse thing without a true understanding of what it's all about.

Very few parents and players that I know made the commitment to purse this avenue with the goal of being awarded a big scholarship. Lacrosse has always been a means to an end, while all along the way the players get all of the benefits of playing a team sport, many life lessons, develop life long friendships and learn to live an active healthy lifestyle.

Athletes are not excluded from academic money... it is possible to be an excellent student as well as a great athlete.

You seem to be caught up on this PWO stuff, and I am not sure that you have an understanding of the term. Players who are recruited by coaches and "commit" are not "PWO's" they are recruited athletes. A PWO would be a player who is not recruited by the coach but applies to and is accepted by the University and asks for a tryout or to be on the team. There are few if any PWO's at competitive programs. By your definition, All DIII players would be considered POW's, I guess you would consider all Ivy players POW's as well, there are also teams that are not fully funded so I guess you would consider the majority of those players POW's.

Coaches do not giggle. College coaches are extremely serious about their job and recruiting just might be the most important part of their job (especially at the more competitive programs).

8 recruits.

#1 recruit gets 75%
#2 recruit gets 50%
#3 recruit gets 40%
#4 recruit gets 35%
#5 recruit gets 25%
#6 recruit gets 25%
#7 recruit gets 25%
#8 recruit gets 25%

Once a player is on the team, the coach could care less who has the $$, the best kids play. Most college coaches will not decrease a scholarship but they will increase if earned.

Of course the goal should be to help your daughter to get into a school that she wants to go to, if any of my kids could get into Harvard without playing lacrosse I think they would jump at the opportunity.

Uh, no. A PWO (Preferred Walk-On) is a player that the school recruited but isn't offering scholarship money. They are not trying out, they are guaranteed a jersey. A good example would be Hunter Renfrow at Clemson. He never got an athletic scholarship, only academic. Walk-on players try-out, PWOs are already on the team.
I don't understand what is wrong about putting more of a priority on the lacrosse. Sure, it is not going to become a career, but for those who play D1- lacrosse is going to be a significant (and really cool) part of their college experience. And there are so many lacrosse schools with quality academic reputations- it is not like we are talking about settling for Podunk U just for a chance to play a couple more years.

8 recruits.

#1 recruit gets 75%
#2 recruit gets 50%
#3 recruit gets 40%
#4 recruit gets 35%
#5 recruit gets 25%
#6 recruit gets 25%
#7 recruit gets 25%
#8 recruit gets 25%

Uh, no. A PWO (Preferred Walk-On) is a player that the school recruited but isn't offering scholarship money. They are not trying out, they are guaranteed a jersey. A good example would be Hunter Renfrow at Clemson. He never got an athletic scholarship, only academic. Walk-on players try-out, PWOs are already on the team.

8 recruits.

#1 recruit gets 75%
#2 recruit gets 50%
#3 recruit gets 40%
#4 recruit gets 35%
#5 recruit gets 25%
#6 recruit gets 25%
#7 recruit gets 25%
#8 recruit gets 25%

I think the post you are responding to is trying to say that recruit lacrosse players are not considered walk ons.
PWO is a DI football term , not really applicable to women’s lacrosse. Women’s lacrosse is an “equivalency sport”, scholarships are generally broken up into dollar amounts based of of the total cost to attend the school. Football has 80+ Scholarships and they are not broken up, the scholarship is for total cost to attend. There are DI programs that don’t even have 12 scholarships and as the previous post pointed out the Ivy’s and DIII that do not offer any scholarships. I have never heard a college lacrosse coach (men’s or women’s) refer to a recruit as a Preferred Walk On. IMHO, the original post was implying that pretty much anybody could go play DI if you were willing to do it without a scholarship. Very typical in the lacrosse world that people will try to diminish someone’s accomplishment for example “did you hear the news? Jane is going to Northwestern”. “Yeah, she’s only a walk on, she will never see the field”. As if being recruited by Northwestern (even without being offered a scholarship) is easy. Yes, very typical of lacrosse parents.

8 recruits.

#1 recruit gets 75%
#2 recruit gets 50%
#3 recruit gets 40%
#4 recruit gets 35%
#5 recruit gets 25%
#6 recruit gets 25%
#7 recruit gets 25%
#8 recruit gets 25%

Although I am less familiar with the girls/women's side when it comes to recruiting, I am very familiar (as a coach) with the boy's/men's side and never once while helping HS athletes go through the recruiting process and talking with many college coaches has a college coach ever called one of the players they were actively recruiting as a PWO even though I worked with many players who were not being offered a scholarship.

8 recruits.

#1 recruit gets 75%
#2 recruit gets 50%
#3 recruit gets 40%
#4 recruit gets 35%
#5 recruit gets 25%
#6 recruit gets 25%
#7 recruit gets 25%
#8 recruit gets 25%

Although I am less familiar with the girls/women's side when it comes to recruiting, I am very familiar (as a coach) with the boy's/men's side and never once while helping HS athletes go through the recruiting process and talking with many college coaches has a college coach ever called one of the players they were actively recruiting as a PWO even though I worked with many players who were not being offered a scholarship.

Just because you didn't hear the term in the sport doesn't mean the concept doesn't exist. Students get massive scholarship and grant money to attend in-state schools that are usually already lower cost for them. When recruiting players from in-state, the grants, etc, are used so that the athletic money can be used to secure athletes from out of state that otherwise wouldn't, or couldn't, come to the school due to cost or money offered from other schools. Those in-state recruits are not "walking on" to any team; they have a spot before they get there.

"We can't give you athletic money, but we'll find you academic money and guarantee you a jersey" is the same as "You'll be a PWO and be guaranteed a jersey."

Almost every college sport includes no "no sustainable future". Does cross country, rowing, badminton, swimming etc provide "sustainable futures". This is not breaking news and you are surely not a recruiting savant.
I agree with you but there are definitely some that might say that playing D1 sports is closer to a job. Its really cool to work to work at a happening night club too, its still a job.
I did not say this was breaking news and obviously all college sports with very few exceptions for a very small percentage of athletes do not have sustainable futures after college, but last time I checked this was a LAX forum and it never occurred to me that someone would be silly enough to think I should name every sport to convey ancient thoughts.
Thanks, I actually thought PWO was paid walk on - as in fully paid tuition room and board walkon - I love you guys and this forum, i have learned so much
thanks, i did not know this and it makes total sense that schools use more athletic funds to attract out of state athletes vs. in state
Bottom line, as everyone knows well, kids should be hitting the books, enjoy the college search process, pick their right academic fit, lacrosse is icing on the cake.
© US Lacrosse Community Forum