@BackOfTheCAGE
Use this thread to discuss lacrosse pertaining to Girls 2028 (6th Graders) & Fall 2021/Summer 2022 season.
lot of things must be confusing to you

you sound like the angry parent who berates the ref to make the obvious call before he/she even has a chance to even raise their whistle

and then acts like you made it all happen when the call is made
any thoughts about liberty, top gun, FLG and elevate at this grade? what about their B teams? Which team have the best training? Separately, why are the B teams always be treated like a second class citizen?
any thoughts on YJ nassau practice team?
Originally Posted by Anonymous
any thoughts about liberty, top gun, FLG and elevate at this grade? what about their B teams? Which team have the best training? Separately, why are the B teams always be treated like a second class citizen?

Jesters are the strongest team at this age. Jesters 28 Black Team is very strong with UNC girl who is head coach, Jesters 28 Pink Team is probably better then most travel A teams and the coach to that team is an all-american from Post. YJ is also good. After that its a big drop off with everyone else.
YJ A beat jesters black big time. Don’t know if that makes them better but wouldn’t definitely say Jesters black is the strongest hands down.
Jesters and YJ likely the strongest
which team is YJ A? Maget?
Yes
Best teams at 2028 are in Maryland. Coppermine Black is the #1 team. Followed by M&D Black.
Best teams at 2028 are in Maryland. Coppermine Black is the #1 team. Followed by M&D Black.
Just curious - how do you determine that these two teams are the best?
Curious what people's view on which one or ones are the best 2028 teams on LI? YJ Maget? TG? Jesters? Liberty? based on coaches and last year performances understanding kids do move around.
Curious what people's view on which one or ones are the best 2028 teams on LI? YJ Maget? TG? Jesters? Liberty? based on coaches and last year performances understanding kids do move around.

YJ Maget by a good margin. They just picked up Jaylen Rosga's younger sister (as an out of state player) who will be a massive impact player immediately. She was the best middie at tryouts by a good margin.

2nd is either FLG or YJ Fey. FLG prob has the best goalie at this age.

YJ Maget by a good margin. They just picked up Jaylen Rosga's younger sister (as an out of state player) who will be a massive impact player immediately. She was the best middie at tryouts by a good margin.

I'm surprised to hear about FLG. I thought Jesters would have been strongest outside of YJ Maget but not sure if they have had head to head with Maget yet.

I'm surprised to hear about FLG. I thought Jesters would have been strongest outside of YJ Maget but not sure if they have had head to head with Maget yet.

Reality is that Jesters, Libery, FLG, YJ Fey are all pretty close for second on the island.

If we are talking 2nd in NY Metro, its Prime Time by far
Wow!! Crazy lax parents on another level! Are these 2028s???
Wow!! Crazy lax parents on another level! Are these 2028s???

Wait a couple years
How’s everyone’s team doing this year so far? Any standout teams?
How’s everyone’s team doing this year so far? Any standout teams?

I don't think there was much going on yet. Some 7v7 on Columbus Day. Liberty hosted a tournament but not that many teams. Queen of the island is the weekend though.

Jesters are the strongest team at this age. Jesters 28 Black Team is very strong with UNC girl who is head coach, Jesters 28 Pink Team is probably better then most travel A teams and the coach to that team is an all-american from Post. YJ is also good. After that its a big drop off with everyone else.

Jesters Pink is a decent team but to say they are better than "most" travel A may be a stretch. I witnessed Liberty B beat Jesters Pink in a tournament last year. Jesters Pink's passing & transition in that game looked better than Liberty B though.
Some fun games at Queen of the island despite the weather. Kids seem to have a lot of fun. Maget came up the best as expected but some others looking pretty good as well.
Some fun games at Queen of the island despite the weather. Kids seem to have a lot of fun. Maget came up the best as expected but some others looking pretty good as well.

Is YJ the best at every age level?

No

No

How is top gun at this age group? How many kids and who are the coaches? How intense is their training?
Did anyone's team play in the tournament yesterday?

Absolutely not
There are a few exceptions, but for the most part yes. They certainly have the most top ranked LI teams than any other program. In some years their top two or even three are better than any clubs #1.
App did not update for lax for cure showcase. How did 2028 - prime time, maget, fey do? Any other team impress at the tournament??
App did not update for lax for cure showcase. How did 2028 - prime time, maget, fey do? Any other team impress at the tournament??

Maget's bracket games were cancelled because of weather. So, PT, Eagle Stix and Maget did not play at all unfortunately. Fey 1W, 1T, 1L. Lomo won 1 before other games were cancelled.

Eagle Stix dominated in Fall Draw.

Maget's bracket games were cancelled because of weather. So, PT, Eagle Stix and Maget did not play at all unfortunately. Fey 1W, 1T, 1L. Lomo won 1 before other games were cancelled.

plus they can drive themselves to tournaments

a few of them may even be able to buy beer

are you saying that Eagle Stix has a lot of kids that were held back are you saying that they are physically much bigger?

are you saying that Eagle Stix has a lot of kids that were held back are you saying that they are physically much bigger?

I know many who have come through the Eagle Stix program in the older age brackets and trust me they are not holding back female players for lacrosse. Milton is a wealthy suburb of Atlanta and their high school is usually the state champion in women’s high school lacrosse. They are good and will continue to attract the top talent in Georgia. Look at their recruits the past couple years!

I know many who have come through the Eagle Stix program in the older age brackets and trust me they are not holding back female players for lacrosse. Milton is a wealthy suburb of Atlanta and their high school is usually the state champion in women’s high school lacrosse. They are good and will continue to attract the top talent in Georgia. Look at their recruits the past couple years!

Thanks for the info.

Parents will always find excuses when their team loses. Eagle Stix is clearly doing something right. Both their 27 and 28 teams completely blew out Liberty.

Parents will always find excuses when their team loses. Eagle Stix is clearly doing something right. Both their 27 and 28 teams completely blew out Liberty.

I think the 27 team blew out Legacy as well.

Curious how many of those Eagle Stix players have a 2009 date of birth. They just look bigger than everyone else.
are you saying that Eagle Stix has a lot of kids that were held back are you saying that they are physically much bigger?[/quote]

I know many who have come through the Eagle Stix program in the older age brackets and trust me they are not holding back female players for lacrosse. Milton is a wealthy suburb of Atlanta and their high school is usually the state champion in women’s high school lacrosse. They are good and will continue to attract the top talent in Georgia. Look at their recruits the past couple years![/quote]

Parents will always find excuses when their team loses. Eagle Stix is clearly doing something right. Both their 27 and 28 teams completely blew out Liberty.[/quote]

Curious how many of those Eagle Stix players have a 2009 date of birth. They just look bigger than everyone else.[/quote]

Their school cutoff could be earlier.
Can’t speak for the Eagle Stix 28 team. I saw their 27 team play a half against Liberty and it was a clinic. They are doing something right down there in Georgia. One of their parents said they have to come up here and to MD to play girls their age. Down south they play nothing but older girls. Also saw two dads in their fan area who were about 6’6”, so the gene pool lottery could account for size differences too!
Can’t speak for the Eagle Stix 28 team. I saw their 27 team play a half against Liberty and it was a clinic. They are doing something right down there in Georgia. One of their parents said they have to come up here and to MD to play girls their age. Down south they play nothing but older girls. Also saw two dads in their fan area who were about 6’6”, so the gene pool lottery could account for size differences too!

Liberty 27 team isn't that good, not in top-30 teams, Prime Time, who is solid, took them 10-3 last season.

Liberty 27 team isn't that good, not in top-30 teams, Prime Time, who is solid, took them 10-3 last season.

Just looked at the USCL ranking, Liberty ranked 20 while Prime Time ranked 15. And Eagle Stix beat Prime Time 14-8 and 14-2 last year.
Please don't use the uscl rankings at this point. they are missing some many big names (Aces, YJ - Maget, Li Jesters) that should be considered in and around the top 10. to be honest, some of the names in the top of the rankings honestly don't belong. I am not sure who or where they get the games reported. For example, our team's games from a notable tournament never seemed to be uploaded, but other organizations were. Not really a big deal, but I would not hold a lot of stock in those rankings.
So a team is good and your natural thought is to say they are older than the rest of the teams? What a positive way to look at sports.

Agreed. Eagle Stix 27s may be the best coached middle school lacrosse team I have ever seen. Not as talent as top LI teams but they run an offense that you would expect of sophomore and juniors in high school
What other sports are your girls playing in the winter?

fwiw, their 26 team has 2 former NFL players as parents.
now that they are in MS is there a top team?

LOL, that’s a good one, “Gene pool lottery”! Maybe it’s the water in Georgia too!? Lol Or, maybe they are learning the benefit of being a year older at a younger age. Big difference and def. Advantages to it.

Yes! they do holdback in girls lacrosse too, to get advantages early on. This advantage gets them ahead of the game younger. There are big stakes for top college spots, that would be hard to get into otherwise.

You can bet it’s being thought about b4 Kindergarten from the “Lacrosse families”! I know a few who thought about it b4 kids were even born!
yj fey looked pretty and that local tournament today, bright future for this group
yj fey looked pretty and that local tournament today, bright future for this group

They lost to YJ 29A two weeks ago. They are miles behind YJA (Maget)

Does this make you feel good about yourself dad?

Curious how the Top Gun 28 looks. Has Maget played Jesters Black before?

Well, you probably shouldn't be bragging about beating a C team from an age group below.

TG really struggled in the spring. Gone blown out some team A-/B+ teams. I expect them to bring in more talent in future years like they already do.

If they are smart, they will play in B and C brackets this summer in most tourneys.

Maget won pretty decisively at LFTC last year. (don't remember the score, but it felt like 9-3ish). Both teams have improved a bunch since then and picked up some top players.

Jesters are the clear #2 28 team on the island.

Maget won pretty decisively at LFTC last year. (don't remember the score, but it felt like 9-3ish). Both teams have improved a bunch since then and picked up some top players.

Jesters went 0-4 at lax for the cure. Lost 9-4 to Majet. Not sure how that makes them a clear number 2.

Well, you probably shouldn't be bragging about beating a C team from an age group below.

huh, they lost to PAL teams yesterday?

Jesters went 0-4 at lax for the cure. Lost 9-4 to Majet. Not sure how that makes them a clear number 2.

Who is better? Liberty ? YJB?
there was a yjb dad yesterday who appeared to be wearing a replica of his daughters jersey

if that wasn’t enough he was later removed from the field by an official in PAL charity jamboree complaining about calls in a game against what I assume was a town club

poor kids have b level humans as parents

Who is better? Liberty ? YJB?

Yellow jacket lomangino is clear number 2. I think legacy, jesters, and liberty are 3-5……in no certain order.
They are all 2009's
Eagle stix 2028 were all born 2009

they are the only other LI team playing in the top bracket. Plus this fall, they were competitive (3 goal loss) to M&D, the top team in Maryland.

they are the only other LI team playing in the top bracket. Plus this fall, they were competitive (3 goal loss) to M&D, the top team in Maryland.

and they have superior coaching by a wide margin

the divide will continue to narrow as they get older and being bigger faster stronger and sometime older starts to be less impactful as kids age
Looks like the first round of AU futures invited went out today. Is anyone else going this summer?
How do you figure M&D is the top team in MD? They didn't win the NGLL last year and lost to Coppermine every time they played them except when Coppermine had a mixed A/B team last Fall. So what are you basing that on?
How do you figure M&D is the top team in MD? They didn't win the NGLL last year and lost to Coppermine every time they played them except when Coppermine had a mixed A/B team last Fall. So what are you basing that on?

Was not a mixed A/B team when they played.

They won mid-atlantic showcase -- Biggest tournament of the fall. M&D and Eagle Stix are top 2 28 teams in the country. Pick your order.

Perhaps the PP, who is not from MD and wouldn't know the history of these two teams particular matchups, was basing it on US club rankings where M&D is ranked ahead of Coppermine. It wasn't really the point of his comment anyway. The point was they only lost by a few to a v. good team. If you prefer to use Coppermine as a point of comparison, they only lost to them by 1.

They won mid-atlantic showcase -- Biggest tournament of the fall. M&D and Eagle Stix are top 2 28 teams in the country. Pick your order.

those eagle stix “kids” had mustaches
Live Love Lax and LFTC brackets out.

Any idea why Maget is only in the 3rd highest brackets at Live Love Lax?

those eagle stix “kids” had mustaches

You are so mean
Who’s everyone’s opinion? 2028

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Nationally or on Long Island?

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

They are only 11 or 12. A bit much?

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

you've both lost your minds....find a hobby - they are 11 year olds

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Exactly, 2028s!? This is so comical to be ranking 2028s! It’s going to change before it counts. Its always the parents of younger players who think they have prodigy’s that think they should be ranking 11 year olds! Comical

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

To be fair, Maget is already bringing in out of region players for their 28 team. Perspective has been lost for quite some time now.
Long island

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

To be fair, Maget is already bringing in out of region players for their 28 team. Perspective has been lost for quite some time now.

To say Maget is "bringing in" an out of region player may be a bit misleading. The out-of-state player's sister played for YJ. So, don't make it sound like the coach is scouting all around and try to stack her team already. Again they are 11 years old.

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

hey garden city , I know it must be tough when your kids Johnson is bigger than yours but try to chill

you will save a bundle not having to worry about grandkids
[quote=Anonymous]Who’s everyone’s opinion? 2028

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

you've both lost your minds....find a hobby - they are 11 year olds[/mage

To say Maget is "bringing in" an out of region player may be a bit misleading. The out-of-state player's sister played for YJ. So, don't make it sound like the coach is scouting all around and try to stack her team already. Again they are 11 years old.

are you are happy maget and that low talking creepy guy is coaching your offspring ,

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

are you are happy maget and that low talking creepy guy is coaching your offspring ,

Not sure what creepy guy you are referring to, but not nearly as creepy as you defending the grownups (may be yourself) trying to rank 11 year olds on a public forum anonymously.
This is funny, Comparing YJ Maget 28 to Jesters lol lol .. Maget tied MND last summer, lost to Coppermine 9-4.. There clearly top 5 in the 2028…
YJ 28 LOMO has never beaten YJ Maget… EVER!!! Maget clearly the best 28 in the TRI State!!
Originally Posted by Wildbill
YJ 28 LOMO has never beaten YJ Maget… EVER!!! Maget clearly the best 28 in the TRI State!!

Agreed. The only non-MD team in their league is Aces.
Maget tied M&D in a showcase tourney (Live Love Lax) but got their doors blown off during a championship tourney (Lax for the cure). M&D Coaches generally play evenly during showcase tourneys.

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

Best goalie

Best defense

Best offense

Best overall player

no
Pretty sure jesters lost to coppermine by 1 and m&d by 2-3 in the fall. Not sure how that makes them so far behind maget.
Maget tied M&D in a showcase tourney (Live Love Lax) but got their doors blown off during a championship tourney (Lax for the cure). M&D Coaches generally play evenly during showcase tourneys.

Majet just lost to liberty last weekend. They aren’t top dog anymore.

fake news

yj was missing players including an out of state stud who is the best player on the team by far

scores will look much different in real tournaments this summer

fake news

yj was missing players including an out of state stud who is the best player on the team by far

bringing in out of state 'studs' at 11 years old - amazing
id venture to guess the clothes she got for her 11th birthday are no longer in style and shes not the only one on that team

things are evening out

you see it in the scores
How are you YJ Maget parents good with the out of state stud?

I am sure she isn’t practicing with the team >50% of time. I am sure she plays for another travel team (lacrosse monkey). Meanwhile you are required to have your kid at every practice/clinic/team event all of fall/winter/spring. Then book hotels, drive to MD/NJ/PA, then watch your kid get benched? All that work for what??

Does it seem worth it for a drawstring bag or t shirt, except when she doesn’t show up?
Fake news!!

We didn’t lose, the game ended and liberty was up but we never lost. Nobody good showed up, especially our hand picked player that we fly in for games. Liberty couldn’t have scored more than we did in that game because we are clearly the best team in the Tri State. You wait until another tournament comes up and we can give more excuses then.

Some one please check on our out of state players flight. Please don’t be delayed - we have to win!!

fake news

How were they missing players for this game but not one before or after? Their out of town player was in town, she’s in all their pictures.
I love how YJ parents freak out so early when things look a little shaky… tourneys start next week, take a deep breath- you will all be fine. No need to hit panic buttons bc of “queen of the island”
Hey, EagleStix just won NGLL Championship. Beat Aces twice and MND once.
Great wins for Eaglestix. Looks like M&D, Aces and Eaglestix all had a few one goal games with each other, so that’s a very good showing for Eaglestix. Looks like they are all evenly matched. Great for the 2028s.
How are you YJ Maget parents good with the out of state stud?

I am sure she isn’t practicing with the team >50% of time. I am sure she plays for another travel team (lacrosse monkey). Meanwhile you are required to have your kid at every practice/clinic/team event all of fall/winter/spring. Then book hotels, drive to MD/NJ/PA, then watch your kid get benched? All that work for what??

Does it seem worth it for a drawstring bag or t shirt, except when she doesn’t show up?

saw her play with my daughters rec league team shes THAT good and will make your kid look better

worth it

fake news

bringing in out of state 'studs' at 11 years old - amazing

Amazing, you should be encouraging your team not to depend on one player. Who cares about scores! It’s about development at this age. Girls need to be playing to be developing. Get better with each loss until you win. Too young to be focusing on the win and not the playing.
No “one” needs to make your kid “look” better at this age! No one is watching! Kids should be playing and developing and getting better. You get better with playing in real games. Perspective people. 10 year old girls are not being recruited !! They ALL need to be playing. Regardless of egos needing a win.
It is when you don't win it.
1. Jesters
2. Liberty
3. Legacy
4. YJ Maget
5. YJ Lomo

fake news

Wow. Are there any actually parents here associated with YJ or jesters?

The player in question did play last weekend. She started some games, but not all. Don’t remember if she started the liberty game but she did play.

Is she the best player on team? In terms of raw technical skill, probably. In terms of lax IQ or athleticism? Not even close.

We lost because of too many unforced turnovers and poor transition defense. All fixable problems.

It’s good to have multiple good teams on long island. Congrats to jesters. I know we will see you against.
To be fair, Maget isn't playing in top group in Lax By The Sea.

The coaches likely know this isn't their strongest team. Most likely will get jesters again in the semi finals as they should cruise through their group.

fake news

Wow. Are there any actually parents here associated with YJ or jesters?

The player in question did play last weekend. She started some games, but not all. Don’t remember if she started the liberty game but she did play.

Is she the best player on team? In terms of raw technical skill, probably. In terms of lax IQ or athleticism? Not even close.

We lost because of too many unforced turnovers and poor transition defense. All fixable problems.

It’s good to have multiple good teams on long island. Congrats to jesters. I know we will see you against.

best 2028 period, not just on yj [ChillLaxin]

size and brains
1. Jesters
2. Liberty
3. Legacy
4. YJ Maget
5. YJ Lomo

Maget beat Jesters 6-4 today. Legacy lost to Lomo (7-9) and to Liberty (5-6) at Queen of the island. Liberty lost to Legacy in the Fall.

So, I'd say Maget, Jesters, Liberty, Lomo, Legacy....

Wonder when the USClub updated ranking would come out...
I agree with your rankings. Maget is currently the #1 team. They are beatable due to the fact they so reliant on rosega. She is very good. Does help when they are in lower bracket with little to no resistance for the first three games (12-0/9-4/13-6). They didn’t face any of the tougher team until after they battled through their early games with
a-level bracket. An obvious advantage. Not to take anything away, they did win but easy to sit back while the top tier tire themselves out against stuffer competition. Then they come in fresh.

Would like to see them play fresh legacy/hero’s/monsters/jesters. Would see where they truly rank.

I am a legacy dad if anyone is wondering.
1. Jesters
2. Liberty
3. Legacy
4. YJ Maget
5. YJ Lomo

Maget beat Jesters 6-4 today. Legacy lost to Lomo (7-9) and to Liberty (5-6) at Queen of the island. Liberty lost to Legacy in the Fall.

totally logical once you ignore the fake blowout loss to liberty from a few weeks ago
1. Jesters
2. Liberty
3. Legacy
4. YJ Maget
5. YJ Lomo

totally logical once you ignore the fake blowout loss to liberty from a few weeks ago

I would not call it a "fake" loss. A loss is a loss. I'd say they are consistently winning more than Liberty and Jesters. But at this age, there can be so much growth within a few months, so I would not read too much into rankings.
Does anyone know who owns Long Island LAX Journal and who makes decisions on who gets picked for the All-Long Island Games?
Who ever picked the team should do better research. Seems like YJ submitted 80% of their girls and then they filled in the rest with majority of Suffolk, then Nassau. 3 waves of picks.

I know LI Jesters only had 3 girls asked (should have been much more given they are clear #2 team talent wise).

For example, if you saw the Jesters goalie at lax by the sea. She probably a top 2, if not the best goalie for 2028 on the island. She was snubbed.

It doesn’t really matter at this age, but if you are looking to declare the best talent then do your research.

Good luck and congratulations to all the ladies that were picked.
Wink owns it but Herbie Versmelz over there helps him put the teams together
Wink owns it but Herbie Versmelz over there helps him put the teams together

They pick the teams only from girls who attend their events and camps - it’s not like they are scouting games. Don’t put much stock in it beyond a fun thing for the girls “selected”
Wink as in Winkoff? Why do you say "not scouting". The website states that they scout. Not disputing just wondering if anyone has first hand experience.
Wink as in Winkoff? Why do you say "not scouting". The website states that they scout. Not disputing just wondering if anyone has first hand experience.

Nobody is scouting 2028's at various tournaments....they "scout" them at their camps which you have to pay for therefore many very good if not better players are left off
How many spots open on M&D 2028?

Nobody is scouting 2028's at various tournaments....they "scout" them at their camps which you have to pay for therefore many very good if not better players are left off

2028 too early for list anyways!
How many spots open on M&D 2028?

What?

2028 too early for list anyways!

Of course it is …any list before high school age is garbage
I watched YJ Maget vs Maryland United at Live, Love, Lax. Ended in a 10-10 tie. Amazing game, back and forth the whole time. I was really impressed with both teams.
Maget 1-3 at Lax for the cure. What happened?

Still very close scores except one game.

They blew a 2 goal lead late against MDU in their second game and never really got back on track.

Way too many missed clears combined with poor performance on the draw created the loss. They will get better and win some games/tourneys but they are definitely behind the 6th grade quality of the last 2 YJA teams.
Try out season is almost here. What team do you think would have a lot of movements? What team will gain most talents? Are you staying with your team or trying out for another team? Reason?
Try out season is almost here. What team do you think would have a lot of movements? What team will gain most talents? Are you staying with your team or trying out for another team? Reason?

Hearing ALOT of movement in the works all around. Should be hearing more after this weekend
Probably some big movement and definitely some shake ups on the top teams. Yj just got Bert from MT Siani which could draw some talent that way. This grade is still young so there will still be a decent amount of movement.
© US Lacrosse Community Forum