BOTC
Curious for some thoughts on this. Know a couple families that are doing club only, not playing on town teams this spring. Considering it for next year, as PAL getting to be a time stink with little benefit. It's extra practices and games to run around to. Our team isn't competitive, playing time is equal regardless of skill level or attendance to practice. Coaches are just local dads, some without any playing experience, who don't seem to be concerned with being competitive. There's no fire or emotion from the coaches, kids always come out very flat. Only a couple kids playing club, most are more concerned with travel soccer. Get lit up every game. Better players are constantly being taken off the field when games are still in reach. A big deal is made about scoring a goal in garbage time when the opponent is obviously in prevent mode. It is a good life lesson in learning to lose, but at the same time it is turning into a bad life lesson w/ the team being complacent with losing. Probably won't do it, but just something we are thinking about.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
PAL mission statement is developmental lacrosse. Play club and play PAL to get familiar with the kids they will ultimately be in MS and HS with. Forget the wins and losses, have fun.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Depends on the value you place on developing talent that will likely play together in HS unless you go to private school. Not passing judgment but if everyone had that attitude then a lot of town programs would fold. Not exactly growing the game.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Let him play. PAL will not be the same as the Middle school and high school players. Give it a chance let them play together. If you don’t like the coaching get involved. Help them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Originally Posted by Anonymous
PAL mission statement is developmental lacrosse. Play club and play PAL to get familiar with the kids they will ultimately be in MS and HS with. Forget the wins and losses, have fun.


Exactly, its a program to introduce kids to the game. Gain some development and have fun. They do not have playoffs or championships. Its an opportunity for your kid to play with friends and classmates. Have fun with it !!!!
Unfortunately coaching is not an option. I put in a request to coach, but the staff was already "picked out". I do coach another sport in town and know a lot of families in the community, so I was kind of surprised my help was not wanted. Anyway, 99% chance I won't pull my son out. I will likely keep him in just based off the MS and HS stuff. Just wondering if this a thing now. I do notice that the better teams are made of guys that all play on the same club team, coached by some of the club coaches. The less competitive teams don't have any of that. The families I know only doing club have more or less a similar situation with their town teams not being competitive.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Originally Posted by HP2008
Unfortunately coaching is not an option. I put in a request to coach, but the staff was already "picked out". I do coach another sport in town and know a lot of families in the community, so I was kind of surprised my help was not wanted. Anyway, 99% chance I won't pull my son out. I will likely keep him in just based off the MS and HS stuff. Just wondering if this a thing now. I do notice that the better teams are made of guys that all play on the same club team, coached by some of the club coaches. The less competitive teams don't have any of that. The families I know only doing club have more or less a similar situation with their town teams not being competitive.

I would keep him in PAL. My kids are now in High School and play club ball and they still like to go watch PAL lax in our town because they have fond memories of playing with their friends. Remember only 2% of high school athletes go onto play in college so for most kids the memories of playing with friends are all they will have.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Don't worry about the wins when they are kids. Hard to watch your kids get crushed every game but focus on little things that your kid is doing better then they did a week ago. Hopefully the coach's are teaching something. Keep in mind that if people leave PAL, you will not have a town PAL league one day. Thats normally how kids get introduced to lax in alot of towns.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Don't worry about the wins when they are kids. Hard to watch your kids get crushed every game but focus on little things that your kid is doing better then they did a week ago. Hopefully the coach's are teaching something. Keep in mind that if people leave PAL, you will not have a town PAL league one day. Thats normally how kids get introduced to lax in alot of towns.

Totally agree!!! PAL is where my kids learned to play and love the game for the right reasons! My kids had a totally invaluable experience at PAL, and know both play top level Highschool. Probably wouldn’t be playing today without the PAL experience. Didn’t know anything about Lacrosse before being introduced to it at PAL. Let’s all support PAL in our towns! smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Do your PAL teams level by skill, and starting in which grade do they do so?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do your PAL teams level by skill, and starting in which grade do they do so?
yes. I believe that starts 4th grade.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do your PAL teams level by skill, and starting in which grade do they do so?

Just like school it depends on which towns. If your town has a perennial bad LAX high school team more than likely your pal experience will be the same. That being said it doesn't mean your kid can't become a good lacrosse player. Its a starting point. If your kid plays PAL and really likes lacrosse then consider forking out the $$$$ for travel clubs. Half a youth PAL team can be composed of kids who like lacrosse and the other half are kids playing because their parents put them in it because the other "Cool Parents" have their kids playing lacrosse. That will be reflected in the W-L record. Also in PAL if you have a goalie that can actually make saves then your record will be better.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
PAL is set up in divisions of equal playing level. My son started at PAL and that first year the team was terrible. We lost to one towns B team 15-0. Kids still had a great time playing with friends and learning the game. Our team improved over the years. By the last year we were placed in the top division and beat the top team of that same town who’s B team beat us by 15. Many of our PAL kids are playing D1. This all started from a beginners PAL team that took a long time to catch and throw. The kids will have fun playing with friends and love the game more playing PAL. I miss those PAL days. It is a must to join even if your kid is too good for the companion and has to play with his weak hand to improve that aspect of his game.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Ok so I have gone through a ton of issues with town ball and travel!!!!!!!!!! I'm up here in section 9 (NYS PS), God help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In any event we have been pursued to have our kids leave the town team multiple times to go and play with other towns. Forget about the travel team merry go round we played. All in a short span of 4yrs for both my son and daughter, 4th and 6th graders. We now play for New Jersey travel teams and highly ranked ones at the older levels. The boy has already made up his mind he's going to the #1 Prep school in the state of NJ when the time comes. I was approached by the 5/6 coach before the season to see if the boy was going to play up. So with all of that said I kept him on the 3/4 team for the simple reason he could play with his friends. He's never been able to do that since he's played on the 3/4 team since 1st grade. I guess my points are he had fun, he elevated the play of his team mates, he was a leader, he was a player/coach on the field, and there are 5 boys from his team now playing travel ball!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't really know if there is a down side to playing on a team that isn't as good as you would like. There are always lessons to be learned, IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
So funny. The same parents suggesting you allow your kid to play and have fun with his friends with his town PAL team are the same ones running to place their kids on travel teams. PAL has a bunch of political hacks all the way up to Middle School. Save time and find a travel team that fits your kid. In addition, buy a bucket of balls, fold up portable goal and teach your kid the proper fundamentals; it will go a long way.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ok so I have gone through a ton of issues with town ball and travel!!!!!!!!!! I'm up here in section 9 (NYS PS), God help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In any event we have been pursued to have our kids leave the town team multiple times to go and play with other towns. Forget about the travel team merry go round we played. All in a short span of 4yrs for both my son and daughter, 4th and 6th graders. We now play for New Jersey travel teams and highly ranked ones at the older levels. The boy has already made up his mind he's going to the #1 Prep school in the state of NJ when the time comes. I was approached by the 5/6 coach before the season to see if the boy was going to play up. So with all of that said I kept him on the 3/4 team for the simple reason he could play with his friends. He's never been able to do that since he's played on the 3/4 team since 1st grade. I guess my points are he had fun, he elevated the play of his team mates, he was a leader, he was a player/coach on the field, and there are 5 boys from his team now playing travel ball!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't really know if there is a down side to playing on a team that isn't as good as you would like. There are always lessons to be learned, IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" I was approached by the 5/6 coach before the season to see if the boy was going to play up." ---- Surely this is fake news. Lacrosse players don't play up. They play down. Whats wrong with you trying to add some integrity to lacrosse by getting your kid to work hard and play up with better players. You will be BANISHED from the team soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Playing Club Only, No PAL? -
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ok so I have gone through a t of issues with town ball and travel!!!!!!!!!! I'm up here in section 9 (NYS PS), God help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In any event we have been pursued to have our kids leave the town team multiple times to go and play with other towns. Forget about the travel team merry go round we played. All in a short span of 4yrs for both my son and daughter, 4th and 6th graders. We now play for New Jersey travel teams and highly ranked ones at the older levels. The boy has already made up his mind he's going to the #1 Prep school in the state of NJ when the time comes. I was approached by the 5/6 coach before the season to see if the boy was going to play up. So with all of that said I kept him on the 3/4 team for the simple reason he could play with his friends. He's never been able to do that since he's played on the 3/4 team since 1st grade. I guess my points are he had fun, he elevated the play of his team mates, he was a leader, he was a player/coach on the field, and there are 5 boys from his team now playing travel ball!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't really know if there is a down side to playing on a team that isn't as good as you would like. There are always lessons to be learned, IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" I was approached by the 5/6 coach before the season to see if the boy was going to play up." ---- Surely this is fake news. Lacrosse players don't play up. They play down. Whats wrong with you trying to add some integrity to lacrosse by getting your kid to work hard and play up with better players. You will be BANISHED from the team soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, let me attempt to unpack your untitled short story. I assume your kids are in their pre-teen years. You live up-state NY, and travel to NJ for your kids to participate in travel lax, with a highly ranked club. Additionally, your pre-teen already made a decision where he will attend prep school. Better yet, at 12years old he has catapulted within the ranks as a player-coach. That said, I own a chain of fast-food restaurants, and having a difficult time finding true LEADERS. PM me and I'll send you all the particulars to get your son rolling.
© BackOfTheCage