@BackOfTheCAGE
Post scores and news from Mens College Lacrosse.
Holy Moly!!!
Holy Cross 13.....Loyola 12
That IS a shocker… and some bragging rights go to HC from that one!
With that said, so much talent out there goes untapped by the perennial power houses in the early recruiting business… and the lower ranked D1 programs are reaping the benefits!
YALE 10, Maryland 6
Maryland is a train wreck!!!!!
Originally Posted by Anonymous
YALE 10, Maryland 6

yeah, ever since Channy left.
We have to get our Express back into the Terp land.
YALE 10, Maryland 6

Shouldn't you be back on the 2018 boys thread hammering the Outlaws? This is for older college men. Sorry you don't belong.
YALE 10, Maryland 6

What did they win when he was there?
They havent won it in decades, and now they are one of the leaders in committing roster spots to 9th graders.
You are so right!!!!! The Lower D1's are definitely getting great players by not taking the 8th grade superstars and sitting and waiting for the proven 11th graders,and the late bloomers that got overlooked! Those late bloomers,quite often turn out to be the best players!!! We are going to see more and more of this taking place...i am happy for the programs that get great players that found their homes later in the game!

With that said, so much talent out there goes untapped by the perennial power houses in the early recruiting business… and the lower ranked D1 programs are reaping the benefits!
Don't you think that there will be more parody in college lacrosse in general due to the growing popularity of the sport. Just look at the sidebar of this screen, how many teams are there drawing talent from Long Island alone. Lets also take into consideration the expansion of the sport in non traditional areas. This introduces a different athlete to the sport that probably never would have had the opportunity to play.
Originally Posted by America's Game
Don't you think that there will be more parody in college lacrosse in general due to the growing popularity of the sport. Just look at the sidebar of this screen, how many teams are there drawing talent from Long Island alone. Lets also take into consideration the expansion of the sport in non traditional areas. This introduces a different athlete to the sport that probably never would have had the opportunity to play.

I have to agree, I do not think the upsets in the first game of the season really have to do all that much with early commits. I am sure these coaches have been around long enough to NOT start a player that they think did not develop like they expected when they recruited them in 10th grade. Furthermore, the kids that are freshman on the roster now, were not recruited in 9th grade. Is there that much of a difference between a Spring 10th grader and a Fall 11th grader? I suspect as the season rolls on, we will see the better teams on top and a few underdogs rise up as well. The sport is growing and it should be no surprise that more teams will be even more highly competitive.
You are so right!!!!! The Lower D1's are definitely getting great players by not taking the 8th grade superstars and sitting and waiting for the proven 11th graders,and the late bloomers that got overlooked! Those late bloomers,quite often turn out to be the best players!!! We are going to see more and more of this taking place...i am happy for the programs that get great players that found their homes later in the game!

the current college rosters do not reflect the new super early commits - the college freshman (HS class of 2014) had no 9th grade commits and much smaller number of 10th grade commits, the first 2015 to commit was Ryan Conrad who did not commit until very late spring of 10th grade and at Jake Reed the summer after 10th grade you only had a handful of 2015 committed. You will be better able to evaluate the pro's and con's in about 8 years when these 2018's are juniors and seniors in college.
I absolutely agree that the sport has grown tremendously,and i also agree that the current players are not a reflection of early recruiting,but I also think that the top D1'S overlook late bloomers and take the more hyped younger recruit,and this will certainly not play into their favor as it will play into the lower d1's and it will catch up with them..as for a differnce between a 10th grader and an 11th grader? I certainly see a difference in growth,maturity,grades and it all comes into play...Especially in a defensive position,where size matters...
Hate to bring this to a shamrock shootout type conversation but what good comes out of the games played in the snow this weekend. Ridiculous. Take nothing away from those games... NOTHING

Totally different game in feb than April May when it counts.

May be good for conversation but not to access what is out there.
Yes it does. Hopkins always has recruited at the early stages. And look where it's got them. No where and I love it!! The parity in division 1 lacrosse is because of some of these lower division 1 schools getting those late bloomers. I see it already at the 2019 level. Some of these boys are men already and have that physical advantage. And when some of the boys who have great skill but haven't reached their physical maturity catch up these colleges will reap the benefits. And my son is one of those kids who is physically mature now and I'm telling you that he won't be as dominate as he is now come two years from now. And I tell him to be humble now and still work hard because some of those smaller boys will catch up and it won't be as easy.
Yes it does. Hopkins always has recruited at the early stages. And look where it's got them. No where and I love it!! The parity in division 1 lacrosse is because of some of these lower division 1 schools getting those late bloomers. I see it already at the 2019 level. Some of these boys are men already and have that physical advantage. And when some of the boys who have great skill but haven't reached their physical maturity catch up these colleges will reap the benefits. And my son is one of those kids who is physically mature now and I'm telling you that he won't be as dominate as he is now come two years from now. And I tell him to be humble now and still work hard because some of those smaller boys will catch up and it won't be as easy.

No where? You love it? Number 11 in the country. You must be a national champion player or coach to spout off like that!! 2019 means your kid is a year away from playing his first HS game. Relax
Relax on what? Because I'm against early recruiting. And that this fall my kid can be recruited already. It's around the corner. Hopkins always over the years has recruited the top players and they haven't won a thing. Fact!! Early recruiting is terrible for this game. Kids should finish two years of high school before they can be recruited.
Army vs Syracuse
3-2 'Cuse with 3 min left in 1st.
Available to view on the Watch ESPN app or ESPN3 online.
Relax on what? Because I'm against early recruiting. And that this fall my kid can be recruited already. It's around the corner. Hopkins always over the years has recruited the top players and they haven't won a thing. Fact!! Early recruiting is terrible for this game. Kids should finish two years of high school before they can be recruited.

Relax with the Hopkins hasn't gotten anywhere. You love it. Relax with that. You would be thrilled for your kid to have an opportunity to play at that level !
Army 2 - 'Cuse 4 end of 1st.
Army 4 - Syracuse 5
End of 1st Half
Great game. To watch live download the Watch ESPN App on your iPhone.
Army 9 - Syracuse 11
3 minutes left in game.
FINAL
Army 9 - Syracuse 12

Loyola doesn't recruit until 11th grade.

NOT TRUE - used to be true, not any more - why post if you have no idea what you are talking about? below are the TEN 2017 10th grade Loyola verbals

LOYOLA GREYHOUNDS
No. 24 Aidan Olmstead, A, Corning (N.Y.)
No. 66 Thomas Berger, A/M, Chatham (N.J.)
No. 73 Bailey Savio, F/O, Greenwich (Conn.)
Charlie King, LSM, Lassiter (Ga.)
Kevin Lindley, A, Darien (Conn.)
Dan Wigley, M, Shawnee (N.J.)
Jarett Bonser, D, Deer Park (N.Y.)
Colin McCarthy, M, Xavier (Conn.)
Jack Calderone, LSM/D, Cherry Creek (Colo.)
Matt Benus, M, Syosset (N.Y.)
Early recruiting does not effect this year at all...Really started in earnest with 2016s getting recruited in 10th grade. 2017 and 2018 were really the first groups of 9th grade recruits. So for all of you blaming early recruiting for the downfall of the game and the power house programs, we will see what happens in 3 or 4 years, not now
No down fall of the game, or any one program … just a more equal distribution of talent among all the programs which makes "upsets" more and more common and decreases the number of passes that the big programs will have during their regular season.
Did anyone stop to think that maybe the Holy Cross coaching staff is good at picking talent?

Wow! A realistic dad, are you allowed on this board?

Seriously though, it is the kids who have dads who don't stress continuing to develop, character and school who end up falling behind. If your son works hard he'll be great!
Wow

Tell that to all the 2017s they have recruited.
Many schools say one thing and do another. It happens all the time. I have heard top D1 coaches say they won't recruit 9th graders in one breath and in the other they are shaking hands with a 9th graders parent agreeing to a commitment. Look what U Penn did signing a 9th grader. Unheard of for the Ivy's.
One of my friends kid has verbally committed as a 9th grader this past summer. Top 20 D-1 program. The fathers last words on the subject was "We are still accepting all offers "
How about this Robert Enright of Hopkins out indefinitely with a knee injury. Could it have been a result of the horrible conditions that many teams played in. There wasn't snow on the field but it was slick due to freezing temps. Many games played were in conditions unsuitable for lacrosse. Especially considering the size of ball that is used.
How about this Robert Enright of Hopkins out indefinitely with a knee injury. Could it have been a result of the horrible conditions that many teams played in. There wasn't snow on the field but it was slick due to freezing temps. Many games played were in conditions unsuitable for lacrosse. Especially considering the size of ball that is used.

I watched the game and I don't think it had anything to do with the field. He got caught up with another player. However - the conditions this year are the worst I have ever seen them. It's crazy how many games some teams have played in the month of February and we are not even done yet. Coaches need to go back to Wed/Saturday games and star in March. What's the rush?
I didn't watch that game in particular so I didn't see how he was injured. Watching some of these other games was crazy. Hofstra vs Princeton was one where I was shocked they played.

Unlike football where the play can be limited to only three players touching the ball in a given play (Center, QB, and a back or receiver. The purist would never let baseball be played in those conditions.
shamrock shootout disscussion on the college thread?
Saturday, February 28, 2015

Army. vs. Lafayette. 12:00 pm
Binghamton. vs. Hobart. 12:00 pm
Bucknell. vs. Colgate. 1:00 pm
Cornell. vs. Albany. 1:00 pm
Duke. vs. Harvard. 12:00 pm. (ESPN 3)
Furman. vs. Air Force. 12:00 pm
Georgetown. vs. Hofstra. 12:00 pm
Hartford. vs. Manhattan. 1:00 pm
High Point. vs. Robert Morris. 11:00 am
Holy Cross. vs. Navy. 3:00 pm
Johns Hopkins. vs. Princeton. 1:00 pm (ESPN3)
Loyola. vs. Lehigh. 2:00 pm
Maryland. vs. Drexel. 12:00 pm
Massachusetts. vs. Brown. 1:00 pm
Michigan. vs. Canisius. 1:00 pm
NJIT. vs. Quinnipiac. 12:00 pm
Notre Dame. vs. Dartmouth. 1:00 pm
Penn State. vs. Penn. 12:00 pm
Richmond. vs. UMBC. 1:00 pm
Rutgers. vs. Monmouth. 12:00 pm
Siena. vs. St. John's. 1:00 pm
Stony Brook. vs. Fairfield. 12:00 pm
UMass Lowell. vs. Wagner. 1:00 pm
Vermont. vs. Boston U. 1:30 pm
Villanova. vs. Delaware. 12:00 pm
Yale. vs. Bryant. 1:00 pm

Home team is listed first. Games at neutral sites are in italics.
When times are shown, they are local to the site of the game.
#18 Princeton upsets #12 John Hopkins 10-7 at Homewood Field in Baltimore.
Hofstra drops a tough game to Georgetown 13-11
Anyone know if hometown hero Craig Berge played for Georgetown?
Originally Posted by The Hop
not sure where u got that score......Princeton won in overtime 16-15

16-15 Princeton is correct. I was understandably shaken by the loss. Right team wrong score.

16-15 Princeton is correct. I was understandably shaken by the loss. Right team wrong score.
We were upset by the loss too, hope Michael Pellagrino is ok, he got hurt right at the end of the game.
Hop loses again!!! Keep on bringing in those early recruits. Really working for you. Sad to hear about pelligrino though. Great player! Never wish injury on anybody.
Hop loses again!!! Keep on bringing in those early recruits. Really working for you. Sad to hear about pelligrino though. Great player! Never wish injury on anybody.

Been through this already, early recruiting won't effect play for 2 more years...
They have recruited earlier then anybody over the years. That's a fact
Not questioning your fact, but still it is clear that the really early recruiting won't effect play for two more years...

I guess you have some ax to grind here? What is your issue?
The issue is I feel early recruiting has damaged the game of lacrosse , especially the youth aspect. And these colleges keep on looking at these kids younger and younger putting an undue stress on many young athletes. I always felt lacrosse wasn't going to do this. That's why I love to see the underdogs win. Drexel, Bryant to name a few don't get those early bloomer studs who sometimes fizzle out because those late bloomers caught up physically. The parity of lacrosse at the division 1 level is great because we are seeing those late bloomers come on the scene who were not recruited early. Hence I was a late bloomer and outplayed my early bloomers studs in college. Many who were physically mature in 8th 9th grade were not as good in college. Or some of them quit because they weren't those studs anymore!
St. John's v Yale today at St. John's. Get the kids out to the game, 3:00
St. John's v Yale today at St. John's. Get the kids out to the game, 3:00

Yeah right, it will be a snowstorm. Have fun and write us the score while you're at the game.
The issue is I feel early recruiting has damaged the game of lacrosse , especially the youth aspect. And these colleges keep on looking at these kids younger and younger putting an undue stress on many young athletes. I always felt lacrosse wasn't going to do this. That's why I love to see the underdogs win. Drexel, Bryant to name a few don't get those early bloomer studs who sometimes fizzle out because those late bloomers caught up physically. The parity of lacrosse at the division 1 level is great because we are seeing those late bloomers come on the scene who were not recruited early. Hence I was a late bloomer and outplayed my early bloomers studs in college. Many who were physically mature in 8th 9th grade were not as good in college. Or some of them quit because they weren't those studs anymore!

By your logic, early recruiting is good for the game. As those late bloomers start to take national championships away fro the ten or so programs that typically win, and further increase parity, it means that the game will grow...Parity is good for the game isn't it? more late bloomers continue to play rather than quit...early recruiting, I would argue, actually increasing the reach of the game...

The only people that don't like it are the college coaches (at least that is what they say while they do exactly the opposite) and the parents of kids that don't get recruited.

The early recruits pick up the scholarship $, can't blame them can you? Who are you blaming as the sport grows things will change, that is a function of growth. It happens in every aspect of life. People need to embrace or when a college coach wants your 9th grade son, say no...

There is no scourge, plenty of opportunities for kids to play this game and never see a college coach. It is the parents clamoring for JR and Maverick and adrenaline to get their kid seen...

I agree with u on some aspects about the growth of the game. And yes I do love it that it has made great strides over the years. A lot of these showcases are money grabs but when you see college coaches on sidelines looking at 9th graders, I just shake my head. I have seen it all too many, some of the studs fizzle out because they were so mature physically then the other boys. Look at Hop they might be done recruiting their 2018 class already. I find it laughable. These lower division 1 schools will reap the benefits down the road I think. I look at my sons 2019 group and they have some real studs at this age group. All of them are so physically mature then the rest. And I know of many smaller boys who haven't reached maturity yet but will be phenomenal players once they reach that stage. Just their size is hurting them right now.
I agree with u on some aspects about the growth of the game. And yes I do love it that it has made great strides over the years. A lot of these showcases are money grabs but when you see college coaches on sidelines looking at 9th graders, I just shake my head. I have seen it all too many, some of the studs fizzle out because they were so mature physically then the other boys. Look at Hop they might be done recruiting their 2018 class already. I find it laughable. These lower division 1 schools will reap the benefits down the road I think. I look at my sons 2019 group and they have some real studs at this age group. All of them are so physically mature then the rest. And I know of many smaller boys who haven't reached maturity yet but will be phenomenal players once they reach that stage. Just their size is hurting them right now.

I agree that there will be a bunch of kids that are physically mature in early 9th grade that will fizzle and some late bloomers that will take their place.

I also have seen first hand with my senior and his team--the kids that were great athletes every year since 3rd and 4th grade, tended to be still great athletes as seniors. Athletic ability tends to stay while the early/late maturity edge seems to fizzle.

It is why I have never been very concerned with the reclass folks, the good ones will be good later, the guys that only get picked because they were bigger in 9th grade...will fail.

I do see how parents get upset because in theory, the reclassed kids takes someone else's spot because he is bigger...

I tend to think early recruiting is good for the game and will grow the sport. I suspect the coaches with the scholorship $ are going to do it until they get burned...
They have recruited earlier then anybody over the years. That's a fact

IMHO JHU was one of the early recruiting culprits along with UVA and UNC ------- UNC is 5-0 and UVA is 3-1

So I do not think that JHU's issue is with th eearly recruiting and you will not really see it for another couple of years as this is really year one of the hyper 9th grade recruiting. The one benefit of Hopkins struggles is the laxpower Hopkins thread after a loss, peeps gettin' their freak on
Saturday, March 7, 2015
D1 Mens games.

Albany. vs. Massachusetts3:00 pm
Colgate. vs. Boston U.2:00 pm
Denver. vs. Notre Dame1:00 pm
Drexel. vs. Bryant1:00 pm
Duke. vs. Loyola1:00 pm
Fuhrman. vs. Mount St. Mary's2:00 pm
Georgetown. vs. Hobart12:00 pm
Harvard. vs. Penn State12:00 pm
Holy Cross. vs. Army1:00 pm
Johns Hopkins. vs. Navy12:00 pm
Lehigh. vs. Bucknell1:00 pm
Marist. vs. High Point12:00 pm
Maryland. vs. Princeton12:00 pm
NJIT. vs. UMass Lowell12:00 pm
North Carolina. vs. Manhattan11:00 am
Ohio State. vs. Hofstra1:00 pm
Penn. vs. Villanova1:00 pm
Providence. vs. Sacred Heart3:00 pm
Quinnipiac. vs. Hartford12:00 pm
Richmond. vs. VMI1:00 pm
Robert Morris. vs. Siena1:00 pm
Saint Joseph's. vs. Monmouth4:00 pm
Syracuse. vs. St. John's1:00 pm
UMBC. vs. Towson1:00 pm
Vermont. vs. Air Force1:00 pm
Virginia. vs. Cornell1:00 pm
Wagner. vs. Dartmouth1:00 pm
Yale. vs. Fairfield1:30 pm

Home team is listed first.
The Nike/LM Top 20 will be updated each Monday throughout the season and is determined by the staff of Lacrosse Magazine.

1 Syracuse
2 North Carolina
3 Denver
4 Notre Dame
5 Duke
6 Virginia
7 Yale
8 Cornell
9 Maryland
10 Marquette
11 Albany
12 Loyola (Md.)
13 Harvard
14 Villanova
15 Princeton
16 Brown
17 Holy Cross
18 Johns Hopkins
19 Army
20 Ohio St.
Hopkins vs Syracuse on NOW. Ch 144 (optimum) ESPNU

CUSE! Nice W
Here is the mens thread. Post away!!
Well doesn't say what division so here's my question and comments.
What happened to dowling? Roster is thin and they really didn't look like they did in the past. Under what terms did Taylor leave? I know he's at SWR. Is this due to budget cuts being the college is in bad shape financially?
Merrimack squeaked one out against adelphi. The brook dominated the face offs and handled UMBC w ease! Anyone know how the rest of our NCAA teams did? Farmingdale game must of been bone chilling!
How about that Duke/Syracuse game?! Wow, that was pretty impressive!!
Congrats to Alex Ryan from CSH who scored the game winner with 23 seconds left in Bucknells win over Lafayette
Any thoughts on who can take down No.1 Notre Dame? Final four predictions anyone?
Any thoughts on who can take down No.1 Notre Dame? Final four predictions anyone?

ND is still No.1, not sure they should be, but who else? Any predictions?
Watch out for Denver. If goalie is seeing the ball you know they will score 12+ goals on offensive side. Never count out the Hop
Watch out for Denver. If goalie is seeing the ball you know they will score 12+ goals on offensive side. Never count out the Hop

If Hopkins can pull it together after losing a player during the season and such a poor start, then that would be one [lacrosse] of a story. Just making the tournament was an achievement for Petro the hometown boy and his team.
who's winning it all?
I've got Maryland
u were obviously way off. pathetic offensive performance by the Terps, no " O " game plan. 1 v 1 with the other 5 players standing around watching? No off ball movement whatsoever. What was Tillman thinking?
u were obviously way off. pathetic offensive performance by the Terps, no " O " game plan. 1 v 1 with the other 5 players standing around watching? No off ball movement whatsoever. What was Tillman thinking?

Karma. Should have made different discipline-related decisions. Slaps on the wrist are not the best way to develop young men.
yeah i agree. I grew tired of watching the 1 v 1 strategy and the hog ball in the Hopkins game so I didn't even watch the national championship. though I did watch Denver play Notre dame and I was impressed with coach Tierney's coaching and how the offense is patient working the ball around the perimeter allowing the offense to develop. that's laCrosse. that win a faceoff and race to the cage and never pass is third grade PAL lacrosse

True, poor coaching cost Maryland. They had no answer for Berg, and Raffa, was out done by the freshman fogo
does the coach survive?
© US Lacrosse Community Forum