@BackOfTheCAGE
Newsday recently changed their online program to cover scores and stats for lacrosse (and other sports). You used to be able to go online and click scores and you would see all the scores for that day.

Now you have to select either Nassau, Suffolk or Private. Especially at this time of year their are a lot of crossover games - Nassau vs. Suffolk, etc. As an example, Huntington girls played Syosset on Wednesday 3/19. The game is listed on the Nassau side, but not on the Suffolk side.

Also, they no longer are listing goalie saves as one of the statistics - they only list goals and assists. How about some love for the goalies and defense?

Maybe Larry can help start a grass roots campaign to get Newsday to make some improvements!
Originally Posted by teamelevate
Newsday recently changed their online program to cover scores and stats for lacrosse (and other sports). You used to be able to go online and click scores and you would see all the scores for that day.

Now you have to select either Nassau, Suffolk or Private. Especially at this time of year their are a lot of crossover games - Nassau vs. Suffolk, etc. As an example, Huntington girls played Syosset on Wednesday 3/19. The game is listed on the Nassau side, but not on the Suffolk side.

Also, they no longer are listing goalie saves as one of the statistics - they only list goals and assists. How about some love for the goalies and defense?

Maybe Larry can help start a grass roots campaign to get Newsday to make some improvements!

My experience with Newsday is not one of success. BOTC is dedicated to ONLY lacrosse....I am open to suggestions as to how BOTC might be able to work with the community to have the coaches come on here and post stats...my phone number is 516.295.0600 and I would be happy to chat with anyone to see if BOTC can set up a mechanism to remedy this situation. Please call after 5p.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Newsday Lacrosse Coverage Changes -
Getting a little out of hand ?????
I agree. It was so much easier to navigate through scores and game standings last year for varsity lax. I wish they would change it back!
Newsday has a kid from Mt. Sinai with 23 pts but the team has scored 22 goals
Originally Posted by Anonymous

If the kid has 15 goals and 8 assists how many points is that?
REALLY? they do count assists as points also.

welcome to lax 101
Check out the MSG Varsity web site.

welcome to lax 101

You guys need to go back to MATH 101. lol
If the team scored a total of 22 goals, it's impossible for someone to have 15 goals and 8 assists. That would total 23 goals!! Good lord......
total still can't exceed 22 if that's all the goals the team scored

Math 101
total still can't exceed 22 if that's all the goals the team scored

Math 101

who reports to newsday?

possibly a hippo, um, typo?

welcome to lax 101

You must be the person keeping the stats, scary.
mt sinai is known for padding stats. they do it every year.
Newsday isn't listing the goalies saves in the game stats anymore. I guess the most important position on the field isn't deserving.
They have left out a day of high school sports last week on Wednesday. No results from Tuesdays games. They NEVER DO THAT TO BASKETBALL.
And no box scores in today's paper from yesterday's games. What the heck?

I don't like the new online format either.
Each day there have been games not listed at all. Last nights 7:00 farmingdale vs Hewlett game for example. It's terrible coverage!
Sorry if this sounds dumb but who gives newsday the "players to watch"? I see on newsdayhighschoolsports on twitter that some girls had their pictures taken, do the coaches submit the names of players? And I don't like the new format either, hard to follow.
In today's paper they had the high school baseball/softball review, have they done the lacrosse review yet? I'm not a newsday subscriber but I would like to check it out if I didn't already miss it.
In today's paper they had the high school baseball/softball review, have they done the lacrosse review yet? I'm not a newsday subscriber but I would like to check it out if I didn't already miss it.

No, they have not covered lacrosse or any other sports yet. I assume they will, though.

I have no idea who chooses the "players to watch." Good question, though.
Every coach sends the players to watch to Newsday
How many names can each coach submit?
lacrosse is not basketball and never will be. basketball is actually a sport,

Now that could be the dumbest comment ever posted on here.
That's not true at all. Coaches do not submit names for watch list to newsday.
yes it is. coaches do submit names. do you think newsday keeps an eye on girls lacrosse and actually knows the best players. let me ask you this, how do those names get there then. should be coming out in newsday this sunday boys and girls lacrosse best teams and players to watch.

Who are you? Only a loser would say that!
yes it is. coaches do submit names. do you think newsday keeps an eye on girls lacrosse and actually knows the best players. let me ask you this, how do those names get there then. should be coming out in newsday this sunday boys and girls lacrosse best teams and players to watch.

If that were the case wouldn't every coach nominate a player or two? How would Newsday figure out who to take and who not to?
Coaches can only submit names of players who have won awards the previous year such as All American, All County, All Conference ect. Coaches usually assign an asst. coach or someone close to the program who sends in the scores, stats after every game and a short write up of the game. Newsday only sends someone out to games that are the so called better games of the weekend. They can't cover every game. Do you think Newsday calls every team for scores ? If a coach or someone does not submit info it does not get in. Why do you think there was no pictures or big story about GC getting smiked by Smithtown. GC coach dos not want that all over paper. By the way nice offense GC. COACH F may actually have to coach this year. Does not have the depth or talent of years past.
Coaches can only submit names of players who have won awards the previous year such as All American, All County, All Conference ect. Coaches usually assign an asst. coach or someone close to the program who sends in the scores, stats after every game and a short write up of the game. Newsday only sends someone out to games that are the so called better games of the weekend. They can't cover every game. Do you think Newsday calls every team for scores ? If a coach or someone does not submit info it does not get in. Why do you think there was no pictures or big story about GC getting smiked by Smithtown. GC coach dos not want that all over paper. By the way nice offense GC. COACH F may actually have to coach this year. Does not have the depth or talent of years past.

Inside Lacrosse sure noticed it! GC dropped in the polls!

Then why didn't Smithtown submit pictures and the story to Newsday? You make it sound like GC has pictures on the Newsday editor!

So then no freshman will be mentioned? I mean, in our school the same kids get mentioned all the time and its not fair. They never ever mention defenders, and even though I play offense I think credit should be given to the defense too.

So then no freshman will be mentioned? I mean, in our school the same kids get mentioned all the time and its not fair. They never ever mention defenders, and even though I play offense I think credit should be given to the defense too.

Amen on the dearth of defense recognition. I'd love to see the defenders get more love.
Because the Home team is suppose to report the scores and unless the opposing coach sends in his own it will not get reported. You would expect the home team to do the right thing win or LOSE BADLY.
Again, that falls on the coach doing the reporting
According to various coaches the players newsday mentioned are upper classmen and/or anyone who was a recipient of an award the year before. Not necessarily based on talent as there are some excellent players already committed to collegiate programs that are not mentioned at all.

Hope this helps, have a great season everyone!
According to various coaches the players newsday mentioned are upper classmen and/or anyone who was a recipient of an award the year before. Not necessarily based on talent as there are some excellent players already committed to collegiate programs that are not mentioned at all.

Hope this helps, have a great season everyone!

Not based on talent that's pretty cold.
It's obvious you are miffed someone was excluded.
But that doesn't negate the talented hard-working girls mentioned.
That was really some in depth CHSAA preview. Geez. Talk about mailing it in.
Coffee.... I just blew it OUT of my nostrils, and ALL OVER my keyboard. Ahhh, fun!
Dude, HUMANS are known for padding stats. Every club, every kid, every parent. Me, you, him, her, them, us. Once in a while somebody gets caught, and some ignorant denial junkie points it out and does some hit-and-run journalism anonymously. I would bet that every team posts inaccurate stats.
You've been baited. Baited by a lonely and bored person. Use this opportunity as an experiment; drop it right here, see it die. It thrives on you. Go back, and see it flourish. See them quip, insult, and derive joy from your frustration. Try it out
Coffee.... I just blew it OUT of my nostrils, and ALL OVER my keyboard. Ahhh, fun!
(regarding the lax 101 thing...18+5.... great stuff! Do be nice, though)
See what I mean. What a difference a week makes. last week GC loses no pictures small article. This week they win pictures and 1/2 page article. You tell me who has influence..
See what I mean. What a difference a week makes. last week GC loses no pictures small article. This week they win pictures and 1/2 page article. You tell me who has influence..

I don't know a thing about GC, I'm from Suffolk, but I do know Sayville, who also garners more than their fair share of Newsday coverage, has a person in the district who takes pics of the teams, writes releases, and submits them both to Newsday. Perhaps GC does as well. How easy is that for Newsday?
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

I don't know a thing about GC, I'm from Suffolk, but I do know Sayville, who also garners more than their fair share of Newsday coverage, has a person in the district who takes pics of the teams, writes releases, and submits them both to Newsday. Perhaps GC does as well. How easy is that for Newsday?

Last year a GC parent wrote an article for the GC paper about their son and themselves in a glowing report. The only thing was that when he submitted it online he forgot to take his name off of it. He got caught pumping his won horn!
Not from either town but if Massapequa had won the article would have had a Massapequa spin. But does money talk yes it's a fact of life move on.
Newsday is horrible and loosing MSG varsity was tragic. Although on Optimum there is a channel 73 which says it is supposed to be "MSG varsity Lacrosse" but it just shows a blue screen with bad music.

Last year a GC parent wrote an article for the GC paper about their son and themselves in a glowing report. The only thing was that when he submitted it online he forgot to take his name off of it. He got caught pumping his won horn!

That's hysterical!
This guys are all over the place. According to the website Farmingdale and Hickville are playing today but the results are already for the game they actually played yesterday. Is there a better site to see the standings and schedule?
Whoever is in charge can they at least get a roster of the teams and get the kids names right. isn't newsday and MSG varsity owned by the same company. Ask the teams for the roster so you can get the names right. in this digital age its so funny to see a stat or a kids name be on the box score under two different names.
What about the stats there's 2-3 Kids in top 10 scoring, but stats are doubled up for some games??
© US Lacrosse Community Forum