@BackOfTheCAGE
Legacy and Riptide Merger Announcement
Big news! And pretty interesting timing. This now the club to watch over the next year.

Best of luck!

ps - whats the club name?
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Big news! And pretty interesting timing. This now the club to watch over the next year.

Best of luck!

This revised club will operate under the Legacy Lacrosse name with a new logo/brand already launched on their web site.
Originally Posted by CageSage

Best of luck!

This revised club will operate under the Legacy Lacrosse name with a new logo/brand already launched on their web site.

Wow, this just blows up everything. At 2021 with two teams combining how many spots will be available to outsiders ?
Wow, this just blows up everything. At 2021 with two teams combining how many spots will be available to outsiders ?

Outsiders? I think they have been clear that every spot open. Now I am not naive - do the coaches - know kids that have played for them better - yes. But I find it hard to believe that they would not take the best 20-22 player they see.

Outsiders? I think they have been clear that every spot open. Now I am not naive - do the coaches - know kids that have played for them better - yes. But I find it hard to believe that they would not take the best 20-22 player they see.

I hope every spot is open and goes to the most deserved player.
Too many more questions. What happens to the Riptide coaches? What happens to the entire teams at multiple age levels that just went poof? Curious timing with upcoming tryouts. This is may be good solely for Legacy but is not good for the players or club lacrosse landscape. RIP RIPtide. Nassau county keeps adding programs and suffolk just lost another one.
Riptide was not one of the most Elite Programs nor were their coaches, so this is a good thing for those coming from Riptide I think, and I have no ties to either program.
Riptide was not one of the most Elite Programs nor were their coaches, so this is a good thing for those coming from Riptide I think, and I have no ties to either program.

The parents and players on Riptide were extremely happy. Now instead of the Parisi being included it the tuition I will have to pay extra with Legacy. Instead of the $995 I can pay $1495 plus extra for winter league, spring league, winter training. This seems like a great way for Zummo to get the best EI and Islip players that play for Riptide but it seems like a horrible deal for Riptide parents and people who were planning on trying out for Riptide. Convenient though that they announce the merge after people have paid for BOTH teams tryouts. Way to go Zummo!
Too many more questions. What happens to the Riptide coaches? What happens to the entire teams at multiple age levels that just went poof? Curious timing with upcoming tryouts. This is may be good solely for Legacy but is not good for the players or club lacrosse landscape. RIP RIPtide. Nassau county keeps adding programs and suffolk just lost another one.

Nassau keeps watering down the club scene fighting to keep kids in their program. This just helped suffolk/nassau to have 2 groups combine to compete against the powerhouses. Lets give it a year and see how it goes. It worked for 91 when they absorbed organizations I bet it will work here. Good Luck to all involved.
Agree, will have the best coaches and players from each organization. Teams and coaching will greatly improve.
At least we do not have to see those hideous green and orange jerseys anymore.

The parents and players on Riptide were extremely happy. Now instead of the Parisi being included it the tuition I will have to pay extra with Legacy. Instead of the $995 I can pay $1495 plus extra for winter league, spring league, winter training. This seems like a great way for Zummo to get the best EI and Islip players that play for Riptide but it seems like a horrible deal for Riptide parents and people who were planning on trying out for Riptide. Convenient though that they announce the merge after people have paid for BOTH teams tryouts. Way to go Zummo!

We wanted to take the time to address some of your concerns:

1. Tryouts - If a player was registered for both tryouts they will receive a refund for one of them.

2. Parisi Speed School is still going to be included.

3. The coaching staffs from Riptide will become a part of legacy.

4. Legacy / Riptide have adjusted there team fee to help accommodate everyone. It is now $1300. Which includes Helmet, Gloves, Uniform, Bag, Practice Jersey,socks and t-shirt. All items that were either not offered or charged extra for. No Hidden Costs.

5. The only thing included in the old $995 tuition - was the tournaments, t-shirt, spring/summer pracrices and parisi. Everything else was done on a team by team basis and cost extra.

The merge was meant to help all the kids and be able to offer them a program that will help them grow as players.

Every Player gets the same opportunity. If your son is good enough to make the team he will be on the team.
I planned on having my kid tryout for Legacy but not Riptide. If the Riptide coaches are going to be the coaches of the legacy teams what's the benefit? I was told all kids are staying as well. Is there really room for new kids ? Could there be more than one team ?
I planned on having my kid tryout for Legacy but not Riptide. If the Riptide coaches are going to be the coaches of the legacy teams what's the benefit? I was told all kids are staying as well. Is there really room for new kids ? Could there be more than one team ?

"They are all staying" meaning they were trying out for legacy anyway. Decisions were just made easy for many.
not for nothin but the Riptide team I saw was pretty tight, parents and coaches. No way they just cut them loose with no assurances from Legacy that they would be taken care off.

They are building an elite program - that is the benefit. This weekend was various (not all) 91 and Express tryouts and 1000s of kids were on those fields from multiple areas. Why... they are the successful. That is what LL is aspiring to be. (And I am not from LL & this not self promoting)
The question still remains what happens to all those kids from Riptide. Is it an open competition or are there spots already filled up from prior Riptide kids.
not for nothin but the Riptide team I saw was pretty tight, parents and coaches. No way they just cut them loose with no assurances from Legacy that they would be taken care off.

What age group?
The question still remains what happens to all those kids from Riptide. Is it an open competition or are there spots already filled up from prior Riptide kids.

Of course there will be spots saved for them
Did you see the list of Legacy coaches?? Insane Not sure anybody needs to worry about coaching at Legacy. The riptide coaches will fit in with them. Not a bad combination.

I would think if they are going through all this and trying to build. They are going to put the best talent together of the kids that show up. I believe the only advantage a current player would have is that a coach has seen the kid develop and if there is new kid and they are about the same - of course they'll opt for the one they know. But if there is clearly better talent - then they'll upgrade. This is my opinion - but I think it makes sense. Probably going to upset a parent or two. I am sure if you ask LL they'll tell you every spot is open - like every club says.
The original poster is THAT NEGATIVE PARENT. Always commenting before facts are known. There always one...Probably two.

Thank you Legacy for clarifying and yes I believe my son will have a much better opportunity within the Legacy organization should be make the team.
Will there still be only one team per age group?
That surfer logo Riptide had was a pretty cool - Long Islandesk logo. Legacy (being based on the South Shore) should look to incorporate that picture some how.

Originally Posted by CageSage

Best of luck!

I spoke to someone who is involved with the guys behind Legacy/Riptide. The goal of putting these teams together was to make a true A team to compete with the big guys and to have an A-, B+, B team whatever that second group of kids are. I think its fair to say that there is plenty of room for kids to make this organization.

Do you need to go to both try outs?

Can someone from Legacy please respond.
Do you need to go to both try outs?

Can someone from Legacy please respond.

You don't need to attend both tryouts. We understand people have multiple tryouts to attend and other commitments. The reason for 2 tryouts is to help accommodate everyone's schedules.
One tryout is fine. We offer both dates in case someone has a conflict.

I spoke to someone who is involved with the guys behind Legacy/Riptide. The goal of putting these teams together was to make a true A team to compete with the big guys and to have an A-, B+, B team whatever that second group of kids are. I think its fair to say that there is plenty of room for kids to make this organization.

Not really. With the combination of the two teams the number of openings on the A team just shrunk, loyalty to past players which is almost always present will fill the majority of the B team and then have a few openings left. There may be a third team but the top two teams will suck up the players who could help carry it. Not saying Legacy did ANYTHING wrong but it is what it is. The merging of these two teams diminishes the chances for outside players. the people I know who had been very interested in this club are now scrambling and trying to firm up back up plans

Not really. With the combination of the two teams the number of openings on the A team just shrunk, loyalty to past players which is almost always present will fill the majority of the B team and then have a few openings left. There may be a third team but the top two teams will suck up the players who could help carry it. Not saying Legacy did ANYTHING wrong but it is what it is. The merging of these two teams diminishes the chances for outside players. the people I know who had been very interested in this club are now scrambling and trying to firm up back up plans

Why? If anything this club got stronger. There wasn't hardly any team overlap. My guess is this will have a few grades of top quality teams. Say from 2020 down. Higher up is tough. However, 2018 A Riptide team was competitive - not Extreme or Terps level - but next notch down. Who knows add a few to that team....
Legacy will take the best kids based on results from tryouts. Entire goal of merger is to create 2 strong teams per age group.
I believe that Legacy did not have a 2019 team last season. So we can jump to conclusions. The 2019 riptide team was not even close to a strong b team. This should be an interesting tryout.
25 spots just shrunk to 10 spots open for outsiders now with the merger. It went from 1 full B team open and maybe a couple of better A kid spots, to a couple of better Legacy A team spots and a couple of better Riptide spots.

Anyone who thinks that these Riptide kids will be displaced is crazy.

I believe originally Zummo was suppose to coach the 2021 team also, but that changed as well. Nothing new for these guys. Very disappointing.
25 spots just shrunk to 10 spots open for outsiders now with the merger. It went from 1 full B team open and maybe a couple of better A kid spots, to a couple of better Legacy A team spots and a couple of better Riptide spots.

I believe originally Zummo was suppose to coach the 2021 team also, but that changed as well. Nothing new for these guys. Very disappointing.

Question: why do we assume that the existing legacy kids will fill an A team - they weren't an A team last year and allot of B B+ players. why not just goto the tryout and see what happens vs complaining. If your kid is good enough he will make the A team if they even have an A team

Question: why do we assume that the existing legacy kids will fill an A team - they weren't an A team last year and allot of B B+ players. why not just goto the tryout and see what happens vs complaining. If your kid is good enough he will make the A team if they even have an A team

Because Zummo has told people he is loyal. Because in order to displace a kid you have to blow him away in tryouts. You have fathers with kids on these teams, think there spot is up for grabs ? We all know they never are and I am not bitching but the truth is that the amount of those spots just doubled. No way Riptide walks away without some promises about certain players. Many of the players you described above will be given spots on the second team. Bottom line , you went from 40 spots with under 20 players returning to 40 spots and around 35 returning players. You went from a wide open B team to this. Again, not saying anything was done wrong here , not complaining but it is what it is. Its like when they draft a guy in the top 10 and the GM says it will be an open competition for that spot, we all know its not true.
Regardless, if the intent of this merger is to compete with the larger programs..... 91, Express, fl$ Etc, which by the way, have multiple teams per age group. The larger teams try outs specifically said just because you had spots last year, doesn't mean it's yours this year. If another player comes in and is more stronger, more talented etc, that kid deserves the spot. They want to field the best team they can.

That being said if they are close in talent, strength etc, then that's the coaches call. Bottom line, the best players should be playing the best players from other teams. I know this might upset parents and players, but it is what it is.
My guess is that Zummo is not the final say on how they go about the business side of this merger. He may be running the tryouts and coaching a few teams but something tells me there are pretty slick business people behind the scenes ensuring that the new Legacy organization is morally and ethically sound because don't be surprised who will be in the running as the top club next year right next to Team91 and Express.............. LEGACY. That being said; everyone will get to compete for an OPEN spot and the best 22 kids will get them. Just like any other organization shows loyalty; if two kids are equal and one is an existing Legacy/riptide player and one is a brand new kid trying out........................ they should give the nod to the Legacy/Riptide kid.

Just an FYI…I think Legacy had ONE team last year (might be 2019, not sure). So this isn’t a “merger” that will effect that many players.
It’s going to be mainly old Riptide players with a new uniform….

Just an FYI…I think Legacy had ONE team last year (might be 2019, not sure). So this isn’t a “merger” that will effect that many players.

2021 was the team and they were pretty good.
I happened to have liked those orange and green uniforms!!!!!@
If they did what 91 did with Stampede I would say yes. But my understanding is that the Riptide team will have its better players go to Legacy A team and its weaker to Legacy B. Fielding a third team will be difficult.

Legacy only had a 2021 team. Riptide had a 2021 and up.

So your right not sure about the term merger, but is still a good thing for the sport, players and families.

So your right not sure about the term merger, but is still a good thing for the sport, players and families.

Don't think it's good for outside players, who were thinking about Legacy

Don't think it's good for outside players, who were thinking about Legacy

Disagree. They can improve every team. If you think this is a jersey switch for Riptide players - I think you are wrong. Riptide was competitive and now the teams get an infusion of the Legacy tryout pool. I wonder what the numbers will look like. I can tell you if you start seeing 60-100 at various ages it will be wide open - regardless of where you played last year. Not to mention a lot of invites from other clubs will go out in between these dates. So those fighting for those A teams and miss will be here will be here. This is solely my opinion - but I wasn't bringing my son down - now I am. Why? That 2018 Riptide team is a notch below the elites and if they can add to the base and fold in Legacy coaching (they already posted the 2018 coach is a Legacy guy) they could compete on the highest level.

Again - my opinion - but that's the way I am looking at this. If I am wrong my son got a 2 hour lax clinic.
Other then 2021 all other years are fine. I don't believe its a good thing for 2021 outsiders. Regardless of the corporate responses they have 2 teams at this age set between them. Unless your kid is a real superstar... Save your money. Hope Im wrong.
I disagree that Riptide was competitive. They played in b pools and barley made the playoffs and some tournaments they didn't make the playoffs.
I disagree that Riptide was competitive. They played in b pools and barley made the playoffs and some tournaments they didn't make the playoffs.

they had an A and B at 2018. And that A team was competitive - at least when we played them.
Other then 2021 all other years are fine. I don't believe its a good thing for 2021 outsiders. Regardless of the corporate responses they have 2 teams at this age set between them. Unless your kid is a real superstar... Save your money. Hope Im wrong.

I guess with merging clubs - one year of overlap isn't bad.
I agree !!! Now, what do you do if you were trying out for Legacy but not Riptide ? It's really a Riptide tryout with a new name and look and will be Riptide players.
It did not say Legacy took over Riptide, it said they " merged" Are you telling me Riptide cast its players to the wind with no more then a "good luck". WOuld you ever do that if you had players under you ? " Hey Riptide parents, great news, we are all know part of legacy and half your kids wont have a place to play lacrosse next year "

[/quote]

Don't think it's good for outside players, who were thinking about Legacy [/quote]

Disagree. They can improve every team. If you think this is a jersey switch for Riptide players - I think you are wrong. Riptide was competitive and now the teams get an infusion of the Legacy tryout pool. I wonder what the numbers will look like. I can tell you if you start seeing 60-100 at various ages it will be wide open - regardless of where you played last year. Not to mention a lot of invites from other clubs will go out in between these dates. So those fighting for those A teams and miss will be here will be here. This is solely my opinion - but I wasn't bringing my son down - now I am. Why? That 2018 Riptide team is a notch below the elites and if they can add to the base and fold in Legacy coaching (they already posted the 2018 coach is a Legacy guy) they could compete on the highest level.

Again - my opinion - but that's the way I am looking at this. If I am wrong my son got a 2 hour lax clinic. [/quote]
Get a life all of you! Do any of you know why the riptide decided to give up an organization they had to join with Zummo's legacy group? My guess to make all of you upset and wine about it. Honestly get a life and tell your son to go out there and pony up. Or is it because your kiss [lacrosse] demeanor won't secure your sons spot.
Couldn't have said it better myself. You all know who you are. Pony up!!!!!!
Get a life all of you! Do any of you know why the riptide decided to give up an organization they had to join with Zummo's legacy group? My guess to make all of you upset and wine about it. Honestly get a life and tell your son to go out there and pony up. Or is it because your kiss [lacrosse] demeanor won't secure your sons spot.

They both looked at their organizations teams and found very little overlap. My guess is the 2018 & 2019 numbers prior to the merger were light. Now you get a bunch of Riptide players at that level - and peaked interest from players that wouldn't have shown up - and presto - you get a competitive team out of the gate. None of this haphazard, it is a calculated well thought out business plan. Business, let me say it again Business. They will go from one team - to fielding multiple teams 2023-2018 in a year. be interested to hear everyone's perspective tomorrow after tryouts.
Is it true ? I heard Legacy just bought out Apple, IBM, and Microsoft.
I think that riptide was a good local based club, with the addition of Tom Zummo and the other A list coaching staff, a lot of interest will be coming from stronger players throughout suffolk county.

They both looked at their organizations teams and found very little overlap. My guess is the 2018 & 2019 numbers prior to the merger were light. Now you get a bunch of Riptide players at that level - and peaked interest from players that wouldn't have shown up - and presto - you get a competitive team out of the gate. None of this haphazard, it is a calculated well thought out business plan. Business, let me say it again Business. They will go from one team - to fielding multiple teams 2023-2018 in a year. be interested to hear everyone's perspective tomorrow after tryouts.
I'll bring my son down to check it out but what initially made this program appealing - one team per age group, paid coaches(no parents),and commitment to building an "elite" team is watered down by the Riptide merger. Starting to smell like a money grab. Why did try out fee just jump from $50 to $75?

I'll bring my son down to check it out but what initially made this program appealing - one team per age group, paid coaches(no parents),and commitment to building an "elite" team is watered down by the Riptide merger. Starting to smell like a money grab. Why did try out fee just jump from $50 to $75?

I think everything is still the same. However, I don't think the money grab is right. They are evenly priced. They deserve the benefit of the doubt since they appear to be doing everything right. And if they don't deliver they won't get the same attention next year. And you got 3 hours of a Zummo clinic on the cheap. So glad these tryouts are tomorrow. I wish teams would post how many kids are coming. I see some negative and positive in doing that, but what's difference.

I think everything is still the same. However, I don't think the money grab is right. They are evenly priced. They deserve the benefit of the doubt since they appear to be doing everything right. And if they don't deliver they won't get the same attention next year. And you got 3 hours of a Zummo clinic on the cheap. So glad these tryouts are tomorrow. I wish teams would post how many kids are coming. I see some negative and positive in doing that, but what's difference.

Good luck to everyone at tryouts tomorrow!

they had an A and B at 2018. And that A team was competitive - at least when we played them.

their A team was competative against B teams no t so against other A teams
Registration online is closed, walk up registration is still open. Please if you have any questions please email mbrennan@legacylacrosseli.com
Originally Posted by LEGACY
Registration online is closed, walk up registration is still open. Please if you have any questions please email mbrennan@legacylacrosseli.com

Good luck today! A new dawn for your organization. We are busy today, but we will see you next week.
Originally Posted by LEGACY

Good luck today! A new dawn for your organization. We are busy today, but we will see you next week.

Fast easy!
So 70+ at 2021 tryout -few line drills that know paid attention, 1x1 ground balls when each maybe got 3 chances, then 1x1 at top of box (maybe 3 touches again), the fart breaks with little rotation - 2 touches, then a scrimmage for about 7-8 mins - two team sharing one field. Then Zummo speech about coming back next week to get a fair look.

Seems like good staff and ideology but not a tryout I can say really gave any one kid a good evaluation. Most of the coaches where seem with teir backs to the field on a few occasions.

If they weren't focusing on allot of 91 helmets and a few others not sure how anyone had the chance to stand out
Legacy looks like it is for real. Very organized. 60 or 70 kids trying out per age group. I think they had the entire stony brook university lacrosse team running drills. Zummo seems to be a first class guy. I think Long Island has another top notch program. A lot of talent today!
Its easy to tell the standouts , and they did. Where it gets tough is if your kid is a solid A- B Plus player. They will take the best kids of Legacy and Riptide and sprinkle in 4 or 5 standouts. If you are looking to make the second team it will be hard. A lot of kids with the same talent level but lets face it, tie goes to the runner , in this case Legacy and Riptide kids will get those spots unless other kids blow then away.
So 70+ at 2021 tryout -few line drills that know paid attention, 1x1 ground balls when each maybe got 3 chances, then 1x1 at top of box (maybe 3 touches again), the fart breaks with little rotation - 2 touches, then a scrimmage for about 7-8 mins - two team sharing one field. Then Zummo speech about coming back next week to get a fair look.

Seems like good staff and ideology but not a tryout I can say really gave any one kid a good evaluation. Most of the coaches where seem with teir backs to the field on a few occasions.

If they weren't focusing on allot of 91 helmets and a few others not sure how anyone had the chance to stand out
Legacy looks like it is for real. Very organized. 60 or 70 kids trying out per age group. I think they had the entire stony brook university lacrosse team running drills. Zummo seems to be a first class guy. I think Long Island has another top notch program. A lot of talent today!

this sounds like an ad from one of the directors. opposite of post above it
Impressive stuff at the Legacy tryout today for sure. Well run and some good talent at the young ages. If you say anything other than that you are just being a hater and there is no need. We'll all see what they look like in a few months. We're talking about kids that are 10 years of age & under. Lighten up people.
Really, I thought it was one of the best tryouts I have been to. Kids Got a lot of touches. Parents I was sitting next to seemed thrilled.
Sound like your kid is getting cut!
Or maybe, just maybe I am a parent looking for a quality club for my kid and was impressed today. It was nice to have someone actually explain the goals of the program and seem genuinely interested in helping kids get better and providing something of value. Far cry from some other clubs.
Really, I thought it was one of the best tryouts I have been to. Kids Got a lot of touches. Parents I was sitting next to seemed thrilled.

They got a lot of touches during the drills, the scrimmage seemed pressed for time . They had 4 teams worth of kids and little time. 91 had two fields going at once and the kids got a lot of scrimmage time. I thought they might go over by 15 or 20 minutes but they didnt. From what I saw it appeared that the first scrimmage group was made up of Legacy/riptide kids and the kids that really popped out in drills but I wasnt counting helmets decals do I could be off. They could easily produce a legit A and two B teams but I dont know if they will endeavor to do that. I am guessing two teams . They should eliminate the kids they already know will be A next try out and let the others battle it out
Based on the quality I saw today legacy will be a top 3 or 4 program on long island.
I thought all the numbers at every age were strong - with the exception of 2018. 2019 - 2022 should all field solid A teams (notably the 2020 age group). Elite level - not yet, but they'll be a winning team. 2018 was just okay - if they take the best kids they'll at best be a solid B level team.
Agree, 2019, 2020, and 2021 will all be very competitive teams. Did not see it myself, but one of the coaches was raving about the 2nd grade team. I know that's crazy discussing a 2 nd grade team. Just reporting what I was told. A lot more kids then I thought would be at tryouts. Good overall experience hoping my son makes the team.
Overheard a few folks who said they were going straight to 91 from Legacy tryouts. Can you give an overall comparison to the two tryouts. Players talent and the format.

Agree, 2019, 2020, and 2021 will all be very competitive teams. Did not see it myself, but one of the coaches was raving about the 2nd grade team. I know that's crazy discussing a 2 nd grade team. Just reporting what I was told. A lot more kids then I thought would be at tryouts. Good overall experience hoping my son makes the team.
Overheard a few folks who said they were going straight to 91 from Legacy tryouts. Can you give an overall comparison to the two tryouts. Players talent and the format.

hard comparison because there is already a core talent pool at 91.
Based on the quality I saw today legacy will be a top 3 or 4 program on long island.

Please don't get crazy, You have no idea what other teams are doing and who will take a spot on legacy.
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the 5th grade coaches? Good, bad or indifferent. Thanks
Very good. Bios are on the website. The entire coaching staff seems to be very solid
Phone calls are going out now for Legacy 2020
How many teams at the 2018 age group. And which one if there is more than one will be the A team. Decisions need to be made by Friday. Appreciate if a Legacy person answers this.
How many teams at the 2018 age group. And which one if there is more than one will be the A team. Decisions need to be made by Friday. Appreciate if a Legacy person answers this.

They already said an A and B at 2018.
2018 A coaches are Keith Scheidel and Pat Sullivan and there will also be a B team coached by Kevin Travis and Jeremy Smith

Emails for 2018 heading out shortly
Originally Posted by LegacyLacrosse
2018 A coaches are Keith Scheidel and Pat Sullivan and there will also be a B team coached by Kevin Travis and Jeremy Smith

2022 going out soon too?

Did 2019 invites go out yet?

Really? Nothing yet
My son received invite for 2020 team taz. May be the best youth coaching staff I have seen. Tommy Zummo, Chris Fiore ( former teewarton finalist) and John Calabria ( Syosset Head varsity lacrosse coach) not bad for a bunch of 11 year olds.....
did 2019 invites go out yet?
Any word on the 2021 teams yet?
2019 who is a team who is b team ? Is the b team coach the same as last year, is this really still riptide plus a few new boys
This is Torture!!!!!!!!

Really? Nothing yet

did anything go out for 2018 last night?
I know some went out? Did they all go out?
Ck ur email now
I know some went out? Did they all go out?
Zummo sent a personal welcome to all the players telling which team that you are on and some other important details. A lot of the emails were blocked so that certain groups did not receive the invites.
My son is so pumped after receiving the confirmation email on making 6th grade Team Taz. More impressive was the fact that Tommy Zummo called me personally to congratulate us. That has never happened before. Very impressive followup.
no. riptide is the a team.
Just as an FYI, plenty of quality Riptide Boys on "B" tean to dude!
Zummo sent a personal welcome to all the players telling which team that you are on and some other important details. A lot of the emails were blocked so that certain groups did not receive the invites.

I have heard nothing. Pretty sad. I had had friend who said he left several messages for Zummo that where never returned.
Is the legacy website down? I have been trying to get on all day.
I am on it. It's legacylacrosseli.com
Thats not true, Zummo has taken the time to talk to many people who have had questions about his team. He is very approachable, I've called other organizations like 91, and Express and never received a response. I know that he has called everyone of the teams that he is coaching and welcomed them to the organization. A CLASS ACT ALL THE WAY!
Lets not get petty here. There are many age groups involved and I am sure both the A and B teams have players from Riptide.

2021 Was already a Legacy team so not sure your talking Them 2020 Was a good Riptide team could be them with added parts
2019 Had quality players I could see them split apart to A&B.
2018 not sure what happened to their D from Last year. Could be them just add D.

Lets not declare A or B was a Riptide team from last year. That ship has sailed.

no. riptide is the a team.
Zummo has literally been calling families and kids day and night. I know him personally and know that he is calling families for 4-5 hours everyday. He's one person who 500 people want to talk to. Also, his phone is ringing off the hook every 2 seconds with parents called to say thank you, complain, [lacrosse], ask for help etc. Cut him some slack. The guy is working 24/7 to reach out to everyone he can. I don't hear anyone from 91 or Express doing this and they never will.
More importantly than where the riptide players were placed was that they were all placed, therefore it really was not a tryout for all new spots. I understand loyalty to the kids that played riptide, but then the directors should not have stated the best kids would be selected. Good luck to all the kids anyway.

All clubs with established teams should really at some point stop the big fundraising and list which positions they are really looking to field.
I am sure all this negative posts are from crazy dad who's son was unfortunately not asked to be on a time which stinks. But please don't make up lies. I know at least 15 kids who received notification and a personal call from a coach. It stinks not making a team but really give it a break!
The 2021 A team is NOT made up of last year legacy players. A lot of new faces this year which is why they were placed in an A bracket.
The 2021 A team is NOT made up of last year legacy players. A lot of new faces this year which is why they were placed in an A bracket.

I am sure its not. The question is what is the B team made up of ? Are there new faces on it, or are they all Legacy and Riptide players ? It will be interesting to see if any Riptde or Legacy players who wanted to return did NOT make either team. The question is, if the player was legit b team player did he ever have a real chance ? Did every age group except 2021 have what in reality amounted to 25 open spots while 2021 had 10. I think its a fair point
Zummo has literally been calling families and kids day and night. I know him personally and know that he is calling families for 4-5 hours everyday. He's one person who 500 people want to talk to. Also, his phone is ringing off the hook every 2 seconds with parents called to say thank you, complain, [lacrosse], ask for help etc. Cut him some slack. The guy is working 24/7 to reach out to everyone he can. I don't hear anyone from 91 or Express doing this and they never will.

Agree, 91 is a horror show
We did not play with the 2021 Legacy team last year but we made the team this year.
Hope the 2020 Riptide team stays together. What a great group of boys!!!

I am sure its not. The question is what is the B team made up of ? Are there new faces on it, or are they all Legacy and Riptide players ? It will be interesting to see if any Riptde or Legacy players who wanted to return did NOT make either team. The question is, if the player was legit b team player did he ever have a real chance ? Did every age group except 2021 have what in reality amounted to 25 open spots while 2021 had 10. I think its a fair point

It's true..the true top players went to A..maybe a few riptide, a few legacy, and a few top notch new players. The B teams have ALL existing Riptide and Legacy players...it's amazaging that no existing players were sent off. It was "all spots are open". That was a Farce. If they said only a limited amount of spots were available, then 40 of the 100 tryouts would not have come down costing them $3K. Times that by 5 or 6 grades....very disappointed.
We did not play with the 2021 Legacy team last year but we made the team this year.
or Riptide!

It's true..the true top players went to A..maybe a few riptide, a few legacy, and a few top notch new players. The B teams have ALL existing Riptide and Legacy players...it's amazaging that no existing players were sent off. It was "all spots are open". That was a Farce. If they said only a limited amount of spots were available, then 40 of the 100 tryouts would not have come down costing them $3K. Times that by 5 or 6 grades....very disappointed.

I am quite sure they did not pass up on any talented players. The players who may not have received an invite were probably those that may have taken the last few spots. In many cases they proably matched comparably to the prior players from either organization last year.

The tryout was fair, spots were open.

Cage be careful on this, they are asking to single out a child.
Cage be careful on this, they are asking to single out a child.
Thank you for the heads-up and no one single child will be identified here. Next post please.
I have been to many tryouts the past few years. If coming out of a tryout you do not feel as if your child was a top performer there is no telling what they are looking for and if your child will make the team.

Now if you believe they were a top performer and didn't make the team there are two options:
The tryout wasn't fair
You need to change the color of your glasses

I have been to many tryouts the past few years. If coming out of a tryout you do not feel as if your child was a top performer there is no telling what they are looking for and if your child will make the team.

Now if you believe they were a top performer and didn't make the team there are two options:
The tryout wasn't fair
You need to change the color of your glasses

Thank you Bob Barker...i will go with answer A

You are way wrong. My son played for Legacy last season and was cut this year. As were a bunch of other Legacy kids. My son is crushed. If they kept 8 total Legacy kids from last year on both teams combined that would be a lot. I think the 2 2021 teams they have are both going into A brackets from what I am told. They decided to not have a 3rd team at the 2021 level for whatever reason. There were at least 6 kids that I know that are real good players that got cut. It stinks!!
"No existing players were sent off" from where?
You are way wrong. My son played for Legacy last season and was cut this year. As were a bunch of other Legacy kids. My son is crushed. If they kept 8 total Legacy kids from last year on both teams combined that would be a lot. I think the 2 2021 teams they have are both going into A brackets from what I am told. They decided to not have a 3rd team at the 2021 level for whatever reason. There were at least 6 kids that I know that are real good players that got cut. It stinks!!

Sorry to hear that...take a look at the top of this page though - there are some other teams holding 2021 tryouts this weekend. Maybe those 6 kids can still find a good home.
Sorry fir your child but how did you find out he was cut since no rosters were posted? Are you just assuming that since you were not called yesterday?
91 is a class act inside and out..They posted the Pinny numbers used at the tryout so you don't have to waist hours and hours calling people...just post the numbers and your done..

Agree, 91 is a horror show
Legacy only KEPT 6 or so players. It's about 14 that need to find a new team!
Icon, Millon, DUne Dawgs still have tryouts as well as Recon and Jetsers

Sorry to hear that...take a look at the top of this page though - there are some other teams holding 2021 tryouts this weekend. Maybe those 6 kids can still find a good home.

I'm another former Legacy parent. My understanding is they only kept 6 Legacy kids. So it's the rest of the team (about 15 boys?) that need to find a new team at this late date in the try-out season. Very sad for the kids and for the families who thought it was a great first season and thought we'd grow with this new organization or at least get another year with them after going in blind last year. Guess it is what it is. Just left a bad taste with me.
Letter on legacylacrosseli.com website re. Tryouts
Legacy only KEPT 6 or so players. It's about 14 that need to find a new team!

Hard to believe. that means Zummo put together a team last year, coached them for a year and the result was 70% of them couldnt make his B team ?
Any Varsity players receive calls and/or email?
Yes my Son made Varsity A Tommy called about 4:30 today

I'm another former Legacy parent. My understanding is they only kept 6 Legacy kids. So it's the rest of the team (about 15 boys?) that need to find a new team at this late date in the try-out season. Very sad for the kids and for the families who thought it was a great first season and thought we'd grow with this new organization or at least get another year with them after going in blind last year. Guess it is what it is. Just left a bad taste with me.

Two other people said 14 legacy kids were offered spots on A and B

Two other people said 14 legacy kids were offered spots on A and B

in my opinion - lotsa palm pressing and promises were made to go from one team to this in a year
I know that they have at least 6 old legacy people on the AA team and a few on the other team. (2021) The tryouts were fair! They had over 60 kids for this age group and unfortunetly some of the kids did not make the team. You should never put all of your eggs in one basket.
I know that they have at least 6 old legacy people on the AA team and a few on the other team. (2021) The tryouts were fair! They had over 60 kids for this age group and unfortunetly some of the kids did not make the team. You should never put all of your eggs in one basket.

Go tryout for ICON going to be a great program
Remember last year everyone was claiming legacy 2021 team was an "A" team.We know how that turned out. It is premature to call any team an "A" or "AA" team until after the summer season starts. This year I have seen on BOTC many posts claiming teams are now "A" not only from legacy but also the Jesters and the Outlaws too. The only 2021 teams that can at this point claim to be an "A" or even "AA" team are those that had that status and played in the "A" division this past summer. These teams are in no order Igloo, 91, Team Long Island, Express, ICON (only because they have most of the Turf Island kids)and maybe the Wild Katz. Some of these "A" teams may have lost players and are no longer "A" and other teams that are not posting probably feel they got a lot better. Point is wait until play starts and see if your team plays "A" and see how they do before you call teams an "A" team. I hope there are more "A" teams and I hope these teams do make it to that status. We need more "A" teams here.
Well said....Those teams you mentioned are legitimate A teams, maybe with the exception of Wildkatz who are a B team. Notice how NONE of those teams are posting anything in regard to how good they are...Careful what you wish for Legacy.....These teams will "smacked you in the mouth" come game day. Lets see what we have before we start declaring how good we are?
Well said....Those teams you mentioned are legitimate A teams, maybe with the exception of Wildkatz who are a B team. Notice how NONE of those teams are posting anything in regard to how good they are...Careful what you wish for Legacy.....These teams will "smacked you in the mouth" come game day. Lets see what we have before we start declaring how good we are?

Their certainly will be a bullseye on the So called "AA" team in 2021

There will be many teams looking forward to play the 2020 and 2021 Legacy teams.
These have been the age groups with a ridiculous amount of self-promoting hype for this new group.

There will be many teams looking forward to play the 2020 and 2021 Legacy teams.
These have been the age groups with a ridiculous amount of self-promoting hype for this new group.

How will the Legacy 2020 AA team stack up against 91 Crush and Express Terps? That will determine if they are a AA team. Actions speak louder than words.......
We should all keep paying $75 to $100 tryout fees. I would love read a thank you note from Legacy for the $75 contribution to assist in keeping the tuition at $1,300. There is a lot of talk on the soccer fields and LIRR platforms that CERTAIN teams did not ADD any new faces. There were no cuts, just filling vacancies left by players that moved up. Think about it - you are the riptide coach of a team for a few years, doing well, getting your kids to play a certain way and then you are told your team will be blown up? Coaches egos would not allow it. And as far as the number or Express and 91 kids at the tryouts --- Legacy is local for the towns of Islip and Babylon, Express and 91 practice in Nassau - a hike at rush hour during the week.

I don't see Legacy 2021 being an "A" team. Reading above post they had 60 kids at the 2021 tryouts. If 40 of those kids came from Riptide and legacy (both B teams last year) and the tryouts were after Igloo, Express, 91 and others who I know took "A" players, there could not be that many "A" players left for legacy. Add to the mix the terible location of the practices I don't see how they could have attracted enough great players to compete as an "A" or "AA" team.
I don't see Legacy 2021 being an "A" team. Reading above post they had 60 kids at the 2021 tryouts. If 40 of those kids came from Riptide and legacy (both B teams last year) and the tryouts were after Igloo, Express, 91 and others who I know took "A" players, there could not be that many "A" players left for legacy. Add to the mix the terible location of the practices I don't see how they could have attracted enough great players to compete as an "A" or "AA" team.

I disagree but not because I am a LL ( legacy Lemming) Both the original Legacy and Riptide teams had about 5 A players each. ALong with Zummos 91 ties and a disastrous run 2012 Expres team there where another 4 to 6 players of A caliber around. People In SUffolk don't want to travel to play for Igloo. So they will have a legit A team, good enough to beat the 91, Igloo or TEam Long Island ? Maybe a reach, but they will be competitive with them
No one will beat crush this year and express terps will beat legacy at 2020. But should be a decent game. Can't anyone be happy that there will be another good team around. Don't we want good competition? Or is the idea to just have 2 teams beat everyone by 20 goals? You people are NUTS
No one will beat crush this year and express terps will beat legacy at 2020. But should be a decent game. Can't anyone be happy that there will be another good team around. Don't we want good competition? Or is the idea to just have 2 teams beat everyone by 20 goals? You people are NUTS

You already know that Express vs. Legacy should be a decent game, and these other people are nuts?
Jk wishful thinking
Jk wishful thinking

What does Jk mean?
We should all keep paying $75 to $100 tryout fees. I would love read a thank you note from Legacy for the $75 contribution to assist in keeping the tuition at $1,300. There is a lot of talk on the soccer fields and LIRR platforms that CERTAIN teams did not ADD any new faces. There were no cuts, just filling vacancies left by players that moved up. Think about it - you are the riptide coach of a team for a few years, doing well, getting your kids to play a certain way and then you are told your team will be blown up? Coaches egos would not allow it. And as far as the number or Express and 91 kids at the tryouts --- Legacy is local for the towns of Islip and Babylon, Express and 91 practice in Nassau - a hike at rush hour during the week.

the fix was in and I believe they owe me $75 !

I agree...no dog in this hunt...BUT...My son was promised a spot on the 2018 A team and he didn't even have to attend the tryout. We were already committed, so we did not accept. But this goes on everywhere...

I agree...no dog in this hunt...BUT...My son was promised a spot on the 2018 A team and he didn't even have to attend the tryout. We were already committed, so we did not accept. But this goes on everywhere...

That is very disappointing - if that's the case.

That is very disappointing - if that's the case.

OMG another faceless and nameless critic or lets say claim. This is confirmed by who. Did you know I am the greatest lacrosse player in the world. Its true because I said so. If your case is true would you really think your son is the first to have had a spot reserved for him on a team. Look over at 91 and Express it happens all the time. Promises of positions are made just to keep a player from going to another organization and then bamm your on the B team.
Legacy teams playing in Halloween Havoc, will be interesting to see how they perform! Can't wait!
Have they even had a practice.... Oh Boy!

Legacy teams playing in Halloween Havoc, will be interesting to see how they perform! Can't wait!
Have they even had a practice.... Oh Boy!

Yes they have, guess your a hater of 11 year olds to make a comment like that ....Sad
You what's hysterical?! The Legacy 2019 team calling themselves a AA team. They've not ever played a game together and they are a AA team. This is a dorm Riptide team is it not? They couldn't win in the B division last year.
You what's hysterical?! The Legacy 2019 team calling themselves a AA team. They've not ever played a game together and they are a AA team. This is a dorm Riptide team is it not? They couldn't win in the B division last year.

What is wrong with you?
We can all agree AA is not a label any new team should have, especially without practicing (have they even practiced), but from what I've heard, I wouldn't call it last years team either. Let's see how this weekend goes. Should be interesting.

Better than never playing together and going in a "B" bracket for the win.

the Legacy team in the B bracket has a great shot of doing well. 2 big changes different coach & new goalie to name a few.

© US Lacrosse Community Forum