@BackOfTheCAGE
What does anyone know about this? We got an invite through the HS but not much info was included, just dates and prices. Is this some showcase? A money maker and if so for whom?
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
What does anyone know about this? We got an invite through the HS but not much info was included, just dates and prices. Is this some showcase? A money maker and if so for whom?

It is national school girls $35 school should have given u website- last day to sign up for tryouts istorrow
No, didn't give a website for registration. All in all I feel like I only got half the story.

One thing I did hear is that HS coaches are allowed to nominate five field players and there are seven cuts from the initial turnout.
My daughter's hs coach has forwarded nothing about this to any of the girls. What is the info?
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My daughter's hs coach has forwarded nothing about this to any of the girls. What is the info?

Last day to register was today and he/she should have given you the website and his/ her us lax # to register
Thank you. I am wondering if I should complain that this was never forwarded to the girls. He never gives them any information about tryouts like this.
I did get that via email from the coach. I got mixed reviews from local word of mouth about the value of the tournament though, and I'm still not sure what the purpose is. I did hear it's run by CR and heavy on YJ participation, FWIW, but honestly since nothing is on the US Lacrosse website that could just be hearsay.
I did get that via email from the coach. I got mixed reviews from local word of mouth about the value of the tournament though, and I'm still not sure what the purpose is. I did hear it's run by CR and heavy on YJ participation, FWIW, but honestly since nothing is on the US Lacrosse website that could just be hearsay.
We have done some detailed digging with US Lacrosse via telephone. Is this the web site that references the event (2011 coverage provided)?

Women's Division National Tournament

Maybe he is trying to save your money for you.
Yes, CageSage, that is the correct link.
E

Not sure where you obtained that info but it is not a yj or cr thing- it is part of us lax and each coach can pick 5 kids to send to try outs- if they are chosen then they play over memorial day weekend- big recruiting event
Here is the public link for the US Lacrosse Women's National Tournament (WNT) for 2012:

http://www.uslacrosse.org/TopNav2Right/Events/2012NationalTournament.aspx

The tourney is run by US Lacrosse in conjunction with the NCAA Division I Final Four Championship games. Teams from all over the U.S. play. This Memorial Day weekend the college Div. I Women's Final Four is at Stony Brook Univ. The WNT tourney is played Sat / Sun during the day at SBU before the college playoff games. High school players do not have to be affiliated with a travel club. Tryouts are at the end of April. Each varsity high school coach can nominate up to 5 players to attend tryouts being held at Ward Melville HS. Due to the large number of varsity programs on Long Island, Long Island as a region (US Lax Chapter)enters three squads. It is a well run event and because it is held on Championship weekend at the same venue, a ton of college coaches attend, scout, and recruit. Separately, US Lacrosse holds a HS Senior game (see the link). No coach's nominations or tryouts are held. Seniors who want to play can register and enjoy the experience and cool gear they receive.
Thank you for all the information. It would have been nice if my daughter's hs coach had forwarded this to us. I guess he felt he didn't have anyone to nominate even though several girls on his losing team play travel ball for good teams and are being recruited for colleges. He is a terrible coach who does not deserve the privilege of being a coach. I figured that even if my daughter did not make one of the schoolgirls teams it would have been a nice way to have been seen by some college coaches.
Thanks for the info!
Tryouts were today. Congrats to the girls who made a team.

Was supposed to be non political, but understand that there was one girl who was cut in the first round whose mother screamed and complained to all of the judges until she could go back out again. Interesting that they would make that exception. Of course it was a YJ from middle country...

Was supposed to be non political, but understand that there was one girl who was cut in the first round whose mother screamed and complained to all of the judges until she could go back out again. Interesting that they would make that exception. Of course it was a YJ from middle country...

Oh my God that is totally untrue!!
My daughter ended up not going to tryouts but I spoke with the parent of a girl who did go. That parent's perspective, from her daughter (who doesn't play travel so doesn't know the political landscape) and another friend who also tried out, was that it was very political.

The coaches seemed to know certain girls. Okay, small world of lax on LI but I'd like to know who the evaluators are. Feel free to read between the lines on that statement.

This parent said entire teams were there, which from what I understand should be impossible if these girls are nominated, five a year, by their HS coaches. So how could entire teams be invited?

I heard there were 200 - 300 girls there, four teams selected. Also, there were juniors there with verbal commitments (as told by those girls to my friend's daughter). I'm not keen on the thought of those girls taking the spots of girls who could use the exposure.

So my question, still, is where does the $ go at $35 per tryout? Does it all go to US Lacrosse? $35 is not breaking the bank but I'd still like to know who is getting my donation.

All in all, a great lack of transparency IMO regarding this endeavor.
I'm glad that my daughter decided to sit it out this year. I have no interest in dealing with the CR/YJ madness.

Oh...I'm gonna brag.....but my daughter is the best defender that you never heard of.....but in a few weeks you will come playoff time!

Congrats to all that "made" the cut! Wonder who they club for???

Come on, like that would happen in the first place someone yelling and screaming at the coaches. Please. Don't spread rumors like that about a kid who played hard enough to make a team.
Why should the kids that are committed not have the opportunity to try out. Why shouldn't the best be able to play. Is it because most kids that are already committed are the best the Island has to offer and that other kids not committed might not deserve to be there. My kid tried out for 3 straight years and finally made it in her junior year (she was committed by than) but she had a great time playing with other committed and non committed kids. She was not a YJ and yes she did say that all 3 years were political but she wanted to tryout it was not up to me it was left up to her. Get used to it it will only get worse. When coaches are running club teams and than become evaluators what do you think is going to happen.

sounds like this team is a fraud..
I heard there were 200 - 300 girls there, four teams selected. Also, there were juniors there with verbal commitments (as told by those girls to my friend's daughter). I'm not keen on the thought of those girls taking the spots of girls who could use the exposure.

there were freshman and sophmores there that have verbal commitments. I think these teams are a joke. there were supposed to be 5 kids per High school team trying out, some schools had lots more than that, and previous poster claims that there were full teams there.
I don't care who tries out but School girls is suppose to be a recruiting tournament. A college coach does not want to come watch a team with everyone committed. My daughter made it the last two years so I am not unhappy. just seems this thing has taken on a different objective. And to have so many coaches who run YJ seems crazy.
Most selectors were NOT from YJ. The disgusting coach from EI a selector while daughter is in tryout!! Conflict of interest TG !! I bet his daughter made a team.
Total conflict of interest (EI coach), although one would hope he was not allowed to evaluate his own daughter.
To the poster whose daughter made the team two year in a row:

I also heard that it's pretty unlikely for a freshman or sophomore to be selected for a team. Has that been your experience?
Not so sure that most were from the yellow jackets!!!!
Liberty, 91, top guns all had coaches there....
I do think that your high school coach needs to be there to fight for their players if they belong on a team.
A coach who has a child at try outs should NOT be involved SORRY this is not a school team.
The kids are not stupid they know who the players are and who had good try outs.
Judges should be adults here and be honest!!!
Schools should follow the rules and only send the correct amount of players. Who is in charge and watching this. Everybody complains for a change of director BUT we end up with the same problem of favoritism toward their players or friends players. THE GIRLS ARE NOT STUPID THEY KNOW WHO BELONGS !!!!!!
Seriously folks, there were many MANY deserving YJs that absolutely did NOT make it through. The pot shots you all will take to knock the YJs is really getting quite old. If you all know so much about who is in and who is not, then really be the adult and realize that there were some very deserving girls, YJ or not, who did not make the cut. Give credit where credit is due, please. This is not a CR run event. She does not run the world like you all like to believe. Stop hiding behind that as your excuse for everything bad that goes on in the lax world. Congrats to ALL the girls that made it, and to those who didn't, this is not the end of your world, hang in there, try again next year if you can, keep your love of the game a priority. I am in awe of all that you young athlestes achieve and work for. Don't let parents muddy the waters for you.
Most selectors were NOT from YJ. The disgusting coach from EI a selector while daughter is in tryout!! Conflict of interest TG !! I bet his daughter made a team.

How do they get away with this when it is supposed to be a US sanctioned lacrosse tryout? There were quiet a few good kids that were not selected. Not sure what they were looking for. I believe that the selectors were pretty evenly chosen from different areas - I think only 3 were yj. But I did hear that one school took almost their entire team-that is unfortunate because it makes the playing field that much larger and less spots for other kids. Politics as usual
It has been a joke for years! Kyra Harney should have made it, but I guess that's her punishment for beating CR's Northport team. I saw a girl try out that didn't catch one ball. A girl who through crisp clean hard passes (who was dropped to a lower team for YJ's)She made the Blue and was coddled by CR. Case and point! It's great if CR takes you under her wing. If not, too bad, keep sending your money though. Cha-ching, need that hair dyed.
Do they post the names of the girls who made the team?
It has been a joke for years! Kyra Harney should have made it, but I guess that's her punishment for beating CR's Northport team. I saw a girl try out that didn't catch one ball. A girl who through crisp clean hard passes (who was dropped to a lower team for YJ's)She made the Blue and was coddled by CR. Case and point! It's great if CR takes you under her wing. If not, too bad, keep sending your money though. Cha-ching, need that hair dyed.
Come on Kyra didn't make a team B.S. the fix is in , so what entire team made it in?

Carol was not even there!
two sophomore defenders from our school made it, while a junior midfielder and sophomore mid/att did not

Every thread you go, everybody has major issues with this player, that parent, these coaches and especially with CR. Someone has mentioned griping parents ruining the sport for the girls, while some of the whining seems petty and silly, much of it really does hit home on the politics involved. That being said, it not always parents making these boards ugly, its the poltical crap that goes on that parents have no control over. As ugly as this crap being exposed is, it is actually good to have a forum like this to blow the lid off some of the shannigans that go on.

Carol was not even there!

She doesn't need to be as she left a list of names!
You parents need to calm down. So what if CR has a monopoly???? Just find another route, like I did.

Besides.....THERE ARE NO FULL ATHLETIC RIDES IN LACROSSE....the average is around 25% for an incoming freshman.Many of you are spending >25k; only to get about <5k a year......such a waste of funds......I say go watch the Nat'l Semi's and Finals that weekend.

Just say no to club!

What's the school's name of the two Soph defenders?
Funny she made the first team
wrong info as always
It was a joke. The girls know more than we do. Players trying out, their coaches on the field making the decisions. I am proud my daughter made first cuts, but a player was chosen over her that can't carry her stick, but her club coach was on the field. Sour Grapes? You better believe it. Team one was over 75% yellow jacket girls. I understand that they are good players, but three yellow jacket coaches were on the field, Not right.

Yellow Jackets get all the Press as well. Tracy Weiner, gushes about the YJ girls and barley mentions any others. Lets get real here other clubs send as many to good scholls as well. Long Island Lax just like any other sport.
then why did her kids get cut???
Haha she left a list of names for DG Ms liberty and levy Mr Top gun!! That's hilarious. ROSE is brilliant for NOT showing up to this Garbage!! She gets blamed even when she blows it off!!
Bayshore kid made Team 1 idiots!
<Player Name> didnt beat CR's team, Bay Shore did. She had one goal and got tossed out her second yellow card with 15 minutes left in 2nd half.
Don't do it! List the name of the school so the adults can rip apart the kids? this board is good but it also leaves a wide open forum for ADULTS to put down children. When the roster comes out I'm sure everyone will have plenty to say when "congratulations" should be all that is said.
By the way, Kyra did make it. A good Bay Shore team also beat us. Who made the team? I am sure all the top teams were well represented.
No her cronies, Bertelone and Thorn were!! etc etc. Same thing! And Al should give back every penny to girls he has trained!!!
They could have posted them before the tryouts!
No her cronies, Bertelone and Thorn were!! etc etc. Same thing! And Al should give back every penny to girls he has trained!!!

There were plenty of Non YJ coaches! I am sure there are many good YJ and others that were left out! Less than 25% of the kids made a team!
Bayshore kid made Team 1 idiots!
why are you so nasty? are you so small that you have to call people names
it is a disgrace the way they ran this tryout. and to the earliar post that said a girl and her mother flipped out after getting cut, and she made a call and bingo they put her on the team. and yes it did happen, and she is a yellow jacket, this was confirmed by several people that were there.
it is a disgrace the way they ran this tryout. and to the earliar post that said a girl and her mother flipped out after getting cut, and she made a call and bingo they put her on the team. and yes it did happen, and she is a yellow jacket, this was confirmed by several people that were there.

Politics are great when they work for you, stinks when they work against you. What really stinks here is some other girl must have gotten cut to make room for mama's girl in CR's back pocket.
Congrats to those that made it - Sure, but such is life when a deserving person is over looked - Sure, but should you not show the names on here when they will be posted anyway - Why not? these girls if they are good will be getting looked under a microscope for years, no harm in toughen their skin now. Really i said it, for goodness sakes they're athletes and they are tough enough to take it. if they or their parents cant then just maybe they do not belong.

Show the names and their HS and club affiliation - PLEASE
Congrats to those that made it - Sure, but such is life when a deserving person is over looked - Sure, but should you not show the names on here when they will be posted anyway - Why not? these girls if they are good will be getting looked under a microscope for years, no harm in toughen their skin now. Really i said it, for goodness sakes they're athletes and they are tough enough to take it. if they or their parents cant then just maybe they do not belong.

Look I have to say that I know this girl, and her parents. I wasn't at the try out and didn't see what happened. I will even say that neither the girl nor her parents like me or my daughter, and won't give us the time of day even though they used to play with each other. So believe me there is no reason i should defend her, but this girl can flat out play lacrosse and deserves to to be on any of these teams
they dont want to post the teams, but somebody will post it,, it will be embarrasing to them to see some of the names on that list. US lacrosse should get wind of this.
Whatever...

Tell her to learn how to play as a team player!(I heard this player(in BS) got ejected from NP game last week with 2 yellow cards?
Teach her it's a TEAM Sport!
Good for BS Team, they still won.

This player will not go too far when(even or if she gets recruited) with all the reputations she has... college coaches know.

There is another one(s) in SE, I heard. Solid players they are I was told... but, not team players. They run the show(scores) and their coach let them do it?. Their JR/SR are not getting recognized. Too bad for SE parents(JR/SR).

Good luck everyone!

That is a Joke. The Middle Country kid is an awesome player! Well deserving! Whatever club she plays for!
Whatever...

Tell her to learn how to play as a team player!(I heard this player(in BS) got ejected from NP game last week with 2 yellow cards?
Teach her it's a TEAM Sport!
Good for BS Team, they still won.

This player will not go too far when(even or if she gets recruited) with all the reputations she has... college coaches know.

There is another one(s) in SE, I heard. Solid players they are I was told... but, not team players. They run the show(scores) and their coach let them do it?. Their JR/SR are not getting recognized. Too bad for SE parents(JR/SR).

Good luck everyone!

Your not allowed to talk about that S.E. player in a bad way. didn't you read the lacrosse rule book
I think a lot of the girls already knew going in to the tryout that they weren't even going to be considered. With that said I told my daughter to go and do her best and to consider the tryout as a really good work out. My daughter is a YJ and like many others didn't make the first cut. She said it was pretty obvious who was going to make it from the very beginning. The coaches were already showing favoritism before lunch. Unfortunately, the reputation of this tryout is not very good. I don't question the ability of the players that were chosen but I do question the integrity of the people running it. If this is supposed to be a recruiting tournament then why are committed girls on the team? I know that a LI team winning the tournament would be a great thing but I think the uncommitted players deserve their time to shine. This whole recruiting process is a life lesson for the girls....and the parents too. It' s just disheartening that the girls have to learn that if you are not the one in the lime light at all times that you just might miss out on an opportunity.

On another note.....in the email that was sent with the info on the try out it was made quite clear that NO PARENTS were allowed to watch the try out or basically be any where near the fields. I find it amusing that as per usual some of these parents cannot remove themselves from something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. It's on the verge of embarrassing to be associated with these parents.

If my daughter is to be recommended again I will let her make the decision. Apparently this team is not the end all be all! Many girls that have been cut from this team are already playing or are recruited to play! Best of luck to everyone! As I told my daughter everyone will get their turn if it is meant to be!
Besides.....THERE ARE NO FULL ATHLETIC RIDES IN LACROSSE....the average is around 25% for an incoming freshman.Many of you are spending >25k; only to get about <5k a year......such a waste of funds......

ANYONE CARE TO COMMENT? I am hearing this more and more, full rides don't happen for many at all

Look I have to say that I know this girl, and her parents. I wasn't at the try out and didn't see what happened. I will even say that neither the girl nor her parents like me or my daughter, and won't give us the time of day even though they used to play with each other. So believe me there is no reason i should defend her, but this girl can flat out play lacrosse and deserves to to be on any of these teams

You are missing the point, it is up to the COACHES to determine whether or not she DESERVES to be on the team, perhaps she had a bad tryout or a bad attitude, the point is that she was supposedly cut, then a call was made, and then she was back on the team, that is just plain wrong, regardless if ANYONE thinks she "deserves" to be on the team.

You are missing the point, it is up to the COACHES to determine whether or not she DESERVES to be on the team, perhaps she had a bad tryout or a bad attitude, the point is that she was supposedly cut, then a call was made, and then she was back on the team, that is just plain wrong, regardless if ANYONE thinks she "deserves" to be on the team.

I know for a fact parent in question never made a phone call. I know the parents and that's not their style anyway. You are getting misinformation. You are going on heresay. I was there.
<<Player name removed>> is a great player and so is my daughter (who was cut). and many other girls attending those tryouts. My daughter was cut but honestly none of this really matters does it? These games are ultimately meaningless as are the teams. I agree with one user that places should be slotted for older kids if the talent is close, (and the younger ones will get their turn later and kids already committed should not be allowed to tryout at all.
Wow.....you are name-dropping....but won't reveal the identity of your daughter???
Besides.....THERE ARE NO FULL ATHLETIC RIDES IN LACROSSE....the average is around 25% for an incoming freshman.Many of you are spending >25k; only to get about <5k a year......such a waste of funds......

ANYONE CARE TO COMMENT? I am hearing this more and more, full rides don't happen for many at all

Lacrosse is an equivalency sport. Meaning; with the 12.6 scholarships allowed.....that 12.6 must be spread through the roster. Upperclassmen will receive more than an incoming freshman. My key word was ATHLETIC. But....if you add in ACADEMIC scholarships and institutional based aid and grants.....depending on your socioeconomic status....then a "full" ride may occur.

For example....my daughter is getting 40% of athletic money...about 30% academic, another 25% discount.....her future school gives discounts to Active Military and Veterans and their dependents and add a Pell grant of 5500....that is a full ride COMBINED. No coach in their right mind will offer a kid regardless of talent 100%. In most programs; even within the top 25.....that is four kids coming in. I hope I clarified.

Lacrosse is an equivalency sport. Meaning; with the 12.6 scholarships allowed.....that 12.6 must be spread through the roster. Upperclassmen will receive more than an incoming freshman. My key word was ATHLETIC. But....if you add in ACADEMIC scholarships and institutional based aid and grants.....depending on your socioeconomic status....then a "full" ride may occur.

For example....my daughter is getting 40% of athletic money...about 30% academic, another 25% discount.....her future school gives discounts to Active Military and Veterans and their dependents and add a Pell grant of 5500....that is a full ride COMBINED. No coach in their right mind will offer a kid regardless of talent 100%. In most programs; even within the top 25.....that is four kids coming in. I hope I clarified.
This is a reasonable assessment based on personal experience - thank you poster. For our readers, the College Forum here on BOTC and on the sister site, BOTN, deal with this topic regularly.

Think of it this way. With twelve (12) scholarships (assume that the 0.6 is allocated to upper classmen to keep the numbers simple) and assuming everything is smoothly spread, that means there are three (3) full scholarships per class if the program is fully funded by the university. Realistically, some additional awards are granted to captains and some specific positions (keeper) might need a push to land a new player.

So, rewinding, a freshman class has realistically somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0 full athletic scholarships available.

With the average recruiting class pulling in somewhere around ten (10) players, you can quickly see why the average freshman deal will range right around 25% (or 0.25) of a single full scholarship.
<<Player Name Removed>> is a great player and so is my daughter (who was cut). and many other girls attending those tryouts. My daughter was cut but honestly none of this really matters does it? These games are ultimately meaningless as are the teams. I agree with one user that places should be slotted for older kids if the talent is close, (and the younger ones will get their turn later and kids already committed should not be allowed to tryout at all.

The kids who are committed should be aloud to try out. FYI if you have not been chosen for a School girl 1 team you can't try out for the U 19 national team! Unless they change the criteria then those girls have to try out! Furthermore, is the spirit of this tournament only for recruiting? or is it to see how each region stacks up?
My daughter is looking at a school with a tuition of approximately $31K. They said the average amount of athletic aid is typically $12-$17. An estimate of academic/grant aid was given to her that was about the same as the athletic aid range. Therefore, in this case, it could "possibly" cover tuition. Pretty good, but not a full ride (does not cover room and board) and the $ definitely is not all from athletics. From people I have spoken to who have been through this, I've heard this is not uncommon.
<<Player name removed>> is a great player and so is my daughter (who was cut). and many other girls attending those tryouts. My daughter was cut but honestly none of this really matters does it? These games are ultimately meaningless as are the teams. I agree with one user that places should be slotted for older kids if the talent is close, (and the younger ones will get their turn later and kids already committed should not be allowed to tryout at all.

The kids who are committed should be aloud to try out. FYI if you have not been chosen for a School girl 1 team you can't try out for the U 19 national team! Unless they change the criteria then those girls have to try out! Furthermore, is the spirit of this tournament only for recruiting? or is it to see how each region stacks up?
FYI this might be the most obnoxious parent in lacrosse.
I know for a fact parent in question never made a phone call. I know the parents and that's not their style anyway. You are getting misinformation. You are going on heresay. I was there.

i was there too you idiot, and it did happen. get your facts straightr

i was there too you idiot, and it did happen. <<Removed player reference>> get your facts straightr
Enough of the anonymous he-said, she-said discussion. Regardless of a parent call or not, player re-evaluation or not - the issue is now closed.
How did the Long Island teams do last year in this thing. If I remember correctly they didnt do well at all.
How did the Long Island teams do last year in this thing. If I remember correctly they didnt do well at all.
The 2011 schedule details are available on-line at the following link :

2011 US Lacrosse WDNT Schedules and Brackets

BOTC is pulling the results from this 2011 event right now into a single post for our readers.
Onondaga Pool A
Team W L T GF
Philly 1 3 0 1 35
Baltimore Metro 1 2 1 1 35
Long Island Metro 2 2 2 0 44
Northern New Jersey 1 1 1 2 37
Upstate NY 0 4 0 46

Onondaga Pool B
Team W L T GF
Long Island Metro 1 3 0 1 30
Baltimore Metro 2 3 1 0 27
DC Metro 1 2 1 1 34
Lower New England 1 1 3 0 42
Southern New Jersey 1 0 4 0 42

Seneca Pool A
Team W L T GF
Long Island Metro 3 2 0 1 26
DC Metro 3 1 0 2 20
Lower New England 2 1 1 1 21
Southern New Jersey 2 0 3 0 41

Seneca Pool B
Team W L T GF
DC Metro 2 2 0 1 29
Lower New England 3 2 1 0 21
Philly 2 1 1 1 26
Northern New Jersey 2 0 3 0 36

Oneida Pool A
Team W L T GF
Philly 3 3 0 0 22
Hudson Valley 2 1 0 27
DC Metro 4 1 2 0 35
South Florida 0 3 0 33

Oneida Pool B
Team W L T GF
Eastern Shore 2 0 1 20
Baltimore Metro 3 2 0 1 23
Adirondack 1 2 0 32
Chicago Metro (IL-WI) 0 3 0 35

Tuscarora Pool A
Team W L T GF
Colorado 3 0 0 12
LarryMiller - Gulf Coast 1 1 1 28
South - Central Ohio 1 2 0 39
DC Metro 5 0 2 1 27

Tuscarora Pool B
Team W L T GF
Western NY - Rochester 1 2 1 0 27
New Hampshire - Vermont 1 2 1 0 31
Philly 4 1 2 0 31
North Coast Ohio 1 2 0 31

Mohawk Pool A
Team W L T GF
Lower New England 4 2 0 1 26
Philly 5 2 1 0 25
Texas 1 2 0 36
San Diego 0 2 1 28

Mohawk Pool B
Team W L T GF
Nor Cal 1 3 0 0 22
Georgia 1 1 1 29
Virginia 1 2 0 37
Maine 0 2 1 35

Cayuga Pool A
Team W L T GF
North Carolina 3 0 0 18
Western Pennsylvania 2 1 0 30
Washington State 1 2 0 36
Tennessee 0 3 0 38

Cayuga Pool B
Team W L T GF
Central Pennsylvania 3 0 0 17
Lower New England 5 2 1 0 23
OC - LA 1 2 0 30
Western NY - Rochester 2 0 3 0 46

Iroquois Pool A
Team W L T GF
New Hampshire - Vermont 2 4 0 0 16
Arizona 2 2 0 50
Missouri 2 2 0 34
Georgia 2 1 2 1 40
LarryMiller - Gulf Coast 2 0 3 1 48

Iroquois Pool B
Team W L T GF
Utah - Idaho 4 0 0 29
Oregon 3 1 0 35
Nor Cal 2 2 2 0 44
South Carolina 1 3 0 56
Kentucky - Indiana 0 4 0 53

Seniors Only Patterson Pool
Team W L T GF
USA U19 2 0 0 4
Royal 1 1 0 21
Yellow 0 2 0 31

Seniors Only Cranbarry Pool
Team W L T GF
Canada U19 2 0 0 15
Orange 1 1 0 14
Forest Green 0 2 0 25
Long island 3 won their division
You make some great points - outside of "the Parents cant seem to keep out of it".

from reading these posts they have to be a part of it, the corruption runs to deep. One could only hope that status or politics do not take an important role, but that is not reality, it would be irresponsible not to inject yourself for your child sake.

(ok, bring on the "in a year she will be on her own what will mommy and daddy do then" your right but for now you do what you can)

How is that obnoxious? My kid is not commited or even close to be! I only stated the facts because I asked that question myself to a parent of a kid who already was committed and that was one of the answers I got. Along with that the girls really like playing in the tournament against the other regions to see how they stack up. Not everyone plays club and not everyone has a chance to have out of state schools on their schedule. If that is somehow obnoxious or offensive I apologize!
I would find it very surprising if a non-club player made the team. Besides the obvious political implications, it's not likely a non-club player would be at the skill level I presume the chosen players possess.

How is that obnoxious? My kid is not commited or even close to be! I only stated the facts because I asked that question myself to a parent of a kid who already was committed and that was one of the answers I got. Along with that the girls really like playing in the tournament against the other regions to see how they stack up. Not everyone plays club and not everyone has a chance to have out of state schools on their schedule. If that is somehow obnoxious or offensive I apologize!
FYI almost all High School Tournaments are for recruiting , especially this one. Thats why this Tournament has not only a college coach tent, But a recruiting tent . But I'm sure with your vast knowledge of all things U.Sl lacrosse you knew that. So I'm sure you can justify to yourself the complete selfishness it takes to take a spot from a girl trying to get to a college of her choice so a girl that is committed can assure herself a spot on the U.S. U19 team . Oh and by the way the total fool that named the girl in there post is a total lowlife P.O.S. and should be banned from being near any lax event
name-dropping please anyone following this thread knows who it is and unfortunately favoritism is the way of long island girls lacrosse...to all those girls that didn't make it and should have too, better luck next year and be proud that you took the rejection and didn't go crying to the powers that be!
not sure what the big deal is that her name was mentioned by someone the fact that she was given special treatment is the issue who cares what her name is?
not sure what the big deal is that her name was mentioned by someone the fact that she was given special treatment is the issue who cares what her name is?
Since we do not care about the player's name, no problem in our having removed the references. grin

FYI almost all High School Tournaments are for recruiting , especially this one. Thats why this Tournament has not only a college coach tent, But a recruiting tent . But I'm sure with your vast knowledge of all things U.Sl lacrosse you knew that. So I'm sure you can justify to yourself the complete selfishness it takes to take a spot from a girl trying to get to a college of her choice so a girl that is committed can assure herself a spot on the U.S. U19 team . Oh and by the way the total fool that named the girl in there post is a total lowlife P.O.S. and should be banned from being near any lax event

FYI MR. "My Daughter hasn't been recruited yet"! There will be more coaches looking at the finals of these events! Which means that if the already committed players don't play, there is a good chance that the teams won't be as good. If they are not as good and lose early the kids who made the team and are not committed won't get as good or as long as a look from the coaches! That is why the club kids that are committed still go to the tournaments so their teammates can have more exposure! It is exactly the opposite as selfish!!! No one has to justify anything, because when US lacrosse sends out a flier it doesn't say "don't try out if you are committed, because the college coaches don't want to see you"!It is always easy to see things only from your point of view!

FYI MR. "My Daughter hasn't been recruited yet"! There will be more coaches looking at the finals of these events! Which means that if the already committed players don't play, there is a good chance that the teams won't be as good. If they are not as good and lose early the kids who made the team and are not committed won't get as good or as long as a look from the coaches! That is why the club kids that are committed still go to the tournaments so their teammates can have more exposure! It is exactly the opposite as selfish!!! No one has to justify anything, because when US lacrosse sends out a flier it doesn't say "don't try out if you are committed, because the college coaches don't want to see you"!It is always easy to see things only from your point of view!

Holy spinmaster! You must be a politician. Quite an effort, not sure anybody is bujying it.

That is the biggest line of self justifying B/S i have ever heard. You really just said that these committed girls are sacrificing themselves so that so that college coaches will come see there teammates that come from Long Island ( a known power house of lacrosse ) because the same college coaches will not watch them play D.C. Metro, Philly, Baltimore Metro, Northern & Southern Jersey etc... You and your daughters team should all be sainted, what a huge sacrifice they have made. All the girls that got stepped on have no idea how truly selfless you all are. On a personal note, my daughter was invited but declined to " take part in that farce" her words not mine
That is the biggest line of self justifying B/S i have ever heard. You really just said that these committed girls are sacrificing themselves so that so that college coaches will come see there teammates that come from Long Island ( a known power house of lacrosse ) because the same college coaches will not watch them play D.C. Metro, Philly, Baltimore Metro, Northern & Southern Jersey etc... You and your daughters team should all be sainted, what a huge sacrifice they have made. All the girls that got stepped on have no idea how truly selfless you all are. On a personal note, my daughter was invited but declined to " take part in that farce" her words not mine

same here m my daughter didnt want to get involved with all the BS that goes along with this team. and yes she probably would have made it because she made it last year.

take the best girls that didnt tryout, put them together, and they beat 2 out of 3 of these teams.
No, I said in the summer they all show up for their teammmates! Not for this. I said the end result of them not showing up for this will result in a less than stellar showing for LI which will result in less face time with the coaches! The bottom line is if they didn't want committed girls they should say so! My daughter is not committed!!!!! I am not spinning anything! I was responding to the ORIGINAL post that said these committed girls are selfish! That is BS! They were asked to try out! It isn't their fault or responsibility to make "moral judgements"! That should be left to the organizers! On a side note, If it is such a "Farce" why do you care who plays if there is no value in the tournament?
No, I said in the summer they all show up for their teammmates! Not for this. I said the end result of them not showing up for this will result in a less than stellar showing for LI which will result in less face time with the coaches! The bottom line is if they didn't want committed girls they should say so! My daughter is not committed!!!!! I am not spinning anything! I was responding to the ORIGINAL post that said these committed girls are selfish! That is BS! They were asked to try out! It isn't their fault or responsibility to make "moral judgements"! That should be left to the organizers! On a side note, If it is such a "Farce" why do you care who plays if there is no value in the tournament?
The only one who should be committed is you
One girl who tried out heard the following herself and told her mother post tryout:

One tryer-outer twisted her ankle or had some small injury and was trying to walk it out. A coach was overheard telling her, "Why don't you have a seat? You know you're on the team already."

I wish I'd known before I sent my $35 in. I would never recommend this tryout to anyone and I'm pretty disgusted with US Lacrosse for how this is handled.

I do not believe this(complaint)actually happened. Someone(parents whose daughter did not make the team) is making this up. Stop this nonsense! C'mon... Your daughters are not good enough to make the teams, just get over it!
Sorry my daughter made it & your's did not!
Tell your kids work harder!

Let's move on! OMG.
I second that. BS team is doing great this season because of NOT one player but the whole team is playing well! Great Job, BS Team.
My daughter made it too but what happened is true and the kid was put on the team after being cut and quite honestly there is nothing right about that esp. for the other ones cut who should have made it too but didn't. No lesson learned for that kid, hopefully when she has a dispute with her college coach one day she is able to handle that without calling mom in for backup

I do not believe this(complaint)actually happened. Someone(parents whose daughter did not make the team) is making this up. Stop this nonsense! C'mon... Your daughters are not good enough to make the teams, just get over it!

Let's move on! OMG.

Come on people, there is no politics in lacrosse!

Let's move on! OMG.

Get Real, This tryouts were so Yellow Jaket Friendly. I know some good YJ's were cut, but three of bthe five evaluaters were YJ coaches. Al Bertelone showed up and walk on as an evaluater, he parked next to me and i heard him say to someone that he was just going to see if bhe could help. He was on the fields and all 5 goalies picked were YJ's. I am not saying all 5 should not have made it, but the give me a break, the only good goalies are YJ's. Not relly.
My daughter made it too but what happened is true and the kid was put on the team after being cut and quite honestly there is nothing right about that esp. for the other ones cut who should have made it too but didn't. No lesson learned for that kid, hopefully when she has a dispute with her college coach one day she is able to handle that without calling mom in for backup

How do you know that her number was not mistakenly called? There were many coaches there from different High Schools and clubs, I doubt that if they thought she should have been cut they would have allowed her to stroll back in. No one knows what really happened. I am not saying I know what happened , but do you really need to call out a 15 year old girl by name? From what I understand she made the second team so she had to have had some good grades!!
No what you said was that committed girls SHOULD be allowed to try out so that they can make the U-19 team, you also sad "the spirit of this tournament only for recruiting? or is it to see how each region stacks up?" that was copied from you original post, that means you are spinning and no little about lax. and I , nor my daughter ever said the tournament was a farce, the selection of girls, and the politics involved are a farce. Stop trying to clear your conscious on this site , you really look bad, your caught in your own b.s. so you payed your daughters way onto a team , don't worry she's going to play wether she deserves it or not. I just hope she has higher morals than you. And since your daughter isnt committed yet here's a tip, college coaches don't go to see teams play, they go to see girls play. It doesn't matter if the team is Mc Donogh or Brentwood, If there is a good girl a coach wants them.

Let's move on! OMG.

Get Real, This tryouts were so Yellow Jaket Friendly. I know some good YJ's were cut, but three of bthe five evaluaters were YJ coaches. Al Bertelone showed up and walk on as an evaluater, he parked next to me and i heard him say to someone that he was just going to see if bhe could help. He was on the fields and all 5 goalies picked were YJ's. I am not saying all 5 should not have made it, but the give me a break, the only good goalies are YJ's. Not relly.
One of the team one goalies is from Shoreham and plays for Top Gun!
which team(s) these girls made to ? Team 1, 2,3?
No what you said was that committed girls SHOULD be allowed to try out so that they can make the U-19 team, you also sad "the spirit of this tournament only for recruiting? or is it to see how each region stacks up?" that was copied from you original post, that means you are spinning and no little about lax. and I , nor my daughter ever said the tournament was a farce, the selection of girls, and the politics involved are a farce. Stop trying to clear your conscious on this site , you really look bad, your caught in your own b.s. so you payed your daughters way onto a team , don't worry she's going to play wether she deserves it or not. I just hope she has higher morals than you. And since your daughter isnt committed yet here's a tip, college coaches don't go to see teams play, they go to see girls play. It doesn't matter if the team is Mc Donogh or Brentwood, If there is a good girl a coach wants them.

Clear my consious? LOL For sticking up for kids (not mine) that were called selfish? I was just pointing out there could be other motivations for a committed kid to play in this tournament (which another parent of a committed kid pointed out to me). Trust me, I don't need any tips from some cry baby! Here is a tip for you, You probably should have kept your daughter in intramural soccer so you can all shine your participation trophy together and have a snack at halftime!

True, But if Brentwood is not at a County final or better there is a good chance that that good kid won't be seen!

Let's move on! OMG.

Thank you. Now there you go...
which team(s) these girls made to ? Team 1, 2,3?

Sorry, I meant the girls who got cut and later added to the team.

Let's move on! OMG.

My daughter is a goalie and that is the reason she will not even go to this sham. Al Bertelone is no better a goalie coach than me. We paid that fool for lessons and my daughter came home and flat out told me to save my money. Shes not a Y.J. so he just took the money and gave a half effort. The evaluators should have kicked him off the field the second he showed up

Let's move on! OMG.

My daughter is a goalie and that is the reason she will not even go to this sham. Al Bertelone is no better a goalie coach than me. We paid that fool for lessons and my daughter came home and flat out told me to save my money. Shes not a Y.J. so he just took the money and gave a half effort. The evaluators should have kicked him off the field the second he showed up

There are plenty of goalies that would completely disagree with you.

Who ever made this comment should seek therapy. The E.I. Coach is a good family man, a great coach and an all around good guy. His daughter is a lovely young lady and a talented player. She DID NOT make a team in fact. The angry comments and conspiracy theories are quite comical and embarrassing for L.I. Lacrosse. A nice mix of all clubs are represented and the girls who made a team...Congratulations. This IS the premier recruiting event and is top notch. It is run by US Lacrosse and is as unbiased as they come. It seems the uninformed seem to love this forum to shine the light on their ignorance...keep it up...quite entertaining.
Seriously folks, there were many MANY deserving YJs that absolutely did NOT make it through. The pot shots you all will take to knock the YJs is really getting quite old. If you all know so much about who is in and who is not, then really be the adult and realize that there were some very deserving girls, YJ or not, who did not make the cut. Give credit where credit is due, please. This is not a CR run event. She does not run the world like you all like to believe. Stop hiding behind that as your excuse for everything bad that goes on in the lax world. Congrats to ALL the girls that made it, and to those who didn't, this is not the end of your world, hang in there, try again next year if you can, keep your love of the game a priority. I am in awe of all that you young athlestes achieve and work for. Don't let parents muddy the
waters for you.

Very well said!! Maybe some of the posters should read your post and re evaluate their positions on their girls and the game.

Who ever made this comment should seek therapy. The E.I. Coach is a good family man, a great coach and an all around good guy. His daughter is a lovely young lady and a talented player. She DID NOT make a team in fact. The angry comments and conspiracy theories are quite comical and embarrassing for L.I. Lacrosse. A nice mix of all clubs are represented and the girls who made a team...Congratulations. This IS the premier recruiting event and is top notch. It is run by US Lacrosse and is as unbiased as they come. It seems the uninformed seem to love this forum to shine the light on their ignorance...keep it up...quite entertaining.

Well said! Don't diminish the accomplishments and hard work of the girls that made it by saying it is fixed! Good luck to all the girls!

Let's move on! OMG.

There are plenty of goalies that would completely disagree with you.
not a one from outside the Y.J. please want a real coach for your daughter use Breezy, or Jackie Pandolf
Kristin Hordy is a great goalie trainer. She was the goalie at UNC and now coaches Locust Valley. I highly recommend her.
How about Harry Balzonya? Was he a judge too? C'mon you nuts...have a cocktail and relax cause it will all be o.k. I promise.
Wow....I've been watching the blog here for the past week and it sure has been interesting. In most cases I would not make any comment on a forum however I feel it is needed at this point. Tryouts for any team is not an easy task for the people charged with running it. The person who heads up the School Girls tryout is a member ur local Chapter and is not a High School Coach or a Travel Team Coach. She also has no child trying out and is doing the best job possible in a very, very tough job. That said I would welcome to hear positive suggestions on how to make the tryouts better next year. I do not think you will ever be able to have a tryout where 100% of the parents and players are going to be 100% happy. 100% is the goal however in my opinion it is a very hard number to hit. Are mistakes going to happen...Yes...can the be corrected....yes. Everyone has to work to make the process a better process and it starts with each and everyone of us. So if you would like to send me an email in regard to suggestions to make the tryouts better....I'm all ears and I will bring your suggestions back to the School Girls committee at our local Chapter of US Lacrosse so changes can be put in place for next year. My email is CoachNA@aol.com and I'm Harry Jacobs...President of the Long Island Metro Chapter of US Lacrosse. And please email me your suggestions to help.
My email is CoachNA@aol.com and I'm Harry Jacobs...President of the Long Island Metro Chapter of US Lacrosse. And please email me your suggestions to help.
Harry Jacobs has been with us on BOTC in the past months on issues dealing with player passes, registrations, and age group levels witin US Lacrosse. BOTC highly values his work for the Long Island Metropolitan Lacrosse Chapter and his knowledge.

Now is the time to offer suggestions on the format for tryouts going forward. Readers, you have both the stage and the microphone at this point.
Originally Posted by CageSage
My email is CoachNA@aol.com and I'm Harry Jacobs...President of the Long Island Metro Chapter of US Lacrosse. And please email me your suggestions to help.
Harry Jacobs has been with us on BOTC in the past months on issues dealing with player passes, registrations, and age group levels witin US Lacrosse. BOTC highly values his work for the Long Island Metropolitan Lacrosse Chapter and his knowledge.

Now is the time to offer suggestions on the format for tryouts going forward. Readers, you have both the stage and the microphone at this point.

Is there a rule as to how many players from each team can be invited? If so why is that not enforced?
Originally Posted by CageSage

Keep t to 5 players per team and ask the coaches or ther players to send some video in advance
Some people seem to think that this is soley a recruiting tournament and committed girls should not attend. Does US lax sell it as such? Or is it just a recruiting opportunity?
Wow its $50 in central Ohio and $340 if they make team. I would say yes its a money maker.

Tryouts in one day about 20 kids signed up. Not an honor to play. They are begging for players.
That's the thing, no one knows. Or maybe we know now (but it's all hearsay from participants, not from US Lacrosse) but no one knew going in because the objective was never stated anywhere. All I know I learned here on BOTC after the tryout.
Some people seem to think that this is soley a recruiting tournament and committed girls should not attend. Does US lax sell it as such? Or is it just a recruiting opportunity?
Of course its a recruiting tournament. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. There are about a hundred college coaches coming from all over the country., The have a recruiting service on site for players. and it happens during championship weekend at the same venue where they know every college coach will be. what you really thought U.S. lax put this on so girls could see what region is better. Most don't even play against each other ( a team from Texas is never playing a team from Maryland ) and there is no ultimate tournament champion. So for those who need a road map to figure it out here it is . YES THIS IS A RECRUITING TOURNAMENT.
My daughters sophmore year she made Team 1 and they won the national championship... that was a great accomplishment and assisted with her recruiting. The next year (as a junior) she was already committed to college to play lacrosse. So it is a recruiting tournament only for the younger girls.
But apparently it's also a step on the way to U19 tryouts, because if was so simply a recruiting tournament, then already committed players wouldn't (or shouldn't) be there. So I guess we're missing part of the roadmap.
But apparently it's also a step on the way to U19 tryouts, because if was so simply a recruiting tournament, then already committed players wouldn't (or shouldn't) be there. So I guess we're missing part of the roadmap.
Although we do not have all the pieces in place, BOTC wanted to share this level of detail. The US Women's National Tournament has two distinct divisions. The first is the regional team play for which many Long Island Girls auditioned and has been the source of some of the controversy in this thread.

There is a second division called the Stars and Stripes Division which includes the selection process for the Women's U/19 team if you connect the dots on the web site.

USWNT Stars and Stripes Division

Based on our reading, which includes the information below, the U/19 tryouts are independent of all else associated with this event.

Tournament Check-in
All players in the Stars and Stripes division must check in individually to receive reversible jerseys and team details. Check-in times will be from 4:30 pm - 8 pm on Friday, May 27 at Stony Brook University, and 9 am – 11 am at Ward Melville High School on Saturday, May 28. Note: Stony Brook University is hosting the Women's NCAA Division I national semifinals on Friday evening and you MUST pay to park. This fee will not be waived.

Schedule of Play
Two (2) games will be played on Saturday and two (2) games will be played on Sunday. Games will be played at Ward Melville High School. There will be a mandatory meeting at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday on Turf 1 at Ward Melville High School. Games will begin at 12-noon on Saturday and end at 1 p.m. on Sunday. You will receive information about your team and team schedule when you check-in.
Thanks, CageSage. So should we take this info to mean that the Schoolgirls tournament is not a stepping stone to the Stars and Stripes U19 tournament? Or should we assume that if one does not play in the Schoolgirls event then one shouldn't bother with the Stars and Stripes?

Thanks, CageSage. So should we take this info to mean that the Schoolgirls tournament is not a stepping stone to the Stars and Stripes U19 tournament? Or should we assume that if one does not play in the Schoolgirls event then one shouldn't bother with the Stars and Stripes?
Officially, the two do not look correlated at any level.

That said, perhaps there is a sense from the families of committed juniors and seniors that remaining in the tournament will help keep their daughters visible at U/16, U/17, and U/18 as they consider a run for the U/19 team? Again, that requires a carry over from year-to-year of some type of statistical data which just does not seem to be the case.
Perhaps one of the players, or even a commited player (can't remember if any of those parents have contributed to this thread) can tell us what the unwritten rule of thumb is. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to get this all figured out.
Tryouts for U19 will be in two years and will be through this tournament. 2 years ago, each region selects "x" number of girls to be "watched" at this tournament and that is effectively the first round of the tryouts.
Amen.

And for the record, it did happen...
Thanks for the clarification.
Al Bertelone is a very good coach. We are new to YJ. She learned more in one season with him than 4 seasons combined with a another club. The other club was a good experience but some of the coaches were too young and inexperienced. Sorry you had a bad time with him.
I'm all ears and I will bring your suggestions back to the School Girls committee at our local Chapter of US Lacrosse so changes can be put in place for next year. My email is CoachNA@aol.com and I'm Harry Jacobs...President of the Long Island Metro Chapter of US Lacrosse. And please email me your suggestions to help.

Keep YJ coaches out. that would improve tryout 150 %
Al Bertelone is a very good coach. We are new to YJ. She learned more in one season with him than 4 seasons combined with a another club. The other club was a good experience but some of the coaches were too young and inexperienced. Sorry you had a bad time with him.
The problem is not that he is a good trainer, he is. For $100 dollars an hour he better be. The fact is that he should not have been on the fields for those tryouts. There were goalies there better than at least two of the ones he chose, who just all happened to be Yellow Jackets.
Heard 14 girls from mt sinai made teams. Thats 20% of total
Heard 14 girls from mt sinai made teams. Thats 20% of total

If that's true, so much for the "five girls from each HS" rule of thumb that's been bandied about.
once again this tryout and team is a complete joke ,,, all who thinks so should email the previous post. He gave his name and email. I also emailed us lacrosse and let them know about the shananagans that went on at this tryout. Hopefully they get it straight for next year and get those club team coaches out.
I emailed the guy and got a nice email in return. He seemed to welcome my input. I recommend everyone who has issues with this tryout write to him so he's knows it's not just a few disgruntled parents and that there are genuine issues to be addressed.
Keep YJ coaches out? That's funny NOT
The problem is not that he is a good trainer, he is. For $100 dollars an hour he better be. The fact is that he should not have been on the fields for those tryouts. There were goalies there better than at least two of the ones he chose, who just all happened to be Yellow Jackets.

There were about 8 selectors there do he could not have picked them himself
I emailed the guy and got a nice email in return. He seemed to welcome my input. I recommend everyone who has issues with this tryout write to him so he's knows it's not just a few disgruntled parents and that there are genuine issues to be addressed.

what are the issues- my daughter did not make it-maybe the other kids were better? I would love to complain but what am I complaining about??

what are the issues- my daughter did not make it-maybe the other kids were better? I would love to complain but what am I complaining about??

Read this thread from the start. All issues are contained therein.
I also emailed my comments and concerns about the tryout. I was informed they are investagating the process. US lacrosse is taking a big hit on this one. thanks to us, the people that voiced there opinions about the tryout to us lacrosse . Hopefully they will fix the problem.
I also emailed my comments and concerns about the tryout. I was informed they are investagating the process. US lacrosse is taking a big hit on this one. thanks to us, the people that voiced there opinions about the tryout to us lacrosse . Hopefully they will fix the problem.

By fixing the problem you mean putting your kid on the team right...and all the other complainers kids as well. Did any of the socialists who are complaining have a kid that made it....didn't think so. How about having your kid work harder for next year and maybe some of you parents need to get involved with your programs instead of sitting on a computer living the life of a Monday morning quarterback.

By fixing the problem you mean putting your kid on the team right...and all the other complainers kids as well. Did any of the socialists who are complaining have a kid that made it....didn't think so. How about having your kid work harder for next year and maybe some of you parents need to get involved with your programs instead of sitting on a computer living the life of a Monday morning quarterback.

Wrong. My kid was invited but did not attend the tryout. Why the [lacrosse] are you so snarky? All anyone wanted was a fair tryout. I think you have not read this entire thread because clearly YOU do not understand the problem.

When you say work harder with your kid do you mean reach into my pocket and pay Carol Rose, Oh wait my daughter is a goalie maybe you mean pay Al Bartalone, or maybe I should move to Mt.Sinai so my kid can be 1 of 12, maybe your kid really isn't as good as you think , but you give good bank account

Wrong. My kid was invited but did not attend the tryout. Why the [lacrosse] are you so snarky? All anyone wanted was a fair tryout. I think you have not read this entire thread because clearly YOU do not understand the problem.

Why didn't your daughter try out? Why are you commenting since she didn't? Snarky...really?

When you say work harder with your kid do you mean reach into my pocket and pay Carol Rose, Oh wait my daughter is a goalie maybe you mean pay Al Bartalone, or maybe I should move to Mt.Sinai so my kid can be 1 of 12, maybe your kid really isn't as good as you think , but you give good bank account

Listen nut jobs, Carol Rose was not involved. Jeez get over it already!

Which goalies are you referring to?

There are no real issues mentioned other than it is not fair because of YJ. There were 3 YJ selectors. My daughter as well as a few other blue team players did not make a team. So the reasoning does not make sense. These girls are being recruited by top D 1 schools so explain that.

Listen nut jobs, Carol Rose was not involved. Jeez get over it already!
so your saying the 3 Y.J. coaches weren't there either , Al Bartalone didn't walk on to "help out" . Coincidence ? Tell me how Carol didn't "suggest" certain players make it to her staff. How did they get away with sending and selecting so many girls

There are no real issues mentioned other than it is not fair because of YJ. There were 3 YJ selectors. My daughter as well as a few other blue team players did not make a team. So the reasoning does not make sense. These girls are being recruited by top D 1 schools so explain that.

That is correct. Many non yj girls were selected. Chalk it up to parents not knowing how to handle rejection and teaching their kids to complain rather than improve.

That is such a sad mind set. Any coach worth anything always plays the kids who give them the best chance of winning. Remember Michael Jordan was cut from his HS team. His dad didn't cause a storm of accusations and complaints, he told his kid to work harder. He did and the rest is history. Don't miss the opportunity to teach your kid a valuable lesson when they are rejected. They are resilient in the right atmosphere and can gain valuable skills if taught.
no, it was 7 from mt. sinai
Stop with the Michael Jordan reference ,first he was not cut from his high school basketball team and second none of these kids are Michael Jordan.Why were more YJ kids picked then any other club kids do I really need to explain that there are more YJ kids then any other club and no offense but their top teams attract the best talent.Was there bias at the tryouts ,I am sure there was ,I have yet to ever see a tryout that had no bias.

Just curious, how many evaluators were there and from what teams?
one of the top five goalies written about in newsday Sunday didn't make first team, yes she made it, yes, a yj, but if they were all powerful as you all think she would be team one not team two
no, it was 7 from mt. sinai
I thought only 5 kids per school?
one of the top five goalies written about in newsday Sunday didn't make first team, yes she made it, yes, a yj, but if they were all powerful as you all think she would be team one not team two

If there are only 2 spots on the first team they are not all going to make it
And a goalie who was not mentioned in Newsday did make it (not sure which team).
of course not, my point was really to the YJ bashers. whatever team the girls make is a great accomplishment, I'm saddened it's being turned into such a controversial event.
of course not, my point was really to the YJ bashers. whatever team the girls make is a great accomplishment, I'm saddened it's being turned into such a controversial event.
It's controversial only because politics get involved. From selection at the school level, to the selection at try-outs. It is no longer about the best girl being chosen, but who plays for what club, and who is favored by coaches. I remember a time when we all played as hard as we could for the jersey on our back that day. Club loyalty has seeped into the high schools and its no longer about pride in you school. It's all about how many girls from this club or that club. I'm ashamed for the sport. This is a sad time

I agree and I am not a yj parent. There is a way to go about making changes if one is truly interested. In fact the US Lacrosse representative gave his personal email on this very thread. You would think that would stop the posts and begin the repairs to the system some are claiming to be needed. It has not. We will continue to see the vitriolic and argumentative posts because let's face it, we all know these types, they have an outlet and by God they will talk to anyone who will listen. US Lacrosse will surely listen to those who contact them and choose to be constructive which is where your energy should be focused.
It's controversial only because politics get involved. From selection at the school level, to the selection at try-outs. It is no longer about the best girl being chosen, but who plays for what club, and who is favored by coaches. I remember a time when we all played as hard as we could for the jersey on our back that day. Club loyalty has seeped into the high schools and its no longer about pride in you school. It's all about how many girls from this club or that club. I'm ashamed for the sport. This is a sad time

You couldn't be more wrong. It is simply not true. Makes for good banter though.
Simply put there are more girls than ever before playing the game and it has become as competitive as any other main stream sport. Some cannot handle the rejection at elite tryouts or elite HS programs and choose to complain and miss teaching their girls to rebound and overcome. I am ashamed so many parents share your outlook.

A little dramatic are we? The only reason this is an issue is that this website provides a forum for whining. I am sure some very good players got overlooked! I am also sure that some very good players got overlooked in the past. EVERY tryout has some level of politics. With 3 teams playing I am sure MOST of the very good players were picked correctly. Understand that if a coach has a familiarity of a player it may subconciously or conciously sway their assessment of that player. I also beleive that evaluators do not want to grade a kid high that they know is not a good player! In the end MOST of the picks will be right! For those that were left out, it sucks, but don't diminish the accomplishments of the kids who made it! They are all good players and I am sure well deserving! Lets not teach these kids to blame the system! It doesn't do them any good! Teach them to stick with it and if they work hard they will be noticed for another opportunity!

I agree and I am not a yj parent. There is a way to go about making changes if one is truly interested. In fact the US Lacrosse representative gave his personal email on this very thread. You would think that would stop the posts and begin the repairs to the system some are claiming to be needed. It has not. We will continue to see the vitriolic and argumentative posts because let's face it, we all know these types, they have an outlet and by God they will talk to anyone who will listen. US Lacrosse will surely listen to those who contact them and choose to be constructive which is where your energy should be focused.

Its hard enough mixing club and school ball and all the politics, add in a showcase tournament team sanctioned by another organization it gets real dicey. Here's one way US lax could run try outs- find/hire evaluators from out of region to pick team members from jersey numbers at try outs, with no names and no affiliations listed. In the end there will still be many yj's to make the team because they are good and there are a million of them.

A little dramatic are we? The only reason this is an issue is that this website provides a forum for whining. I am sure some very good players got overlooked! I am also sure that some very good players got overlooked in the past. EVERY tryout has some level of politics. With 3 teams playing I am sure MOST of the very good players were picked correctly. Understand that if a coach has a familiarity of a player it may subconciously or conciously sway their assessment of that player. I also beleive that evaluators do not want to grade a kid high that they know is not a good player! In the end MOST of the picks will be right! For those that were left out, it sucks, but don't diminish the accomplishments of the kids who made it! They are all good players and I am sure well deserving! Lets not teach these kids to blame the system! It doesn't do them any good! Teach them to stick with it and if they work hard they will be noticed for another opportunity!

Well said!

Its hard enough mixing club and school ball and all the politics, add in a showcase tournament team sanctioned by another organization it gets real dicey. Here's one way US lax could run try outs- find/hire evaluators from out of region to pick team members from jersey numbers at try outs, with no names and no affiliations listed. In the end there will still be many yj's to make the team because they are good and there are a million of them.

I feel the system in place is fine. However the Mt Sinai coach who will be starring in the sequel to "Wedding Crashers", titled "Tryout Crashers", starring Danny Devito as Al Bertalone should not have been there. Not sure if Mr. Devito can pull off the constant annoying sideline instruction but he is a talented actor so we will wait for the reviews. Coming soon to a tournament near you this summer.

I feel the system in place is fine. However the Mt Sinai coach who will be starring in the sequel to "Wedding Crashers", titled "Tryout Crashers", starring Danny Devito as Al Bertalone should not have been there. Not sure if Mr. Devito can pull off the constant annoying sideline instruction but he is a talented actor so we will wait for the reviews. Coming soon to a tournament near you this summer.

Your attempt at comedy is pathetic! It is sad that you would take "pot shots" at a guy who has given so much to girls lacrosse! If you think it is for a huge profit, you are wrong! If you heard the back up goalie from MT Sinai speak about how much he affected her life in a positive way at the YJ luncheon ,you would not be slandering the man. In addition yo< you have no idea if he was asked to come or not! Sorry if your daughter got cut! Maybe you should get Coach Bert to work with her!!!

Your attempt at comedy is pathetic! It is sad that you would take "pot shots" at a guy who has given so much to girls lacrosse! If you think it is for a huge profit, you are wrong! If you heard the back up goalie from MT Sinai speak about how much he affected her life in a positive way at the YJ luncheon ,you would not be slandering the man. In addition yo< you have no idea if he was asked to come or not! Sorry if your daughter got cut! Maybe you should get Coach Bert to work with her!!!

1. I never mentioned cost. 2. I never mentioned a player or back up goalie. 3. I did not slander him as everyone thinks his sideline antics are annoying. 4. I do have an idea he was not invited...trust me. 5. My daughter did not get cut but thanks for the teaching tip. And finally....It was really funny and you know it so take a Valium and ease up on the legal terms.

1. I never mentioned cost. 2. I never mentioned a player or back up goalie. 3. I did not slander him as everyone thinks his sideline antics are annoying. 4. I do have an idea he was not invited...trust me. 5. My daughter did not get cut but thanks for the teaching tip. And finally....It was really funny and you know it so take a Valium and ease up on the legal terms.

BTW I never said he wasn't a good coach just that he shouldn't have been there openly lobbying for his kids. That's what people are pissed at I think. My kid made team 3 so she is happy but many are not.
BTW I never said he wasn't a good coach just that he shouldn't have been there openly lobbying for his kids. That's what people are pissed at I think. My kid made team 3 so she is happy but many are not.

Lobbying? My understanding is that each coach gives a grade at a prticular station, then they add up the grades and the kids with the highest grades get put on the top team and so on! Do you really think he was going from coach to coach persuading them to rate the kids he knows higher? Maybe he graded them high, but that is a small percentage of the overall grade. Do you think it might be possible that the Mt Sinai kids are actually good players? Most of their kids made team 1 and 2 so regardless of his scoring other coaches must have thought they can play. These are teenage girls who work hard. Posts like yours, attempt to taint their accomplishments in a public forum. You have NO facts, just speculation. i am sure your daughter works hard too and I am also confident you would not want anyone saying she didn't earn her spot!!! Like an earlier poster wrote. If you have a gripe contact US lax. Don't take shots at kids (indirectly or directly). BTW the whole "Tryout Crashers" Really wasn't that funny! You need better material. I am always up for a good laugh!
Why should he not be there? All other coaches who attended were all doing the same for their kids lobbying. Why single him out? Oh because he is a YJ coach. You can single out Mr Top Gun Levy he had his daughter in tryout? Now that's scary All clubs were well represented including Liberty DG and the Wave sachem East Coach. Don't single out one selector that's just not fair.

Lobbying? My understanding is that each coach gives a grade at a prticular station, then they add up the grades and the kids with the highest grades get put on the top team and so on! Do you really think he was going from coach to coach persuading them to rate the kids he knows higher? Maybe he graded them high, but that is a small percentage of the overall grade. Do you think it might be possible that the Mt Sinai kids are actually good players? Most of their kids made team 1 and 2 so regardless of his scoring other coaches must have thought they can play. These are teenage girls who work hard. Posts like yours, attempt to taint their accomplishments in a public forum. You have NO facts, just speculation. i am sure your daughter works hard too and I am also confident you would not want anyone saying she didn't earn her spot!!! Like an earlier poster wrote. If you have a gripe contact US lax. Don't take shots at kids (indirectly or directly). BTW the whole "Tryout Crashers" Really wasn't that funny! You need better material. I am always up for a good laugh!

Ok. Good response. Point taken. But it was kinda funny though. Maybe a little?
Why should he not be there? All other coaches who attended were all doing the same for their kids lobbying. Why single him out? Oh because he is a YJ coach. You can single out Mr Top Gun Levy he had his daughter in tryout? Now that's scary All clubs were well represented including Liberty DG and the Wave sachem East Coach. Don't single out one selector that's just not fair.
No he gets singled out because he was not originally supposed to be there at all, Coach Allie ,& Coach Gallagher were. Remember he just showed up to "help" in the selection. can I walk on to "help" next year? Did he try to 'help" any non Y.J. players. I doubt it.
No he gets singled out because he was not originally supposed to be there at all, Coach Allie ,& Coach Gallagher were. Remember he just showed up to "help" in the selection. can I walk on to "help" next year? Did he try to 'help" any non Y.J. players. I doubt it.

Again, speculation! Let it go! 60 plus girls made it, I am sure they are all good and deserving.

Again, speculation! Let it go! 60 plus girls made it, I am sure they are all good and deserving.
There is nothing for my daughter to "let go" though invited , she didn't attend because she knows the this event is nothing more than a popularity contest. Yes she is more than good enough to make a team, no we don't care what you think . but there is no speculation he was not supposed to be there and your in denial of how unfair that is. and thats why my daughter would not go to this event.

===================================
Yes, Thank You. Let's Move on.
OK,,, my daughter made the team & your's did not. There is always next year. Get over it!

are they or did you buy there way on?

BUY their way on?
You are comical! Do you think all the evaluators got an envelope? LOL Stop with the sour grapes! Come watch the tournament and decide for yourself if any of the girls are so bad! It is sad that people need to try to drag down others to make themselves or their kids feel better!

It's not buying your way on diirectly. If one spends gobs and gobs of money on tuitions, travel, uniforms, training, camps etc, one should expect some lobbying on their behalf from the organization and coaches taking the money. If it is a large difference in talent a kid won't be denied. But many of the make or break kids are very close talentwise, that's where the politics come into play. Sucks? Sure does, but that's the way it goes. Your time may be better spent kissing someones a$$ and shmoozing the higher ups, than bitching about it on a message board.
It's not buying your way on diirectly. If one spends gobs and gobs of money on tuitions, travel, uniforms, training, camps etc, one should expect some lobbying on their behalf from the organization and coaches taking the money. If it is a large difference in talent a kid won't be denied. But many of the make or break kids are very close talentwise, that's where the politics come into play. Sucks? Sure does, but that's the way it goes. Your time may be better spent kissing someones a$$ and shmoozing the higher ups, than bitching about it on a message board.
This is by far the best, most honest post on the subject. Unfortunately, I , along with other parents teach our kids to not kiss a$$, so in lacrosse our kids will suffer. I have no doubt that my daughters hard work ( no matter what camps, and directors get paid ) will achieve her lax goals without this event. In my mind L.I. has the best players bar none . If the best players got picked, all the tams should win there brackets
This is by far the best, most honest post on the subject. Unfortunately, I , along with other parents teach our kids to not kiss a$$, so in lacrosse our kids will suffer. I have no doubt that my daughters hard work ( no matter what camps, and directors get paid ) will achieve her lax goals without this event. In my mind L.I. has the best players bar none . If the best players got picked, all the tams should win there brackets

Taking this way too far. If it's just a tournament and you could care less then why all the verbal diarrhea? Let it go and move on then. If not you prove the sour grapes theory.

Taking this way too far. If it's just a tournament and you could care less then why all the verbal diarrhea? Let it go and move on then. If not you prove the sour grapes theory.
With people like you we will never prove the theory, You will just say that your kid is better because she made the team , You have a very small 1 tracked mind, and you will do and say anything to dismiss the fact that your kid probably only got on a team because you paid the correct camp/club. I'll be the first to admit that we live in a world of haves, & have not's , you have, we have not . That does not mean you or your daughter deserve it, or in any way better. just that you pay more , and cry louder to people in charge. Like I said , if the best girls are on the team they will win , if not they lose, will you admit it if they lose, no you're the type to come up with an excuse , or blame someone els. I.E. you're the loser.

With people like you we will never prove the theory, You will just say that your kid is better because she made the team , You have a very small 1 tracked mind, and you will do and say anything to dismiss the fact that your kid probably only got on a team because you paid the correct camp/club. I'll be the first to admit that we live in a world of haves, & have not's , you have, we have not . That does not mean you or your daughter deserve it, or in any way better. just that you pay more , and cry louder to people in charge. Like I said , if the best girls are on the team they will win , if not they lose, will you admit it if they lose, no you're the type to come up with an excuse , or blame someone els. I.E. you're the loser.

This brings whining to a new level! Holy Crap! You actually think that Maryland doesn't have good players? Who knows who will win. LI won just the third division last year. Some of the other teams have practiced. The LI teams don't. Whether they win or lose means nothing. What is pathetic is that you will probably hope LI loses to make yourself feel better. If your daughter was good enough to be on team 1, there is no way she was overlooked for all the teams. I am not saying there are no politics at all but there were many coaches from differnt clubs/schools/towns. If you are that good you will be put on a team. I bet most of the selections were right! It is amazing how people will put down other kids for their own agenda!

That's a pretty poor message to pass on to your kid. Are you a socialist? Just wondering.

Let's have no cuts and all team 1's so this parent won't have anything to say about Susie being cut. THEN we will never keep score and no one will strive to improve because everyone will be equal. THEN...............what?

Very well said!

This brings whining to a new level! Holy Crap! You actually think that Maryland doesn't have good players? Who knows who will win. LI won just the third division last year. Some of the other teams have practiced. The LI teams don't. Whether they win or lose means nothing. What is pathetic is that you will probably hope LI loses to make yourself feel better. If your daughter was good enough to be on team 1, there is no way she was overlooked for all the teams. I am not saying there are no politics at all but there were many coaches from differnt clubs/schools/towns. If you are that good you will be put on a team. I bet most of the selections were right! It is amazing how people will put down other kids for their own agenda!

Let's have no cuts and all team 1's so this parent won't have anything to say about Susie being cut. THEN we will never keep score and no one will strive to improve because everyone will be equal. THEN...............what?

Oh that's easy, a snack at half time and a participation trophy! We would not want to have anyone starve during an hour game or be left out of ANYTHING! that would be unAmerican (The New Granola America!) Oh and don't forget to make your daughters tharapist appointment to make sure she was not traumatized by those evil evaluators! Then you can stop by your lawyer to see if you may have a discrimination law suit!! Excuse me, I need to go take a shower to get all this socialist dribble I am reading off of me!

Oh that's easy, a snack at half time and a participation trophy! We would not want to have anyone starve during an hour game or be left out of ANYTHING! that would be unAmerican (The New Granola America!) Oh and don't forget to make your daughters tharapist appointment to make sure she was not traumatized by those evil evaluators! Then you can stop by your lawyer to see if you may have a discrimination law suit!! Excuse me, I need to go take a shower to get all this socialist dribble I am reading off of me!

Amen
So how did the teams do?
So how did the teams do?

Team 3 won their bracket.
Team 2 went 4-0 in the preliminary bracket and lost to Team 1 in the playoffs.
Team 1 lost in the finals.
All showed pretty well.
© US Lacrosse Community Forum