Originally Posted by 429lax

I don't understand why sophomore commitments are being posted. I also don't understand how a sophomore is mature enough to make such a commitment. Seems the NCAA feels the same way, hence the recruiting rules.

I do understand the excitement and pride these players feel and deservedly so. I just think this adds unnecessary pressure to an already intense decision. I think the College Coaches have the responsibility to come up with a better way of acknowledging their interest in a player. Instead of "VERBAL COMMITMENT" maybe they should say "mutual interest". I bet George Carlin could have written a great bit on this.

I could not agree more, I am the parent of an 9th grade player, he has been invited to Jake Reed and I am looking forward to seeing if he can run with these kids, but as I look at my 15 year old from a lacrosse stand point I have no idea how good he is or how good he can be or at what level he can play, I also have no idea how much more he is going to grow. As I look at my 15 year old son I have no idea what he wants to study or how his GPA and SAT's are going to be, he has 1 year of midterms to go by, but I also do not want to screw up what is obviously the biggest decision of his life and fall behind others or miss out on a great opportunity hoping for a better great opportunity that may never happen. This is crazy because what should be a very well researched decision with many factors (education, social and athletic) is becoming almost an entirely lacrosse decision and it is hard. I know a lot of people would love to be in this situation and also say "how can you be making a mistake when you are going to an Ivy League school" but it really is not that easy. I hope the NCAA does do something to push back this process at least into Junior year.