Once again, a tragedy, and our prayers a to all those affected by it. These types of events are most commonly the result of the impact occuring at the same time the heart is at its Most vulnerable point. The use of chest gear does help but may never be able to completely protect against this event. I would be very interested in seeing statistics based on numbers of players today versus those in the past when equipment was not mandated and the incidence of these events. Aed/CPR availability and training is the best single intervention available today. These events respond very well to a rapid response and treatment. Again the need for TRAINED individuals is imperative, equipment can not save lives without proper training. Everyone can help by obtaining training and retraining on a yearly basis. One life is too many to lose without intervention. Our town program requires an aed at each field a game is played, we have not gotten to the point where they are at practices, however I have purchased and carry one of my own. Hopping to never need it.