Maybe a better way to phrase it is "key players from Long Island". Virginia has 3 LI players on their roster.

We do have 10 players on the U19 USA Team so that alone qualifies LI as a "hot bed"

I do think it is very important to get a "reality check" as only 100-110 LI boys are D1 recruits. On average that would be 1 player from each public HS team.

I attended a college forum where D1, D2 and D3 coaches answered questions. Some points of interest to me were:
- No such thing as a full ride anymore. D1 has 12.5 scholarships for 40+ players.
- Grades are extremely important to get academic scholarships. D1 and D2 schools first go to admissions to see how much academic money the player will get before they consider making any type of offer.
- Quote from the D1 coach "D2 and D3 are NOT dirty words, there are a number of great opportunities at great schools. Lacrosse is supposed to be an enjoyable experience."
- Verbal commitments mean absolutely nothing. Cases where the player is still too young to be recruited by NCAA rules and still verbally commits is quote - "magic"
- Multi-Sport athletes are highly regarded. Quote from the D1 coach "A player being coached on a mediocre football team is still a better experience than a lacrosse player training on his own."
- Behavior and respect for ones parents is more important than talent. If a coach hears a player talking badly to his parents - they are immediately crossed off the recruiting list.
- All HS Players need to be aware of how they act and play at all times. You never know who is watching on or off the field.
- Summer tournaments are the most popular recruiting events because the coaches cannot spend the time during their regular season.
- D2 and D3 schools go after all the same players as D1.