Originally Posted by libertydad
I am the father of a goalie , and I can tell you that a goalie is only as good as the defense in front of them, you should be ashamed of yourself for making that quote. My daughter played an entire semifinal game and never faced a shot , she never even touched the ball because the d in front of her was so tight, so if your saying the goalie was bad your really saying that your defenders were bad i.e your son/daughter played poorly, give the kid a break , do you really think it's easy to stand in front of a rock being thrown at you with as much force as a person can muster and try to stop it with your body or a net without ducking, most people would not even try, obviously not your son
Libertydad's opening sentence is incredibly important and the statement gains value as you move closer to high school and collegiate play. While youth parents find it convenient to place blame on the goalie for the goals-against numbers, the fact is that the defenders could have avoided letting the shot go, the midfielders could have been stronger preventing the transition game, and the attack players could have demonstrated better ball control before putting the ball in the net themselves ... and of course, the goalies can keep their own house clean.

The only "keeper" event where a "rock" is fired at you at top speed is hockey and the padding there is thicker than what you have in front of the cage.

Years back on one of my soccer teams, we had some defensemen grousing about their keeper's performance. So, we made each defenseman spend a half game between the pipes. Yes, we lost those two matches (four halves), but the team was stronger as a result - and our defensemen played harder to keep the keeper safe.

Think about it when your team is complaining that the keeper is the weakest link.