Originally Posted by CageSage
While US Lacrosse oversees the registration of players, the result is still a relatively weak system where birthdates, team rosters, and tournament players are regularly questioned both at the field and here on BOTC.

BOTC would very much like to open a dialog with US Lacrosse (perhaps via the LIMLF or directly) to discuss strengthening the player pass system.

What is your view? Is this a problem that requires a solution in order to improve the youth game in the region? Alternatively, is the player flexibility under the current system actually an advantage for player development?

BOTC is extremely interested in your thoughts on this topic.

As a coach, I don't see the disadvantage of having a player pass system. Some coaches and organizations play by the rules regarding age/roster requirements and won't see any impact against them. However, the growing trend is to bring in ringers (same age or older) and fill roster spots for tournaments. Hopefully, a pass system will help prevent coaches from directly contacting (poaching/recruiting) players who are committed to another team and handing them a jersey for a particular tournament and acting like "this kid is on my team". It undermines the whole team concept. If you are short players, then play with what you have - your roster is your roster, period. I know quality players who are farmed out on weekends to various teams to help them win. What message does this send to the kid who works his but off in practice? It tells him you're not good enough. When a team is legitimately short for a tournament, the team should be list as "CLUB Name Free Agent Team". This way, everyone knows that the team you are playing is not the usual club team for that age group, but instead is comprised of added players. Personally, I would rather lose a game with the players who committed to me, than win with a ringer. You can offer me the top player in my age group, if he is not on my roster, I will not take him. Commitment is a two way street - player to player and coach to players. Remember - coaching is teaching - values, ethics, integrity. We need a pass or credentialing system badly.