Originally Posted by Anonymous
Seems like this discussion went off track a little. Question is, what can be done about towns with mutiple (3+) teams and them registering 'even' teams in separate skill based divisions? this seems to be an honest even-split issue. And again, it is apparent it's not the towns fault and it is understood them not wanting to play 3 or more teams from the same town. There has to be a logical, if not ethical solution to this problem. Guess the PAL pro decided not to chime in on this issue.....that's no surprise

Suprise suprise im back ...sorry I had a PAL coaches meeting. There are not many towns that can put in three teams in one division. So you must be talking about GC and Manhasset Farmingdale .....towns. Its a problem most towns wish they had. In my town we only have one age group with 3 teams . We take the top 36 and make two balanced teams out of them and ask to be in div 1 and take all of the newer players and kids that couldn't realistically play against div 1 players and put them on a div 3 team where they usually at best go .500 every season. Our two teams are balanced and strong but never go undefeated. Every game is competeive 1-2 goal games. That is the best I can give as a logical solution to our towns way of dealing with the problem. Maybe this new A team format will solve the issue . The "A" teams will take all of the select players off of the balanced teams and create a all star team to play against other all star teams. That will make the remaining teams weaker so the towns can have their other two teams in div 2. We will not participate in the "A" division.

Why aren't you participating in the A division?

I respect your honesty, truly I do - thank you.....And I am asking the same question - why are you not registering your best 18 kids in the 'A' Division?? Which would only make them better players might I add - From what I learned at my 'coaches meeting' is that any town that divides A/B MUST register their 'A' team(s) in division 1 - why not just make an A div team of 18? then have a team in B and your newer kids in D?.....it sounds like you are registering with an 'Even Split' though (can be done at all grades) - but in essence, you are not splitting evenly ---- Right here my friends is the problem - there are so many ways to skirt the PAL system. It is extremely flawed in more ways than one. I am sure there are numerous kids who have been left back on these so called B teams as well

I think the problem is that some towns have much deeper talent pools. The top 18 from one town could beat the pants off the top 18 from another. Some towns can probably put two teams in the A division by splitting the top 30 kids. I don't know if I am misunderstanding but the bigger towns seem to have a big advantage here. Even teams seems a lot more fair.