Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
Stop making blanket statements!!! Every situation is different and every program has their own philosophy. Some "Big Time" top 20 schools like to spread the money around (give 25 -60%) and get more kids that are very good and have a chance to be starters. Some of the "Big Time" top 10 schools like to identify 2-4 girls they feel are "can't miss" impact players that they offer 75% plus to. YES some FULL RIDES (athletic, including room, board and books))!!! They are able to do this because they will get Very good players to go there for little or no money, because they are happy to get into a great college and have a chance to win a national championship. (who knows, they may get academic or financial money as well.
Please allow BOTC to offer some calculation based on your numbers.

First, let's look at the NCAA scholarship counts. Remember that lacrosse is an equivilency sport which allows for fractionated scholarship offers and that these are measured not in terms of dollars but annual funding of a single spot.

NCAA D1 Sport ...... Men's Women's
Lacrosse ........... 12.6 / 12.0

NCAA D2 Sport ...... Men's Women's
Lacrosse ........... 10.8 / 9.9

For ease of calculations, let's just use a total team scholarship count of 12.0.

Your calculations suggest 25%-60% athletic scholarships are awarded. If the average recruiting class contains 10 student-athletes, that would imply upwards of 2.5 total scholarships to a freshman class. If you assume the midpoint, that would imply 4.25 scholarships which over four class years would come out to 17.0 scholarships exceeding the NCAA limit. Hence, clearly, an average of 0.425 across 10 recruits is too high.

Now, let's go to your 75% estimate for a targeted set of 4 can't-miss recruits. That would come to 3.0 scholarships which multiplied by 4 classes would imply the full allocation of 12.0 awards. Hence, no other entering students would receive money nor would any existing award winner see their award increased. So, clearly four student-athletes getting 0.75 athletic scholarship does not work either.

Hence, we can conclude that both of your sets of numbers are wrong. If that does not convince you, let's try it this way : What very good player will attend an institution for no athletic scholarship in order to allow four other players to harvest the bounty?

BOTC has said the same thing over and over - a 0.25 offer is a solid freshman offer on average. If you work the numbers from a 0.25 base, you will start to understand why that award becomes the standard.

Cage
If u look closer at my post I wrote that some kids don't receive anything or will get academic or financial money. When I say 25-60 % there may only be one recruit a year who gets 60% or maybe in some cases none, but if they really value you they will go to that level. And for the other scenario I wrote 2-4. Some years may be 2 which might only eat up 1.5 scholarships then the other 10 will get 0 - 25% . Again many will get just academic money much like the schools who are not fully funded. It may change year to year based on how good they think the recruit is. I have asked the questions and sat in front of many of the schools you are referring to. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say a 25% scholarship is not good. I am just saying that there may be more out there to get with some schools because their strategy is different.

You are RIGHT ON with your reply and that is exactly how it works. We have sat in most of the schools coaches offices last year and you are correct in your analysis. Also to respond to the poster calling everyone a moron...our daughter received full athletic scholarship offers from mostly all of the schools mentioned except Virginia. Morons in glass houses.....

Sure she did! It's easy to say with no proof. Nobody believes you. If that is true, it is a true exception and your daughter must be a real superstar getting 100% full ride offers including all room , board etc. to Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Princeton, You must be so proud!!!