Originally Posted by Anonymous
Sorry to tell you. There is no big time money in a true big time program at the most elite schools. Fact is they don't have too. There are so many top notch kids dying to go there that they are happy with their 25%. And if that is not enough cash, there is someone else just as good waiting in line. Other schools have to give big scholarships to attract those top kids. If anyone tells you different, they are lying!

YOU ARE SO WRONG!

I don't believe you for one minute! There is nobody getting full rides in lacrosse! Full ride being 100% of tuition AND room and board in ATHLETIC money. You may be getting grants aid and academic money that are coningent on rigorous standards. That is not the same as an athletic full ride, sorry.
My daughter is committed to a big time, elite (top 20) school and received, as you say, big money. We know of some others in the same boat. So once again your OPINION is wrong. Take it from someone going through it now not someone who may have missed the boat.

Do not listen to gossip being typed by those who have an axe to grind. Their words are not worth the shavings on the ground!

Stop making blanket statements!!! Every situation is different and every program has their own philosophy. Some "Big Time" top 20 schools like to spread the money around (give 25 -60%) and get more kids that are very good and have a chance to be starters. Some of the "Big Time" top 10 schools like to identify 2-4 girls they feel are "can't miss" impact players that they offer 75% plus to. YES some FULL RIDES (athletic, including room, board and books))!!! They are able to do this because they will get Very good players to go there for little or no money, because they are happy to get into a great college and have a chance to win a national championship. (who knows, they may get academic or financial money as well.
For anyone who is looking for a college for their daughter, get as much as you can. Don't be afraid to ask. They will tell you no or they just may surprise you. For the people keep saying it doesn't exist, you are only looking at your own situation or the people you know. A better way to put it is that "it is not very common to get a Full Ride, so if you are counting on that then you may be disappointed"!

Agreed for the most part, but what you are talking about happens at schools like Maryland and Syracuse, not the super elite, because again, THEY DON'T HAVE TO! Maryland will lure in a UNC or Duke bound girl with a big scholarship. Super elite schools do not give full rides! I have been through this as well and am very friendly with girls ranked in the top 10 nationally. The only ones who got large amounts of money were the ones that sacrificed prestige for $$

If Duke is in your "prestige" school, I know they offer 80% plus!
I also don't think a kid is sacrificing anything by choosing Maryland ,USC, Florida, Penn State,Michigan, Ohio State etc.. over your so called prestige schools. Some families put more weight in having the right fit and a big time college experience. Some may think you are sacrificing by going to a smaller school with less going on. Its all preference! The academics at those schools are all top 50 with all the bells and whistles. Many would take less money to attend those schools. There are many kids that will pick (and have) those schools over your "prestige" schools given the finances are the same. I know I would! Again, every situation is different and for the right kid a Full scholarship will be there at any school!

The top schools do not need to give full rides, no matter how amazing your princess is, sorry.