Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by 429lax
I think it is a good idea to have a tryout fee. $50.00 or under is a bargain. Pinnies, fields and evaluators cost money. Pinnies are absolutely necessary for the evaluators to do their job correctly and I've never met a player who did not want one.

To me, the toughest part of the tryout is making the commitment within 48 hours of the invitation. This might be a whole new thread, but I would like to hear what others think about this. On one side you have the players wanting to check out a couple of teams while the Clubs need answers right away to move on down the list and fill their rosters. What is fair? Clubs that have multiple teams in the same grade are filling a need for a lot of players. But with all the choices it takes players time to decide. Do the Clubs only institute the 48 hour rule for the top team? Top 2 teams?

One tryout we went to they gave us pinnies with numbers and after the tryout we returned them. tryout was $25.00 Pinnies aren't necessary yes the kids like them, they also love sugar but thats not necessary either. I think it was Stampede they charged two new lacrosse balls to tryout. Are they not a good enough club since they don't charge an exorbitant fee? My understanding is they have a very good club. Some of the new teams popping up are charging $50.00. Do they have the same expenses as the bigger clubs? Or are they just charging what they know is the norm?

I think if you go to a tryout and they call, you either accept after 24 hours or you take your chances with the other clubs you are looking to get on. It's not the other kids fault that you cannot decide where you wanna play. The clubs have a responsibility to get back to there prospective players as soon as possible. When you tell me 3 - 5 days than it shouldn't turn into 3 weeks. The reason it turns into 3 weeks is people like you that hold things up for everyone else. The decision should be made by who you tryout for, so if you make one of the teams be happy and move on. Do you tryout for teams that you do not want to play for?

The pinnies cost the clubs tops $5.00 a piece. Some probably only $3.00 charge me 45.00 instead of 50.00

I never have and never will hold up anyone else. Any response required has always followed the condition set by the Club. I was just asking what other people thought was fair due to all the agony posted by people waiting to hear.

I would not let my son tryout for a team he would not play for. This reasoning advocates tryout fees. The fee ensures the players will show up. If the "perfect" club had no fee, there would be tons of players at the tryout that would be a logistical nightmare to evaluate. It would be great if a Club could manage this nightmare and field strong teams with great coaching. Easier said than done.

Express and 91 had hundreds per age group all willing to pay the fee. Good for them. As a business they should generate the revenue.

If you make the top team at one of these organizations or any other of the many teams available it is easy to commit within 24 to 48 hours. What about the remaining 75% of the players? Is it fair to them to commit to a team when there has been no coaches set? Is it fair to the Club to hire coaches they may not need if they cannot field enough players? Just some questions for the forum with hopes of generating good ideas.

Maybe fl$ is the smartest of the bunch. Very high tryout fee - will only get very interested players. They also limit the amount of registrants. Very high program cost - includes high end quality gear. Only 1 Team per age group - Coaches and tournaments set months ago. In this case it is not unreasonable to require a 24 hour response. Regardless of any one persons opinion about the cost, if they fill the rosters than they are in business.

Competition is the only thing that will change any of this. We should be thankful for all the new organizations sprouting up. I hope we get some good ones.