Originally Posted by Anonymous
I need some advice... I have a 7th grade son playing on an Elite level team in HOCO.

He is a pretty good player. In his career, he has primarily played midfield but also has played some attack. He seems to be pretty talented at facing off.

Objectively, he is probably the 3rd or 4th best faceoff middie in the Elite division. He is not playing a pure FOGO role on his club team but the coach prefers to lean on him for faceoffs over the other two options. This diminishes his role offensively as he doesn't have as much gas left in the tank on many possessions.

We send our kids to public high schools with solid but not great lacrosse programs.

I think he has enough ability to play just about any offensive position in high school. I also think he has a solid chance to be able to play at a decent D3 college if he desires.

I feel like the learning curve to be a good FOGO is not that steep... high school coach recruits a dominant wrestler and in two years this kid is solid simply because of hand speed, athleticism and experience with using body leverage.

On the other hand, it's hard to grab a top attack or offensive mid spot without years of experience working on stick skills, game IQ etc...

QUESTION... If I want to maximize his options in college, should I encourage him to move away from Faceoff Mid and towards Offensive Mid / Attack?

Your son isn’t the 3rd or 4th best face off kid in the division.