Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Um just because a Dad coaches a team doesn't mean the team isn't elite. Maybe have your kid improve by getting extra practice in, outside of team practice.Extra reps and extra commitment will make him better. Unless you truly believe that by being on a elite team you automatically become better. There's a reason he is not on one now.

This is a good thread….

Honest question… I’ve heard that elite club’s generally are great at developing talent but rather at recruiting it. That would kind of make sense as it’s much easier to get a more talented player than it is to coach/motivate an existing player to become great.

Do you agree?

And if so, what clubs do you think do a great job of developing players?

I don't think clubs develop players. Clubs can provide an opportunity and environment where the player can develop. Ultimately whether a player develops is based on their motivation, athleticism, playing IQ, and opportunity. What the elite clubs provide is the opportunity to play with/against higher level players. Reps against better players enable development more than reps against lesser players.

I do think coaching matters but probably not as much as most believe. Don't expect a coach to motivate a player or improve their athleticism. They can help with playing IQ but they can't dedicate a ton of time to any particular player. What they can provide is lots of meaningful reps so a player can figure out what works and what doesn't in an environment without fear. I don't think elite clubs necessarily have any better coaches. Best bet is to find a parent on a team and ask them about the environment, pace of practices, and depth chart.