Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is a serious question not a troll post. Unless your kid is a superstar on an elite team in eighth grade, what is the point of going to a private school for sports? (I get it if you have religious or education reasons.). It would seem to me that instead of spending $40,000 a year at Landon your pocketbook and your kid would have a much better time if you just bought a house in Bethesda and your son played for whitman or Churchill.

There is no financial reason for going to a private school for sports and paying full tuition. What you are paying for as sports are concerned are:
1) opportunity for your kid to play against the highest level of competition available (both on their own team and against other teams)
2) more professional and committed coaching
3) year round organized team activities and training
4) nicer facilities

It all just depends on if those things are important for your kid. In our case, my son would be basically playing rec lacrosse with mostly kids who never picked up a stick before if he went to the local public school. I don't think that will be a great experience. We're lucky enough to be able to afford it so I'm willing to sacrifice so my son has a better HS experience. It will be a huge net loss financially for me.