Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is a serious question not a troll post. Unless your kid is a superstar on an elite team in eighth grade, what is the point of going to a private school for sports? (I get it if you have religious or education reasons.). It would seem to me that instead of spending $40,000 a year at Landon your pocketbook and your kid would have a much better time if you just bought a house in Bethesda and your son played for whitman or Churchill.

I mean it seems like you answered your own questions.

When it comes to real estate, not everybody wants to buy a $900K split level house wedged inbetween two houses in Bethesda, so they can sit on 495 twice a day to go to a similar job they already have in Baltimore or Annapolis. And many lax parents (stereotype) are business owners and their business is "where it is."

Add to that, many parents already took that bait and got stuck in the trap of buying a $700-900K split level house in Severna Park, Towson, Lutherville, Columbia for the "amazing public schools" that have decreased in quality quite rapidly over the last 10 years. So even if the move to MoCo was a smart one, they'd hesitate to make it.

Then on top of it, the school experience is fundamentally different at a high level private/religious school vs a high level public school, although there's an argument that the large, co-ed Catholic HS environment is pretty similar to a good public HS...with very similar problems too. So.... I didn't say better, I said different. And different parents want different things. Different kids are successful in different environments.