Genuine question here to try and find out more about the process and hopefully this won't devolve into a reclassing argument. Can anyone shed a little more light on a post-grad (PG) year? I know that not all PG years are created equal but in my "research" it looks like it falls into 3 categories:

1) Some will PG because they have an "offer" in hand from a college but the college wishes them to PG for either roster reasons, COVID reasons, position is full reasons, or they want the athlete to improve grades or get bigger/stronger/faster so they roster them for a year at a PG school. They usually end up at a "top" program"

2) Some will PG but they don't have any arrangements set up with a college; they just hope to get noticed during the summer before their PG year / during the PG year. They usually do not go on to a "top" lax program but end up playing lax somewhere because by the time they PG, most of that class they have moved into has already been recruited at the top programs.

3) In between 1 and 2. No "offer" has been extended but the PG coach is usually well connected where they feel confident about getting a spot for the PG. Where they end up is hit or miss.

Is this generalization correct? I know there are no statistics but which one of those categories do PG's generally fall into? IS PG'ing worth it? Do you have to take SAT's again / get new letters of recs / etc? Curious about this process and hopefully some can shed some light on this.