Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not sure why people are spending so much time on this. It was never going to happen, especially at the high school level. If 91LI wants it so badly, they should start their own tournament. I’m not sure who’d be in it, but they could try.

If you don’t know why then you are either a holdback Dad, not too bright or both.

I’m not a holdback dad and you’re the one not too bright. They’re going into high school so they’re going to play against older kids. Get used to it.

Everyone acts like there’s no JV team in High School. Yes kids will play 2 of their 4 years against kids a year older than them in High School. Against a holdback they are playing a kid 2 years older. The holdback player never plays anyone older than him throughout all 4 years. You’re ok with cheating and that’s fine. Good luck teaching your kid morals when you have none yourself. You can’t reason with people that believe the ends always justify the means.

This post caught my eye. My son is an undersized on age 2024. Always been very undersized and still is today. His first few years of lacrosse, I played him up a year. Then brought him down to on age where he’s been ever since. Never ever considered holding him back. My moral compass simply would not allow it. And I’m appalled at people that do it. But there were huge benefits that I learned from the experience. I raised a hard nosed competitor, willing and eager to compete to be his best. And in fact the best. No quitting. No going the warm and fuzzy way of going the easiest possible route. No daddy buying him playing time against younger, weaker, smaller and slower opponents. My boy set his goals early on and EARNED what he got through a relentless work ethic and unwavering determination. This work ethic carried over to the classroom.

How did it turn out?? He soared past every single holdback as an undersized on age player throughout his youth career and was rewarded during college recruiting as a prized recruit. He committed to his dream school shortly after 9/1, which is both an elite level institution and lacrosse program. And maybe best of all, he got a deal where I won’t be paying a dime for college (and zero loans).

I have realized in so many ways that not holding him back gave my son life lessons that will serve him the rest of his life. Work ethic. Determination. Goal setting and achievement. Over all odds. Powerful life lessons to be sure. Kid simply put is a big time winner, which is in large part due to not holding him back. Holdback parents think they are helping their children by holding them back. Giving their kids an unfair advantage. However, in the big picture, they are hurting their children in sooooo many different ways.

All you parents of on age athletes. Stay the course knowing you are not only doing “the right thing” but also what is truely in your sons best interest.

No he wasn't and no he isn't. Put your name on it if this is the shining example.