Originally Posted by Anonymous
I wonder why there is not a New Jersey cup for youth and high school?

I think it would be a good thing to bring all NJ players to same tournament and battle it out.

No offense, but you must be new to the forum...

I don't see this happening in HS, but I don't think it's a fool idea for the youth programs in the state, especially programs not named Leading Edge and BBL.

They do this in other areas of the country - they have the HOCO spring league in MD for all of the club teams to battle it out.

Why wouldn't Patriot, Steps, Riot, Southshore, 2 Knights, NJLC, Jersey Express, etc want to do a Sunday afternoon spring league for club teams based in NJ?

It's an opportunity for the boys to spend more time with their club teams/coaches in the spring . . . and it's an opportunity for the clubs to make more money which is why it will happen eventually..

The problem is that once this happens, fewer and fewer elite kids will play for their rec teams and it will eventually turn into the soccer model - elite kids play on elite club teams only and rec is only kids that don't play club.

Notwithstanding the appetite of the clubs to actually set this up, many of the club coaches are coaching high school during the spring, while others are college players, so staffing may be an issue.

i remember, i believe it was summer 2020 - patriot started a weekly "club" league. It was Patriot, Riot, STEPS and Thunder. was a fun thing to coach in.