Originally Posted by Anonymous
Reclasses in HS are not an issue because everyone has physically matured by that time. However, it is a safety issue at the youth level and it looks like US lacrosse is finally trying to do something about it.
Its interesting that you all always believe the reclass is the bigger kid playing against smaller kids. My reclass and a bunch of the others we know were the smaller kids that hadn’t gone through puberty and were immature for their grade. Great part is, each kept playing on age until they reclassed in HS ahead of recruiting and I can assure you that you would have only noticed my player for his skill and small size. Some thought he was playing up. Of course he stayed the course, had to battle all the big bad meanies that went through puberty before him so when he joined a league and team full of reclasses he has shot to the top. Simple fact folks, youre twisting narratives to your like. The holdback is not always the biggest and oldest in the class. More often than not it is the smallest, youngest and most immature. In 6-8th grades how many kids were bigger and taller and you would say, what did he drive here. Just to find out the kid was an early bloomer and fell off by 9th grade when everyone caught up. Stop kidding yourselves, age based does not solve all. Kids develop on different time levels.
I close with 3 points.
1- reclassing before HS or playing down at club level really is sad. Do what you want but really?
2- LI has a lot of tee shirts but is no longer a hotbed for top D1 programs.
3- Lacrosse was grade based for so long because they wanted to grow the game and it is better to have kids who are in school together on the same team than have kids who are the same age but in different grades play together. Friends bring friends and more friends grows the game. If I can play with my buddy Tony who I sit next to all day Im going to be happier than playing with Mark who is in a different grade and has different friend group.