Originally Posted by Anonymous
I can’t understand Coppermine’s results as most here also mention. They have a group of good coaches on their sidelines. I have also heard a lot of buzz about many girls being recruited to local High Schools too or at least certain parents claim. I believe all go to private schools or will be in HS. I would say they could be as high was 6th but as low as 11th ( out of 27A team). More curious about some other teams- SWB (picked up so talented kids), Integrity (after last year) and M&D Shore (what impact will being associated with M&D have).

Not sure if this is the case with this group, but I have noticed in general that people seem to use the word "recruited" very liberally. What does it actually mean to be "recruited"? That the coach said "hey yeah we'd love to have you."?? Or does it mean that the coaching staff actively pursued the student and/or gave them money towards tuition to attend? I've heard the word used to describe both situations.

Curious about this too. I have a daughter in private school now and am aware of financial aid but do schools actively “recruit “ girls to play at HS? Are they getting free rides or scholarships for athletics? I heard many friends and others talk about it (this school wants her or the coach asked where we are going) but are schools actually actively recruiting or is this just some parents egos? I knows boys have schools that do.

Do coaches actively recruit girls to play? Without a doubt. Sometimes it is directly, more often through a club coach to express interest.

Athletic scholarships are a tricky term. I haven't heard anyone boy or girl who got a scholarship to play a sport. However, I know several families (most of whom didn't need financial aid) who got very favorable financial aid packages and just happened to have a star lax or football player. You be the judge.